RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

32,021 to 32,040 of 36,193 messages
14/09/2013 at 17:26

Quick check in to wish all racers and GNR'ers good luck for tomorrow. Look forward to watching it on t'box... Don't be shit! 

Knee however is still shit so don't want to talk about it! 

Go Team Minni

14/09/2013 at 17:27

Am I correct in thinking there are 5 class runners in the GNR tomorrow ? Mo,Haile, Bekele, Minni and Carrot? have a great one !!!

14/09/2013 at 17:32

Ant - do you all swim separately, then the same with the bike and run?  I've done one like that before and its a great race format - you can really hammer each leg cos you get loads of rest in between.  Nice to race in a team too.

Good to see your mojo back DD

AA - no wonder - you've a lot to recover from!

Freemers - yeah you could, its amazing how much faster you can push compared to a 1600 rep.  

Carrot - its a measured flat loop in the park - easier to manage with 70 racers than on a track I guess.  Hurt like my old sport rowing used to, tasting blood by the end.  Its so long since I've raced that intensity - I've forgotten how much i enjoy it  

Great improvement pink lady!

Still not bad Daren, getting back in the YKW habit should find you a few more seconds.

Easy 6 planned for later, and a hilly trail half race for me on the south downs tomorrow, so Carrot and Minni will have to make sure they make it into the GNR highlights show.  Spoons - enjoy the early start!

14/09/2013 at 18:00

good luck to minni and carrot. The plaits v the ponytail?! Will be watching on telly. 

Pink and Daren well done in the ykws!

DD, 2old - another day if rest for me too.

Still got headache and dizzy. PF isn't good but I'm resting it now for a good few weeks. 

14/09/2013 at 18:40

great ykw pinklady and daren

good luck tomorrow kfc.

carrot and Minni - enjoy running with the slebs

Oh dear oomps

14/09/2013 at 19:32

Tried a 3 mile trot today to see how I felt   Not ready to do a HM tomorrow that's for sure, but reckon it is worth plodding round in about 2 hours to collect the rather nice technical shirt.........

Decided not only to bin the garmin but also my watch and just get round, trying to beat the rain.........

Good luck everyone else!  Bear in mind I plan on being shit on  behalf of the whole forum so no need for anyone else to do the same.

14/09/2013 at 19:50

Minni - Calf feels OK, but it felt OK before I ran on it Thursday so going to give a couple of more days no running, think it will be a matter of  just ticking over  before Berlin to get there niggle free. Good luck for tomorrow - have a good one.

Carrot - 3:09 would be wonderful, but I'm aware of how many times I have blown up in the last 3 after setting off too quick, probably aim for 1:35 at halfway. Good luck for tomorrow - hope the weather is on your side.

Daren - Good YKW time(same as mine from last week) know what you mean about getting a quicker 5K to get a sub 40 10K, but I went sub 40 for 10K a few years ago off a 19:35 5K time so it is doable

kfc - Good luck for your hilly one

O4S - Enjoy being shit tomorrow.

Supported Pinklady at the Parkrun this morning, well done, felt a bit jealous watching all the runners but bigger picture and all that.

14/09/2013 at 20:48

Well done on the new PB Pinklady! Your coach must know his stuff

Nice running from you too Daren.  House moves are the worst.

2old it's ridiculous, all this fuss and publicity over Mo, Haile and Bekele.  They seem to have all but forgot about Minni and me!

Enjoy the rest AA, hope you're not coming down with something.

Hope the half goes well tomorrow kfc. I'm still not tempted to do a mile time trial!

O4S you are anything but shit.  Have fun tomorrow running garmin free!

The ponytail is going to end up very wet tomorrow....

15/09/2013 at 12:58

The suspense is killing me... How did they do???

15/09/2013 at 13:33

well, Bekeke won in 1:00:09

15/09/2013 at 13:57

Sorry to let the side down - I was only moderately shit after all

Report to follow but without either Garmin or watch to give actual time I reckon 1.47.xx and actually 2 minutes faster than last year ( admittedly on that occasion I was running with three sets of stitches just 3 days after the operations). BA managed 1.54.xx and was pleased to get under 2 hours so soon after the cycle trip

Will check back in later with full details

15/09/2013 at 14:21

O4S - Fantastic result for you and BA after all that cycling.????

Chick - I was screaming at Mo to catch him but in the end he was a bit shit!

