RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

32,261 to 32,280 of 36,095 messages
29/09/2013 at 17:28
nice category win, minni and a fab time in windy conditions. great stuff.
29/09/2013 at 17:37
O4S- A champion amongst us , brilliantly well done.. Inspiring
Minni- a first place- great performance in less than easy conditions
Barry-?????
29/09/2013 at 17:41

Great placing Minni, sounds like really tough conditions, well done!

first run in 2 weeks here, just about over cold, 3  miles progressive with no coughing fits or creaking knees

29/09/2013 at 18:12
Minni - brilliant run in less than ideal conditions. Nice to get the bling too

O4S - yay champion

Looking forward to the rest of today's results.
29/09/2013 at 18:35

Race Report = Oldbury Power Station 10 [incorporating Avon County Championship]

Flat, fast but always windy along the Bristol channel - this year was better than some and the headwind was in the first half, rather than when you are failing at the end.  After beating my 40min target in the 5 mile race on Thursday night I wasn't sure how my legs would react to a 10 mile race today, so set myself an 'A' target of 80 mins and a 'B target of 85 mins if the wind was too bad. This is very much a club runners event and the standard is pretty high, I think only one person came in over 90 mins and she was a F70 from the organising club - the only F70 so guaranteed to win!

Set off conservatively at 7m 50secs per mile, although to be honest I wasn't wearing my garmin and am estimating this from the time at 5 miles, given the first half felt even paced and I heard a runner beside me say to her companion that they were doing 7.50 pace.  It felt very comfortable, even into the wind and I was steadily picking off people for the first 5 miles, having started well back.  Feeling good at 5 miles I decided to see if I could pick it up, but didn't look at the time again until the end - the average for the second half of the race was 7m40s per mile and again it felt reasonably steady, although I suspect miles /6/7/8 were faster than 9/10.  The race was now more strung out and there was not a lady in view so I set myself the target of picking off the next bloke and woring my way up the field - more to give me something to think about than for any other reason.

After 7 miles I had just about caught up with a bloke from a rival club, but every time I pulled up to his shoulder he put in a burst to throw me off.  His breathing sounded awful so [to put him out of his misery I waited for a straight section and accelerated past him, putting enough distance between us that he wouldn't be tempted to follow.  This was probably a mistake as the last two miles felt harder than the 8 previous.  Only one possible target ahead after the 9 mile marker, so gradually hauled him in and passed, whereupon he put in a push and settled on my shoulder, racing past me in the last 20 yards

Anyway overall time of 1hr17min30s - average pace 7.45, which after 7.38 for the 5 on Thursday was more than I expected [and felt a lot easier than the 5 mile race] £20 Sweatshop voucher for being first LV60 in the overall race and bling for winning the County Champs 

BA didn't have too bad a day at the office although was a bit miffed at finishing exactly 10 mins behind me - however his target was 90 mins so he was still pleased.  I love 10 mile races - I tell myself they are half marathons and then feel great when I realise there is only one mile to go at 9 miles.

Minni:  congrats on the bling - and a pace that makes me feel sick

29/09/2013 at 19:29

Runs of champs O4S and minni!  Sounds like it wasnt a pb day minni, but the overall placing shows it was a good run.

Hope the start of term cold is finally gone kiwi!

Chichester middle distance tri today.  3 lap 2250m swim, 4 lap 83k bike, 4 lap 20k run.  Swim wasnt great but as good as expected given I've only swum in races this year - 49mins.  Nice course for the bike - first half of the lap a long climb, second half had a fun screaming downhill section.  3hr6mins.  Now the run, usually my favourite and strongest bit.  But wait?  Who's stolen my legs?  Where are they?  I shuffled.  and shuffled some more.  Lots of people passed me.  HR cant have gone above 130, but the legs wouldnt budge.  Awful.  1.45, so course must have been short as I was going way slower than that.  

5hr 45 overall.  4th lady (out of 6...  urg), shoulda placed, but didn't.  Sorry team!  

