RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

30,181 to 30,200 of 37,115 messages
14/05/2013 at 15:38

simon:   amazing! How saddle sore are you now??

14/05/2013 at 16:55

That's a long time on the bike Simon....

14/05/2013 at 17:07

So took the new carbonfibre lean/mean/fighting machine down to the bike shop that had lent it to me yesterday morning for a free bike fitting session (another blag). My bum is always sore on these long rides, so I've been lifting the nose of my saddle up, thinking I'd be using more of the wide part of the saddle at the back were the padding is. Mistake nbr 1.  Apparently you need it dead level, or slightly nose down. Next was saddle height, which should give you a bend of your knee of 30% + or - 5%, slightly higer for endurance, lower for sprinting, he set mine at 32%. Mistake nbr 2, I had mine too low.

The lightness of the bike became clear when excelerating, but was most notceable on the climbs, when it allowed you to ride in a higher gear than normal, so you always seemed to have an extra gear to drop into. Carbonfibre is well known for it's vibration dampening properties, and this Specialized bike has these extra polymer inserts in the forks and seat stays, which made the ride a lot smoother. You could ride over road imperfections without having to lift your bum off the saddle, and without it jarring your spine. Normally after a long ride, my bum, lower back, neck/shoulders feel like they've taken a beating, but yesterday everything felt ok. Yes my bum was still a bit sore, but nothing like normal.

The problem is now how to keep hold of it after the event. Or how to justify buying another new bike.

The ride was basically 3 loops. 1 north thru Trough of Bowland about 80m. 2nd east to Rivington Pike about 35m. 3rd  south to Formby about 20m. This way if I get soaked, like the other week, I can head home and change, then go back out again.

Chick - Good padded shorts, and liberal amounts of chamois cream ( a bit like E45 cream)

Edited: 14/05/2013 at 17:12
14/05/2013 at 18:13

Nice work simon - I'm going to predict that you buy that bike... 

Brisk 6 for me today, was going to be 12, but CBA fairy intervened.  Core time while illegally streaming giro d'italia this afternoon, and eurovision tonight! 

14/05/2013 at 19:39

Wow Simon that is mega.  The bike sounds top notch.

Only two days till I run again.  I'm pretty sure the calf if 100% now but I've started with a cold and  I could do with an early night be I have a party to go to.   Ate a whole packet of pink panther wafer biscuits today.

The sooner I'm back to running the better.

14/05/2013 at 21:32

Simon that is so impressive, sounds like the lighter bike really helped you stay comfortable. But you still must have quads of steel. 

Good luck trying to fit all that in Spoons, how far have you planned for the MLR?  If you're doing less than 13 that should be OK to include some tempo miles, a bit like those horrible P&D runs where you do 12 with 7 @ HMP. 

Sounds like a good rest day SS!

Oompa I think a grape sized blood blister wins before the contest has even started!  I'm actually a bit proud to say I currently have TEN toenails intact.  One is multi-coloured, but it's still hanging on   It's never been the same since it fell off once, I think once they start going black they're just always going to be weak.

Minni it's like counting down to Christmas, two more sleeps!  Hope your patience pays off.

I've not had a blood blister for ages, I feel a bit left out

3 x 2000m done tonight at the track, lungs are still burning a bit!

14/05/2013 at 21:57

Carrot: big rejoicing in the Northern Veggie house I trust now the Black Cats have been saved in the nick of time!

14/05/2013 at 22:46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7jNLVszR2A

Hi all just popped in to share this link you may find it interesting you may not

I love watching all things like this and I found it quite good. .... Hmmmm 10.45 - to late to go for a run .... I guess so ah well always tomorrow !!

Keep on Keeping on

14/05/2013 at 22:58

Atrocious conditions at tonight's track mile. But pretty pleased with 5:43 (by my watch). Not a PB but only 6 seconds off it so I'll take that. 

And even better the gunners tonked Wigan

15/05/2013 at 05:45

Ant - congrats on your pb. 

Spoons - hope move us going well. 

Carrot - you're safe!! Thought of you last night. Happy days! Oh yeah and 3x2000 

minni - not long. 

Simon - chamois cream. Heard Of it. I need it! So impressed with your cycling. 

2old - the 56 miles is part if the half ironman. 

24 miles on the bike yesterday and those cleats got the better of me. I fell off! Body got more stiff as day went on 

15/05/2013 at 06:12

3:30 - thanks for that link. definitely makes you want to go out and do it.  

Ant - I can't imagine how it must feel running a mike so quick.  Have you got more planned? 

