RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

31,061 to 31,080 of 36,989 messages
05/07/2013 at 19:29

S hildon fast 10k. KFC excellent 5 miler, good luck tomorrow.

Chic, still a good run. surely there is a difference between being chic-ed and Chic-ed by THE Chic.  This 2nd breakie, are you related to Brol and hobbits?  

Redders, 3 speed sessions a week? Yikes. Barry, great running by you. No soreness?

AA top 50 miler.  

O4S Something always happens to you! Make good use of BA's credit card.  

Spoons Aim for low GI food to fill you up. Brown rice and chicken good.

2old, blimey, you must've walked under some ladders, sorry about the hens. Injury update please! That sore hard heel is what I had on my achilles for 18-24 months. I got huge improvement from an ice spray with menthol in. PM me your address and can stick one in the post. You can owe me a coffee & cake sometime.  

I'm with Daren and AA on the no plan front, but been winging it for the last 18 months. Peak for specific events, long run targets some weeks, others flexible. when I'm tired, I'll rest. Its worked so far. Rigid plan (straight jacket) not for me.

Did a new "VO2" circuit this week. Redders FYI, instructors specifically told us to keep moving on all the recoveries.  this circuit, instead of equal, lesser or even no recoveries (usually 30s work, 20s rest or 8 mins no rest) we had double the rest so 30sec effort, 1 min rest.. So could really go flat out for max reps -  massive hr spikes of course. 500 plus calories burnt off in 50 minutes, half of that resting, and yet next day not tired. Lot of fun, two rounds a circuit writing down how many reps and then trying to beat that.

Nice 18 miles trail done wednesday, 9m trail last night, so ultra ready for 13th.  

Good luck to those racing. KFC and ?

Edited: 05/07/2013 at 19:31
06/07/2013 at 20:40

kfc - good luck in your race

Barry - great to see you are continuing to run pain free. Nice miles too.

FRC - well done on the 18m trail run

I did a 10k race last night. It's a 2 lap race with about 1.5m of hills on both laps. I managed to hold a good pace on the first lap and went through half way in about 20:20. Unfortunately I struggled a bit on the hills in the 2nd lap and came in at 41:16. Happy with my time and on cooler night could maybe shave a few seconds off that.

Parkrun this morning in 20:54 followed by 75 mins at easy pace.

07/07/2013 at 07:25

Col - excellent racing there. 

Frc - you're putting in some good mileage. 

3k open water swim for me yesterday and gonna brave the heat for a run shortly but don't think it will be too far. 

07/07/2013 at 08:10

Some impressive running from you Col. As you say, not easy in this heat.  Sounds like you're going really well.

I was tied up with our local annual fell race yesterday.  Last year for the first time in its history (57 years) it had to be shortened due to torrential rain and floods making the two peaks dangerous.  Yesterday was the opposite - probably the hottest in history. 

The 20 miles across fell takes in two peaks of 815m and 714m and yesterday saw lots of people struggle in the heat.  The winner finished in 3:06, about 5 minutes down on the normal.  The first 15 or so runners in all wobbled on the finish line, such was their effort in the heat.  We had a broken ankle on one of the hills and the air ambulance had to be called (it arrived eventually a couple of hours later - poor man), and the vet needed called after a dog got bitten by an adder.  

It was a long day and one of those that I'm glad I've switched to the organisation side rather than the running side!

AA enjoy your run.  I'm off to do 14 before it gets too hot.

07/07/2013 at 10:24

16 mile run done. Warm out there.....

07/07/2013 at 10:25

Too hot for a 20!

07/07/2013 at 15:17

great racing col!

and a good LSR spoons

Fell race Sounds brutal, minni

canned my 5k today .... hangover!!

and it would have been too hot what with a 2pm start ...  :-/

Edited: 07/07/2013 at 15:19
07/07/2013 at 17:46

KFC - enjoy your evening!  

07/07/2013 at 19:33

Hi all some nice long runs going on over the last few daysand nice bike work AA.

Barry - Over the years I have applied for London through the ballot 4 times and never been successful always had to get a club entry

Col - nice 10k time on a hilly course.

