RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

30,121 to 30,140 of 37,206 messages
12/05/2013 at 16:57

FRC - great report

2old, Kiwi & Barry - total bummer about the injuries.

Barry - I think it is hard to detect stress fractures from an X-Ray. Apparently holding a tuning fork on the pain can be effective. IE the vibration will be agony if it is a stress fracture. 

Minni - hope the calf recovery isn't phantom.

Thanks for the race best wishes - it is on Tuesday evening not the weekend. I was mountain biking today in preparation! 26 miles this week, Slowly getting back in the running groove.

cheers

12/05/2013 at 17:05

Decided it was time to get going again after last weekend, but a 5 mile walk with friends started my infected blister oozing blood again so Saturday I offered to help make sandwiches for an off road marathon in the South Wales valleys. Ended up standing all day, but had a great time with friends old and new. Today was bike day, but weather was pretty rubbish and choosing a hilly route was a tad optimistic 

We managed 60 miles (rather than the 80 planned) but did 4 major climbs and endless undulations, so good training for the Pyrennees. Went out into the wind so the return leg was a bit easier, despite the drizzly rain - however I think my legs need a bit longer to recover so I might have to review my running plans for next week.

What is going on with all theses injuries? Take it easy guys and gals.

simon: I need a full report on the new bike ASAP!

Barry: sounds rubbish at work 

12/05/2013 at 19:44

Happy Birthday for yesterday Chick!  Hopefully no hangover?

Hope you get an MRI sorted soon Oompa, there's nothing worse than being messed around with appointment dates.

When is the half iron man AA? Sounds like you really enjoyed the lake swim

Simon both the 247 miles and that 10193ft elevation gain sound ouch!!

Great report FRC

Sorry to hear your news from work Barry, sounds like a typical management response too  

You must be fed up now Kiwi

Blister sounds grim O4S

Legs have only just today stopped aching from Thursday's 12 x 200m session, those really must have been a shock to the system! 

An afternoon of utter dross at the football, we're still not safe and the future does not look bright 

13/05/2013 at 06:00

Great report FRC. I'm pleased you're not disappointed with those few seconds. Annoying but if you know you've given it everything then you can't ask for much more.

(((Kiwi))) lets hope it's a minor set back. If its not too sore theN hopefully nothing too much to worry about and your physio is being ultra cautious. 

How's things 2old?

AA - glad you enjoyed the lake. 

Spoons - hope the flitting went ok.

O4S - you're making feel lazy!

Good to get back to speed Carrot?

glad no one here did the marathon of the North. What a cock up. All results on Power of Ten have now been marked as short course and so won't count for good for age. I have a friend who did it and ran 3:44 and is livid, rightly so.  Can't see them having many takers next year. 

Edited: 13/05/2013 at 06:04
13/05/2013 at 08:58

FRC - great report. I love that feeling you get at the start when you realise the pace feels fine and you're going to have a good run

kiwi - grrrr....so frustrating for you....just fingers crossed and all good vibes that the enforced rest does the trick.

That is so bad about the Marathon of the North - just unforgivable really when people are going for GFA times. 

I had a shocker yesterday - 1.12.15 for the Dereham 10.  Set off at 6.45 pace, felt pretty good for 3-4 miles but the wheels came off big time at the half way point - just had nothing in my legs for the last few miles and slowed to what felt like a crawl. My legs felt like they do in the final miles of a marathon and my quads were just burning....so clearly I still have some VLM in my legs, plus I have done a couple of hard weights sessions now so need to get used to that I guess.  On the positive side those first few miles felt fine...just need to string another 10 or so together! 2nd F40 as well - and the first F40 was 10 minutes quicker than me so I had no chance of the bling anyway.

13/05/2013 at 09:06

I saw that about the Marathon of the North too Minni - you'd be mightily pissed off if you'd slogged your guts out for that. Really bizarre that the leader did the right course though, he must have been some way in front?

FRC - great report and a model of consistency!

Barry - really sorry to hear about work and about your ongoing injury. You're really due some luck

Kiwi - sorry to hear about your injury too, just as you were on the road back as well. Fingers crossed the week off gets you back on track.

