RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

32,881 to 32,900 of 37,323 messages
27/10/2013 at 12:00

Minni- hope the naked HM went well

27/10/2013 at 12:54
great ultra, spoons you really put in the miles at the mo.

simon: another decent comeback run. the perfect storm has been howling all day around these parts :-/

2old: you beat me hands down in terms of mileage and pace. glad your recovery is going well

my Boston entry confirmation card arrived yesterday

did 9 miles today. longest run in a while and slooow (took me nearly 90Mins) but it 's simply great to be out there and run without pain. I won't go sub 3:15 in Boston but I hope to bag another sub 3:30 run and soak up the atmosphere and then try to break 3:15 in the autumn. That way I can be sure not to do too much too soon. it's good to have that pressure off.
27/10/2013 at 13:01

Chick - Glad to hear you're running pain free. It will be great to enjoy Boston without the added pressure.

27/10/2013 at 19:03

Stroud Half Marathon - A race too far??

Woke up this morning with my first thought 'Who's stupid idea was this?' knowing that just for once it was BA who suggested the race rather than me.  The weather forecast was horrible, I felt tired and lethargic and I still didn't have the sense to wimp out.

Stroud is a reasonable size HM but the roads aren't closed and there are various places where you have to run in single file whatever the pace of the person in front, unless you want to risk being mown down by a large truck.  To say it was a bit windy would be a bit like saying the sea is a bit wet and with heavy blustery showers forecast it was hard to decide what to wear.  Didn't risk a warm-up as I wasn't sure my legs would even survive the race distance never mine any extra, just ran up the hill from the car to the start.  Went off at what felt like a conservative pace and was reasonably comfortable - without a garmin I didn't have to worry about how slow it might be.  There was a clock at 5 miles and I was around 38.30, so just under 7.45mm pace, which rather surprised me as I still felt OK. 

Just before 6 miles we turned into the wind........ and we started the 1 mile climb, which is too gradual to shield you from the headwind but enough of a drag to make your legs complain.  Additional problem is that you are on the A38 and only have a narrow coned off lane, so to get past anyone ahead you have to take your life in your hands and accelerate past outside the cones.  I did this three or four times, but it is always a mistake as it takes far more out of your legs than mine had in them.  Between 7 and 8 miles my legs punctured , not a slow puncture, a nail in the tyre sort of puncture - it was like someone had let all the energy escape.  I felt the speed ebb away and on the next section of main road I just plodded along behind a fellow sufferer as there was no way I could accelerate.

Just before 9 miles you turn into an industrial estate and there is more road space [but no scenery] and I managed to wobble my way round to 10 miles in just under 80 mins.  I reckoned I could still make it in under 1.50 even if I fell apart, which I proceeded to do between mile 11 and the finish [to be continued]

27/10/2013 at 19:13

Between miles 11 and 12 the wheels came off big time and I thought I was going to throw up so stopped and walked about 20 yards before setting off again at a shuffle.  Same thing happened between 12 and the finish althougb at least I managed to get past the club photographer before I had to walk another 10 yards until my stomach calmed down.  Uphill finish although at least the wind was now behind us and I crossed the line in 1,46.21 - a little worse than I was hoping at half way and a lot better than I was expecting after half-way.  I checked and 2 years ago when I did Stroud a week after the Rotherham 50 I was 1.46.34!!

BA came in in 1.54.04 also feeling knackered.  Good news is that the time was still faster than Swindon by 30 secs and BA by over a minute, I was second LV60 and he was third MV65.  Bad news is that I doubt I will be able to move for the foreseaable future - which brings us to BAs second stupid idea.  A 2 hour walk through Westonbirt Arboretum on the way home in howling winds and torrential showers - thanks for nothing!!

Anyway I think next year we will have a realxing weekend after Rotherham.........

Kiwi:  that's the same sort of weight loss I had on holiday and it still hasn't all gone back on, so get eating!!

Carrot:    Result!!

KFC: how was the cyclocross??

Sounds like we are in for a rough night down this way, and we have a garden full of large mature trees..................................If I don't post tomorrow the house has been demolished

27/10/2013 at 19:57

O4S - Great race report, and a pretty fast time considering. What have you got next w-end, another ultra, or a 100m bike ride.

27/10/2013 at 20:23

O4S - great race report, dreadful conditions.

Simon - nice paced come back 5miler! Cyclocross certainly sounds like awesome cross training!

Chick - awesome you've had a pain free run

Need to be at the Swiss Embassy in London by 9am tmrw morning to get my biometrics done + hopefully a step forward to the visa situation being solved. just the 80mph winds and no trains to deal with, hoping the roads will be ok.....!!

Dubai Dave    pirate
27/10/2013 at 21:00

spoons: good effort

O4S: do you ever takea weekend off

kfc: have been considering cyclo cross if only cos i could get another bike!

10K run around the Spanish hills in the glorious sunshine.

27/10/2013 at 21:28

Nice ultra spoons!

Great pain free run chick - sounds like a sensible plan for Boston.

O4S - uphill, headwind, punctured legs, sounds like fun...  

