RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

29,641 to 29,660 of 36,992 messages
26/04/2013 at 22:31

A real mixture CG but quite a lot of shorter stuff this time (short distance is my weakness) and once or twice a week.  I've been getting coached by Moraghan for the last two years so he does the thinking and I do the running.

26/04/2013 at 22:32

Oh Xpost will read back Minni's stuff.

26/04/2013 at 22:33

Fingers crossed you are in Minni, that'd be great.

26/04/2013 at 22:40

Well it's certainly working for you Minni. I think I read that your next focus is on bringing your 10k/ HM times down which should have a knock on effect on your marathon. Sub 3 next time,eh?

26/04/2013 at 22:52

I have to say that I think to reach your marathon potential you have to put the miles in, and runner will only get so far on a lower mileage base.  That might be as fast as the runner wants to get, which is fine.  And the higher the mileage the easier the majority of those miles need to be - not running everything too fast.

26/04/2013 at 23:07

Wow, a couple of days in the wilderness and so many posts! Still tied to my iPad so no race report yet. I cannot deface it. See, even that last sentence was mucked up by the auto thingy. FRC, please send me the guide you mentioned ages ago 

Too many glasses of red for me to remember everything I've just read back. Loving the defacing of the Timex magnets. I also gave the bloke on the Timex stand a stern talking to about the lack of 2013 magnets and was told I was not the only one To complain........

Glad people are managing to get out and run again. I did a spin class today and will go for my first post-race run on Sunday, hopefully. I think my aims so far are no autumn marathon, but to try and lock in some races in the autum when the season kicks off again in Dubai. Then aim for 3:30 in Dubai marathon at the end of Jan.

27/04/2013 at 00:39

Loving reading this thread some dedicated runners here and nice to see a few old faces still posting

Minni - your stats on weekly mieage and long runs was interesting. I think one of the reason I fell short on the 3:30 was due to lack of weekly mileage, if I ever get back to the marathon distance will be increasing weekly mileage in months leading up thats for sure

But thats a long way off, still, proud of my 3.3 at 9:47 pace today !!

27/04/2013 at 08:09

Speedsheep - all my posts from home are on ipad as I don't have a computer at all. You could go to settings general keyboard autocorrection OFF. 

Will get on the turbo trainer shortly when I've had breakfast. No running today.

27/04/2013 at 08:18

Cycling this weekend - 30 miles yesterday afternoon to check the touring bikes over after their winter hibernation -- now off for a proper ride. Cold has now gone to my chest

27/04/2013 at 08:53

3:30 or bust - I think consistency has played a big part too. Back In the day when we were all posting on your thread (when was that - 2004 ish) I used to start marathon training in Jan, build up, run the marathon, them spend the rest of the year generally mucking about before starting it all again.  So I was never really improving because I was always starting from the same level.  Since Oct 2010 I've had consistent training and this has brougt my times down. 

As they say: it's a marathon not a sprint.  

27/04/2013 at 08:54

Good luck Cookster! (I think it's this weekend) 

27/04/2013 at 09:03

Minni - Wise words. The consistancy is the key, I had a friend who was a a 2:35 man in his day, he was always drumming that into me. But around that time when I was running London I was rather like yourself starting in January

I need consistancy even at my lowly level at the moment - over the past years I have always been "making a come back" running 10 miles a week then doing nothing - then 10 3 weeks latre etc. No good trying to be more consistant now.

But will be honest even though I am only on 3.3, from my legs I can tell this is going to be a long Journey of a year I think even for a half - got one planned for April 14 but still going to put VLM application in. 

Edited: 27/04/2013 at 09:05
27/04/2013 at 09:10

That's the spirit! Everyone here had a slightly different approach to their training and we're all at different levels but we all have the same determination.   Also, we don't mind being total shite from time to time.

27/04/2013 at 09:13

It's great to read about everybody's plans going forward!

Sarah: you definitely have a sub 3:15 in you. I have zero doubts that you will nail it.

Bro: echo what BarryB said. Carrot did really well in Berlin last year on low-ish mileage. And Berlin is a fantastic event. It will be fun to run it with no pressure at all, just work the crowds and enjoy the atmosphere.

col: love your post "there is no distance like the marathon"  Right you are!

wow Spoons: up to 18 miles already! Amazing.

carrot: I think the cross training is really important. I will start doing 2 weekly core sessions and stick to them. I will also have to do more leg strengthening stuff. Thinking of drills and lunges and things like that and hopefully I can persuade Mr. Chick to join a gym in winter so we can train together on 2 or 3 evenings.

Becs: what a brilliant post. Makes me want to hug you. Excellent news from the physio and brilliant you got a place in the Olympic Park Run

CG: you are a TM member already . You are a very strong runner and I'm sure you have a bunch of PBs in you. When I started posting on RW it was people like you, Minni, AA, Sue C (whatever happened to her?) that inspired me. I never thought I was remotely in your league (I was running 4hr maras back then, not really improving greatly). Now I'm thinking about 3:15!

I have just checked the race calendar in my area again ... all I need to do now is to convince Mr. Chick that it's a good idea for me to run a 10k every Sunday in June ...

27/04/2013 at 09:25

Chick - I think Sue C got a back injury a couple of years ago and not sure if she's been back since. 

I filled in my race schedule last night - so many 10ks lined up but they'll mostly be used as hard training runs. 

27/04/2013 at 10:19

2old/becs I've finally got my confirmation email for the Olympic run so see you there!

27/04/2013 at 10:20

Sounds like a world of pain Minni!

Thanks for the kind words Chick. You are an inspiration to me now.

O4S- if 30 miles is just a warm up, how far will you be venturing today?

3:30- I think your fitness will return more quickly than you think. Every little bit counts.

Just taken my 8 year old for her first park run on a pretty hilly course and she ran the entire way without stopping in a time of 34:19. She is now saying she will beat that time next week. Can't think where she gets that from 

27/04/2013 at 10:22

X post - I meant all the 10ks

27/04/2013 at 10:37

1 hour on the turbo,  4 min plank and 50 press ups done. Now off to enjoy the sunshine!

27/04/2013 at 12:53

GO COOKS!!! 

I can feel a sub 3.10 coming.

Minni & 3.30 - I'm guilty of being in the "start January" camp. Normally, get the Spring mara d & d and then let things slip either due to injury recovery or that i just don't like running when it's hot, so don't do as much as i should through the Summer, and then start again in the Autumn, then Christmas gets in the way, etc... etc... yada, yada, yada. 

I am going to make a concerted effort this year to be more consistent with my running mileage as it has clearly worked for you Minni... Just as soon as i recover from this injury!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.