RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

29,901 to 29,920 of 36,956 messages
02/05/2013 at 12:42

Erm - just looking at my forthcoming racing schedule and it appears to be busier than I thought! 

I have 4x 10K races and 3x track races all before the 15 July. I am obviously in the racing demon camp as well

Right now however I feel waaaaaaaaay off being race fit.

02/05/2013 at 12:45

Minni, sounds like a great schedule for building up some speed for Aug/Sept/Oct half marathons. 14miler on that list? The 6 I did in Sept/ Oct really gave me a fitness boost.

You will love 10ks by the end of those. Or Die trying. Ant too...

Ant - sorry I was talking about 2013.

Edited: 02/05/2013 at 12:45
02/05/2013 at 12:53

I'll probably choose one or two to target but run the rest progressively.  The 6m and 14m will be targets, which I know is odd since they are not standard distances but hey, when did I ever do anything by the book.

02/05/2013 at 13:19

Ant/ 2Old/ FRC- I did Amsterdam 2 years ago and absolutely loved it. I ran 3.40 then so not sure about the 3:00- 3:30 pen but to be honest I've never heard anyone complain about it being too crowded. It's flat, fast and the weather tends to be perfect as well. I would definitely do it again.

02/05/2013 at 14:15

Minni - If I were you I would add a few more 10km races to your schedule.....

02/05/2013 at 14:18

Wow - lots of races Minni & Ant!  I'm thinking about one more 10k at the end of June for my schedule but there aren't any others within about 90 minutes drive and I'm not prepared to do that for a 10k.  So I have 2 x 10k, 1 x 10mile and then 3 x HM between now and October. Plus parkruns when I can fit them in.

Trendy 5 miles at lunchtime - did them on the TM as I didn't have a lot of time so wanted to be in and out. And although I said everything would be easy pace I ended up doing the middle 3 miles at between 7.00 and 7.20 pace - quite nice to get a little speed going!

Also caught up with a work colleague today who did VLM. Good runner with a 1.28 HM PB.  He had a complete nightmare - bit of an injury and blew up big time with his first half being 1.41 and second half being 2.50...a very painful day for him by all accounts. 

02/05/2013 at 14:21

Ant / 2old - I did Amsterdam last year. As Brolish says it is flat and fast. I was in the 3:00 - 3:30 pen and had positioned myself towards the back of it. We came to a complete standstill twice in the first few miles. Once on exiting the stadium and again on entering Vondel Park for the first time. I would say about 40 seconds were lost with these stops. I am sure if you start further up the pen there would be no problem. It was fairly windy last year especially along the Amstel river which is fairly exposed.

Minni - that is an impressive race list. I think my first race will be a 10k on the 19th May.

3:30 - good luck with the training. My garmin is a 305 too. Does everything I need.

02/05/2013 at 15:55
Minni wrote (see)

...they are not standard distances but hey, when did I ever do anything by the book.

Ahem. Pot kettle. Bit like doing an ultra during marathon training perhaps.

Brol and col (good rhyming names) like the sound of Amsterdam.

Everyones races May- July all sound good - we've all trained hard so time to relax a bit, have some fun and reap the rewards of all the training? Only 2 races booked so far, a 10k and maybe another secret one TBA, then Thunder Run with Brol, Gazelle, Scuba Trooper, Mr Brol at end of July.

02/05/2013 at 17:19

Wow the races planned by TM are piling up. Not do sure about me. Physio says Achilles is on the mend but nor to run for a week and in the meantime carry on spinning ideally every day but not to extend the time and fast cadence. Swim if I want to. So that's it for another week though I can't see anyt of that happen until Tuesday due to other plans

funny thing was I know the physio but hadn't seen him for fifteen years and didn't recognise him because of his biker- Honda goldwing look!

Minni- no wonder you were told not to book any more races  

Ant - impressive list too. I'll report back if I do Amsterdam... You're not race fit????

FRC- intrigued about the secret one- another ultra or marathon?

Col/Bro- you have nearly persuaded me. Only problem is if its on a half term as I might be in Spain

free- that was some blow out. It looks like it went pear shaped in the first half too. What happened ?

02/05/2013 at 18:30

O4S - I can't believe you are running 100 mile race. That's amazing. I've always fancied doing the Round Rotherham but only done the relay. I did 2 legs of the relay once and that washard enough.

Minni - impressive race diary and you will be running 10ks in your sleep.

