RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

30,421 to 30,440 of 37,338 messages
27/05/2013 at 17:56

Dale missed your report earlier, congrats on a fab first marathon

Becs keep at it, best to take ut slowly + listen to your body.

sunny here but horrible wind ruining sitting outdoors.

After 2 weeks of no running, did a very gentle 3 niles this am, loved it, felt fantastic only for post run the knee to ballon up. very pissed off, am doing the stupid physio exercises which take up so much time + haven't run a step for 2 weeks, 1 little 3 miler + bam

27/05/2013 at 19:40

Great 10K Chick, congrats on the new PB Flowers, bling and free race entry is an excellent prize! So pleased you did well.

You must be fed up now Minni, hope you manage to get that appointment at the physio. 

You must also be fed up now Kiwi, just when you were getting somewhere Is it worth seeking out a different physio?

You've probably just adjusting to the extra swim and bike training AA, don't despair!

Well done on the HM Col, cracking time

Hope the knees are OK after your sunny run Becs.

Hen do was great fun! I had the morning off run directing at my usual parkrun so put an appearance in at where I class my 'home' parkrun.  The usual piss poor pacing that is the 5K!! First KM in 3:50, knew it was going to hurt from that point on, each KM was slower than the last, managed to stumble over the finish in 21:07.  Ah well, bacon sandwich and a cup of tea then it was home to get changed for the hen do, a mixture of blindfolds, karaoke and a play doh willy that was the mascot of the day. 

27/05/2013 at 20:21

Barry B yep, it was a PB. I ran 3:43 in Berlin 2010 and 3:46 in Liverpool 2011.

I meant it was my first marathon with an even pacing strategy not it was my first marathon 

27/05/2013 at 20:45

Minni  No wonder you want answers. It has been a while now so seems like it might be more than a pull or tear. I don't know if you have a Minor Injuries clinic but can be useful to get an x-ray just to put your mind at rest.

Well done to our ladies winning prizes and the multiple PB efforts.

My marathon training starts next week and I can't wait to satrt following a schedule!

27/05/2013 at 21:24

Glad to hear you had fun yesterday carrot

O4S looking forward to hearing more about the 100m.  It sounds like Pam had a great run and finished 2nd.  She'll be desperate for a win.

Barry, 2old, Kiwi - I know I shouldn't complain too much because really my injury has just had me out for a few weeks, compared to longer for you.  In the meantime I'm really getting into the fitness sessions on kinect.  Bootcamp, power and strength, speed and endurance sessions are me  with lots of squats, lunges etc.  I've done two sessions today - almost 2 hours.  Hopefully this will be doing some good.

CG - yay!  There's nothing like a schedule to follow. 

Edited: 27/05/2013 at 21:25
27/05/2013 at 22:49

Hi All. Enjoying a bit of sun 

Minni - keep up the strength stuff it makes all the difference when runs return

simon- nice short ride 

CG- I suppose mine also starts then... Fat chance. Hope yours goes better

Dale - welcome. I've done Berlin and Liverpool both were PBs and the latter still is 

Carrot- fast 5k after a Hen do. Speed is now imbedded in you 

Kiwi- you have my sympathy. 

O4S - how he heck did you find time tto pop in ? Hope all went wwell 

28/05/2013 at 08:39

Chick - fantastic result...another podium for the ladies

Col - sounds like a quick HM there

Dale - brilliant marathon, and that's a big chunk off your PB 

Carrot - well done on the parkrun and on surviving your hen do

Minni / Kiwi - so bl**dy annoying with injuries. Kiwi - there must be something going on in there to make your knee swell like that after a run.  Did the physio have any explanation for it?  Minni - definitely get the calf checked out again.

