RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

33,001 to 33,020 of 37,591 messages
01/11/2013 at 10:29

Hey, that's great news, AA

Shaz:
wot Freemers said - we are of similar age here (I'm 45 too) and there's no stopping us lot - I'm pretty determined to set PBs for as long as my body allows me to. Well, it's just thrown a bit of a spanner in the works but hopefully only temporary.

And I have to second what Freemers said re. MP too. Wouldn't do too much at MP at this stage. Slow base miles were my trick to eventually become faster. If your base is right, MP will feel a lot less daunting. BTW, my HM times were never spectacular either. The only distance that counts is the marathon, innit ?

01/11/2013 at 13:02
Haha yes, quite right Chick - marathon is the only distancethat matters

And I understand where you're both coming from. Think I was being a bit over ambitious trying to run everyting at LT pace (aka my new MP goal!)...I'll be worn out before proper training commences.

Full of a cold today, so won't be doing anything just yet.
01/11/2013 at 16:02

Shaz - looks like you'll fit in nicely here.  Cheers! 

Chick - that's a great way to think about it: as long was my body will allow.  Age doesn't really matter its all about what our bodies will allow.  I think my body is having a nap - I've hardly done anything this week!  

01/11/2013 at 16:29

No Asics target 26.2 for me this year. I don't think my employers would be too impressed, if I go off to boot camp in Birmingham whilst I'm still off on sick leave.

5.5m @ 8.54 ave pace for me today. Shoulder still sore, so still limiting arm movement, but getting there slowly.

Shaz - Welcome, Minni and the other P&D stalwarts will be able to get you to your goal.

01/11/2013 at 17:11

'As long as my body will allow'     Hmmm. 

The impossible is fine, miracles are different 

If I did a 'real' PB now ( as opposed to an age group PB) I reckon I could make a fortune out of selling the secret! (The secret of course being not to start running until you are an OAP)

Dubai Dave    pirate
01/11/2013 at 17:41

Shaz: Welcome to the mad house, its run by women so you will be fine!

Minni: im always entering ballots for races i dont want to actually run, hence im doing the Grizzly in March. I also seem to have entered RAB again next Sept. Not to mention all mates wanting me to run the Wall in June. 

Actually ran 11 miles on the trails around here this morning, first double figure run since Henley. Sunshine helped!

01/11/2013 at 18:35

ok, cat among pigeons....

are good for age places unfair, and too easy for the girls?

e.g. as a 37 year old blokey I have to run sub 3:05, but an 18 year old girl can run 3:44 and get a GFA place. For me to get a GFA place with 3:44 I would have to be over 60 years old!

I know there are more men running than women, and appreciate it's as much a case of encouraging women to run as anything else... and this isn't a dig at the girls who train harder than me!!!!

01/11/2013 at 18:41

Brave words..... 

01/11/2013 at 19:08

IJ must have a death wish ladies........

01/11/2013 at 19:33

Spoons- I replaced the chocolate with crisps and home made baking! I'm attempting to do your 5 min routine each day this month. 

2old- im reading and replying from a few pages back so I hope you haven't anymore injuries!

Redwood- have you ran Glos 20 before? just wondering if I should enter it???

minni- no hm just a full one or an ultra Will they be on or off road? I think the whole thread should take part in a park run in November, what a smack down that would be. Would you like to set us a date and we can all do a virtual park run??? What date is the Berlin marathon?

DD- that mountain sounds hard but I bet it's good for some hill reps.

Free- fantastic speed runs. 

IJ- welcome. Lots of great tips on this thread. Do you have a marathon planned for 2014? which plan did you follow for Palma?

chick- glad to see you are running again.

kiwi- does mr kiwi know that you have entered him into the half??? I've informed my hubby that he is doing a park run sometime this month to motivate him, the only run he has done so far is a 3k kids run!

AA- How was the shockwave treatment? 10mile run is great after only one treatment.

Shildon- thats a good level to get up to on the bleep test.

welcome Shazmo that's an impressive list of races I agree with long slow miles at the moment. I think if you can do most runs at mp now then in 12-18weeks time your mp should be quicker.

KFC- nice club run, good luck for tomorrow.

simon- nice run there. 

Not much running from me this week. I went to the club on Monday and was asked what pace I would like, 7:45-8mm please.  I had to pull out after 4 miles @ 7:20 but was happy that I continued at my own pace to make the run 8 miles. X country race tomorrow then I will ramp my mileage up next week. 

Good luck to all racers this weekend. 

01/11/2013 at 20:48

DD - Well done on the double figures.

