RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

29,701 to 29,720 of 37,175 messages
28/04/2013 at 22:54

After all the races I done over they years I kept all the times( along with about 5 years of training records) on excel spreadsheets and had backed them up to a floppy disc (dinosaur technology) my computer crashed so after searching for ages found someone with a floppy drive and managed to get them put onto my new PC

This was about 4 years ago before we moved to Scotland. Since then yet another PC crashed and I lost the lot about 2 years ago but wasnt bothered much but its been bugging me loosing all that info and London Times.

But remembered the old PC was in garage so took out hard drive and found someone who can get the info off !!

Not much of a story but I am so pleased can get basically my running history back, sorry to bore you but I am well chuffed !!

28/04/2013 at 23:00

3.30- sometimes a paper log has its merits! What else are you going to rediscover on that hard drive?

Simon- hell of a good session today - even if it wasn't freezing today 

29/04/2013 at 00:10

I should be in bed, but just tried VLM entry for 2014, but still not open. So will try in the morning

29/04/2013 at 00:21

Simon- it's open now and it looks like they've made it easier for oldies like me to enter with a GFA. 

Minn- go get a sub 1.30 HM and get a championship start for VLM .

AA- youve got one already Haven't you? 

Edited: 29/04/2013 at 00:22
29/04/2013 at 00:51

Simon great bike miles - We were in Lakes today, cold, wet and not fun. Will definitely be sponsoring you. 

Kfc great 10k 7 days after vlm. hope the legs are okay, rest now or more races planned?

Speedsheep, will dig some bits out for you. Download app called AppStart. Good guide on everything, and recommended apps. Lots of good tips.

Spoons, nothing wrong with 9:30mm pace on trail. Most of my long runs last year for sub 3:30 were at that pace and bliss, keeps your ankles and legs in way better shape than road.

Cooks, stonking time at Manchester.

Re marathon training, mileage, program and times achieved.

My club pal mentioned before who I helped train for first marathon last year (3:37) ran today too. He did all the short club races and XC that I ducked out off and massively improved Feb. Ran a 1:24 half in March and 4-6 milers races at sub 37-38 min 10k range. Scary speeds. Some good long runs in, I honestly expected sub 3:15, 3:10 or below.

Blew out with a 3:24, legs cramping at 20 miles. I'm predicting the future, Minni will say not enough miles and endurance

29/04/2013 at 06:15

Definitely FRC!

New GFA up and I think we're all ok, although cooks might not get in with his 3:08 if he's under 30. 

Just as well we're  all of the more mature type on here.

29/04/2013 at 06:31

Simon, the ballot opened at about 00:14, just as your head hit the pillow I suspect. Hope it's still open for you this morning.

29/04/2013 at 06:34

Simon - That is a long way in crap weather, good effort.

Ballot entered, they've changed the GFA a little, good to see they've made it easier for the over 50 men but won't help me for another 3 years.

Edited: 29/04/2013 at 06:35
29/04/2013 at 06:51

3:30 - I suggest you get all your data put into dropbox or evernote so it's all stored safely in the cloud 

29/04/2013 at 07:14

Spoons

Remember your talking to a bloke who once had this backed up on the old high tech floppy disc !!

"Dropbox" or "Evernote"and "Clouds" - totally lost me there !! Once I get this back will just back up to an external harddrive or go all trendy and get a memory stick !!

Thanks for the advice though I pressume this is just stored somewhere in the floating world of data wirelesly

29/04/2013 at 07:18

My history is up there on a cloud too. 

29/04/2013 at 08:16

Got a nice chap from local PC place coming round to transfer mine from old harddrive onto new laptop cant wait to get this back

Sure I have over 50 halfs over the years, to be honest I cant even remeber my exact London Times although I know they were all between 3.42 and 4. Wife thinks I am a sad old git !!

29/04/2013 at 08:30

Cooks - fantastic performance

kfc - great 10k from you there

Hope everyone manages to enter the ballot OK today - looks like the places are filling up quickly.