I have good news to report - not only did I manage my stupid impromptu speed session without injury, I also did another 4M slow on Saturday. Then spent yesterday carrying a 2 year old around the zoo for five hours, again with no repercussions. I was actually more happy with that, as I'm supposed to be doing heel drops with a back pack on, and that was way, way more strenous than that!   

13/05/2013 at 09:12

Chick- Happy belated birthday, hope you celebrated in style.

FRC- Great race report.

Free- ouch. Still 2nd F40 is great. It's still quite soon after the VLM, I'm sure you'll be back to your best in no time.

Barry- not good news on the job front, but more time for training is definitely a positive.

Minni- glad to hear the calf is on the mend.

I ended up doing an hour long steady run on Saturday (ended up being more of an MP @ 7.44 but that's what happens when I'm not allowed to look at the garmin) and a tempo session with tempo intervals done @ 6.54 and 7.00. It feels like the legs are beginning to turn again. Rest today and track tomorrow.

13/05/2013 at 09:13

Red- xpost. Great news

Marathon of the North sounds like a joke.

13/05/2013 at 10:23

Quick check in from me and I haven't read back properly.

Happy Birthday Chick

I've moved house. The new place is great but doesn't have broadband yet so I won't be around as much.....

Move went OK but it's exhausting. I also managed to squeeze in a cheeky 20 mile run on Sunday morning which was tough but nowhere near as tough as the week before. - 3:09 in the end.

13/05/2013 at 10:41

Thanks for the birthday wishes     I would have reported back at 11 pm as requested only our stupid internet decided to crash   router now dead as a dodo. Replacement will be shipped today. At least I'm at work and have internet here

Hangover was manageable. I drank mainly vino but there is a foggy memory of some hideous pink shots at some stage

Nice long run, Spoons. You are well and truly back

Minni: glad to hear the calf feels better

Kiwi:   sorry to hear about the knee issue

Barry: restructuring ... bah ... the less said about it the better. These days one can be glad to have a job at all I guess

Freemers: 1:12 is still not a bad time! I had a stinker of a 10 miler 2 years ago in 1:22 ...   you left it all out on the road at VLM and it probably takes another few weeks for you to be fully recovered.

Total shambles about marathon of the North

13/05/2013 at 11:36

Morning all

Minni- achilles still not great but did manage a 5k easy jog in 25+ mins on Sunday after a 3k row and followed by a 15k spin. That was the longest run for a month so I may still make the Olympic run. Actually it suggests at least I can have a go at a sprint tri next month all being well. Im just going to take it easy in reintroducing running

Red-your achilles news sounds much more encouraging just dont go and run 20 miles next week

Bro-good to see you're back in action

Free-another solid performance-time is irrelevant when you are on the podium

O4S- look after those blisters..dont get complications. Plenty of fresh air again for you theis weekend ..as ever

Spoons-seems strange reading about 20 mile runs now-nice one

ChICK-Oh yes the marathon of the north-what a cock up.Wouldnt like to be on that organising committee

Back to the pool today

13/05/2013 at 11:38

Hello all! WTF Mara of the North???  Those poor people.  Doesn't even bear thinking about.  How awful.

Chick, glad to see you survived the birthday hangover in one piece!  Also, belated congrats on your MT podium - I'm finally catching up with it on my 'commute' (15 min walk) to work.  I always used to listen to it on a run and it's a bit difficult to do that in the pool

Spoons, that sounds fantastic!  Get in there!  Really pleased for you. 

Kiwi, so sorry to hear your knee is still not quite right  Let's hope the physio and a bit more (yawn....) extended rest helps.

Barry, your work issues sound horrible.  Not nice to be messed around like that.  But as you say, focus on the positives, you now have more training time. 

Free, sounds like a great effort, well done!!  Clearly it didn't feel 100% for you, but it's a good indicator of where your body is right now (sort of still in the hurt locker ) and the only way for you is up.

Bro, sounds like your legs are back with a vengeance!  How's the new training regime going, or is it too early to say yet?  Loving the 'steady' long run too

2Old, my OH would question whether I've EVER had any mental stability.  At least you've only temporarily lost yours 

Ant, happy racing (again!)

O4S, poor you and your infected blister!!  I hope it clears up soon.