Gaz - Well done for sticking it out.

IJ - I'm 51, and even thou they have easied the GFA time by 5mins, it's still sub 3:20 for me, and will remain at that til I'm 61. I'm not going to mention the womens targets. But even thou their targets are easier than men's, on here most of the women are faster than the men anyway. I think we need the easier GFA's.

01/11/2013 at 21:28

Happy 33,000 posts gang!  

No Berlin for me, probably just as well really as I'd planned not to do an Autumn marathon next year.

You know you have to do Berlin Minni! Then again if you don't there's more places freed up for us ballot losers....

3M AA, happy days!

Welcome Shazmo! London and Boston, how exciting!  Have you done two marathons so close together before? I've used P&D a couple of times in the past but it didn't really work for me. It does work for a lot of other runners.  I do need a training plan to follow though otherwise I don't get anything productive done!  There's plenty of inspiration here from what people have achieved, never say never.  I wouldn't be running marathon pace on every run, that's too hard.  If you're doing 3 times a week maybe have one run with a chunk at marathon pace, one long run, and one either intervals or hill reps? Basically what Freemers said!

Good luck with the sub-21 YKW kfc!

IJ it's not really about having a dig, it's just stating what everyone already knows.  When I first started running marathons a sub-3:45 took a bit of work, but nowhere near as much as it did for Parsnip a few years later when he was aiming for a GFA (sub-3:10 at the time)  If it was fair it would go on age grading.  If everything was fair I'd have got a ballot place for Berlin!

Trendy 5M done this morning.  Have been eating like it's going out of fashion this last fortnight, I'm now 2kg up on what I was before Amsterdam

01/11/2013 at 21:55

IJ I do kind of agree with you that the system seems harsh but, men are faster than women.  There's  been loads of threads started [by men] on this.  For a lot of women the ladies GFA seems equally hard to achieve.  I ran a GFA on my first marathon and have continued to do so since and I wouldn't say I'm a natural runner but I am prepared to put the work in.  I kind of have the opinion that anybody can do the same (men or women) but also see that for many its hard to achieve.   On the Champs, FGFA and GFA starts in London I can guarantee there are more men than women, as you say, but if its so much easier for women then surely this wouldn't be the case?  

and appreciate it's as much a case of encouraging women to run as anything else...

Not sure where you're going with this - are you saying that you think its made easy for ladies to try to encorage more to run...?    

Anyway it is what it is.  You guys just have to run faster!  ;-)

01/11/2013 at 22:01
Gazelle I wish... wrote (see)

I think the whole thread should take part in a park run in November, what a smack down that would be. Would you like to set us a date and we can all do a virtual park run??

What a brilliant idea Gazza!  I wonder if we could pull that off?  And of course we girls all get beaten by the super fast guys.  

01/11/2013 at 22:49

Minni- never done a Park Run yet and won't be doing one in November....but I like the idea just not yet .Ive had the experience of 2 FGFA visits and as you say there weren't many femalel racers there

Chick- that's great mileage with a bad back. 

IJ- be happy you're that age ....I didn't start until I was 45. All those wasted years ! For me 3.15 GFA was doable and now its 3.20 for me like Simon. Bit worried that age and injury are catching up though

Shaz- use now to Xmas to base build add the speed gradually so that you hit the new year uninjured

rest day for me today 

Edited: 01/11/2013 at 22:52
01/11/2013 at 22:56

Gaz- just the same injuries thanks

Simon- pity you won't be trying for the ASICS challenge but see your point about work. Good run Too.  My arm/ shoulder aches too but for different reasons - the weight of the cast 

AA- yes !!! 3 miles and more to come 

02/11/2013 at 11:31

Morning all.

got out before the worst of the rain and got 8 miles done,av 7.52 but a couple were under 7.30 . Achilles still bugging me but i reckon its now scar tissue not inflammation and I'm just going to have to work through this- With care! About 46 miles in the last 7 days - all with a broken wrist. Maybe that's the way to do it- create pain in a different area of the body 

02/11/2013 at 14:16
careful 2old... that's a lot of mileage and a fast pace for a body that's a bit kaputt...
02/11/2013 at 14:20

2old - You should of got them to put a cast on the other arm, so you can build up the muscles in both arms! Nice run this am, I hope it is just scar tissue? I bet Minni knows someone who's entered the Ascis 26.2, she knows everyone.

02/11/2013 at 14:23

18 miles banked today in the hills. Avg pace was something like 11.30 m/m!  But great to test out the endurance.  

2old - I can't believe you're doing all that with your arm in plaster! 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.