O4S - when you see Pam next week ask her about her 10k pb that followed a skinful of vodka from the free bar on the hotel! It's the way we do it in the North! 

Final day of rest! 

15/05/2013 at 08:28

AA:  according to the ladies in the USA men need 'butt cream' [alias chamois cream] while ladies need 'bag balm' [alias I have no idea].  Apparently different areas are affected .  Am fortunate enough not to to suffer from saddle soreness thanks to a miraculous saddle and a lot of natural padding    Don't despair - you are not a real cyclist until you have fallen off with cleats, preferably in a very public and embarrassing spot [e.g. traffic lights in the middle of the rush hour!]

Ant:

15/05/2013 at 09:46

AA - not a PB unfortunately 

Minni - I have some more track stuff planned, and would like to do another mile later in the summer - so I'm hoping I can track one down. Next track test is on Monday and it is the 3000m. I'll be aiming for around 11 mins or so. Never done a 3000 before and they just sound brutal!

Simon - I was going to ask - this 30 degree angle you were going on about - where exactly - knee? hip? at the top of the stroke or the bottom?

15/05/2013 at 10:05

Nice speedy mile, Ant! Can't quite contemplate running a mile beginning with a 5 ...

Tried some 10k pace this morning - managed only 3 x 3 mins, then gave up. It felt bloody hard and legs don't seem to have any strength or speed in them. No idea how to hold on to this over 10k

Simon: that bike sounds ace. I reckon it costs probably more than my car

15/05/2013 at 12:34

Ant - nice track racing

Simon - stick it on a credit card and worry it about it later

I didn't manage to run last night due to moving the fish tank which is far bigger job than I hoped. Oh well - I'm definitely running later. These will have to be double drop down weeks....

15/05/2013 at 12:49

Ant- damn fast running! I dont' think I've EVER managed to get my legs to turn faster than 6mm.

Minni- yay she's almost back!

Chick- do not despair, the speed will come back. I'm feeling similar at the moment, the fast stuff is feeling rather tough.

AA- ouch! Hope no damage has been done.

8m steady planned for later today.

15/05/2013 at 13:23

Ant - Very nice mile.

Simon -   Impressive, good news on the new machine.

Managed to get x ray done yesterday, tried to get a quick diagnosis from radiographer but they would n't commit apart from " there's nothing that requires immediate A&E treatment". Results in 7 to 10 days.

This is cheering me up.

15/05/2013 at 13:47

Barry: well that's reassuring then ... hope the results are positive!

Love the vid - just shared it with the office

15/05/2013 at 14:01

Simon - that's great going on the bike.

Ant - that's a very fast mile 

Barry  - hopefully things are looking up

AA - hope there is no damage done. I manged to fall off my bike last weekend right outside my house. I am sure the neighbours had a good laugh.

Track session last night was 5 x 4mins at 5k pace with 3 mins jog recovery. Initially I was quite pleased to hear that we had 3 mins recovery until it was pointed out to me that the extra recovery was to ensure that each rep was kept at 5k pace or slightly faster. Tough tough session. My legs were sore this morning! I have a 10k race on Friday night so hope I recover in time.  

15/05/2013 at 14:45

KFC, re seeing you at VLM - Oompa said he saw you, I didn't. Must've misheard him! I would of course come and said hi (and according to 2old, Simon, Oompa, offered painkillers, cake, morning paper and coffee or tea )    

Freemers, your legs will have been heavy after the weights sessions. They take a few weeks building up to get used to. I don't do my Wed speed /strength session before a weekend race, switch to Monday or skip it.    

Chic blisters and blood, hmmm. Remind me again, are you are in Germany or Transylvania? Thread Vampire!    

Minni please explain puppet legs? And as for Ants excellent mile time, many predictors estimate 5:35-5:45 mile time for a 3:15 runner - which you are, so PMA please    

Spoons, good 20s by you. We all had 1-2 bad runs and doubts, all will be fine on the day.    

Simon, great riding by you. Just buy the bike. Do bikes get like running shoes eventually?     

Barry, good news.  

2old, cough sorry for mentioning THAT race. How is the injury? No autumns plans yet for me, and lots I could change in future.

Just back home, managed to bang my knee on steel ladder rung getting into boat snorkelling. Ran day after and wondered why sore. Doh. Swollen on the kneecap but just bruised. May do 10k on Sunday but will apply the rule of Oompa, and take safe option if any twinges. i.e. the opposite of what Oompa would do  

Edited: 15/05/2013 at 14:46
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.