RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

30,441 to 30,460 of 36,995 messages
28/05/2013 at 09:33

Really sorry to hear about continued injury woes kiwi & redders . Redders, hope your dad is on the way to recovery. Always stressful when something like that happens.

Sounds like a brilliant hen do, carrot. Well done on getting the parkrun in

I have DOMS    can't believe I have DOMS after a 10k  ...  did 5 miles yesterday and 6 this morning but my legs were heavy, tired and hurting. Definitely not doing another race now until June 14

28/05/2013 at 10:02

Blinking rain has arrived here now. Boo hiss. Lovely weekend of running though.

Sorry to hear about everyone's continuing injury woes. There definiiely seems to be a lot going around. I wonder what the explanation is, or whether it is a coincidence. Do you keep a running diary? Were there any signs leading up to the injury, like extra tiredness or more niggles?

I read a Matt Fitzgerald book last year (name escapes me) where he recommends rating every run you do as 1, 2, or 3 depending on how you feel (1 is peachy) - the point is to analyse how you feel over time and try and pick up on downward trends where you obv need a rest, or ID some potential niggle that is developing.

Red hope your Dad is doing better this week. 

For those who are still training, this is tonight's track session for the 10K program, with the group's recommended paces 

3x400m @ 5k pace (6.30 m/m) with 200m recovery.
1x 3000m (7 and a half laps!) @ 10k pace (6.45 m/m).
3x400m @ mile pace (5.45 m/m).
Only 200m recovery between sets also. Session designed to maintain high blood lactate concentration.

28/05/2013 at 10:26

rather you than me, Ant!!  Can you at least walk the recovery sections?

28/05/2013 at 10:49

Redders:  ((( ))) I know exactly what you are going through from a few years back

Kiwi: time for a second opinion??

Carrot: hen dos hadn't been thought of when I got married, I feel I missed out hearing about the mascot   When is the wedding??

I smell of Flash and Toilet Duck - can't seem to get rid of the aroma...........I did more cleaning this weekend than I have done in nearly 40 years of married life

Although cleaning etc was our main role we did get to run 12 miles of the route behind the runners on Saturday.  Along the Camel trail the bluebells were fighting for space with the primroses - mixed up seasons or what?

Today's quiz:  Try to guess the unusual use the following items were used for on a 100 mile ultra [all separate incidents]

A roll of brown parcel tape / a sweat shirt and T shirt being worn by BA / a tube of Deep heat / 4 surgical gloves, scrunched into a tight ball and secured with duct tape..........................

Answers on the back of a used gel sachet!

28/05/2013 at 10:51

Chick - I'll be walking them I reckon!

O4S - sounds like a makeshift football 

28/05/2013 at 11:20

Should have said - they weren't all used together!  Four separate bizarre uses for disparate items.  Two devised by BA!!

28/05/2013 at 13:28

Chick- woohoo!!! Many congrats on the pb. It's always nice to surprise yourself (in a good way). Great racing. Take it easy and let the legs rest now.

2Old- sounds like you're on the mend. Well done on 40mpw, it's more than I'm doing now.

AA-well done braving the freezing water temperatures. I'm not surprised you feel tired!

Col- very well done on the HM, impressive time.

Dale- congrats on the mara, sounds like you got it spot on with the pacing.

Becs- glad to hear things are looking up for you.

Carrot- great parkrunning and hendoing! Sounds like you had fun.

Free- ouch not another one on the bench. Hope it's nothing serious with the hip.

Red- sorry to hear about your dad. Hope things start improving for you soon on all fronts.

Ant-  . Better you than me, definitely!

28/05/2013 at 13:34

Minni- when are you seeing the physio?

Busy weekend for me running and cycling. Easy 6m on Saturday (what a relief it was to run easy for a change) @ 8.13 and tempo intervals on Sunday in boiling heat but @ slightly more managable than last week 7.08/7.10. Yesterday was spent enjoying the sun and cycling around Richmond park.

Killer track session tonight. 4x 1m @ 6.50 with 2min recoveries (no walking allowed). I think 6.50 is slightly optimistic judging by my last week's 10k performance but will try to get as close as possible. Eeek so not looking forward to it!

The next 10k is on Sunday...

28/05/2013 at 14:02

Bro - you're on a similar mental race scedule as me. My next one is next tuesday. Bring it on!

28/05/2013 at 15:29

Minni - Complain as much as you want that's what we are here for to share the good times and the bad. I've been keeping busy doing the Insanity workouts, in to my 3rd week and loving it, not as much as running, but it is v tough and I sweat a lot , good job we've got laminate floor.

Red - Sorry to hear about your dad, hopefully they have sorted it.  Regarding your running you've got to make some decisions, start looking after your body, if you get injured with the proper preparations it's bad enough but  you would n't do speedwork without a long warm up so why do it on the cricket pitch. I know you did n't want to let your team down but your not going to be much use if you are injured for the season.

Ant -  That's a tough session, but smile through it and be happy you are doing it.

Kiwi - Sorry to hear you are struggling, have you had your gait/trainers checked recently, many years ago before I started running "seriously" my right knee swelled badly(looked like I had some decent muscles) and that was down to impact.

Chick - Be happy with the doms, shows you were pushing hard.

Edited: 28/05/2013 at 15:30
28/05/2013 at 16:34

my next 10k would have been on Sunday too but I binned the idea of doing any more of them. Sunday was as much pain as I could bear what with no proper training for 5 weeks. I'm simply not in the shape to endure another one and I'm bloody glad the old injury hasn't bounced back. It's HADD for me for a few weeks and then back to P&D on July 1st for HM training. I may do another 10k in August. By then I should have some speed back, I hope .

