RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

30,201 to 30,220 of 36,318 messages
14/05/2013 at 22:58

Atrocious conditions at tonight's track mile. But pretty pleased with 5:43 (by my watch). Not a PB but only 6 seconds off it so I'll take that. 

And even better the gunners tonked Wigan

15/05/2013 at 05:45

Ant - congrats on your pb. 

Spoons - hope move us going well. 

Carrot - you're safe!! Thought of you last night. Happy days! Oh yeah and 3x2000 

minni - not long. 

Simon - chamois cream. Heard Of it. I need it! So impressed with your cycling. 

2old - the 56 miles is part if the half ironman. 

24 miles on the bike yesterday and those cleats got the better of me. I fell off! Body got more stiff as day went on 

15/05/2013 at 06:12

3:30 - thanks for that link. definitely makes you want to go out and do it.  

Ant - I can't imagine how it must feel running a mike so quick.  Have you got more planned? 

O4S - when you see Pam next week ask her about her 10k pb that followed a skinful of vodka from the free bar on the hotel! It's the way we do it in the North! 

Final day of rest! 

15/05/2013 at 08:28

AA:  according to the ladies in the USA men need 'butt cream' [alias chamois cream] while ladies need 'bag balm' [alias I have no idea].  Apparently different areas are affected .  Am fortunate enough not to to suffer from saddle soreness thanks to a miraculous saddle and a lot of natural padding    Don't despair - you are not a real cyclist until you have fallen off with cleats, preferably in a very public and embarrassing spot [e.g. traffic lights in the middle of the rush hour!]

Ant:

15/05/2013 at 09:46

AA - not a PB unfortunately 

Minni - I have some more track stuff planned, and would like to do another mile later in the summer - so I'm hoping I can track one down. Next track test is on Monday and it is the 3000m. I'll be aiming for around 11 mins or so. Never done a 3000 before and they just sound brutal!

Simon - I was going to ask - this 30 degree angle you were going on about - where exactly - knee? hip? at the top of the stroke or the bottom?

15/05/2013 at 10:05

Nice speedy mile, Ant! Can't quite contemplate running a mile beginning with a 5 ...

Tried some 10k pace this morning - managed only 3 x 3 mins, then gave up. It felt bloody hard and legs don't seem to have any strength or speed in them. No idea how to hold on to this over 10k

Simon: that bike sounds ace. I reckon it costs probably more than my car

15/05/2013 at 12:34

Ant - nice track racing

Simon - stick it on a credit card and worry it about it later

I didn't manage to run last night due to moving the fish tank which is far bigger job than I hoped. Oh well - I'm definitely running later. These will have to be double drop down weeks....

15/05/2013 at 12:49

Ant- damn fast running! I dont' think I've EVER managed to get my legs to turn faster than 6mm.

Minni- yay she's almost back!

Chick- do not despair, the speed will come back. I'm feeling similar at the moment, the fast stuff is feeling rather tough.

AA- ouch! Hope no damage has been done.

8m steady planned for later today.

15/05/2013 at 13:23

Ant - Very nice mile.

Simon -   Impressive, good news on the new machine.

Managed to get x ray done yesterday, tried to get a quick diagnosis from radiographer but they would n't commit apart from " there's nothing that requires immediate A&E treatment". Results in 7 to 10 days.

This is cheering me up.

15/05/2013 at 13:47

Barry: well that's reassuring then ... hope the results are positive!

Love the vid - just shared it with the office

15/05/2013 at 14:01

Simon - that's great going on the bike.

Ant - that's a very fast mile 

Barry  - hopefully things are looking up

AA - hope there is no damage done. I manged to fall off my bike last weekend right outside my house. I am sure the neighbours had a good laugh.

Track session last night was 5 x 4mins at 5k pace with 3 mins jog recovery. Initially I was quite pleased to hear that we had 3 mins recovery until it was pointed out to me that the extra recovery was to ensure that each rep was kept at 5k pace or slightly faster. Tough tough session. My legs were sore this morning! I have a 10k race on Friday night so hope I recover in time.  

15/05/2013 at 14:45

KFC, re seeing you at VLM - Oompa said he saw you, I didn't. Must've misheard him! I would of course come and said hi (and according to 2old, Simon, Oompa, offered painkillers, cake, morning paper and coffee or tea )    

Freemers, your legs will have been heavy after the weights sessions. They take a few weeks building up to get used to. I don't do my Wed speed /strength session before a weekend race, switch to Monday or skip it.    

Chic blisters and blood, hmmm. Remind me again, are you are in Germany or Transylvania? Thread Vampire!    

Minni please explain puppet legs? And as for Ants excellent mile time, many predictors estimate 5:35-5:45 mile time for a 3:15 runner - which you are, so PMA please    

Spoons, good 20s by you. We all had 1-2 bad runs and doubts, all will be fine on the day.    

