RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

32,261 to 32,280 of 37,588 messages
30/09/2013 at 08:31

AA: I know it sounds like bad news, but at least a stress fracture will heal and there is no reason for it to return - a bad bout of PF can just go on and on. Either way hope the consultant can pin it down and get you started on the road to recovery.

30/09/2013 at 08:48

Poor you, Simon   must be hell to be completely immobilised. How many more weeks?

Spoons: be careful - that GF of yours will go sub 3:30 before you know it

Great run, carrot - glad you are de-lurgified now

30/09/2013 at 08:50

xpost AA:     poor you    hope they can find out exactly what it is and if it's a stress fracture you should get over it with a few weeks of rest. Fingers crossed for you.

30/09/2013 at 10:48

AA - Good luck with the consultant for a prognosis.

Chick - Seeing the surgeon on Thursday, for removal of stitches, but still another 3wks  of immobility before any physio.

30/09/2013 at 11:11

AA - fingers crossed you find the cause and the cure. A stress fracture at least is treatable with rest.

Simon - that is really an epic injury, speed to recovery. The GB team really was sh!t, Wiggo just doesn't have the bottle to do any descending in the wet it appears. Mind you did you see Uran's cartwheeling crash - he was lucky that wasn't over an edge!

Barry - hope you have recovered from Berlin 

Minni - Great result - fantastic backdrop for the presentation as well But the sub 90 remains elusive - do you think you might have gone out too quickly - that is surely faster than 10K PB pace? 

kfc - yeah +1 with carrot - you just need to rest up now for the mara

Spoons - at least it was sub-4! 

O4S - sounds like a glamorous course Congrats on the county bragging rights

Shildon - at least you have kept at least some of your powder dry

Carrot - that looks like an excellently executed LR. Nicely set up for the Dam

2old - yeah I am looking at some offroad duathlons - liking the look of the grizedale duathlon in April.

30/09/2013 at 11:50

Simon- sorry to see you're still in pain hopefully you'll be back on your bike soon. 

AA- bit worrying about your foot. Have you tried total rest at all ? Being injured is such a drag. Hope its nothing serious 

Spoons - good coaching of your GF there. you've got a solid base for the next round of marathon training

shild- our bodies have a way of telling us to stop as I know too well at the moment. You've reminded me I have a Coniston place from the postponed march race. Isn't it on the Saturday. I know I won't be doing it though

O4S - really chuffed for you. All the summer cycling is paying off. Podiums and no injury - perfect 

Carrot- aren't you now tapering for Amsterdam ? What do they put in their energy gels?

Ant- once got lost in Grizedale and had to be shown how to get out by two Japanese tourists on mountain bikes 

KFC- nothing wrong with that Tri- decent run too after all that went before. I agree do some MP runs- not too long- and you're in with a good shout for your target time

minni- your last few HMs have been similar times- did that happen before you dropped to 91/92 mins? It's what happened with me then the time dropped again unexpectedly. It will happen and in the meantime bask in the glory of your bling and fast times anyway 

Chick- how's the back today ?

barry-????

Fleetwood Mac were amazing and worth waiting to see them nearly 35 years.. Gulp!

have been limping since my run yestrday so pretty down about it. Had hoped to do our local 10k on Sunday - no chance -. Seeing Physio tomorrow but may need referral to a  psychiatrist if things ccarry on like this

Edited: 30/09/2013 at 11:52
30/09/2013 at 11:55

hm - bits of my previous post seem to have disappeared ...

I'm sure I congratulated KFC on another tri and said chill now. I'm sure the tris will stand you in good stead for the marathon. FWIW - I started mine at 3:20ish pace, couldn't hold it, dropped down to 8mm at some point and still got a 3:24. You never know - you may have a cracker of a day. Nothing ventured, nothing gained

30/09/2013 at 11:58

xpost 2old: sorry you are limping again   first time I drove into work again. Using the clutch hurts but with clenched teeth its ok. Back very stiff this morning, so no running but I will do a bit of shuffling when I get back home tonight.

30/09/2013 at 12:35

What has happened to Barry?! Come on...

AA, Simon, 2Old, Chick - sorry to hear about the injury woes. Wishing you all a speedy recovery.