Not a lot of racing here and haven't a clue how fast I am as all my miles have been slow and off road. I'm quite looking forward to a bit of speed training. 6 miles for me today.

02/05/2013 at 19:49

O4S - Have you and BA had a tiff? Why is he going off at 9.30 and you at 11.00?? He hasn't been ironing names/fingers (delete as applicable) on vests again has he???

Chick - What crazy speedwork? The only speedy thing I've been doing lately is drinking!

02/05/2013 at 20:03

Oompa:starting at different times is to avoid the tiff!  With something like 100 miles you really need to do your own thing and trying to stay together just means we both spend the whole event compromising and getting cross.  I normally finish a few hours before him - I think the last one we did together was last century......... However we are still (happily?) married 

02/05/2013 at 20:46

ChickChick/2old - 

Fred Rompelberg,
Maastricht, the Netherlands,
eldest professional cyclist in the world,
current holder of the Absolute Speed World Record Cycling
with 268,831 km/h.

http://www.fredrompelberg.com/upload/Fred%20Rompelberg/Fred_zoutvlakte_tijdens_record_achter_auto_klein.jpg

The photo shows Fred during his successful world record attempt on 1995-10-03 on his special bicycle behind a dragster of the Strasburg Drag Racing Teamon a dried up salt lake, the so called Salt Flats at Bonneville near Salt Lake City in the federal state of Utah in the USA.   The exactly measured speed was 268,831 km/h.  
02/05/2013 at 20:54

Chick/2old - In English that's about 166mph, not bad on a push bike.

Yes I try and do a bit of drafting wherever I can, tractors, buses, white vans or lorries. You need something not too fast, otherwise there's no chance of getting on its tail.

Barry - Yes at the moment I haven't been running, whiich has sorted out my Heel problem. But I've been thinking these long bike rides would be great base training for a marathon, so I might start running again.

02/05/2013 at 21:29

Evening - 9.5 miles for me tonight. Did a sort of progressive run. Started at 9:00 and took 15 seconds per mile off. Trouble was, once I got to 8:00 pave they seemed to stay there! GF got a PB in the 10km race though

02/05/2013 at 21:33

Well done GF .  You said she was running really well just now.

You got the right balance O4S.

6 miles tonight off road.  Calf is a bit sore.    Not the one I usually have trouble with, the other one.  Done the icing and I've got a rest day tomorrow, so hopefully it'll be ok.

02/05/2013 at 21:34

great line up of raced coming up!

lol, O4S, enjoy your 100 miles, look forward to your cake eating tales

Great stuff for your GF Spoons.

Spin and for the first time ever did the 30 minute 'pure abs' class afterwards, was great but think my tummy is going to hurt tmrw!!!!

02/05/2013 at 21:39

Urghh - its gonna take me a few days to catch up!

Simon - some great biking days there - I'm pretty sure I wouldnt have made it back out again on the one you had last week in the rain. 

I'm super tired, and no bloody wonder.  After the 10k race on Sunday, on Monday/Tuesday I biked 204 miles from my mum's house to Newcastle along the forth, and lothian and northumberland coasts (stunning - fully recommend you all to get on your bikes up there asap), then did a 20M run yesterday.  I need a few rest days!

A belated thanks to those who have recently posted your training over the campaign, I'm looking forward to geeking out on it when I get a bit of time, and posting mine up too.  I find it very useful for ideas - so thanks!

02/05/2013 at 22:28

Thought I better get stuck into this training lark so upped to 4 tonight

Problem is quite hilly where I live, to get 4 in would mean 4 times round a block to keep it flat (same route as my 3.3 but drove me mad !). So took hill on - down hill out for 2 miles in 20:02 back uphill in 21:32

Took it steady and am pleased to increase miles - that's me gone from 2.6, to 6 runs at 3.3 now 4 today but will stay here for next 2/3 weeks I think

Got a chap coming round tomorrow to get  my running files off the hard disc I rescued from my old PC - got all my old records of race times since I started. Cant wait to get them back. This time I WILL make a back up !!

Sad I know but I really am a bit of a "stats" man

Edited: 02/05/2013 at 22:29
02/05/2013 at 22:39

KFC - Sounds like a nice couple of days biking. Have you got a mara/ultra coming up, if you're doing a 20m run?

o4S - What's the forecast for your 100mile ultra? Enjoy your cake fueling along the way.

Spoons - Well done for your GF. 

3:30 - Sounds like some late nights pouring over your old stats.

Edited: 02/05/2013 at 22:42
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.