Simon, great riding by you. Just buy the bike. Do bikes get like running shoes eventually?     

Barry, good news.  

2old, cough sorry for mentioning THAT race. How is the injury? No autumns plans yet for me, and lots I could change in future.

Just back home, managed to bang my knee on steel ladder rung getting into boat snorkelling. Ran day after and wondered why sore. Doh. Swollen on the kneecap but just bruised. May do 10k on Sunday but will apply the rule of Oompa, and take safe option if any twinges. i.e. the opposite of what Oompa would do  

Edited: 15/05/2013 at 14:46
15/05/2013 at 14:48

Hooray the rain has passed and the sun is shining-pity about the wind

Minni-Im busy fitting work into my life--Im a good delegater. How do you intend to return to running-10k race? Be careful

Simon-nice tips for a novice like me. After making those adjustments will you need to recondtion your muscles?Bet you have already written the cheque--its just a question of the discount

Ant-very fast mile in crap conditions...nice one. I always think short distances and track running a dangerous foreign land never to be explored

AA-only 56 miles I always fall off at T Junctions with cleats .

Col-that was a tough interval session no wonder you had sore legs. Should have time to recover for the 10k

Barry-hope the XRays point the way to getting it fixed. Stupid cat

Bro-you will be running sub 6 by the end of the summer

Chick-still got the marathon in your legs?

25k spinning this lunchtime. Open water swim tonight-11/12c I want to run!!!

15/05/2013 at 16:03
Fit-Running-Cat wrote (see)

Minni please explain puppet legs? And as for Ants excellent mile time, many predictors estimate 5:35-5:45 mile time for a 3:15 runner - which you are, so PMA please     

There's no way I could run a mile in that time no matter how much PMA.  Remember predictors don't relate to real life!  Hope the knee isn't anything too serious.

Great interval sessions going on.  I'm desperate to get back to it.

2old - keep going with the x training.  You're doing great.

Edited: 15/05/2013 at 16:04
15/05/2013 at 16:07

2old - your water is definitely colder than ours  Have fun!

My shoulder and arm has got worse as day has gone on. Had to cancel my clients this afternoon and this evening as it would be causing me more pain than them  and Im not having that!

15/05/2013 at 16:43

Simon, epic riding sir! Bike sounds like a true dream machine. I agree with spoons, it's what credit cards were made for 

Carrot, phew, we both stayed up!!! Some serious work to be done next season......

ant, you speedster, you! Great mile, love it. 

AA, i hope you recover from your tumble. Poor you. 

Bro, enjoy your 8m 

Barry, that Cat thing is hysterical! 

Col, great session, well done. 

Lots of spinning for me, and also OH. I finally managed to drag him to a session on Sat, then last night, and today i get a text from him asking if there's a class tomorrow. Blimey, what have i created. Alas no pool running as quiz night on Mon, too tired after hungover spin yesterday, and i just went down to the pool and apparently it's shut today. Grrrrrrr. I did do a spin class ths am so i dont feel too guilty, but i do need to get back in the pool and work hard tomorrow. 

15/05/2013 at 20:53

O4S / SS there was indeed a sigh of relief in the Northern Veggie household last night!  Should never have got to that stage

SS I've been trying to get Parsnip along to spinning as a bit of cross training as he's always picking up niggly injuries.  Still working on him.  Sounds like your OH has got the bug!

Ant that's an excellent mile time, that must have hurt    Clearly a glutton for punishment with the 3000m next week!

Well done on the 24M on the bike AA, did you hurt your shoulder in the fall? 

Track is never easy Col! What's the target for the 10K?

One more sleep Minni! What have you got planned?

15/05/2013 at 20:59

Gawd - it doesn't stop. Just realised that the first of the summer's 10K races is next Thursday. Bring it on.

Col - best of luck in your 10K race

AA - arrgh, damn cleats, hope the arm is feeling better

15/05/2013 at 22:40

AA - I hope it was a nice slow speed fall, in a nice quiet country lane. Do you have the springs set nice and lose in the spds, so easier to release. Unscrew the spring on both sides as far as poss, then give them about 2 turns to start with. You can always tighten them up from there.

Ant - 30degree angle is at the knee, relation from upper leg from the vertical. I used to always set up with lower pedal in the 6oclock position, ie straight down position. But the mechanic got me to move it slightly forward to the 5oclock position, then with some protractor with 2 aerials sticking out of it, measured the bend at the knee. I hope that makes sense.

Edited: 15/05/2013 at 22:51
15/05/2013 at 22:47

Ouch re the fall AA. Thing is they're never on a quiet country lane, are they.  I'm sure you know how to treat it and hopefully you'll be back in the saddle in no time.

Mega spinning SS. You'll be giving kiwi a spin for her money soon.

norhing too exciting Carrot - a slow 3 miler. I have a sore throat and a cold but that won't stop me tomorrow! 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.