I had some nice runs over the weekend, making the most of the lovely spring sunshine - 8 on Saturday, 14.5 on Sunday and 6 yesterday. But my hip has started playing up - its a problem I've had quite a few times before and hopefully will sort itself out with a bit of stretching, but it feels very painful today. I'm going to stick to cycling in the gym for a couple of days and keep up the weights programme.  And get on the foam roller!  I'm not too bothered by it - and given that the lovely spring sunshine has been replaced by rain I don't mind being confined to the gym.

28/05/2013 at 09:11

Chick - well done, always nice to get into a ding-dong race to spur you on, which it obviously did!

Col - that's definitely something for you to build on in two weeks time

Dale - well done on your sub 3.30, third time lucky! (although it obviously wasn't luck, it was the steady pacing!)

Minni / Kiwi - sorry to hear you're both still in the wars. With 2old, Barry and me half of the thread are on the bench at the moment. 

Carrot - well done on getting through your hen do. I'm sure it was great fun, but always a relief to get them out of the way!  

Another very bad week to report from me unfortunately. Dad really not well and pulled in for another emergency op last Wednesday. Fingers crossed they've sorted it, but was very stressful to say the least.

I was going to cry off of cricket on Saturday but hate letting people down so did a mad rush there which meant I had no chance for a warm up. Have had really tight hamstrings lately and sure enough, I pulled my quad chasing a ball in the very first over. I couldn't go off as they would have had to play with ten men the whole game, so ended up fielding on it for three hours which made it much worse - and just as the achilles was healing too.

Excuse the self-pity for a minute, but I am really beginning to wonder when my injury nightmare is going to end. I'm now just 6 weeks short of going a whole year without a single race and am completely fed up with it all. It's sooooo bloody frustrating!

28/05/2013 at 09:33

Really sorry to hear about continued injury woes kiwi & redders . Redders, hope your dad is on the way to recovery. Always stressful when something like that happens.

Sounds like a brilliant hen do, carrot. Well done on getting the parkrun in

I have DOMS    can't believe I have DOMS after a 10k  ...  did 5 miles yesterday and 6 this morning but my legs were heavy, tired and hurting. Definitely not doing another race now until June 14

28/05/2013 at 10:02

Blinking rain has arrived here now. Boo hiss. Lovely weekend of running though.

Sorry to hear about everyone's continuing injury woes. There definiiely seems to be a lot going around. I wonder what the explanation is, or whether it is a coincidence. Do you keep a running diary? Were there any signs leading up to the injury, like extra tiredness or more niggles?

I read a Matt Fitzgerald book last year (name escapes me) where he recommends rating every run you do as 1, 2, or 3 depending on how you feel (1 is peachy) - the point is to analyse how you feel over time and try and pick up on downward trends where you obv need a rest, or ID some potential niggle that is developing.

Red hope your Dad is doing better this week. 

For those who are still training, this is tonight's track session for the 10K program, with the group's recommended paces 

3x400m @ 5k pace (6.30 m/m) with 200m recovery.
1x 3000m (7 and a half laps!) @ 10k pace (6.45 m/m).
3x400m @ mile pace (5.45 m/m).
Only 200m recovery between sets also. Session designed to maintain high blood lactate concentration.

28/05/2013 at 10:26

rather you than me, Ant!!  Can you at least walk the recovery sections?

28/05/2013 at 10:49

Redders:  ((( ))) I know exactly what you are going through from a few years back

Kiwi: time for a second opinion??

Carrot: hen dos hadn't been thought of when I got married, I feel I missed out hearing about the mascot   When is the wedding??

I smell of Flash and Toilet Duck - can't seem to get rid of the aroma...........I did more cleaning this weekend than I have done in nearly 40 years of married life

Although cleaning etc was our main role we did get to run 12 miles of the route behind the runners on Saturday.  Along the Camel trail the bluebells were fighting for space with the primroses - mixed up seasons or what?

Today's quiz:  Try to guess the unusual use the following items were used for on a 100 mile ultra [all separate incidents]

A roll of brown parcel tape / a sweat shirt and T shirt being worn by BA / a tube of Deep heat / 4 surgical gloves, scrunched into a tight ball and secured with duct tape..........................

