RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

29,601 to 29,620 of 36,118 messages
25/04/2013 at 22:30

2old - did you both get a confirmation email?  I didn't but Mr Minni did.  I see from the fb page there seem to be quite a few that didn't.  Of course the contact link doesn't work.  I'll check my bank account but the money might not be taken straight away anyway.

CG - you'll be back in no time.  You're very strong mentally and physically.
Survived kettles.  The lady was concerned that I hadn't done it before and explained how hard it was.  She told me to stop if I felt faint and was very concerned that I had no water, insisting that I would need about half a litre.

Anyway I didn't break sweat, so didn't faint or need water! lol!  But surprising my legs were fine and felt like the stretching really helped.  i'm going to add it in every week.

25/04/2013 at 22:30
2old/FRC - I'm a few consistent campaigns away from being able to safely do proper 'high' mileage and join that debate. Even if I felt my body could take it I don't think I would want to do more than 40-50/week - mainly cos I want that time for doing other sports, and I really think cross training helps - its certainly helped me get my fitness back this year.

Barry - I like the format you used to show your training, I'll dig mine out and do similar when I get the chance.

Chick - hope you get to boston. I'm definitely doing VLM next year - I'm not gonna go anywhere else while its still my local!

That's cool some of you guys got tickets/entries to the olympic park events - I'm bike touring when its on so will miss out on hearing the roars from my flat. The park is changing every time I go by - can't wait for it to start opening up again soon.
25/04/2013 at 22:36
Minni we've got a few ideas for wedding photos I registered for the lucozade thing on Tuesday morning and got an email today saying a tshirt is on it's way

FRC that's some impressive racing so soon after London!

Free I reckon Branson has a hair stylist who created his 'marathon finish line' look. Lots of volume going on. A bit envious. Think I might update my magnet too!

Ouch Oompa, knee sounds sore!

4M easy tonight in the sunshine, I cracked! Knew I wouldn't last the week
26/04/2013 at 01:15
Carrot, was the last race of the season, lots doing Manchester or had done VLM so low on numbers - taking one for the team this time.

Mrs FRC did the race too, rang me with sat nav driving her in circles about 20 miles away, 30 mins before the start. Very pissed with me. Turned up right next to start line with 1 min to go and just left the car. Not surprisingly she had a very aggressive start! Digit wrong in the postcode she had put in.
I'm going to help her and pals train during the summer and back off speedy stuff.

KFC, I'm with you on lower mileage and cross training working, I've only gone above 40 miles a week twice since mid December, and that's when I did ultra or a marathon. Be interesting if more post their approx weekly mileage like Barry to get to VLM, plus an idea of sessions.

How are everyone's legs feeling?

Forum email alerts have stopped since mid week or only me?
26/04/2013 at 07:07

Blade - I did New Forest Marathon a few years back. Nice event and lovely course. Quite undulating from memory although my main memory is that it was about 32 degrees. I walked the last 5 miles.....

26/04/2013 at 07:53

Carrot - I've not had any email from Lucozade yet...hopefully the t-shirt will just arrive!

Minni - I nearly get taken out by the kettles in the gym I use as they run a class at lunchtimes...hardly any space so they do it in the area that's meant to be reserved for stretching.  They are lethal!

I'm going for a run later...

26/04/2013 at 08:33

Enjoy your run, Freemers

I managed to pull something in my quad last night
Got out of the car and must have done a weird movement - suddenly I felt a sharp pain that made me cry out loud  (well, I swore actually - the cry was "f**k!"). It was very sore all evening but I put Voltarol and ice on it and kept massaging the area. It feels fine while I walk but climbing upstairs hurts (downstairs is fine) and getting up from a seated position really hurts. No idea what I did

FRC: nice article - they even mention Hamburg in it

26/04/2013 at 08:55

Chick - ouch! Hopefully just a pull and ice will do the trick.  To take your mind of it I suggest you listen to Marathon Talk - the podium will interest you this week

Edited: 26/04/2013 at 08:56
26/04/2013 at 09:02

Sorry to hear you've pulled your quad Chick, hope it's not too serious.

Interesting to read about the mileage debate. I'm pretty sure I need to change something, as I keep getting injured. I was thinking about changing brand of trainers to see if that helps, but also I've got a mate who runs a Regiment Fitness class at the end of my road each Saturday morning. Really not my bag, but thinking that maybe working more muscle groups might be the way forward?   

