RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

30,321 to 30,340 of 36,101 messages
20/05/2013 at 16:46

Oh dear O4S, absolutely beautiful area, but not on the legs! I spent half of my teenage years drinking in the Slad/Uplands area, so had many an interesting trip back from the pub... Sheepscombe is a lovely place too, one of the most bizarre places I've ever played cricket. Absolutely stunning views, but if you stand on the boundary at one end you can barely see the batsmen it's that steep - everyone has to shout at you to let you know the ball is coming your way so slightly dangerous, made even more so by the obligatory pint in the Butchers Arms before the game! 

Fingers crossed for Friday and that you can finally get the house sorted...

20/05/2013 at 18:32

Good news on the calf Minni

Congrats on the job Bro!!

20/05/2013 at 20:47

Congrats on the new job Bro!  

After lots of injury frustrating earlier in the week it seems like it might be turning a bit of a corner now for at least some of you? I hope so.

I've not got a huge amount to report. Things continue much the same, with a couple of runs a week getting very gradually longer supplemented with some cycling to increase my training volume a bit plus yoga for cross training. Knees still niggle a bit so don't feel like I can increase it much more than that, but I'm happy playing the long game and I'd rather get consistency doing less and then build up from that given that I've been getting fairly regularly injuries the last few years when trying to build up for races. I'm also enjoying doing more of a mix of training.

I was also forced to take my bike into a bike shop on Sat after picking up  massive puncture. Was told that my bike was on the verge of being dangerous  and came out with a new tyre, new chain, new chainset, new brake pads and new brake cables. The bike shop did say that should make me faster though .

20/05/2013 at 21:26

Becs:  I suspect they lied

Good tempo hill run tonight - my quads were screaming for mercy, but the off-road varied terrain was just what I needed. Found myself signed up for another 10k.  (Note to self - must pay more attention when being asked questions )

20/05/2013 at 22:02

Don't want to count my chickens but 2 miles tonight without pain, tightness or niggle. 

20/05/2013 at 23:01

3000m done - was a brutal as expected. Did it in 11:50, which is a little disappointing as I was hoping for more like 11:15-11:20, but I guess it is an accurate reflection of my current fitness - so aiming for mid 43 in the 10K on Thursday.

O4S - races just creep up on us all 

Minni - right so when's the next 10K 

20/05/2013 at 23:35

Col – nice 9.6k – that’s pretty speedy.  I say go for it with the HM.

Weeble – I’d definitely recommend a f*rman novice schedule as a base for a comeback from injury – 3 runs a week and cross training helps lower niggle risk.

Minni - Great news the calf seems to be on the mend.

Nice swim AA, glad the shoulder is feeling better

SS – I like that you are sticking to the plan – I think you’ll be raring to go when you get back to running on the ground again.  Never say never with the PBs – you’ve surprised yourself once this year!

Kiwi – glad the physio was more useful this time

O4S – nice biking

2old – a little cruel watching the marathon no?  Good that things seem happy walking

Great news Brolish!  And great pace for your steady run too

Nice 3000 Ant – never done one of those before, can imagine theres a big temptation to go off too hard and pay for it big time!

Redwood - hope this week is better

20/05/2013 at 23:46

Minni/Ant/Col/Carrot – yes, 8’s for me right now is too fast for easy pace/LSR – it certainly doesn’t feel easy!  I’d like it to though in the future so my plan is lots of 10-12M progressive runs with as much at 7.30-7.45 as possible to build speed endurance and get my legs used to running faster.   

So another progressive 10M for me today with the last 6M at about 7.40 pace.  Still feels tough, but I'm kind of enjoying it...  Next one wednesday!

And a pretty big couple of weeks ahead…  Marathon on Sunday, then straight into a road bike training week, 10k Tuesday evening, and hilly half IM the next Sunday.  I’m carb loading!

20/05/2013 at 23:51

Bro - Congrats on the new job, is it in Travel Insurance by any chance.

Becs - Now you've got no excuse for being slow .

Ant - Well done on the 3k.

Minni - Did KFC just get away with mentioning F**man

21/05/2013 at 05:39

Minni- hope the chickens are still there to be counted. 

Kfc- that's a tough schedule ahead of you. Which marathon is it?

