Minni v Dubai Dave

30,321 to 30,340 of 37,465 messages
21/05/2013 at 08:46

Morning

Nice racing Ant

Sounds very promising Minni

21/05/2013 at 09:36

simon - shhhhh!

2old - edinburgh - at 4.30 pace though so its more a LSR.  7M at 8 pace is going some after your layoff - be careful on your build up please!

Ant - I guess that pacing helps explain why you just missed your target - I find it so hard to get right on the shorter distances.  I'm with freemers, I think a swifter 10k is ON!

21/05/2013 at 09:56

Ant-pacing must be a fine art at that distance, a couple of seconds may mean the difference between hell and a pb. That speed can only help your 5k and 10k racing though. Does track running have a high injury risk-I am sure it did for knees.

KFC-I guess it was a bit fast but it felt ok which was probably the result of spinning and swimming over the last few weeks. Left foot/heel/ankle stiff this am but so is the right side which suggests conditioning is the issue. I suppose I was trying to run until I broke down again and as it didnt happen by then I had done enough. Wont you be tempted to push Edinburgh a bit more once the race atmosphere kicks in?

Free-the positive side of not running is that is when some of the adaptations from previous training has a chance to take effect.It felt good getting out again

Another swim today

21/05/2013 at 10:26

No chance for sub 42 on Thursday! Aiming for that will give me only pain My PB for the 10K is 42:59 and that was done in October last year after a good load of speedwork. I would be totally happy with 43:xx as that is already a minute better than the time I was doing last year in the same race. I am aiming for a 41:xx by the end of the summer - but need to build up to that. I will pace it at 7mm and see what comes out of the mix.

21/05/2013 at 11:16

2old - absolutely not - I'm running for fun with a friend and I dont want to deal with the consequences of taking her out too fast!   Plus, I can still remember how hard london was - I'm not ready for that again just yet.

21/05/2013 at 11:20

Ant-I thought the point of a 10k was pain

KFC-so its going to be more of a fun/chat run nothing wrong with that...I would love to do one myself but Id struggle at 4.30 now

21/05/2013 at 11:24

Carrot: wow, up to 15 miles already! That's brilliant!

And nice 13, Freemers.

Bro: congrats on the new job . Great running with a hangover.

Minni: great news!

Ant: well done on the 3000 - sounds brutal!

2old: more positive news from you. Keep crossing my fingers for further improvement.

No news on the running front here . I will be resting till Sunday . Then do the 10k and if the leg is giving me further grief I'll sit back and jog round with Mr. Chick. The race is local - less than a mile from home so no travel involved. Just a fiver in entrance fees for our local youth centre.

Not expecting anything really...  with little to no running and no speed work since the marathon there's not a huge chance of PBing ...

21/05/2013 at 13:17

KFC - major schedule ahead for you!

ant - great 3k. Just the thought of laps on a track brinGs me out in a rash!

minni - good news. 

2old - great that you've managed that distance. Don't rush it. 

Rest day for me yesterday and I'm considering an arctic swim again tonight. Considering...!

21/05/2013 at 14:13

AA/Chick-thanks, Im gradually returning to running but I think I can carry on with the non impact stuff in between

AA-do that ice swim tonight-its warming up and if you do yours today it will force me to do mine tomorrow

Chick-sometimes its good to do a race just for fun-Im starting to sketch a few ideas for next month

Another pool swim out of the way and no more until Friday.

21/05/2013 at 14:13

5 mile recovery run along the canal. Legs appear to still be moving, if a little slowly.

AA - brr

KFC - were you cycling along the canal in islington/hackney today? I saw someone who looked the spit of you near viccy park.

Chick - bring on those 10Ks! Hope the leg recovers

21/05/2013 at 14:47

Ant - well done last night.  Sounds pretty good to me.  Did the asparagus help or hinder?

KFC - have you done Edinburgh before?  There's not much atmosphere (compared to London or the Town Moor ). 

2old - its sounding good for you.

Spoons - did you get a new bike last year on the cycle to work scheme?  I'm thinking about it and just been to the bike shop for a look...

Chick -  hopefully things might feel good on the day for the 10k.

I ran another 2 miles this morning, pain free.  Won't be home till late tonight so nothing till tomorrow night now but all looking good (fingers crossed).  And its kick started my healthy eating again.

21/05/2013 at 17:21

Minni - I don't think the wine and asparagus race preparation technique worked particularly well!

21/05/2013 at 19:52

Our training plans for June have just been dealt a substantial blow as BA has been sent the date to have his cataract 'done' - 31 May - and he has been told no running or cycling until after his post op follow-up on 25 June   So much for our month of cycling hills and running 10 k races.

I can do the running no problem (actually prefer it on my own) but long cycle rides on my own seem a bit unfair if he is stuck at home unable to drive (plus I'm not very good with mechanical issues) 

Anyway took him out for 50 minutes off-road running tonight and a hill training bike session planned for after work tomorrow, although he doesn't know about that yet 

21/05/2013 at 21:43

O4S - oh no...  How about hiring a tandem for a month and getting BA to ride 'stoker' weraing flying goggles?  My mum had hers done a few years back and she recovered well and quickly - and she usually takes a while to get over these things.

