RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

33,241 to 33,260 of 37,231 messages
14/11/2013 at 15:08

Hi all,

Red - I trained for last years London with a 3 month old and it was not easy. Good luck with the half. Nice free night out take the free bar for an hour or two then introduce yourself to all those people you don't know. Could make for an interesting night.

Free - it is nice to win a race even being a YKW but I prefer to have someone to chase as I can get a bit complacent and ease off

Col - I have been working on my short speed for the last few months gradually building up to get my longer pace faster again.

Gazelle - nice 16 there, I am going to follow the 18/55 plan as well I think.

3 mile warm up Tuesday followed by 8 by 80m hills with jog down recovery, 7.5 mile fartlek last night trying to keep pace with a new club member who runs 34 min 10ks so it was a bit of a challenge.

Edited: 14/11/2013 at 15:11
14/11/2013 at 20:54

Thank you for the condolences - not an easy time at the mo  

Red where's the HM? Enjoy the night out & free bar

Gazelle nice long run there. 

Simon - how is your shoulder now?

AA good that your managing to run - how's the foot?

Not many miles banked for me this week but my kit is packed to go for a run at lunchtime tomorrow, i'm sure the fresh air will do me some good.

14/11/2013 at 21:47

You were up early this morning AA - or was it up late?!

I don't have a treadmill at home Gazelle I just use the ones in the gym, they're big, sturdy technogym ones but a bit pricey for a home treadmill.  I'm not sure if it goes past 20kph - Parsnip had it on that fast once for about 30s! Well done on the long run.

Hope you survive the night out Red...

Fancy that Minni, I'm there next weekend too! Might pack the trainers and barcode for if I'm up early enough for a YKW....

Ant that's a good run ahead of Sunday! Things are looking good for you getting that target.  I wouldn't personally be doing too many 400s tomorrow, and not faster than 10K pace.  Save it for Sunday!

Had a bit of a crummy intervals session this morning, done on the industrial estate.  It was SO WINDY and I threw the towel in before my last rep.  I wasn't hitting the pace I was aiming for so wrote it off as a bad day at the office rather than flogging myself for the sake of it.  It's been a while since I've had a dire training run so it was about time!

14/11/2013 at 23:04

DD - the up sounds great, but the down? on slippy cobbles? bloody terrifying

Looks good for a sub 90 attempt ant!

Like your plank ambition IJ!

Thats a long way from pathetic AA - nice work.

Redwood - thread wisdom has I think proved that a big night out a few days before usually means a PB.  Enjoy!

Hope you managed to get out pink lady, and that it helped clear your head

Nice long run gazelle - remind me, are you doing VLM?

Good work news for me - my current contract role is becoming permanent, but the main thing is I've negotiated working all my weekly hours in 4 days rather than 5.  Yep, that means a dedicated day off for long runs!    

Fab club 10M run tonight.  Started at 7.45 pace, ended at 7.10 pace, avg 7.30.  Feels a long way off MP now, but doing this Thursday run all winter should help get closer.

Think I may do a cheeky YKW this weekend - bit of a tune up race...

15/11/2013 at 00:18

Pink - Saw surgeon today, happy with progress, but still need more physio, and ideally in hydro pool. Wants to see me one more time just after chrimbo, so still no driving, and still no work.

kfc - I do the cramming Full time hrs into 4days, it's got its plus and minus points. The minus is cus your working such long hrs on your work days, all your chores/duties etc have to be done on your days off, but hope it works for you!

15/11/2013 at 07:50

KFC - well done on the job. And hours to suit. Nice one 

Carrot - well done on listening to your body. 

Minni - I'm not far from Oxford... I might pop up and support. Considering packing my trainers but you'll be in the pub by the time I'm done 

Simon - how much longer will it be? Have they said?

15/11/2013 at 09:17

That is so weird - Mr F and I have a few days break just outside Oxford at the back end of next weekend....there's a chance I can come a couple of days early and meet up for the YKW

kfc - great news on the job front

carrot - it was a bit blowy yesterday wasn't it! Good idea to bail rather than thrash it to death.

