RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

30,441 to 30,460 of 37,126 messages
28/05/2013 at 17:31

Dale J - well done on a fantastic time in the Edinburgh marathon.

Becs -  I am pleased to read that it is looking up for you. I hope the progress continues. I didn't manage a pb in my half but I think it gives something to build on for the next one.

Minni -  sorry to hear your calf is still not right. Hopefully you can get to the bottom of it soon.

Barry -  my next half is mainly flat with only the one fairly big hill at the half way point. I have managed to pb at it twice before. Not expecting to pb this time round but would like to record a time a wee bit quicker than Sunday's half.

Kiwi -   sorry to hear that your knees are still not right. It must be so frustrating!

Carrot - good parkrun time there. This saturday I plan to use parkrun as a time trial.

Redwood - I hope your dad is recovering well this week. Also hope your leg settles down.

Ant - that looks a killer session tonight.

10k track training for me tonight. Don't know what the session is but I hope it wont be as tough as Ant's.

28/05/2013 at 18:57

Internet's on!!!

28/05/2013 at 20:01

Quick check in - great news from the physio. Not much wrong but it's going to be a small fortune and a lots of boring exercises to get to tip top condition. More later but must go to the pub now. 

28/05/2013 at 21:13

Minni  Sounds like good news if somewhat intruiging. Enjoy the pub

O4S I give up. I can't imagine what use was made of those items. Pray do tell!

Spoons - Well done on the 20 miler and on getting the internet on

I have been running so slowly lately with no improvement and was starting to think I was overtrained which seemed a bit starnge after only haveing being running again for a couple of months. I did a HM on Sunday that  was too embarrassed to post on here which even though I ran as a training run, I couldn't run any faster than 9 m/m on the flat bits

I had a phone call from the docs today which I;m hoping is an explanation. I had some bloods done as I collapsed out running with what was diagnosed as a hypo and the bloods are showing a low red blood cell count. I've got to go back for more tests but hoping that some iron tablets will sort me out and that I'm not old and past it after all!

28/05/2013 at 22:11

Ant- killer10kroutine enjoy!!!

col- have fun on the track

CG- hope all is oK. Any caffeine in your gels ? I'm old and passed it you're not!

minni- don't you just hate it when they say there's not much wrong with you when you can't do what you love 

spoons- a 20 miler ? Who does them these days? Nice going

bro- its 40 in a month ! Not a week.  wish I was 10k rrunning

chick- all that slow running has made you fast And you're going to get ffaster . You earnt those DOMS ...revel in the pain

barry - any progress?

o4S- is this a running or hygiene thread?

not much sun today.

28/05/2013 at 22:15

Damn thread glitches !!!!!!

managed 1.25k swim yesterday and 9mile run today half on beach in a gale  and rest in shelter . Achilles feels like a mess of aches temporary pain and strain but it didn't stop me so either I'm mending or getting good at pain management. I love running on the beach. 

28/05/2013 at 22:48

Sounds like you're being sensible with the hip Free. Still a month to go before training starts for Northumberland?

Red you must be fed up with it now, it must be even more frustrating that you've had to play on while injured because they don't have enough for the team   Hope the op has sorted things out for your Dad.  I agree, it's a bit of a relief to get the hen do out of the way!

DOMS after a 10K should be expected Chick! You ran fast and hard

Hope the track session was fun (!) tonight Ant? I actually like the sound of that, I like the sessions where you run at different paces. 

Likewise Bro -hope it went to plan, although mile reps are my most hated session!

O4S the date for the Northern Veggies is 22nd June.  The unusual items sounds intriguing.  What on earth can you use a tube of deep heat for other than sore muscles?  The mind boggles

What does the insanity workout involve Barry?  What's the latest with your calf?

Enjoy the pub Minni, great news on the calf 

CG I'm no medic but a low red blood cell count has got to affect your running!  A bit like when you give blood and feel like crap for a few weeks afterwards. Daren did this a few times last year (are you still out there Daren?!)

Take care with that Achilles 2old, hopefully it is on the mend! Sounds like a lovely run today.

As everyone is confessing, my next 10K is 16th June.  I have another on 3rd July. I have a 5K race and a 5.9mile race before that.  Come back marathon training, all is forgiven.  

29/05/2013 at 05:09

Minni - Sounds encouraging.

Chick/Carrot - Insanity is an intense 60 day program. After seeing FRC'sprogress which included the workout classes I wanted to do include some conditioning work in my training. It's  6 days a week with various workouts(30 to 40 minutes) which is mainly cardio based with emphasis on a strong core. No weights involved and only a couple of the exercises need upper body strength.  I was going to do it every other day mixed with running but as I'm not running I'm following the daily schedule. It's ideal for us as I think you have to be fit before starting it as even the warm up get's you sweaty and out of breath and I have n't managed to complete a workout yet without some short breaks. Every couple of weeks there is a fit test and I saw an avg 40% improvement after 2 weeks. I saw it first on one of the shopping channels, check out the website for the inspiring video clips. The good news is the workouts are not causing problems for my shin/calf, going to give it another week at least before trying to run on it though.