I'll try to dig my mileage out too, but I think it will look very similar to yours Barry, although with barely any cross-training!

If you get a chance to dig out that article FRC, I'd love to read it

Achilles definitely on the mend, but still very apprehensive about first steps of my run tomorrow. Will head to the park next to home just in case I break down.

26/04/2013 at 10:06

Morning all-cant believe its nearly a week since you all did VLM and Hamburg

Minni-yes I got an email receipt. If you werent sweating you werent trying As Red says working on the core and other muscles is needed to help deal with injury risk so thats back on my agenda now but cant say kettles are

KFC-Ive worked up over the years40-45-5-55-60-65-nearly 70 and get injured every 2 years as Ive gone along so that says Im doing something wrong. Im looking at reintroducing cross training for a more balanced approach.The problem is Im not into long bike rides and swims are just a necessary evil

Carrot-4miles in the sun?-bliss

FRC-poor Mrs FRC-dont put her off running as it will be a lot tougher for you if you do.Good to see you coaching her too.Mine wouldnt take any notice.If the email alert was working our in boxes would be overloaded

Chick-ouch-it should be nothing although it is a warning to all that recovery from Sunday will take time

Red-good to see your Achilles is on the mend-Im thinking mine is too though I still have the morning stiffness in the heel and am aware of tingling in the area from time to time. Im really holding back from running as long as my sanity will let me but its tough. Its still early days really-14 days- so I dont want to tempt fate. I did a military fitness training regime when I was training for Berlin and it seemed to set of my knee tendonitis. Tendon troubles are a reoccuring issue with me. Changing trainers is on the list too as I wonder if using the same ones all the time causes the impact of running to be directed to the same points in the legs without respite. When I returned to running after my previous achilles problem I used two pairs which I alternated and one pair-Brooks Adrenaline-had more stability than the other -Asics.

Mnagaged 32k spinning watching the build up to and the first half of the Chelsea game last night.

Family birthday celebrations this weekend in the land of my fathers so no training but may swim before I go.

Edited: 26/04/2013 at 10:07
26/04/2013 at 13:26

KFC/ 2Old- I probably averaged just under 60mpw in this campaign. I always managed to do relatively high mileage and not get injured. I think what got me this time was that I didn't give myself enought time to pick up speed with VLM following San Seb so closely. Not making the same mistake again!

I found out today by the way that my Berlin entry is non refunable/ transfarable or deferrable. Any takers?

Carrot- nice run last night. I'm so so tempted... but resisting at the moment.

Chick- ouch, hope it's nothing serious!

FRC- well done to Mrs FRC.

I've got most of my races planned for the next few months. Lots and lots of 10k suffering on the horizon...

26/04/2013 at 13:30

10k suffering doesn't sound good, Bro ...   How annoying about Berlin!

Freemers: haven't got through to the podium yet - they were still going on about the women's race when I listened to it this morning. I thought I'd missed the cut-off again for my submission but by the sound of it I may have made it and got my 2 secs of fame

26/04/2013 at 13:42

Freemers - I almost took myself out with the kettle!!  nuff said. 

26/04/2013 at 13:45

Loving the new formatting on iPhone. 

26/04/2013 at 14:03

Chick - I think the rest of us missed the cut off or (like me) forgot completely

Trendy 5 d&d in the sunshine....calves feeling a little tight but all fine apart from that.

26/04/2013 at 14:07

Whoop whoop Chick on the podium. 

26/04/2013 at 14:25

Chick - congrats on your 2 seconds !!!

26/04/2013 at 14:55

Team Minni Reference Library with links to all the others sheets.

Get updating folks.

26/04/2013 at 15:04

Minni . Kettle bells are excellent, they're in my weekly circuits for last 14-16 months. but you do have to careful. Mrs FRC got bursitis in elbow banging one on against the arm, swelling up, and was out for 2-3 weeks.

Chic whilst you're on the podium. Injury update please! What went?

Reders, the Military fitness type circuits in the park are good, but depends what equipment they use. If its meant to be a recovery session between running days, some do lots of sprinting, shuttle runs. Worth asking. Less impact the better works really well for me. Otherwise look for a gym based one, less space = less running. Cross Fit style one maybe. 

Brol - so we could run Berlin as you then?

Supposedly a VLM announcement this afternoon about 2014 times required. Likely changes to more like NYC or Boston levels?

26/04/2013 at 15:27

FRC- providing you run a decent time, yes!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.