Carrot, glad your legs are finally coming back to you, you must have hammered that session!!  Nicely done, lady   Sorry the footie isn't going so well.  It's not going so brilliantly for us, either.  How could we be teetering on the edge of the relegation zone at this late stage???  (probably cos we've been rubbish )  If Wigan beat Arsenal, we may only be saved by mathematics.  Anyway, I don't want to depress myself so let's not dwell on that....!

Physio was good yesterday.  He told me that I've got bursitis in my left hip which will take a bit of time to settle down.  For once I'm not worried as I've got my pool running/spin to tide me over for a while.  I'm still feeling good with my 8 month plan.  We started some gentle PT too, next session things will start up properly. 

13/05/2013 at 11:55

SS-my OH had bursitis in her hip and had a steroid type injection which did the trick-no problems for 3 years since .she doesnt run but doesplay tennis golf and does pilates and zumba. Might be worth thinking about as a quick fix which works. A wigan fan? They arent far from us..fingers crossed they stay up

13/05/2013 at 12:41

FRC - Nice VLM report sir. Glad your not pis**d off about the 4 seconds... Because i know i would be!

kfc - Dunno what was in FRC's Shot Bloks at VLM because i didn't see you during the race as i would have said hello... In fact, it's getting me to shut up that's the tricky bit!!!  

Free - Hardly a bad time? Especially so soon after VLM, and still second F40! 

Chick - Are you sure that your internet crashed? In your drunken stupor, you weren't actually trying to post from your microwave were you???

2old & Redders - Great to see that the "Achilles twins" seem to finally be on the mend. Don't overdo it now though.

Kiwi - Sorry to hear that you're still crocked. Keep positive and you'll be back before long.

SS - Sorry to hear about the bursitis. How long did the physio think it would take to clear up?

12 miles from me yesterday, in the sunshine, along my favourite trail @ 7.50 min/ml and all was well with the world... Until this morning as my knee now hurts like a b'stard!

13/05/2013 at 12:42

Morning all. 

Freemers - well done for even braving a 10 mile race. I'm still taking it easy 

carrot - stonking reps. My half ironman is September 8th. God knows how I will get up to distancthorny then. I'm considering entering the Reading Olympic tri again. But that's the week before 

spoons - that's a great time for 20 on your comeback trail. 

Chick -  belated happy birthday. 

SS - the lake is only about 3 miles down the road from me. Perfect really. People travel from  miles around to swim in it 

Arms ached after the swim on Saturday so hit the bike yesterday and did 15.5 miles with 14 @50 mins. Just not quick on the bike... Much more required  . Trendy 5 @6:30am. 

13/05/2013 at 12:52

Spoons - Somehow missed your post... Cracking 20. Is that your third 20+ now?

13/05/2013 at 13:10

SS- no idea what bursitis is but really hope it settles soon. I'm quite enjoying my new regime and I don't think there's a chance in hell of not speeding up with all this fast stuff as long as I manage to stay in one piece... Time will tell.

Oompa- damn b'stard knee.

Spoons- nice LSR.

13/05/2013 at 14:16

Chick - Happy birthday!

FRC - i enjoyed reading your VLM report. Very well raced indeed.

Freemers - that's still a decent time for a 10 mile race. Well done on 2nd F40

Barry - sorry to hear that your calf is still giving problems. I hope the doctor is able to get to the bottom of it.

Minni - good news on the improvement in your calf

2old - hopefully your achilles is showing signs of getting better

13/05/2013 at 14:25
Oompa wrote (see)

Chick - Are you sure that your internet crashed? In your drunken stupor, you weren't actually trying to post from your microwave were you???

PML, Oomps    still chuckling away ...  getting weird glances from colleagues. That just made my day ... soooo hilarious BUT     I have no microwave

13/05/2013 at 14:34

Col/Oomp-getting better but a long way to go...Im trying to be patient

Oomp-maybe avoiding hills for a while might be a good idea. My patella tendonitis was aggravated by holiday runs over a 5 mile very hilly route

Bro-make sure you do stay in one piece-if you think you feel a niggle back off a bit

AA-I know what you mean about the arms-dont think the wet suit helped me as I think I swam in the pond with a different action to the pool. Like everything I suppose improving on the bike is a gradual process and youve got til September to peak.

Thought I might do the local Aquathlon on Sunday but its full-probably for the best as I would have struggled to jog the 5k.

2.2k pool session

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.