RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

30,181 to 30,200 of 36,147 messages
14/05/2013 at 11:17

SS - X-post. From the little i know of Bursitis, i don't think there's an awful lot you can do but R.I.C.E.

I think my knee is slowly getting better, as the length of time it hurts after running is gradually reducing. Today it feels fine, so i'll probably do an easy 5 or so tonight, to try to be ready for Thursday's club race.

Well done for the quiz bling... Also, i'm glad to see that i'm not the only one who can't post photos!

14/05/2013 at 11:48

That sounds like good progress, Oompa.  Sorry to have to tell you, though, you ARE the only one who can't post photos - that wasn't me trying to post a pic but to do a  at the end of my string of emoticons!  For some reason, it cut that one off and the rest of my text, which was a confession as to how hungover I was feeling today after the quiz and how I am so not looking forward to my spin session and pool run later on tonight   In fact, I managed to post a pic a few months ago of my cat who had fallen asleep on my copy of P&D, bless her!  Don't ask me how I did it, though, I'm a kind of trial and error techie, usually the error type   Good luck with future pic postings!!!

14/05/2013 at 12:16

Oompa: you are definitely not alone on the pics front.

only 15 minutes left 

14/05/2013 at 12:26

SS - 

O4S - ... Until what???????????????

14/05/2013 at 12:42

Oompa

14/05/2013 at 13:32

on all the continuing blister tales. I agree with 2old - how come you are all getting blisters in the first place? Do your shoes not fit, feet get wet, problems with socks? I'd seriously look into it - I have had exactly zero blisters in four marathons - so you don't need to suffer. What about using bodyglide around your feet? That stuff really is fantastic. 

The above doesn't apply to O4S  no idea what would happen to my feet after 100 miles!

Good to hear that some of the injuries are easing. 

Oh yes and I'm a Gooner. So I'm hoping we tonk Wigan tonight - they are probably still hungover at any rate!

14/05/2013 at 13:41

Ant - I had no idea what i was letting myself in for in my first mara (VLM 2010), and did not put anything on my feet, hence the massive blood blister. Also i have circus freak toes, as the 2nd and 3rd are both longer than my big toe!

Now i smear (almost) everything in BodyGlide, wear shoes that are 1.5 sizes too big and also use ToeToe socks after being recommended them by a MdS veteran, and now i very rarely get blisters.

14/05/2013 at 13:52

Weeble - Happy birthday for yesterday.

Minni/Oompa/Red - Good news on the injuries, I also have  freak toes, any toenails that come off are from the 2nd/3rd.

14/05/2013 at 14:03

Sorry for the belated b'days to Chick and Weeble.

Just a quick stats update from yesterdays bike ride. 133m in 9:46hrs and about 11hrs in total, got home at 10pm. Very, very windy day, with some rain and hailstones. Indepth report later, new bike 'the dogs'

14/05/2013 at 14:28

Shit Simon, how do you sit on a saddle for nearly 10 hours!!! Brilliant, well done. Is this the Carlos Fandango, dripping with carbon num num ness, and weighs less than a Budgie's pecker bike from your bike shop?

14/05/2013 at 14:31

SS-Liverpool is my team and their visit to your team on Sunday went very wellThink I will go back on the anti inflams.

Oomp-thanks for the positive vibe on bursitis. Glad the knee is mending

Simon-awesome as ever ,especially as it was bldy windy yesterday hence me spinning instead. New wheels sound good

Ant-Im with you about blisters-the only time Ive ever had them is when I wet my feet pouring water over my head during a very hot race. O4S and blisters are another matter...

Another swim done.Glad Im not in the pool again for a couple of days

14/05/2013 at 15:02

2old - do you ever do any work??!!!

14/05/2013 at 15:38

simon:   amazing! How saddle sore are you now??

14/05/2013 at 16:55

That's a long time on the bike Simon....

14/05/2013 at 17:07

So took the new carbonfibre lean/mean/fighting machine down to the bike shop that had lent it to me yesterday morning for a free bike fitting session (another blag). My bum is always sore on these long rides, so I've been lifting the nose of my saddle up, thinking I'd be using more of the wide part of the saddle at the back were the padding is. Mistake nbr 1.  Apparently you need it dead level, or slightly nose down. Next was saddle height, which should give you a bend of your knee of 30% + or - 5%, slightly higer for endurance, lower for sprinting, he set mine at 32%. Mistake nbr 2, I had mine too low.

The lightness of the bike became clear when excelerating, but was most notceable on the climbs, when it allowed you to ride in a higher gear than normal, so you always seemed to have an extra gear to drop into. Carbonfibre is well known for it's vibration dampening properties, and this Specialized bike has these extra polymer inserts in the forks and seat stays, which made the ride a lot smoother. You could ride over road imperfections without having to lift your bum off the saddle, and without it jarring your spine. Normally after a long ride, my bum, lower back, neck/shoulders feel like they've taken a beating, but yesterday everything felt ok. Yes my bum was still a bit sore, but nothing like normal.

The problem is now how to keep hold of it after the event. Or how to justify buying another new bike.

The ride was basically 3 loops. 1 north thru Trough of Bowland about 80m. 2nd east to Rivington Pike about 35m. 3rd  south to Formby about 20m. This way if I get soaked, like the other week, I can head home and change, then go back out again.

Chick - Good padded shorts, and liberal amounts of chamois cream ( a bit like E45 cream)

Edited: 14/05/2013 at 17:12
14/05/2013 at 18:13

Nice work simon - I'm going to predict that you buy that bike... 

Brisk 6 for me today, was going to be 12, but CBA fairy intervened.  Core time while illegally streaming giro d'italia this afternoon, and eurovision tonight! 

14/05/2013 at 19:39

Wow Simon that is mega.  The bike sounds top notch.

Only two days till I run again.  I'm pretty sure the calf if 100% now but I've started with a cold and  I could do with an early night be I have a party to go to.   Ate a whole packet of pink panther wafer biscuits today.

The sooner I'm back to running the better.

14/05/2013 at 21:32

Simon that is so impressive, sounds like the lighter bike really helped you stay comfortable. But you still must have quads of steel. 

Good luck trying to fit all that in Spoons, how far have you planned for the MLR?  If you're doing less than 13 that should be OK to include some tempo miles, a bit like those horrible P&D runs where you do 12 with 7 @ HMP. 

Sounds like a good rest day SS!

Oompa I think a grape sized blood blister wins before the contest has even started!  I'm actually a bit proud to say I currently have TEN toenails intact.  One is multi-coloured, but it's still hanging on   It's never been the same since it fell off once, I think once they start going black they're just always going to be weak.

Minni it's like counting down to Christmas, two more sleeps!  Hope your patience pays off.

I've not had a blood blister for ages, I feel a bit left out

3 x 2000m done tonight at the track, lungs are still burning a bit!

14/05/2013 at 21:57

Carrot: big rejoicing in the Northern Veggie house I trust now the Black Cats have been saved in the nick of time!

14/05/2013 at 22:46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7jNLVszR2A

Hi all just popped in to share this link you may find it interesting you may not

I love watching all things like this and I found it quite good. .... Hmmmm 10.45 - to late to go for a run .... I guess so ah well always tomorrow !!

Keep on Keeping on

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.