Kiwi - what Simon said.  Its a bit like cross country - its how road cyclists keep fit during winter.  Races last about 40 mins riding laps marked out on grass and mud in parks.  Once the winner finishes, everyone finishes at the end of whatever lap they are on.  

Anyway, it was good fun, but I'm not very good at it!  

Like most cycling events, the gender balance is rubbish - a few hundred men, and about 10 women.  We raced in the Vet men race, setting off a minute after them.  I don't have a cyclocross bike so rode my full sus MTB - an unusual choice, the only others I saw riding them were in the 'fun' race at the end of the day.  Despite the MTB I still skidded around a bit in the grass and mud and took a few tumbles, but made up ground on the downhills to lose it on the ups.  Despite the womens field being small, it was speedy, and most I didnt see again.  Not sure what my finish position was, but I don't think there were many behind me!

OH rode in the senior men race, and quickly found himself in a battle of the shitans with 2 other guys, a long way back from the rest of the field.  He's very proud to have won that battle, and very pleased with his 3rd (from last) placing 

27/10/2013 at 22:31

KFC - Nice race report. It must be tough with the extra weight of a full sus Mtn bike. Like you say they're mostly in muddy parks, so you don't get the benefit of the suspension, that you would, with say a big downhill.

DD - One for the chrimbo list, a new cyclocross bike.

Safe travel to all you commuters in the morning, esp in the south.

27/10/2013 at 22:51

AA--some great cycling. Achilles is still tender and very stiff in the morning but apart from some discomfort when I run no pain which is the important thing. I've still got some way to go though. Ditto Simon - any issues when cross training cycling swimming etc? 

Simon-good run today- it's getting out there that matters isn't it. Trouble is when I you eventually get out you want more

O4S- quite incredible performance again today so soon after an ultra and midweek race. Amazing. enjoyed your report a lot 

KFC- that's the first cyclo cross report I've read ...great stuff and ?placed

DD- just my luck it poured in Spain yesterday when I was there. Good 10k

KIwi- get eating !

Chick- great to see you out there running again.

27/10/2013 at 22:56

Chick- my Boston confirmation arrived too...excited now. Don't rule out anything yet. Still lots of time. I managed 10.5 today ,still some discomfort but no pain. 8.15mm in strong winds . Still a long way to  -3.15 for me too.I have to be patient which is a struggle. 

28/10/2013 at 06:10

O4S - an amazing effort. Hope your house is still standing!

kfc - sounds mental!

simon/2old - foot doesn't hurt when cycling or swimming, more when I've been sat or stood for a while

been listening to the wind for the last few hours. Getting stronger. 

28/10/2013 at 06:51

Sounds fun KFC

28th - 3.00 plank, 56 press ups, 36 squats, 19 lunges
28/10/2013 at 07:33
Spoons - well done in the ultra

kfc - that cyclo cross sounds like fun!

O4S - well toughed out....and still a very fine time

kiwi - hope you make it in time for your appointment....the weather gods are not on your side.

Another 17 miles yesterday - felt really good despite the windy conditions. Had to smile when a load of teenagers sped passed me in a car and one of them shouted out the window "You're well fit!" Kinda warmed the cockles of my 45 year old heart...

We're getting the wind really picking up now, but I think we might just escape the very worst of it as it seems to be south of us. Hope those further west and south are all OK.

Minni - how was Jedburgh?
28/10/2013 at 08:21

Lovin' it Freemers

O4S: that was an amazing performance so close to your ultra. I've said it loads of times before but you are a machine!

2old: of course I'm hoping for some miracle to give me my strength and speed back all of the sudden. But it's more likely I'm going to grind out loads and loads of frustratingly slow miles HADD stylee before anything happens. Right now I just don't care about pace. As long as I can put in the miles and there's no deterioration all is well. I hope to be up to 20 miles around Christmas and then take it from there.

8:15 pace is great. I'm about as far from that as I am from the moon

KFC: no idea what cyclo-cross is but it sounds like something adrenaline fuelled that 14 year olds would do   I'd be very scared about me old bones

Massive winds and lots of rain scuppered my planned trendy 5 this morning. Hopefully things will have calmed down by the evening so I can still go out.

28/10/2013 at 08:52

Kiwi - you must have lost a lot of weight.  Hope you get your visa's sorted.  Did you get your passports back?

Chick - I agree re the pressure but wait and see nearer the time.  The enforced rest will have given your muscles a really good rest and you'll be good to go in no time.

2old- SLOW DOWN!  You want to get back running consistently and not aggravate that injury! 

Simon - nice to you banking a good run.  Great that the shoulder is ok when running.

Spoons - great ultra and great planking!

kfc - cyclocross sounds like run.  I like it that the whole thing is over once the first place finishes. 

Freemers - nice 17 there and good to get a shout.  When's your next HM?

28/10/2013 at 09:05

freemers - nice to enjoy a 17!

124 lengths in the pool this morning. Took it up to 1h10. 3.1k

28/10/2013 at 09:26

Crikey, AA - that's almost Ironmen length!!

28/10/2013 at 09:29

Chick - I did an Ironman length in the lake in August. But my 10k swim is 400 lengths  so I need to get some decent swims in before the lake reopens in April. The 10k is June 1st...

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.