RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

31,801 to 31,820 of 37,465 messages
05/09/2013 at 18:34

2old - Was potentially planning the Parkrun as part of a longer one but have been in denial of a sore left calf for the past week.  Nothing serious and can run on it but getting very tight, been icing regularly but if not feeling right on Saturday will put my sensible head on, bigger picture and all that.

Becs - Congrats. If I don't race it I will support OH, I don't think pacing would work out too well, could see a domestic breaking out, so I will be giving "gentle" encouragement from the sidelines.

05/09/2013 at 19:05

Becs- Congrats 

i had planned to cycle into work tomorrow, but the forecast isn't too good so decided to swop it to today, BAD decision . I was about 22miles into my ride, when I came across some roadworks that had closed the road, except for a temporary footpath round the side of it, It was fenced off, unlit and still pitch black. Well 1 minute I was cycling along, the next I was on the deck in agony. So after picking myself up and steming the blood from my nose and cheek, I saw the reason. Some scally kids had tied some rope across the path at about 5ft. I caught it across the bridge of my nose, luckily I was wearing some clear cycling glasses, so no damage to my eyes, but if had caught me across the throat, it could of been a lot worse. Anyway apart from the facial cuts/bruises the main damage is to my right shoulder where I hit the deck. Luckily not broken or dislocated, but badly displaced. I phoned International Rescue (my OH ), to come and get my, and took my to A&E back home, I didn't fancy leaving my bike where I was if I called 999.  So even less running, cycling for a few weeks, and no work cus I can't drive, with my arm in a sling. Will I go mad watching daytime tv, probably .

Edited: 05/09/2013 at 19:21
05/09/2013 at 20:05

Simon - Oh no! Bet you'd like to catch the little shites?  As you said though, it could've been much worse and look on the bright side... We can compare notes re daytime tv!!!

Carrot - It is a private hospital that I've somehow managed to get into on the NHS... Super blagger or what!  With regards to posting in the recovery room... As I've said to the OH many times... You have to get your priorities straight!

05/09/2013 at 20:23

Carrot I had a lovely day off thank you - spent it with my two daughters visiting my parents in home county of Warwickshire.

Becs Lovely news & Many congratulations & I hope you both will be very happy!

2old Decent lunchtime run - now the mornings are darker will start considering a run at lunchtime rather than after work!

Oompa  good luck with the recovery - tea & toast was what they gave me after my op & home after two hours to recover from the general anaesthetic!

AA I wouldn't worry too much as you will do well at the weekend. Its the Swindon parkrun & i'm a bit nervous about it to be honest!

simon62w That's awful & dangerous. But as you say it could have been a lot worse. Daytime TV is not too bad & it's amazing how you start to get into the most ridiculous programmes!

Ran 4 miles this morning with one at 9mm so really pleased with that. No running tomorrow as back to swimming training. Parkrun Saturday, not sure if I would want Barry pacing me as wouldn't want to hold him back but i'm sure if he doesn't run I will hear him from the sidelines!

05/09/2013 at 20:41

Simon - you poor thing. That sounds awful. Hope you make a speedy recovery. 

Ant - hope you feel better for the race. 

Barry - take care of that calf. Compression socks, ice, rolling etc. a couple of days rest will do you more good that harm.   

Pinklady - what's the target for the weekend? 

Carrot - are you racing the 10k? 

AA - foot still feeling ok? 

05/09/2013 at 20:41

Jeez Simon - that is so unbelievably out of order. Hope you heal up ok. 

Barry - arrgh, cotton wool time. No running at all is probably best. You have got so much training in the bank already

05/09/2013 at 20:50

Pinklady - So which are your favs, please not Jeremy Kyle. I'll be tuning into Jessica at Cabot cove daily. Oh shit I do that already 

Edited: 05/09/2013 at 20:52
05/09/2013 at 21:44

Simon- The toerags!!!! Cycling is dangerous enough without that. Pity you didn't report it to the police as you might have been able to make a CICA claim for those nasty injuries. Anyway at least you can enjoy daytime tv. Hollywood wives is the favourite in our house. It wasn't in Kirkby? I ran down a similar road there tonight and after answering a kids polite question of how far I'd run so far- 10.5 miles he shouted 'you fookin liar" charming 

Ant- any of your swimming in open water? Our local ones have closed now ...pity it's not as cold as it was in April when our started but it is getting darker in the evening. I found I got bored with swimming after about a mile unless I was doing intervals in a group session

Pink - nice run ...are you swimming for tris too?

Minni- whats your plan from now until GNR?

Barry - very wise to be cautious. Wasnt it your calf that gave you problems in the past?

decided to get out and try a LSR tonight as conditions seemed perfect. No set plan but just kept going for 20miles . It got a bit untidy at the end but overall 8.07mm average. Legs and achilles feel battered as they should ....first 20 since March 

Edited: 05/09/2013 at 21:49
05/09/2013 at 23:01

2old - No, not scoose scallys, Ashton in Makerfield scallys lol

05/09/2013 at 23:21

Simon, what a nightmare. There are some stupid dangerous idiots in the world and it makes me cross when they take out other people. Hope you recover quickly. 