Must admit, the last few weeks have knocked my confidence for Leicester in 2 weeks time.  Think I'll be going for 3.25 rather than the stretch target of 3.20, but 3.25 feels like a stretch now.  Anyway, too much thinking - taper time now!

29/09/2013 at 19:40

Hi all

O4S very well done

Minni - nice time and prize it was windy out there today.

So a DNF today after the last weeks stomach problems I ran Friday and after a steady run thought  that they were behind me only to get up this morning feeling not too good. 2 Imodium later we set off to Redcar and lined up. First mile felt ok at 7.00 but then It was downhill after that feeling sick. Kept the 7 pace till 8 miles where I made a stop to be sick and decided to call it a day and walked the mile back to the finish. A bit disappointed but going to take a few days off before seeing if I'm fit enough for coniston on Sunday.

29/09/2013 at 20:04

Shildon -  Sorry you had to pull out.  I nearly pulled out at the same stage!!! Hope you feel better soon.  What's next?

O4S - brilliant!  Us ladies are all the same - the further we go the better we get!!

KfC - You've had some cracking races recently and that still sounds bloody good to me!  See how the taper goes before making any firm decisions. Are you going to do some MP work in the taper?

29/09/2013 at 20:52

Go O4S! You're fantastic, brilliant result today.  Well done on the 5M race on Thursday too  

Redcar HM is horrible Minni. You've finished strong there, and wouldn't that have been a PB a few weeks ago? The people I know who ran today all said the wind was horrendous. Prizes are good!

Sorry to hear about the DNF Shildon. I DNFed at Redcar a few years ago, threw the towel in at 11 miles.  I wasn't being sick though!! Feel better soon, an easy week sounds like a good plan.  Coniston is a lovely race. 

Hope you enjoyed Fleetwood Mac tonight 2old.  It's almost as if you're just getting used to being in pain all of the time when you're running

Come on Barry, spill the beans!!

kfc I'm no expert but you can't really judge a marathon target off a triathlon, they're two different sports.  See how the next two weeks go, a bit of MP work on fresh legs can do the world of good for confidence.

Last 'long' run of this marathon campaign this morning.  Went much better than last week's long run now I'm sans-lurgy.  6M easy, 7M steady, 7M marathon pace, 1M warm down.  Paces were 8:35, 7:55, 7:22, 8:00.  Felt like crap during the easy 6M, OK during the steady 7M, and good during the MP section  Legs are a bit mashed now.  Have had a decent training week.  Bring on the (still hard, but less miles) taper.

29/09/2013 at 21:24

O4S - brilliant well done

Minni - still a brilliant time

KFC - you'll be back

I shuffled the last 8 miles today and finished in 3:59. I guess 120 miles a month isn't enough. Doh!

GF smashed her PB though and finished in 3:44.

30/09/2013 at 01:47

Spoons - Well done to your GF for a Pb, and letting her beat you

KFC - Think of the tri as just another lsr in your mara training

Carot - Nice progressive lsr, what's your target time?

Shil - At least you gave it a shot, even when you knew things weren't 100%. Which can be more than be said for the GB cycle team, who all pulled out of the World cycling champs today, according to Chris Froome, cus of the crap weather. Fair weather Prima Donnas 

Collarbone giving me another sleepless night, so listening to some internet radio, so I've got an excuse for being up at this time

30/09/2013 at 08:26

Morning all.

Some amazing places and prizes here.

O4S - you are a machine. Congrats champion

Minni - sounds like a tough time in the wind but your position just goes to show how hard it was. Still a fantastic time and the effort you have put yourself through will show through.

KFC - I take my hat off to you. Great times there too.

Shild - sounds like the right decision to make. Hope you fell better soon.

Spoons - Sub4 is good in my book! Massive congrats to the GF.

Carrot - I'm so excited for your marathon in a few weeks. Your training has been amazing. Now go wrap yourself up in cotton wool!

Hope barry and pink met up ok. Looking forward to hearing from him.

