RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

33,201 to 33,220 of 37,118 messages
11/11/2013 at 18:02

2old - Hailstorm was Saturday round here, so missed it yesterday, in fact it was a lovely sunny autumnal afternoon. Re beetroot juice, when I used it, it was just the 2 days prior to the race and race day. Definitely had more energy towards the end of my mara, but could of been a placebo effect.

Shil - Well done on 1st place

Edited: 11/11/2013 at 18:03
11/11/2013 at 19:48
2old - celebrate how do you do that. That's the only race I've won in 17 years of running. It will probably be another 17 before I win again. Going to try to keep at 50 a week till Christmas and that should set me up well when the hard training starts in january. Nice tm session there.

Col - well done there.

Dd - nice run and I hope you get sorted out soon.

Re beet root juice I've heard good and bad reviews. Never tried it personally though.
11/11/2013 at 20:20

Go O4S, nice XCing!

When is your half Ant, this coming weekend or next? I also drank too much over the weekend  

Nice to hear you've had a little rest over the weekend 2old.  Great run this morning too.  How are your collection of injuries coming along? Any more mishaps to report?

Sub-19 from you on a flat course Shildon. You'll have a few people to pace yourself off / race against at Albert if you go there.

Enjoy the trip Chick! Sounds like you've got your priorities sorted - get there, get out for a run!

I will NOT drink beetroot juice, I don't care how fast it makes you.  Can't someone just invent a beetroot pill that we can all take?

11/11/2013 at 20:42

3km in and hour DD - so that's the challenge to beat?

90 mins on the turbo tonight watching the hobbit

11/11/2013 at 21:36

Spoons- looks like you're on fire 

Spoons- both achilles tender and stiff  but not painful when running ,elbow scarred  sore and bruised- damaged tendons I think, left wrist throbs a bit where fracture is and arm itches , right wrist worn out. Otherwise feeling 100% thanks. Mustn't grumble 

Simon- beetroot does something to do with nitrates enabling the same exrecise to be done with less energy ,they say but care is needed not to drink it in too concentrated form otherwise any race advantage is lost in the toilet 

Shild- your trainng looks pretty tough now 

11/11/2013 at 22:52

Woah, looks like I've stumbled across foodfadtasticland!  Only study I can find on it had a sample size of 9  finding they could run for 8.7mins rather than 7.6mins.  Now I love beetroot, but this just smacks of bad science and a heavy dose of bogus superfood marketing to me.  Doubt thats gonna make much difference, compared with training proper, unless you truly believe it and get a good placebo effect going...  

Grumpy today.  long day at work.  Looking forward to speedwork tomorrow night.

Shildon - magic to win a race.  Nice one.

11/11/2013 at 23:15

Carrot - race is on Sunday - Red is doing it as well I believe. 

Did have a beetroot & feta salad tonight. Yum

12/11/2013 at 06:33

2old The tennis balls are great, especially swimming after you have used them as there is a big difference in the arms. I like using them.

Daren great run

Shildon congratulations on first place for YKW

DD Interesting list of tips - I have tried beetroot juice & it made me gag,

KFC enjoy the speed work

Another 5 miles banked last night, calf ok so I think it was my insufficient warm up that caused the pain.

It is hard to be motivated to go out for a run at the moment. As many of you know Barry's mum has been poorly for a while & sadly she passed away at the weekend. He has gone home to make all the arrangements. A really lovely lady who treated me with nothing but kindness for the 23 years that I knew her & taught our two daughters things that they will carry with them. We are all feeling very sad & lost at the moment.

Edited: 12/11/2013 at 06:36
12/11/2013 at 07:15

KFC - that's not surprising really re: Beetroot

12th - 3.40 plank, 64 press ups, 44 squats, 27 lunges, 12 side plank leg raises   running club tonight.....
12/11/2013 at 07:18
Hi all,

Carrot - sub 19 would be achievable I hope.

2old - I only achieve on high miles unfortunately.

KFC - enjoy the speed work.

