RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

31,141 to 31,160 of 36,171 messages
13/07/2013 at 14:49

Hello all.  I'm still catching up, i've got about 10 pages to go 

Well done to Simon and DD for their EPIC cycling adventures.  Si, great race reprt and also from the other chap, inspirational stuff.  What amazing achievements both of you.

Carrot, many congrats on the wedding!  I hope it went well and that you both enjoyed a wonderful day.

O4S, congrats on the house sale, that must be a huge relief for you.  I hope BA has recovered from his cataract op.  I think the last post I remember reading from you said something about booking an actual holiday, one with no running/cycling.  And they said it would never happen   Enjoy it, I'm sure you'll fit in some crazy activity or other along the way...

Brolish, I hope your speed is ccoming back.  Maybe some Italian air (aka red wine...) will have helped 

That's all I can remember from my reading back.  Apologies if I've missed anything crucial, I'll catch up with the final 10 pages soon.

Chick, wow, that's some speedy reps lady!!

Free, hope your pub lunch was good!  Sounds like by far the better option.

13/07/2013 at 15:04

And it stops typing yet again *sigh*

Spoons, looks like you're nicely back into it all.

Thanks Chick, Carrot and Barry for the spring marathon recommendations.  I willl have a look at them and see.  I'm guessing I will know in a month or so, when I reintroduce speedwork, whether Dubai is realistic.  If it's not, I will ditch it and go to Europe instead 

Barry, sounds like you're well and truly back in the game too.  How's the knee now?

KFC, enjoy!  Sounds v exciting, can't wait to hear all about it.

Hi Becs!  Yep, thank goodness for aircon indeed.  Day-to-day life is fine, it's just when you want to spend any length of time outdoors that it gets a bit draining.  Oh, and Ramadan's just started so that brings its own fun and games to get used to!  Really good to see you making positive progress.  Just remember, little steps and all that...

Hi Kiwi!  I hope you continue to make good progress too.  Definitely sounds like the right thing to do to ditch the orthotics.

AA, sounds like you definitely need a holiday 

So I managed my longest run today since VLM - 45 mins on TM, woo hoo!!  All fine, took it ridiculously slow at 9.5kph, but I'm just trying to build up slowly.  Felt stupidly easy but I know I'm doing the right thing in not rushing.  It's all about time on my feet right now.  I then followed that up by killing an extreme spin session so that at least made me feel like I'd done a workout 

13/07/2013 at 18:52

Chickadee - fab tempo run. Very speedy.

Spoons - well done on the 10 mile race

Barry - nice 20 miler. You are back.

Speed Sheep - welcome back. Good to see you making progress.

Shildon / Minni - good luck on coastal race

AA - enjoy your holiday

kfc - good luck on the tri. Sounds fabulous.

I had a poor run at parkrun today with my time about a minute slower than usual. Legs didn't want to work. I think a few days rest is in order.

Edited: 13/07/2013 at 18:55
13/07/2013 at 19:20

Minni - it's black with yellow and red down the side. I think there could be a few people In the sea after or en route.

SS- a good break is always a benefit after a really hard schedule.

Col- you get bad races from time to time. I used to expect results every race it doesnt always happen and temps won't have helped.

Edited: 13/07/2013 at 19:21
13/07/2013 at 22:39

SS -  Knee is fine thanks, I think it's Oompa with the bad knee, I had a calf issue but that is OK now fingers crossed.. Might see you in Paris it will be my standby spring mara.

Col - You have been racing a lot and racing well but can't have good ones every time.

Shildon - Thanks but mine was a 20, must have been the way I wrote my post.  Good luck to you  and Minni for tomorrow, I had a flying trip to Blackpool today and it felt a bit cooler up north.

Edited: 13/07/2013 at 22:39
14/07/2013 at 08:29

Shildon & Minni - Good Luck for today

Bunked off swim training Friday - choice between sitting in the garden in the sun or  training with the triathletes - the garden won but only this once!

Sluggish 6.6miles this morning as tired from visit to Blackpool yesterday with OH & youngest! Definitely warmer in the south.

14/07/2013 at 11:59

Good luck shild and minni today. 

13.6 miles early this morning. A slow 8:47 pace but it was already boiling at 7:30. 

14/07/2013 at 17:29

Hey Shild how did you do? 

I had a bit of a shocker time wise, 1:54 which is about 6 minutes down on the last time I did it.  I enjoyed it and I didn't find it hard but I just didn't have any speed in me.  It wasn't too hot - a sea fret kept the sun off for most of it. I carried an iced electrolyte drink that I didn't need and also two gels that I didn't bother to take.  So basically a good training run over beach, trail and road!

14/07/2013 at 17:58

Hi Minni I was looking for you at the end but it was quite busy. I was stood with carrots team. So the race finish time 1.42.50. I enjoyed it out there today. Did not plan on going flat out as the course is quite challenging with sand, cobbles etc. but did have to work at it in places on the beach especially, once back on the trails and roads I was much happier. Good day out we stopped off for Sunday lunch on the way back as well. You should be happy with that still Minni it's a tough course ideal for training work. Well done.

Edited: 14/07/2013 at 18:01
14/07/2013 at 18:06

Well done shil. That's a great time and somewhere close to where I would have wanted to be if I was fulLy fit.  I'm not disappointed with my time - this is all about building back up.

14/07/2013 at 18:15

Thanks Minni. Those runs are certainly ideal for building strength and stamina. Some good 10k s coming up locally as well.

14/07/2013 at 18:20

Shil - some of those bits on the beach were hard today.  There seemed to be more water about too.  My shoes were squeching all the way!  I did look out for you but there were so many people.  I saw the Crook posse on the beach.   I need to focus on the GNR but I'll probably do Morpeth 10k.  You up for that?