Ant- well done with the 3k. What were your Splits? do think you might have run it different ly ?

simon- your Garmin fix worked thanks. 

managed 7 miles last night av pace8mm. Felt a variety of aches discomfort bit  heel area but nothing constant or unbearable so will put that down to stiffness scar tissue and lack of conditioning. Will have another go on Wednesday all being well. 

21/05/2013 at 08:40

KFC - jeez, that's some racing schedule!

2old - splits were pretty rubbish really. I went out too quick and paid for it. Wanted to go out at 1:30 per lap, but the first three were 1:26, 1:28 and 1:31, and then it went downhill after that  I guess its lack of experience at the distance (as in it was my first time ever at a 3000!) But maybe 3 nights of late night boozing over the weekend didn't help either.

Re your aches and discomfort - I guess you'll feel that anyway having been on the bench for so long.

21/05/2013 at 08:45

Ant - well done for the 3000...and that time would translate into something a bit quicker than 43 for a 10k wouldn't it? Or are you doubting your speed endurance?  I'm betting sub 42

Glad the calf is behaving Minni . And 2old - hopefully it's just residual pain and nothing more. Great to do 7 miles.

kfc - I'd forgotten Edinburgh was this weekend. Tapering again!

Congrats on the new job Bro

I missed my run yesterday, just ran out of time in the day.  I might not get a chance today either, or if I do it'll be a short one. Oh well, at least I'll be fresh for the intervals tomorrow

21/05/2013 at 08:46

Morning

Nice racing Ant

Sounds very promising Minni

21/05/2013 at 09:36

simon - shhhhh!

2old - edinburgh - at 4.30 pace though so its more a LSR.  7M at 8 pace is going some after your layoff - be careful on your build up please!

Ant - I guess that pacing helps explain why you just missed your target - I find it so hard to get right on the shorter distances.  I'm with freemers, I think a swifter 10k is ON!

21/05/2013 at 09:56

Ant-pacing must be a fine art at that distance, a couple of seconds may mean the difference between hell and a pb. That speed can only help your 5k and 10k racing though. Does track running have a high injury risk-I am sure it did for knees.

KFC-I guess it was a bit fast but it felt ok which was probably the result of spinning and swimming over the last few weeks. Left foot/heel/ankle stiff this am but so is the right side which suggests conditioning is the issue. I suppose I was trying to run until I broke down again and as it didnt happen by then I had done enough. Wont you be tempted to push Edinburgh a bit more once the race atmosphere kicks in?

Free-the positive side of not running is that is when some of the adaptations from previous training has a chance to take effect.It felt good getting out again

Another swim today

21/05/2013 at 10:26

No chance for sub 42 on Thursday! Aiming for that will give me only pain My PB for the 10K is 42:59 and that was done in October last year after a good load of speedwork. I would be totally happy with 43:xx as that is already a minute better than the time I was doing last year in the same race. I am aiming for a 41:xx by the end of the summer - but need to build up to that. I will pace it at 7mm and see what comes out of the mix.

21/05/2013 at 11:16

2old - absolutely not - I'm running for fun with a friend and I dont want to deal with the consequences of taking her out too fast!   Plus, I can still remember how hard london was - I'm not ready for that again just yet.

21/05/2013 at 11:20

Ant-I thought the point of a 10k was pain

KFC-so its going to be more of a fun/chat run nothing wrong with that...I would love to do one myself but Id struggle at 4.30 now

21/05/2013 at 11:24

Carrot: wow, up to 15 miles already! That's brilliant!

And nice 13, Freemers.

Bro: congrats on the new job . Great running with a hangover.

Minni: great news!

Ant: well done on the 3000 - sounds brutal!

2old: more positive news from you. Keep crossing my fingers for further improvement.

No news on the running front here . I will be resting till Sunday . Then do the 10k and if the leg is giving me further grief I'll sit back and jog round with Mr. Chick. The race is local - less than a mile from home so no travel involved. Just a fiver in entrance fees for our local youth centre.

Not expecting anything really...  with little to no running and no speed work since the marathon there's not a huge chance of PBing ...

21/05/2013 at 13:17

KFC - major schedule ahead for you!

ant - great 3k. Just the thought of laps on a track brinGs me out in a rash!

minni - good news. 

2old - great that you've managed that distance. Don't rush it. 

Rest day for me yesterday and I'm considering an arctic swim again tonight. Considering...!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.