Pink - condolences to you all at this sad time.
12/11/2013 at 08:59

Barry / Pink - really sorry to hear the bad news and puts everything else into perspective. Condolences to you both and your daughters.

Shildon - well done on your 1st place, that's a brilliant result as us blokes never get any bling!

Daren / Minni - great work knocking 20 milers out

I'm with Carrot on the beetroot juice. I don't care what benefits it brings, I think I'd vomit the moment it hit the back of my throat.

DD - nice training and I hope the docs find out what the problem is. 

I had quite a good week last week. Managed 38M which is my biggest mileage since March as just haven't had the time to do it. I should be tapering for HM on Sunday, but thinking more long-term really to try and get back into it. Unsure about whether to commit to a spring marathon, mainly due to home life with 3 month old and Dad unwell, but will make a decision soon.

Did a 10K training run on Sunday at 7.24 pace, followed with a HM training run on Sunday at 8.30 pace, and then did a 5M shuffle this morning. Was peeing it down with rain but I love running when it's like that. Have a slight ache in my calf, but hoping I'll be in reasonable condition for Sunday.

12/11/2013 at 09:37

((((Barry / Pink)))) sorry to hear such such sad news.

Shildon - wow, don't think many of us on here would have won a race (even if you're not really allowed to call parkrun a race!). Brilliant

Ant / Red - looking forward to reading about the HM forum smackdown at the weekend

Aiming for a progressive run later. Probably on the TM as it is peeing down outside and I am a wimp

12/11/2013 at 12:08

Barry / Pink - so sorry for your loss

12/11/2013 at 14:28

Barry / Pink - really sorry to hear of your loss. My sympathies are with you.

Ant / Red - good luck for Sunday's race

Shildon -  I have tried the high mileage approach but it usually ends up with me being injured or too tired. I am looking to improve my MP from 7:24 minute miling to 7:15 but to do that I will need to work on improving my 5k times and taking that up through the distances. I rarely go above 50m a week in the peak of marathon training.

2old -  nice session yesterday. You asked what a week looked like in my training for Dublin. Typically a week would have a lsr, a faster 10m with the majority of the miles at MP, a speedwork session at 5k  to 10k pace, a tempo interval session with 3 x 10 mins @ tempo pace, an easy recovery run of about 4m and 2 rest days. Where possible I try to stick to the pace set for each session, and avoid the tempation to go too fast. The one run where I really struggle with pace is the lsr where I tend to do these a bit on the quick side.

kfc - enjoy the speedwork. I have a track session of 6 x 1k to look forward to later.

12/11/2013 at 14:33

Barry/Pink - Sorry to hear the news.

Free - Get out there you wimp He he.

Beautiful sunny day up here, but did a progressive 5m on the TM in the gym, so I could also use the pool for some arm/shoulder exercises.

12/11/2013 at 14:49

Barry / Pink (( ))

Lovely day here especially for the morning cycle to work.  Club run last night and after 4 days in a row I am treating myself to a day off, although it is glorious weather so perhaps just a short one...................

Simon:  when are you back at work?

12/11/2013 at 15:16

Simon - sorry, epic fail for me on getting outside...I also did a 5 mile progressive TM run

O4S - well, it would be a shame to waste the weather....it's rubbish out here in the east.

Col - that schedule seems heavy on the faster paced stuff....not sure I could manage intervals, a tempo run and a 10 mile MP run every week.  But it must have worked for you!  Did you have any cut-back weeks in amongst all that?

Dubai Dave    pirate
12/11/2013 at 16:44

Barry / Pink (( ))

Spoons. If your doing 2.5k in 53 mins youre already close to 3k in 60. Im about 2.5k in 60 now.

Club hill session tonight, based on previous experience it will be brutal.

12/11/2013 at 18:17

O4S - Seeing the surgeon later this week for update. Still having physio, and movement of shoulder still limited.

DD - Enjoy your club hills (not)

12/11/2013 at 19:41

Barry/pink - (())

spoons - good swimming And turbo session. 

2old - how many sessions of shotgun have you had? They only recommend 5 max here then I need 3 months before I could have another sesh. 

Managed another 3 miles tready run 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.