Results are up HERE.  

Do you run with Crook too?

Edited: 14/07/2013 at 18:21
14/07/2013 at 18:44

Minni I don't run with crook but am going to join them soon. I travelled up with some of them and my number was from a friend at crook as I missed the deadline so ran as an alias. Not sure about Morpeth as there are lots of races I am trying to fit in over the next 3 months. Is it fast and flat? Although this is Morpeth so probably not. I forgot to take spare shoes today so travelled home with wet feet. The water was bad in places

Edited: 14/07/2013 at 18:48
15/07/2013 at 01:27

Hi from Vancouver airport!!  Killing time and trying to catch up since I wouldn't pay the extortionate fee for the cruise ship wi-fi. 

We have survived two trips in a 2-person sea kayak [close run thing!] seen a pod of killer whales and had a whale pop up 100 yds from our kayak.  Got to within 10 feet of three bald eagles hunting and then eating the kill, still on a kayak.  You wouldn't get me on a cruise ship again but the wildlife made it just about worthwhile and I have tried treadmill running  and fixed biking .  Couldn't hope with the jogging track - 14 laps for one mile!

Will read back and get back in the swing again

2old: my achilles aches a bit even after very limited treadmill running

15/07/2013 at 11:55

Alright all - ran my 10K yesterday in what felt like Badwater conditions. Clocked 43:55 on my Garmin although the official chip time now has me as 43:50. A slight positive split, but under a minute, so I suppose that is ok considering the conditions. Had a completely numb right foot for the last 2km, which was a little unpleasant. Not quite sure if it was heat related - maybe my feet swelled up and made my laces too tight?

I have decided to do my first tri in October - Bedford sprint. Quite excited actually - always wanted to give tri a go as I am a reasonable cyclist. 

Low-key club race on Wednesday and then no races booked until September - I think I need the break.

Minni & Shildon - the race on the beach did look proper lovely!

Edited: 15/07/2013 at 11:56
15/07/2013 at 12:23

Hi - got to admit I've barely read back

Well done on the race Minni

I've been camping with 3 x 9 year olds in boiling hot conditions

Did a 14 miler yesterday evening and loved it.

15/07/2013 at 13:27

2old Punched in the body, jaw and head whilst swimming? This is meant to be fun?  I agree with o4s about treadmills, they jar my achilles too.

AA great cycling from you.

chic, where did that super speedy tempo come from?

Speed Sheep & becsa we have missed you both.

Barry, excellent 20 mile run.

Minni Shildon Spoons and Ant good racing by you all at assorted distances. Col a few days rest needed?

Lyke Wake 42 mile ultra Osmotherley to Ravenscar safely completed in just over 9hrs., warm day, I expected about 3500ft of up mostly in the first 18-20 miles..and found it was just under 5000 ft, much much harder with nasty hills throughout including a horrible one at 37/38 miles.. I swore very loudly seeing this one. Fabulous scenery though, and tons of fun. Race report later.

15/07/2013 at 15:41

Hello everyone, sorry for not popping in, with the 5k, Test Match, and cricket myself on Saturday haven’t had a moment!

Chick – that’s a cracking LT session. The first one is always one to get out of the way but you've absolutely smashed it!

Minni & Shildon – sounds like a lovely, if hard, run on the beach. Well done to you both.

AA – are you beginning to look forward to your tri yet or still in the trepidation phase?

Barry – 20M in that heat, are you mad!? Well done!

Well done Ant, can’t sniff at a 43.55 in that heat. It was bad enough playing cricket, so running in it would have been hell, even more so with only one foot!

Look forward to your race report FRC, cracking effort given how hot it has been and with hills-a-plenty.  

I had an interesting 5k on Thursday. Was really struggling to breathe and chest was killing, but decided I’d go hell for leather to get it over with as soon as possible. Given how hot and how packed it was that was a bit of a mistake but I guess trying to get 6,000 people round a 5k that’s inevitable.

Anyway, excuses over, I did 20.43 which I was quite happy with as it was 5 seconds quicker than last year. It’s not a PB course, as it’s lots of twists and turns, and packed, and had a great night out afterwards so can’t complain. Splits (in miles) were 6.29, 6.26, 6.52 so I think I paid for not being able to run for 9 days previously. Going on my training up to that point, I think I could just about have hit 20 but body was nowhere near 100%. Hey ho, all speed in the bank for HM training which needs to start.

Test Match was absolutely amazing too (it was after the first two day’s too Simon  ) – a cracking day out. I then tried to play myself on Saturday where I sweat my bodyweight in booze, but we won and I scored a few so all good there too.  

15/07/2013 at 18:00

O4S - Enjoy the rest of your wildlife trip, with no proper cycling.

Red- The cricket looked nearly exciting this time. Mind you, I'm watching a bike race that takes 3 weeks to get a result lol.

15/07/2013 at 21:09

Sounds like you're ready for a week off AA. 

Well ran on Sunday Shildon, good to hear you're coming over to the yellow side!

Hope the rest helps Col, you have done a lot of races lately.

Don't have to race them all Minni, it's nice to enjoy a race!

Must have been a small running track on the boat O4S! Imagine how tight your IT band would be after a few miles on that.  Well done getting some training in on holiday, the kayaking sounds fun

Well done getting another 10K in Ant, how far is the club race on Wednesday?

Must have been very warm for your ultra FRC, will look forward to the race report.

Decent 5K Red, sounds like you had a good weekend all round!

Nothing exciting from me, long run (17M) done early on Sunday before the sunshine burned the cloud cover away.  It was still warm, I was pleased I'd worn the camelbak - it was empty by the time I got home.  Rewind to spring marathon training when I did all my long runs without a drink!  Got a 5K race on Wednesday night which will be lovely if it's still hot

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.