BarryB: I read about the insanity workout a while ago and was tempted. We have a tiled floor, so that will be ok . Do you think it's worth it? I'm dreading it a bit coz I have zero strength

Bro: enjoy track tonight

28/05/2013 at 16:37

Quick check in from me and I've only skimmed back so I've probably missed important stuff.

Chick - well done on the PB

Minni / Kiwi - sorry to hear you're still struggling. Keep up the cross training.

I managed a 20 miler at the weekend which was hot and a bit slow towards the end. Other than that I am so busy at the minute everything is a struggle. Plus no internet at home yet......

28/05/2013 at 17:31

Dale J - well done on a fantastic time in the Edinburgh marathon.

Becs -  I am pleased to read that it is looking up for you. I hope the progress continues. I didn't manage a pb in my half but I think it gives something to build on for the next one.

Minni -  sorry to hear your calf is still not right. Hopefully you can get to the bottom of it soon.

Barry -  my next half is mainly flat with only the one fairly big hill at the half way point. I have managed to pb at it twice before. Not expecting to pb this time round but would like to record a time a wee bit quicker than Sunday's half.

Kiwi -   sorry to hear that your knees are still not right. It must be so frustrating!

Carrot - good parkrun time there. This saturday I plan to use parkrun as a time trial.

Redwood - I hope your dad is recovering well this week. Also hope your leg settles down.

Ant - that looks a killer session tonight.

10k track training for me tonight. Don't know what the session is but I hope it wont be as tough as Ant's.

28/05/2013 at 18:57

Internet's on!!!

28/05/2013 at 20:01

Quick check in - great news from the physio. Not much wrong but it's going to be a small fortune and a lots of boring exercises to get to tip top condition. More later but must go to the pub now. 

28/05/2013 at 21:13

Minni  Sounds like good news if somewhat intruiging. Enjoy the pub

O4S I give up. I can't imagine what use was made of those items. Pray do tell!

Spoons - Well done on the 20 miler and on getting the internet on

I have been running so slowly lately with no improvement and was starting to think I was overtrained which seemed a bit starnge after only haveing being running again for a couple of months. I did a HM on Sunday that  was too embarrassed to post on here which even though I ran as a training run, I couldn't run any faster than 9 m/m on the flat bits

I had a phone call from the docs today which I;m hoping is an explanation. I had some bloods done as I collapsed out running with what was diagnosed as a hypo and the bloods are showing a low red blood cell count. I've got to go back for more tests but hoping that some iron tablets will sort me out and that I'm not old and past it after all!

28/05/2013 at 22:11

Ant- killer10kroutine enjoy!!!

col- have fun on the track

CG- hope all is oK. Any caffeine in your gels ? I'm old and passed it you're not!

minni- don't you just hate it when they say there's not much wrong with you when you can't do what you love 

spoons- a 20 miler ? Who does them these days? Nice going

bro- its 40 in a month ! Not a week.  wish I was 10k rrunning

chick- all that slow running has made you fast And you're going to get ffaster . You earnt those DOMS ...revel in the pain

barry - any progress?

o4S- is this a running or hygiene thread?

not much sun today.

28/05/2013 at 22:15

Damn thread glitches !!!!!!

managed 1.25k swim yesterday and 9mile run today half on beach in a gale  and rest in shelter . Achilles feels like a mess of aches temporary pain and strain but it didn't stop me so either I'm mending or getting good at pain management. I love running on the beach. 

28/05/2013 at 22:48

Sounds like you're being sensible with the hip Free. Still a month to go before training starts for Northumberland?

Red you must be fed up with it now, it must be even more frustrating that you've had to play on while injured because they don't have enough for the team   Hope the op has sorted things out for your Dad.  I agree, it's a bit of a relief to get the hen do out of the way!

DOMS after a 10K should be expected Chick! You ran fast and hard

Hope the track session was fun (!) tonight Ant? I actually like the sound of that, I like the sessions where you run at different paces. 

Likewise Bro -hope it went to plan, although mile reps are my most hated session!

O4S the date for the Northern Veggies is 22nd June.  The unusual items sounds intriguing.  What on earth can you use a tube of deep heat for other than sore muscles?  The mind boggles

What does the insanity workout involve Barry?  What's the latest with your calf?

Enjoy the pub Minni, great news on the calf 

CG I'm no medic but a low red blood cell count has got to affect your running!  A bit like when you give blood and feel like crap for a few weeks afterwards. Daren did this a few times last year (are you still out there Daren?!)

Take care with that Achilles 2old, hopefully it is on the mend! Sounds like a lovely run today.

As everyone is confessing, my next 10K is 16th June.  I have another on 3rd July. I have a 5K race and a 5.9mile race before that.  Come back marathon training, all is forgiven.  

29/05/2013 at 05:09

Minni - Sounds encouraging.

Chick/Carrot - Insanity is an intense 60 day program. After seeing FRC'sprogress which included the workout classes I wanted to do include some conditioning work in my training. It's  6 days a week with various workouts(30 to 40 minutes) which is mainly cardio based with emphasis on a strong core. No weights involved and only a couple of the exercises need upper body strength.  I was going to do it every other day mixed with running but as I'm not running I'm following the daily schedule. It's ideal for us as I think you have to be fit before starting it as even the warm up get's you sweaty and out of breath and I have n't managed to complete a workout yet without some short breaks. Every couple of weeks there is a fit test and I saw an avg 40% improvement after 2 weeks. I saw it first on one of the shopping channels, check out the website for the inspiring video clips. The good news is the workouts are not causing problems for my shin/calf, going to give it another week at least before trying to run on it though.

Edited: 29/05/2013 at 05:15
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.