Minni and O4S - congrats on your first places!

Spoons, well done on your marathon, and even more well done to your GF.

Shildon, sorry your HM didn't go to plan and your tri too kfc - still sounds like a decent performance to me.

Well, the house move went to plan on Friday, so been a busy weekend, but still managed to squeeze in a YKW at Ilford again on Saturday. 19:22 for 4th place out of 160 (and 1st over-30!) so pretty pleased with that, especially as I was knackered after moving on Friday and had to run all but the first k on my own, and feeling ready for a sub-40 attempt next weekend.

30/09/2013 at 12:57

Daren- cracking YKW - and a podium keeping up the high standards of this thread 

chick- thought you were driving with a crutch and then reread cluimprov getting there

30/09/2013 at 13:07

Daren:  I reckon I could manage a sub 40 YKW .  I am guessing I have missed the fact that you are doing a 10k next week.  Hope you enjoy the new house!

((( ))) to all on the injury bench

30/09/2013 at 13:18

AA -   but a stress fracture will heal.  Keep up the cross training and you'll be ready for marathon training.

Barry - where are you??????

Daren - great YKW!

Ant - did I go off too fast?   I think not.  My 10k pb pace is 6:53 but that was from April, a more recent 10k had me running at 7:08 pace.  But my HM 2 weeks ago was 6:58 pace.  This HM was flat compared to any of those three so I felt it was ok.  It certainly felt right at the time.  I just think the wind was too strong for me to run a faster pace against, especially over a couple of miles.  But its knocked my confidence again. I've entered another half at the end of Octber.  The work continues....   (there has never been much between my 10k and HM pace and sometimes I've set a 10k PB within a HM so then they have been the same!!)

30/09/2013 at 13:29

Minni - I was referring to the first 2 miles that you posted as 6:39 and 6:43. They will feel easy at the beginning of the race, but are both faster than your 10K PB pace. I am in a similar time boat to you - and for my sub 90 attempt in Nov, I think I will try and keep my first couple of miles at 6:50-6:55, even if that is below required target pace, it will hopefully allow me to pace the race better. Just a thought, like.

30/09/2013 at 13:38

yeah I know what you're saying but they were similar to the first few miles of the GNR where I finished a minute quicker. 

30/09/2013 at 14:28

Ant/ Minni- on the pace debate- when I did my HM earlier this month I did the early part of the run with a sub1.30 pacer but he was about 10-15 secs too fast and after the first 3 miles I let him go I but I reckon it took just a little bit too much out of me to make up so I missed the target by 7 secs. when it is finely balanced those early miles can make the difference. Interestingly my HM pace was only about 3 secs slower than the 10k a few weeks before that 

30/09/2013 at 14:52

2old - very interesting. I had a quick look back at the GNR reports and saw that Carrot said that she did a 7mm average for the first 3 miles and she smashed 1:30. All grist for the mill 

30/09/2013 at 15:37

Ant- maybe there's something in this-- are you going to put it to the test ? There's no doubting the temptation to get caught up in the surge at the  start. I tried to avoid it by going with the pacer but that did not work. However you probably then need to trust doing a negative split ...hmm. Might look back at some of my races 

30/09/2013 at 16:01

interesting indeed - the few HMs which I loved because I got massive PBs were all negative splits (something that I still have to replicate in a marathon...)

the best HM to date from April was a naked run as I'd killed my Garmin that morning so unfortunately no splits but I remember letting a faster group of girls go because I felt they were just a teensy bit too fast and I ended up running with a slightly slower group of guys until about half way. Then I reeled in a few of those girls that had gone off too fast . Felt strong all the way to the finish.

30/09/2013 at 16:13

Gutentag, tried to post from mobile but no good.  Been drowning sorrows/numbing pain at Oktoberfest with Pink.  Race did n't go to plan but really good weekend otherwise, will post race report tomorrow when back in uk.

30/09/2013 at 16:48

I have certainly reaped the benefit of running without a garmin recently - running by feel and not getting obsessed with pace seems to suit me and I thin yesterday was the first negative split I have ever achieved

Barry:  glad to hear you have been enjoying Oktoberfest - even if it isn't actually October yet!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.