Lovely run yesterday - 10 miles in the sunshine, nice and slow. Legs in good working order.  Quite a few other runners out - I think I must have met more runners yesterday than the sum total of all my LSRs in the build up to VLM - must be the spring weather

29/04/2013 at 08:33

3.30/Minni- my OH often says she thinks I'm up in the clouds! Once a back up was the way to be safe. By the way who has the final say about what's kept in the cloud? Who owns it .?

Barry- still another 3 years to go? A youngster then!

FRC- will the change mean you will be GFA now?

By the way,where does VLM say when the GFA has to be achieved?

29/04/2013 at 08:41

Cooks - wow, what a time! Even better considering you have a new born in tow!

KFC - very good 10K time that close to the marathon, well done

FRC - thanks for sharing that article, was an interesting read. Think I'm going to cut my mileage a bit over the summer and see what happens

Simon - your actual ride will be a doddle after that!

Barry - I'm like you, have three years before I have any chance of making GFA. 

So, I went out and tried the achilles on Saturday. Managed 2M on grass, and didn't really hurt but could definitely feel it. Was going to follow up with 3M yesterday but just didn't feel right. It had been tentatively creaking and cracking all day and then I stood up about 8ish and heard an almight crack. Feared the worst, but think it has bizarely done it some good as has seemed ok since. So think I'll try my 3M tonight instead.

One thing is for sure, MK on Monday is definitely out of the equation 

29/04/2013 at 08:44

2old - that's odd - the page doesn't say when the time has to have been achieved...just says "if you have run a marathon in the same time or faster..." Normally it's the two calendar years prior to the race, but maybe that's something else they will change without notice! Boston is 18 months I think.  Guess we'll find out at the end of May. 

29/04/2013 at 08:48

wow, a lot of geek talk about clouds and floppy disks going on 

Looked at the VLM overseas ballot - 80 quid   not going to bother. In any case, I believe in positive thinking re. Boston

Simon: you spent all Sunday on your bike . Good grief! Sounds like a very tough day in the office. Special kudos for going out again. If I had come home that would have been it

Redders: hope the achilles cracked back into place!

29/04/2013 at 09:00

Alright all - back from the maldives to a sunny UK! I followed your London exploits from the dive boat. It was dead exciting. And all the reports were totally brilliant. 

Anyway I have done t*t all running (about 20 miles) since Paris and obviously none last week, so the road back to fitness starts now. 

Also entered the ballot this morning. GFA looks like it is much more egalitarian - so well done VLM. 

29/04/2013 at 09:05

I totally forgot to say too - Becs, really glad you're on the mend! Fingers crossed the Olympic run gives you something to aim for and it is a smooth path, as you deserve some luck.

I thought I'd whack my training up here as I got injured and am a DNS. Any views on it anyone?

Week / Mileage / Longest Run / Comments

Week 1 33 11  
Week 2 37 13  
Week 3 24 9 Stag do
Week 4 22 12 Man-flu
Week 5 39 16  
Week 6 41 14  
Week 7 43 18  
Week 8 53 20  
Week 9 46 20  
Week 10 45 14  
Week 11 47 20  
Week 12 0 0 Sickness bug
Week 13 33 11 Achilles gone
Week 14 0 0  
Week 15 2 2  
Week 16.....

I've obviously pored over it at length, but think I built up quite sensibly. Didn't do any speedwork until week 9 as I was coming back from injury, and even then I didn't go crazy.  Interested to hear any thoughts...    

Edited: 29/04/2013 at 09:07
29/04/2013 at 09:13

BA is not impressed - all the older male categories have been made a bit easier except 65+ so he is in the ballot with his fingers crossed. Just an extra 10 minutes and he would have been Ok. They put an extra 15 minutes on 60-64 so there is only a 15 minute difference - the difference in the ladies between the two groups is an hour.  I suspect I will be hearing a lot about the inequity!

Sorry about all the bold, don't know how to get rid of it once its there on iPad.

KFC: great race, your legs recovered fast

Kiwi: brilliant news on your comeback, you will be joining us all next year at green

Cooks: WOW, just WOW!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.