RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

32,101 to 32,120 of 36,987 messages
18/09/2013 at 06:18

Barry - my calf hurt last week but on Sunday didn't feel it at all. Stay positive. 

Chick - how is your back? 

18/09/2013 at 06:25

He's not very happy Minni

18/09/2013 at 07:59

never had pouches in a race but they sound crap. German races usually provide cups. they suck too ... gimme bottles any day!

i still cannot bend forward at all ... but getting up and sitting down hurts less than before. Hope i'm ob the road to recovery.

18/09/2013 at 09:20

04S-maybe he will take you out.....drive 50 miles and tell you to run home

Barry-have you got time for a sports massage?

Chick-clearly best avoiding climbing as a recovery sport..does anyone here have a complete break from training in one form or another apart from injury? Maybe thats where Im going wrong

Mangaged 22k of spinning last night. Not sure I will fit anything in today.

18/09/2013 at 09:46

2old:  I wish I thought you were joking - I can see you have been talking to him again. BTW I have taken complete breaks from running on many occasions, up to 7 or 8 weeks, but always because I am cycling.  Have never actually stopped doing anything for any length of time except through injury.  I find a longish break from running over the summer seems to help me keep injury free and stops me getting too bored with the training the rest of the time.  Absence makes the heart etc......

18/09/2013 at 10:39

I don't mind cups. I'm really good at throwing water across my chest and missing my mouth completely.....

18/09/2013 at 11:49

2old - I took two full weeks off after the marathon this year and have had my best summer of training yet.

Pouches sound really duff hope they don't catch on. 

Did an open water swim last night. Phew it was cold.

18/09/2013 at 16:19

O4S- so that's your secret ! 6-8weeks cycling the toughest mountains in France is one way to rest I suppose 

Ant- bet it was cold but still some way to go to the 12c of April. When does your place shut ? 

Dubai Dave    pirate
18/09/2013 at 16:59

2Old: i too only stop running if im cycling! I do sometimes wonder if a two week sabatical from all things aerobic would be benefical but of course i can never bring myself to do it.

Barry: fingers crossed

Chick: sounds more hopeful

O4S: I hope BA doesnt read these pages as 2Old's idea might just be too tempting.

Comrades had water and energy drinks in pouches but their not resealable, bite, squeeze, drop they work well other than the water stations quickly ressemble a sea of slippery plastic.

have spent a hour in the phone to Garmin after my Edge 800 died, its under a 2 year warranty in the UAE but only 1 year here so have had to pay for an exchange, but hey its a lot cheaper than buying a new one.

Two hours on the bike today taking in some of Dorsets, Somersets & Wiltshires finest hills including the wonderous 30% pitch up to Alfreds Tower, which despite my hatred of it seems to have a magnetic attraction.

18/09/2013 at 17:21

DD- I've worked out that I only stop running when I'm injured skiing swimming cycling- these last  two when injured- and sometimes when hungover. Bet you can't live without the Garmin Nor the challenge of a steep hill. 

18/09/2013 at 19:04

Hi everyone - I'm back. Had to be there at 7am, but arrived early 6.45. Unfortunately I was last down, so op wasn't til 3.15, so over 8hrs of waiting, and came out at 5pm. So I had to stay in over night, just to be on the safe side. I had some nerve blocker in the shoulder, which was great, as its only just worn off now, 24hrs later, so pain starting now, so time to pop some pills. They attached a brass strap over the end of the collarbone, to hold it down, attached to the shoulder by some pins, and attached some ligaments, but now 5wks of immobility, before physio. So could be Dec before any normal activities. Any jokes please to keep me sane. 

2old - Luckily the ward was quiet, and best bit, was getting a nurse to make me tea and toast at 1am, when I couldn't sleep.

Edited: 18/09/2013 at 19:11
18/09/2013 at 19:26

2old - was in 2 minds about a sports massage but decided I'd regret it if I did n't so managed to get one for tomorrow evening.

Simon -  Sounds like a dull day waiting for the op, you must have been starving.  Are the pins a permanent fixture?  Soon be Xmas and you will be back on it.

Minni - Trying to stay positive but under 10 miles in the last 2 weeks is not great final prep, but will be in a lot better shape than I was for VLM.

18/09/2013 at 20:06

Barry - As far as I'm aware the metal work is staying in. But appointment with surgeon on 3oct. Yes last food/drink I could have was 11pm the night before, so I was 'hank' all day.

18/09/2013 at 20:26

Simon - glad you've made it through.   Are you in pain?

Barry - the only think you're going to lose is confidence, if you allow that to happen.  Think of the enforced rest as a good thing that is making your body stronger.

2old - I think you asked about the downhill in the GNR?  It is quite steep and you definitely feel it in your quads but its not long enough to do any damage. 

My GNR position was 60th and 10th in my category!

18/09/2013 at 20:27

At least you are now on the road to recovery Simon, rather than waiting for the op. How about the 2012 Olympics DVDs - 15 hours in total and I'm sure you can pick the set up cheap by now?

Hope the pain eases soon. I come out of all my ops thinking 'that wasn't so bad' and then the pain kicks in  just before I go to bed 

DD: if BA ever finds this forum and bothers to read it, I will be an ex-wife ( which would solve the anniversary issue ).  Luckily he is too scared of the ladies he has met so far to venture further into our murky cyber-world 

18/09/2013 at 20:28

Simon - fingers crossed its all gone well for you. 

Im still out of sorts too. This injury/sick bench is rather full this week...

18/09/2013 at 20:29

O4S.. I'm not made of wood 

18/09/2013 at 20:36

Minni - Yes, pills aren't helping, so I'll bring out the big guns later 'oromorph', liquid morphine. Luckily with my OH's back problem, she is prescribed it, so fridge ready stocked with it. 

18/09/2013 at 21:55

Simon - good that the op went well - will you be able to cope with 5 weeks of Neighbours? My pins were taken out - although 1 did actually fall out & I think it was hoovered up in the house, but they never put a replacement in!

AA I'm sure you will start to feel better soon - it's good that you have had a rest though.

Carrot My coach isn't too bad

Took advantage of the afternoon off work today & went for an 8 mile run & despite the wind it went well. I have entered my first race - a 10k to see how I will get on.

I'm hoping the sports massage will help Barry tomorrow  

Edited: 18/09/2013 at 21:56
18/09/2013 at 21:56

Minni- wonder why Mo didn't go for it down that hill then....seems you did. 

Simon- you really were nobbled by those chavs. Swift recovery mate. Think O4S really wants to offer you her home videos of her mountain cycling this summer Looks like you'll have fun at airport security in the future. 

Barry - good decision...you'll nail Berlin

AA- my bit of the bench is worn out and it is looking in need of extending

O4S- I have the same fear as BA 

apart from eccentric stretches nowt training today...unlikely tomorrow too 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.