Answers on the back of a used gel sachet!

28/05/2013 at 10:51

Chick - I'll be walking them I reckon!

O4S - sounds like a makeshift football 

28/05/2013 at 11:20

Should have said - they weren't all used together!  Four separate bizarre uses for disparate items.  Two devised by BA!!

28/05/2013 at 13:28

Chick- woohoo!!! Many congrats on the pb. It's always nice to surprise yourself (in a good way). Great racing. Take it easy and let the legs rest now.

2Old- sounds like you're on the mend. Well done on 40mpw, it's more than I'm doing now.

AA-well done braving the freezing water temperatures. I'm not surprised you feel tired!

Col- very well done on the HM, impressive time.

Dale- congrats on the mara, sounds like you got it spot on with the pacing.

Becs- glad to hear things are looking up for you.

Carrot- great parkrunning and hendoing! Sounds like you had fun.

Free- ouch not another one on the bench. Hope it's nothing serious with the hip.

Red- sorry to hear about your dad. Hope things start improving for you soon on all fronts.

Ant-  . Better you than me, definitely!

28/05/2013 at 13:34

Minni- when are you seeing the physio?

Busy weekend for me running and cycling. Easy 6m on Saturday (what a relief it was to run easy for a change) @ 8.13 and tempo intervals on Sunday in boiling heat but @ slightly more managable than last week 7.08/7.10. Yesterday was spent enjoying the sun and cycling around Richmond park.

Killer track session tonight. 4x 1m @ 6.50 with 2min recoveries (no walking allowed). I think 6.50 is slightly optimistic judging by my last week's 10k performance but will try to get as close as possible. Eeek so not looking forward to it!

The next 10k is on Sunday...

28/05/2013 at 14:02

Bro - you're on a similar mental race scedule as me. My next one is next tuesday. Bring it on!

28/05/2013 at 15:29

Minni - Complain as much as you want that's what we are here for to share the good times and the bad. I've been keeping busy doing the Insanity workouts, in to my 3rd week and loving it, not as much as running, but it is v tough and I sweat a lot , good job we've got laminate floor.

Red - Sorry to hear about your dad, hopefully they have sorted it.  Regarding your running you've got to make some decisions, start looking after your body, if you get injured with the proper preparations it's bad enough but  you would n't do speedwork without a long warm up so why do it on the cricket pitch. I know you did n't want to let your team down but your not going to be much use if you are injured for the season.

Ant -  That's a tough session, but smile through it and be happy you are doing it.

Kiwi - Sorry to hear you are struggling, have you had your gait/trainers checked recently, many years ago before I started running "seriously" my right knee swelled badly(looked like I had some decent muscles) and that was down to impact.

Chick - Be happy with the doms, shows you were pushing hard.

Edited: 28/05/2013 at 15:30
28/05/2013 at 16:34

my next 10k would have been on Sunday too but I binned the idea of doing any more of them. Sunday was as much pain as I could bear what with no proper training for 5 weeks. I'm simply not in the shape to endure another one and I'm bloody glad the old injury hasn't bounced back. It's HADD for me for a few weeks and then back to P&D on July 1st for HM training. I may do another 10k in August. By then I should have some speed back, I hope .

BarryB: I read about the insanity workout a while ago and was tempted. We have a tiled floor, so that will be ok . Do you think it's worth it? I'm dreading it a bit coz I have zero strength

Bro: enjoy track tonight

28/05/2013 at 16:37

Quick check in from me and I've only skimmed back so I've probably missed important stuff.

Chick - well done on the PB

Minni / Kiwi - sorry to hear you're still struggling. Keep up the cross training.

I managed a 20 miler at the weekend which was hot and a bit slow towards the end. Other than that I am so busy at the minute everything is a struggle. Plus no internet at home yet......

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.