15/09/2013 at 14:43

Unsurprisingly not shit O4S - nice race!

Hope the GNR-ers had a good race, cant wait to hear about it.

Good race for me at Firle half marathon - 1:37:09 on a hilly trail course.  

A couple of miles in I could see I was 3rd lady - the 1st was off and nowhere to be seen, 2nd about 20s ahead and gradually pulling away.  First 6 miles undulating along farm tracks, then a steep climb to the top of the downs in mile 7 and 8.  Lots of people walking, including the 2nd lady and I made up a 40s gap on her.  She spotted me and was off again, opening up a 20s gap over the next few miles.  Undulating along the ridgeline for the next 2 miles with a stiff cross/head wind before leaving my brain at the top and screaming downhill for mile 11.  Stormed past the 2nd lady and lots of guys, and knowing she'd been moving faster than me on the flats I pushed hard on the last couple of miles to maintain my gap.  With half a mile to go a marshall told me the 1st lady was just in sight - I kept pushing but couldn't make up the gap and finished 30s down on her.

6.58; 7.20; 7.19; 7.45; 7.08; 7.09; 9.33 (up!); 8.52 (up!); 8.13; 7.32; 5.58 (down - eek!); 6.40; 6.44

Happy with that - my second fastest half ever, only a minute off my pb and another tacky trophy (but no booze - boo).  Apart from the last 2 miles when I was pushing hard it felt comfortable too.  

On my way back I saw a poster for an 'Oompah night' - anything we should know oompa?

15/09/2013 at 15:05

KFC - Congrats on being 2nd lady and only just down on your pb on a hilly track. 

As for the Oompa night, I thought that as I can't walk, big band was the way forward?!

15/09/2013 at 15:28

What is going on?

First Mo, than Johnny... Gonna have to have a word with EA with regards to them adopting the Team Minni DBS mantra before all future races!

Dubai Dave    pirate
15/09/2013 at 17:21

O4S : not shit at all

kfc: your on fire at the mo, nice race

trotted 11 miles at 8-45 min/miles AM, 8 mile sponsored walk with kids in the pouring rain this afternoon.

15/09/2013 at 17:37

ohh, no GNR reports yet, caught the end of the elite women + men's races before heading out to lunch, i too was shouting at the tv, did look like Mo was going to catch him, but not quite!

O4S - how the hell do you do it?! that is an awesome run, well done!

kfc - you are smoking at the moment, congrats on the 2nd lady placing, nice one!!

15/09/2013 at 18:16

Bristol HM report:

I was allocated a first wave start (faster runners) while BA got the second wave - which given I had predicted the same finish time for both of us was a tad annoying. I was allowed to wait 30 minutes but he couldn't go early, so somehow he managed to persuade me to wait and start with him as hanging around in the wet at the finish wouldn't be great. This was a bit frustrating as all the people I would normally run with set off at 9.30. The upside was that I was right at the front of the 10.00am start so wasn't really held up and I didn't get dragged along too fast by other club members.

First half is an out and back on a dual carriageway so the running is clear and although there was a bit of a headwind on the return bit I managed to hit nearly 8mm exactly to the half way point - the only clock on route and I was without garmin or watch. The second half of the race is hillier and very twisty as it winds through the centre of Bristol and by now my legs were feeling the full effect of the cycling holiday

15/09/2013 at 18:18

O4S -  Good racing from you and BA, well done.

kfc -  Impressive racing, that's a great time on a hard course. congrats on the podium place.

15/09/2013 at 18:27

Gritting my teeth and trying to ignore the growing blood blister underneath tThe ball of my foot and the inevitable loss of a toenail which had ( pointlessly) decided to regrow while we were cycling, I carried on knowing that my speed was dropping off but unable to care very much. However I was spurred on by the fact that I was overtaking the slower runners off the first wave although it was infuriating to keep seeing the finish and then be diverted off for another strange loop to arrive back about 2 feet from where you had started - the sort of time when knowing the city well is a distinct disadvantage!  Finally they ran out of diversions and suddenly the finish was genuinely in sight. Not exactly a sprint but by now I was hoping to nudge under 1.50 so shambled a little faster to cross the line in just under 1.48.  Second LV 60 but the prize list stops at LV55  the winner was an ex-international and obviously I didn't want to upset her by beating her! (She was first W60 at VLM)

Even BA is quite pleased and I think with another easy week we should be ready to get back to proper training - just maybe not tomorrow 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.