Really bad news for me. I don't think I have PF, I think I have a stress fracture. Foot is no better at all. Some days I'm hobbling all day. I have a appt with the consultant in a few weeks. I am managing on cross train on the bike in the gym a few times a week but think I have to come to terms with the fact that this isn't going to improve any time soon

30/09/2013 at 08:31

AA: I know it sounds like bad news, but at least a stress fracture will heal and there is no reason for it to return - a bad bout of PF can just go on and on. Either way hope the consultant can pin it down and get you started on the road to recovery.

30/09/2013 at 08:48

Poor you, Simon   must be hell to be completely immobilised. How many more weeks?

Spoons: be careful - that GF of yours will go sub 3:30 before you know it

Great run, carrot - glad you are de-lurgified now

30/09/2013 at 08:50

xpost AA:     poor you    hope they can find out exactly what it is and if it's a stress fracture you should get over it with a few weeks of rest. Fingers crossed for you.

30/09/2013 at 10:48

AA - Good luck with the consultant for a prognosis.

Chick - Seeing the surgeon on Thursday, for removal of stitches, but still another 3wks  of immobility before any physio.

30/09/2013 at 11:11

AA - fingers crossed you find the cause and the cure. A stress fracture at least is treatable with rest.

Simon - that is really an epic injury, speed to recovery. The GB team really was sh!t, Wiggo just doesn't have the bottle to do any descending in the wet it appears. Mind you did you see Uran's cartwheeling crash - he was lucky that wasn't over an edge!

Barry - hope you have recovered from Berlin 

Minni - Great result - fantastic backdrop for the presentation as well But the sub 90 remains elusive - do you think you might have gone out too quickly - that is surely faster than 10K PB pace? 

kfc - yeah +1 with carrot - you just need to rest up now for the mara

Spoons - at least it was sub-4! 

O4S - sounds like a glamorous course Congrats on the county bragging rights

Shildon - at least you have kept at least some of your powder dry

Carrot - that looks like an excellently executed LR. Nicely set up for the Dam

2old - yeah I am looking at some offroad duathlons - liking the look of the grizedale duathlon in April.

30/09/2013 at 11:50

Simon- sorry to see you're still in pain hopefully you'll be back on your bike soon. 

AA- bit worrying about your foot. Have you tried total rest at all ? Being injured is such a drag. Hope its nothing serious 

Spoons - good coaching of your GF there. you've got a solid base for the next round of marathon training

shild- our bodies have a way of telling us to stop as I know too well at the moment. You've reminded me I have a Coniston place from the postponed march race. Isn't it on the Saturday. I know I won't be doing it though

O4S - really chuffed for you. All the summer cycling is paying off. Podiums and no injury - perfect 

Carrot- aren't you now tapering for Amsterdam ? What do they put in their energy gels?

Ant- once got lost in Grizedale and had to be shown how to get out by two Japanese tourists on mountain bikes 

KFC- nothing wrong with that Tri- decent run too after all that went before. I agree do some MP runs- not too long- and you're in with a good shout for your target time

minni- your last few HMs have been similar times- did that happen before you dropped to 91/92 mins? It's what happened with me then the time dropped again unexpectedly. It will happen and in the meantime bask in the glory of your bling and fast times anyway 

Chick- how's the back today ?

barry-????

Fleetwood Mac were amazing and worth waiting to see them nearly 35 years.. Gulp!

have been limping since my run yestrday so pretty down about it. Had hoped to do our local 10k on Sunday - no chance -. Seeing Physio tomorrow but may need referral to a  psychiatrist if things ccarry on like this

Edited: 30/09/2013 at 11:52
30/09/2013 at 11:55

hm - bits of my previous post seem to have disappeared ...

I'm sure I congratulated KFC on another tri and said chill now. I'm sure the tris will stand you in good stead for the marathon. FWIW - I started mine at 3:20ish pace, couldn't hold it, dropped down to 8mm at some point and still got a 3:24. You never know - you may have a cracker of a day. Nothing ventured, nothing gained

30/09/2013 at 11:58

xpost 2old: sorry you are limping again   first time I drove into work again. Using the clutch hurts but with clenched teeth its ok. Back very stiff this morning, so no running but I will do a bit of shuffling when I get back home tonight.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.