Edited: 29/05/2013 at 05:15
29/05/2013 at 07:35

sounds positive Minni

29/05/2013 at 07:36

Redders - sorry to hear your dad has had a setback.  And we understand your frustration over the races.  Its always easier for someone else to say but once again think back to Freemers who missed a year and has come back stronger than ever.  Be careful out on that cricket pitch! 

Kiwi - what did the fizzy say about the knee?

Chick - lol re the doms!  10k doms hurt more than others!

Ant - that is a really good idea to rate each run especially if a problem does occur and then its easier to look back and pin point triggers.  That session sounds !  How did it go?

Brol - how did the session go?  Pretty too!

Barry - I know that program.  Mr Minni wanted to buy it for me last year but I pointed out that I didn't have time.  I'll be really interested to hear how you progress through it and what difference it makes.  I think if you stick it will make a big difference to your overall strength once back to proper running.

O4S - well done for your cleaning efforts at the weekend!  I hear you did a sterling job.    Also, Pam is very grateful to you for looking after her so well at the weekend.  She was telling me last night how ill she felt in the second half and how sick she was at the end.  I've never heard her say 'never again' before!   And I've told her that Round Rotherham 2014 is a definite!

Spoons - glad to have you back!

2old - 9 miles?  Getting there?

CG - KFC  was anemic last year and once she got the iron pills it made all the difference.  Hopefully the same will happen for you.

KFC - where are you?  I stalked Edinburgh results and see you paced your friend perfectly and had fun on the way!

29/05/2013 at 08:02

So yesterday I had an appointment with a sports physio in the muckle toon.  There were no appointments for a couple of weeks but I was on a waiting list and they called yesterday with a cancellation so I jumped at it.

I'd written down all my training since Christmas and marked on times where I felt niggles (especially problems with the hip over the months) and the falls where I hurt my shin etc.

He went over the history then I went through loads of balance and fatigue tests -   lunges, calf raises, balancing on one foot, measuring calf stretches etc.

He actually said my calves are pretty strong and was impressed with the amount of raises I could do on each leg before signs of fatigue set in and I also have a good stretch range.

However, he feels my glutes and core are weak.  Also, as I tire I start to roll inwards on my feet and this is putting unnecessary pressure on my outer calves.  (Both calves have felt bashed since the marathon but only the left one has felt 'injured'.  Test on both showed they were sore in exactly the same areas).

My left side is definitely weaker than my right - it was obvious to both of us as he worked through.  The left hand side of my pelvis is out of line and there's tightness in my lower spine (L4). This all needs sorted, which will improve my running style and insoles will help prevent my over pronation when tired. 

He has taped my feet up to mimic the insoles and see how that helps initially and given me a range of excercises to do.  He said my core needs serious work .

Apparently I have a good level of strength in some areas but others are really lacking (ie core, glutes) and so he's taken it back to basics and I must start working on those before progressing onto harder stuff.

The sore calf was hardly mentioned! He checked it and didn't think there was much to worry about but unless I address the other problems this will always hinder me. 

So, all in all a really good 90 minutes spent.  I'm going back tomorrow night for a full hands on session to loosen everything off.  He did a bit of this last night and did trigger points on my piriformis - I nearly vomited through the hole in the table!

He want's me straight back running, even if this is just a mile at a time. 

I'm feeling much happier!!

29/05/2013 at 08:31

Ah, the old trigger point in the piriformis....that's a real favourite of OH's when he gets to work on me! Good news minni in that it sounds like your physio has been very thorough and pinpointed some issues which you can sort out.  And you can run!!

I stalked kfc's result too - brilliant pacing

Red - tough times for you...I can definitely understand the injury frustrations - and it's easy to say be paitient and take your time coming back, but it definitely works.

CG - hope the blood tests are OK.

My hip feels a lot better today, but I am going to stick to cycling/cross training again, not taking any chances. Should be able to try a short run tomorrow.

29/05/2013 at 08:41

MInni:  the insoles [custom made?] completely transformed my running - the only difference being that I overpronate all the time, just getting worse as I get tired.  I was on my feet all this weekend without the orthotics and my outer calf muscles are tight and sore now.  It is my right side that it weaker and the piriformis trigger points are a horror story in glorious technicolour [and thats just the language]

2old:  All the items mentioned were used by runners - either during the event or afterwards with one exception, which was used to help the runners recover - so nothing whatsoever to do with hygiene, except for the Deep Heat

Carrot:  Be prepared to boggle!!!  The Deep heat was used by someone to clean their teeth....   I asked her if she hadn't noticed something a bit odd about the toothpaste, to which she replied that as it had been in her bag since last year she just thought it must have gone off!!  She then confessed that when she realised something was wrong she just kept on cleaning..........................