Had a busy weekend. Another sub 19.30 5k on Friday night with a 19.12 fast flat trail course, 8 mile tempo run on Saturday followed by 16 this morning at 5.30 to avoid the heat but still finding it warm out there.

Hoping its cooler next sunday for the coastal run but still not sure whether to race it or treat it as a training run.

I am considering doing the New York marathon this year has anybody done it and if so what are the weather conditions in November and what is the course elevation like?

08/07/2013 at 05:42

Shildon - I've run New York. The main elevations are on the bridges between the boroughs. And it's quite muggy. For me it was a box ticked. Wouldn't run it again though. Nice runs thus weekend. 

Spoons - 16 in the heat is excellent. 

I did 9 yesterday ave 9:03 pace. 

08/07/2013 at 05:43

Shildon - I know Carrot has done NY and I think AA has too.  Don't mention it to brolish...   Nice 5ks there. 

08/07/2013 at 08:35

shildon: a colleague of mine did NY and loved it for the experience. It was though though (wot AA said - the bridges). He also hated the fact that they bus you out to the start in the middle of the night and you sit around there for 4 or 5 hours until the race begins. It can be quite cold early in the morning. He said he was frozen to the core by the time they started ...

13 miles for me this morning, av. pace 8:00   I felt guilty about not running at all this weekend so decided to make up for it. Very muggy though.

08/07/2013 at 09:00

Morning all...

col / shildon - great racing

Not much running from me this weekend - managed a nifty 6 miles Friday morning, then OH and I (and dog) left for a long weekend on the Hampshire / Berkshire border - which was basically for a party on Saturday at my boss's house....he was having our whole team  + families round, and it was a great day.  Far too much to drink, so big hangover yesterday.  Managed a 4 mile run in the morning before the party, but nothing yesterday except a very hot walk with the dog along the Ridgeway on our way home. 

08/07/2013 at 15:22

Freemers - where were you? I live in the Hampshire Berkshire border

chick - great run this morning. 

Shild - totally agree about the 5:30bus and the hanging around at the start too. 

08/07/2013 at 16:24
Some speedy 5k and 10k's there shildon and col

Conditions for the chevy sound amazing minni - it was the same for the dollar hill race on saturday. Completely clear and sunny, just a great day for a 10 miler up on the ochils. Decided to take it easy and enjoy the course and the views, finished in just under 2 hours, bottom half overall, mid table amongst the ladies. Lots of people speeding by me on the downs - 2 guys 'helpfully' yelling "you've got the wrong shoes on doll" on their way past...

Decided to bin the 10k yesterday morning - ran out of time and needed to get some jobs done before the match.

Watched andys match at my old tennis club, I've never been home for one of his big finals before and it was amazing to see that match alongside friends who like me have been following his progress for a while. Went out for a run in the evening (8M nice and easy - stiff quads!), took a route through town and the atmosphere was magic, never seen so many happy people out enjoying the sunny evening, and a big singalong at our gold postbox. Amazing day.
08/07/2013 at 20:44

No running for me today. Went to the gym and had a massage. 

Didn't watch the tennis as I was on the beach, and I don't watch much TV, and tennis is boring anyway.....

08/07/2013 at 20:52

Spoons - wash your mouth out!   Everyone should love tennis this week!

08/07/2013 at 21:57

Definitely, tennis was amazing. Never thought I'd ever see a British singles winner at Wimbledon. (Hands up who can remember Buster Motram as our great hope? Murray would've beat him at age 16 he was that bad)

Kfc, presume you're in dunblane then? Wow, Must've been something there. Good 10 miler.

Col, speedy hilly 10k. Shildon 19:12 for a trail 5k? Fast...and mileage after.

Good running by chic, Minni and AA too. It was hot out there this weekend.

08/07/2013 at 22:21

FRC - Don't forget those other big guns, Jeremy Bates, Andrew Castle, Mark Cox, Roger Taylor, and John Lloyd, the great hopefulls of the 70's and 80's. It's great now we've got a 'English' winner lol

Edited: 08/07/2013 at 22:22
09/07/2013 at 03:25

Hey guys what about Virginia Wade who was a single winner in 1977???  does it not count because she's a woman? 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.