05/09/2013 at 23:51

Simon- it's not safe to go out on any of the roads round here 

06/09/2013 at 08:39

Simon - wah at a nightmare. Hope you recover soon

pink - good luck tomorrow. 

Barry - don't take any risks. 

Minni - is GNR 2 weeks on Sunday? Are you tapering for it?

i had physio on my foot again yesterday. It's actually feeling the best it's felt for a while. I'm doing all the right things.i think I'm going to have to cut down on the anti inflammatorys tomorrow though as they're beginning to affect my tummy  Fingers crossed it will hold out. Just hope the rain isn't too heavy as predicted today As I don't know what effect that will have on the river on Sunday! 

Dubai Dave    pirate
06/09/2013 at 09:49

AA: relax! What time are you aiming to register, rack?

Simon: Bloody hell, glad i live in rural Wilts / Dorset, not many toe rags around here. Enjoy the TV

Woke up to find out that a friend and Triatlete was killed whilst out riding his bike in Dubai this morning, not a good start to the day.

went to speedwork last night, tough stuff but you feel so good at the end! Still havent dug out tri gear or readied bike, better get on with it!

06/09/2013 at 09:51

2old - yeah I've done 1 open water swim in London, our lake is open till October I think - part of the Broxbourne white water center for the Olympics - I think it may even be floodlit. I haven't done enough swimming yet for it to get boring! I am just enjoying gliding along the water.

Simon - I agree with 2old, you should definitely report it to the police because something like that could actually kill someone. 

Edited: 06/09/2013 at 09:51
06/09/2013 at 10:02

Simon - unbelieveable.  How unlucky.  Thats gonna be sore, hope it heals fast.

DD/AA - I suspect you'll both be well under 6.30 - hope you both have a great race.  Its way easier than a marathon AA - dont panic, you'll breeze it.

Bro - its coming back - nice run.  Hope you have a good run in the half.

Becs - congratulations!  Cant believe the knee frustrations continue.  May be good to share notes with oompa?

Oompa - good to hear round 1 went well.  Still chance for an unusual body graft in round 2...

Barry - cotton wool for that calf - you are going way too well to risk anything right now!  You could volunteer instead?

Pink lady - you are definitely due a race - and parkrun is a great place to start.  You'll have a stormer the way you are improving right now

Club league race last night, 3M, last one in the series.  Felt a bit CBA and didnt have the best run, but counted as 3rd lady home from my club so hope we placed in the team comp.  Got back in time to see Wawrinka play a stormer - looks like Stan vs Nole will keep me up late on Saturday.

Adding to the racers, I've got a low key sprint tri on Sunday.  The swim is around a carp filled castle moat, which I'm disproportionately excited about.  

06/09/2013 at 10:03

AA-as per DD-relax! Glad foot improving.Definately cut out the anti inflammatories starting  from now.

DD-still a stray sheep/cow/badger/rabbit can be just as dangerousif you are in the country. Sorry to hear about you Dubai mate-my OH hates me cycling for that reason but I guess it wont stop you.Looks like youll be in speedos on Sunday

Ant-sounds an impressive swim center. 'Enjoying gliding'..ha ha.. Ive never glided more of a random thrash.

06/09/2013 at 12:49

Simon -  Nightmare, very sad what some people will do.  There was a story in the local paper last year about someone getting caught in the face while cycling by some wire -  nasty. Careful with the daytime tv, Pinklady got hooked and has Jeremy Kyle on series link.

2old - Decent comeback long run. Left calf this time and around the back so not my long term inner right calf issue coming back - thankfully.  Feeling a lot better today.

AA - Positive news.

06/09/2013 at 14:19

AA - Can i have your leftover anti-imflammitory pills... I'm going through them at a rate of knots!

DD - Sorry to hear about your friend.

2old - Storming 20 sir. Weren't you tempted to drag the bisbelieving little scally along with you for the final 9.5???

Not been a good day in the Oompa household as child no. 1 is at home (why do they get so much time off in 6th form?) and is studying really hard... Criminal Minds, C.S.I, Numbers, Lie To Me etc... My Jeremy Kyle & Loose Women morning plans have been thwarted, harumph!!!

The wrappings come off the knee this evening and i'm not looking forward to it. At the moment it doesn't feel like it's mine, and that someone else is controlling it.

It won't turn corners with the rest of my body, it won't bend, and sometimes it flatly refuses to move from the floor and i'm convinced that someone has put Uhu on the floorboards!!! 

06/09/2013 at 14:50

Barry - that's good news it's a different calf so now hoping it fixes quickly as it seems to be doing 

Oomp- there was a cluster of them and even tho the average age must have been 9 I thought it better to put my foot down and get the hell out of there . Sixth formers need lots of sleep... So why haven't mine improved on their 20s? Looks like you will have to limit yourself to running in straight lines. 

06/09/2013 at 15:11

Police report done, and going to police station tomorrow, apparently they've had many  incidents reported. 

2old - Thanks for the heads up Re CICA

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.