29/05/2013 at 09:11

Minni- great news on the physio front.  Looks like you'll be dealing with the cause rather than treating it which is the way to go. Good luck with all the strengthening work... yawn!

CG- hope it's nothing serious and you can get it sorted quickly once you know for sure what the cause is.

2Old- nice beach running.

Barry- your insanity programme sounds interesting, good luck with it.

Free- glad to hear the hip is behaving.

My track session was  as expected. I knew there was no way I could stick to 6.50 but did try... 6.47, 7.00, 7.10, 7.09. Ouch! I thought I was going to die after the second one but then it sort of got a bit more managable (and slower of course).

4m steady planned for later today.

29/05/2013 at 09:47

Minni - that all sounds positive. Core training is the way to go. Wasn't thee a video last year of killer core exercises that you were following?

Freemers - sounds sensible re the hip

Barry - are you going to be ripped at the end of all this?

Bro - track session sounds good - was it meant to be done @ 5KP or 10KP?

My track session was great last night and I am feeling pretty strong at the moment. Definitely aiming for PB on Tuesday. Did 3000m in 12:30 in the middle of the session, which I was pretty pleased with. We have a group of runners in the club who are all around the same pace, so we'll be pacing the 10K race on Tuesday as a group, which hopefully should help.

29/05/2013 at 10:07

Minni - sounds really positive, you're on the road back now

Brol and Ant - killer track sessions, well done!

Redders - I hope your Dad is doing better this week.

O4S - Someone actually cleaned their teeeth with deep heat?! I am convinced that all ultra runners must be crazy

Barry - your programme sounds really intense, and you are obviously reaping the rewards from it already, good to hear!

2Old - I like your style, beach running, very cool

C.G - no wonder you were struggling, a friend of mine struggle with anemia leading up to VLM and just thought she was constantly tired, once diagnosed the iron tablets did help, hopefully you'll soon be back to your normal self.

Freemers - a nice weekend of running from you, hop the hip settles.

Chick - has the DOMS gone now? You did a good race, evidence that you ran hard

Carrot - a nice parkrun from you, your line up of short and fast races will keep you busy over the next couple of weeks.

Didn't do any exercise yesterday- going to venture out later, will play it by ear, if the knees starts to swell will come home.  Not seeing the Physio until this coming Sunday - plan to do a couple runs and monitor the knee, see what she says. Interesting that people are building up their core - my core has been weak, am now really enjoying my weekly 'Pure abs' class, do straight after a spin session on Thursday nights, been along 5 weeks now and neck no longer hurts during the session and I don't have tummy doms after anymore. Need to build more in at home, just to find the time and patience on top of the zillion physio exericises I have to do - but hopefully it will be worth it in the end!

29/05/2013 at 10:07

Ant- well done on the track session, sounds like you're flying at the moment. Figers crossed for Tuesday. I think it was meant to be a bit faster than my 10k pace, the problem is my 10k pace at the moment is not what it was a couple of months ago.

I'll be happy if I can get something starting with 44.xx on Sunday. As long as it's going in the right direction...

29/05/2013 at 10:12

Well done on the killer sessions Brol and Ant.

O4S, Freemers and others - we all seem to have similar weaknesses.  Its just a pain in the arse putting it right. (see what I did there....)

Ant - erm well yes, I was following a killer core session but have been really slack of the last 6 months.  (slack = nil ).  Its just all so time consuming and boring. 

Talking of which, how long do those exercises take to do?   I don't know how I'm going to find the time.  First session and 1.5m run done this morning.

29/05/2013 at 10:17

Kiwi - just a point the fizzy said to me last night:  don't rely on the abs too much during core work it has to come from deeper.  So my stomach muscles feel quite hard but under than is mush.  Engage that pelvic floor...   

29/05/2013 at 10:22

Great news, Minni . Finally a physio that seems to know his stuff. I've only ever encountered idiots ...  bet I have weak glutes and core too
Aargh, piriformis release   ... I remember that vividly. I screamed for a piece of wood to bite on

Barry: does the insanity workout improve core strength too?

CG: bit of a shocker, passing out during a run . You should compare notes with KFC, she had similar issues last year. I had too, albeit much less severe. I just got slower and slower when I was supposed to improve . Doc put me on iron and B12 and after 5 weeks I felt human again. I still take those supplements due to heavy blood loss every 4 weeks (sorry boys)

Bro and Ant: well done on your track sessions.

O4S: Deep Heat for toothpaste . Someone with completely warped tastebuds then ...

Another shit run for me . Plan was 9 or 10 but I was struggling so much today that I gave up after 8 and called it a day. Decided to rest tomorrow and hopefully by Friday my legs will feel normal again.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.