Ant - yes I was!  Hope I didnt knock you over!

Minni - no I've not.  I'm a bit worried about lack of atmosphere for my mate who loves the big city races - last one we did was Berlin so its got a lot to live up to.  I'm going to have to store up 4.5 hours of good chat.  I'll be liberally calling on material from here - all names will be changed to protect the identities of the innocent 

21/05/2013 at 22:14

Congratulations on the new job offer Bro! I did a weekly steady run for London instead of the usual MLR, so much more fun than just running at an easy pace.  Sounds like your faster training is going really well

Five spin classes is some going SS!

I can't even imagine how hard 10 in 10 must be 2old, does it end in Windermere? That's a lot of swimming, must have been 100 lengths or so? Hope the run tomorrow goes to plan.

Sounds like a plan Col, hang on!!  The 9.6K race suggests you've got the speed in your legs.

Well done getting the 3000m done Ant, I don't think I'd be brave enough to attempt a race that short!

That lot must have set you back a few quid Becs!

AA Amsterdam isn't until October but there'll be about a month now when I can't get  a long run in at the weekend either because of other races or things we have organised.  Glad the shoulder is getting better, just in time for the next long ride out  

Sorry to hear things aren't going so well at home Red That's good that your Achilles held out for your cricket game, probably a very good test of it with all the start / stop and sprinting about and stuff.

Barry I've got a 5K race next week, I've never done a 5K race before (seeing as parkruns are now in their own league on PO10!)  A few 10Ks coming up, plus Blaydon in a few weeks which I think is 5.9 miles. 

Fingers crossed the leg is better by Sunday Chick, at least you'll be well rested for it!

Do you taper or carb load or anything for pacing a marathon kfc? Or just rock up and pace it to perfection?  Enjoy the view of those chimneys....

Feel as if I'm getting a sore throat, and got a 10K tomorrow night.  Not just making excuses for a piss poor performance, honestly

21/05/2013 at 23:08

Minni  - only 60days until this ---Take this unique opportunity to run around Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, past iconic Olympic and Paralympic Games venues including the Velodrome and the ArcelorMittal Orbit. Your experience will finish on the track, inside the Olympic Stadium – following in the footsteps of legends such as Usain Bolt, Mo Farah, Jessica Ennis and David Weir. - See more at: http://www.nationallotteryrun.com/Events/Anniversary-Run#sthash.Mq3Mzcom.dpuf

O4S- he's got a great support network- you. How about a tandem? The FV60 winner at Windermere marathon did it in 4.25. You could win it next year. 

Kfc- 4.5 hours of chat. I'd sprint off for some ppeace 

Carrot- stop feeling sorry for yourself. That's my department ...nail that 10k 

signed up for a sprint tri in 3 weeks. Not sure if I will be able to do it but fingers crossed .

22/05/2013 at 05:35

Morning gang 

carrot - good luck tonight. No way am I in any shape for a 10k just yet! is parsnip doing amsterjam too?

Bro - forgot to say congrats  on the new job.

o4S - that's bad news re BA. am I right in thinking its the Pyrenees this summer?

2old - nice one entering a sprint tri

ended up going swimming in the lake last night. Managed 2.3k. Not fast in 52 mins but better than nothing and the furthest I've swam this year. And my shoulders know about it today. The good news is it was a balmy 15.1 degrees  

Edited: 22/05/2013 at 05:37
22/05/2013 at 08:21

AA: yup, Pyrennees in August, but we have a two week 'normal' holiday at the start of July so time for training is running out.  Just hoping that cycling from Bristol to the Spanish border will 'ride us fit' but not sure if that works

2old: I'm quite good though I say so myself .  Tough love is the order of the day down here - when he was in hip to toe plaster his work colleagues were horrified at the way I treated him, but he admitted afterwards that he would never have run another marathon and certainly not an ultra is I hadn't forced him back into it.  As I pointed out, being in a leg plaster is no reason not to do the washing up / ironing etc and as soon as he swapped the plaster for a leg brace I made him walk 4 miles to work.......................

KFC / 2old:  the only time we tried to get on a tandem we decided divorce was the only sensible option

Just finished marking 200 second year exam scripts....................

22/05/2013 at 09:02

Carrot - I dont taper, but I carb load, provide lots of last minute jitter support, and most importantly arrange the post run night out and the soak the day after!

O4S - riding into fitness works - my OH does it every tour.  He starts unfit with a belly, and after about 10 days is a lot happier once he's lost 5kg!  On a tour through the alps a few years back, we were 'recognised' at the top of a col by someone who'd been chatting to other cyclists who'd seen us on previous days - quote - "oh, you're those guys - its really funny, cos the guy looks like he's really hurting, and the girl is much faster than him..."

AA - nice swimming, that pace will happily get you out of the water halfway through the field in your HIM

22/05/2013 at 09:07

Still no internet at home and struggling to keep up

Minni - no - I got a 2nd hand bike. My work won't do cycle to work scheme. I had a big argument about it with the company accountant. He said he's done it in other companies and it's a nightmare for the accounts dept. He also said people leave the company half way through paying for the bike etc.....

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.