Pink - a run will definitely do you good

It's intervals for me later - km reps on the TM.  Gazza - I use the ones in the gym too...although OH has discovered a really good place near us that sells re-conditioned ex-gym equipment, including good quality TMs so we are thinking about whether it would be worth getting one. Not sure, as I like the lunchtime routine of the gym at lunchtime, so I'm not sure how much use we'd make of it.

15/11/2013 at 09:57

Never done a YKW, perhaps I should try one. Do I need a piece of paper or some such?

15/11/2013 at 11:05
Hi all,

Carrot - you're allowed a bad one now and again.

KFC - great news about your job.

O4s - parkrun website has a registration to do then you get a barcode to present at the finish of the race.

Rest day yesterday and 16 done this morning instead of sunday as we are of to center parcs for the weekend. Only plan on short stuff while I'm there.
15/11/2013 at 12:47

KFC - great news about the job. Most people do close to 10 hours a day nowadays anyway....

Was supposed to swim this morning but went back to sleep when the alarm went off at 5.55am. I'm getting so lazy....

15/11/2013 at 13:30

I was supposed to swim this morning but as I have a planned hangover tomorrow I thought I'd do my long run today. Managed 6 miles. one more than last week  i felt my heel all the time but it didn't get any worse. And I'm not limping after so I will draw on this positivity 

Dubai Dave    pirate
15/11/2013 at 14:56

Kfc: hope it works for you, i prefer semi retirement!

AA: progress

Spoons: lazy git! 

Funny how many folks are going to be near Oxford next weekend, I on the other hand am off to Dubai for two to three weeks working in the sun. i will be reserving the treadmill on the platform.

last nights club session was yet another hard workout so went out for a pootle on my bike this morning in the winter sun, 2 hours, 31 miles, 2000 feet of climbing, frozen toes.

15/11/2013 at 17:35

Tried to register for Park Run, thought I did everything OK, but nothing has come back. Should it take a while?

5 miles today just to loosen the legs before the HM

15/11/2013 at 17:43

Gazelle - I did two 20m runs for Dublin. Good luck with the P&D 18/55 plan. I know a few guys who have followed the plan and they say it works well.

Freemers - I had cut back weeks for some of the races I did

Ant / Red - Good luck in your half marathon

Good luck to anyone else racing or running this week. Like a few others on here, I will be doing a parkrun tomorrow.

15/11/2013 at 18:50

Congrats on the job kfc, great news (especially the 4 days a week bit!)  I work my hours over four days too, it's well worth it

Things seem to be taking a long time Simon.  Those little scallys have a lot to answer for  

Enjoy parkrun tomorrow Col.

Good luck Ant and Red with the HM on Sunday.  Are you doing the same one O4S? Barcode might just take a little while to come through, the day before is probably peak time for new registrations! So where are you planning on making your debut?...

Enjoy the weekend away Shildon. No parkruns nearby at Center Parcs?

6 miles and no pain AA, get in! And a planned hangover to top it all off. 

Nice pootling DD, hope your toes have thawed out a bit.

Any other racers this weekend?

Easy 12M this morning, a lovely day for it and no wind (typical!)

15/11/2013 at 20:37

AA/Carot - Yes it's taking awhile to heal. It would of been easier if I had just broken the collarbone, as they just plate it, and off you go. But it's the ligaments that are taking the time to heal.  7m on the gym TM in 1:02:04, so about 8.51ave pace, and some hydro therapy in the pool afterwards.

Good luck to any racers this w/end

16/11/2013 at 05:05
AA - decent distance with no pain hopefully you are on the mend

Carrot - I looked over here for parkruns last time I was here but there are not any near. Maybe a gap in the market to expand your director skills. Was nice conditions for running yesterday.

Good luck to all racers this weekend. Hope the Hm's get smashed.
Edited: 16/11/2013 at 05:06
16/11/2013 at 07:10
Col great 3:14. top stuff

2old, you are jinxed. as for 60-70 miles a week, Hmmm.

Chic hope the "back" holiday is working.

Daren doing a marathon? Shocked.

Shildon first place bling and sub 20. V nice.

Gazelle good running, remember you have won a race? Thunder Run sprint.

Barry & Pinklady, sorry to hear about your loss.

DD great sessions

KFC, congrats on job and new long run day. Cushy!

Spoons Iccle Jim etc, would now be a good time to say the Team GB Physio said no need to do front planking over a minute? Honest! (No locking hands either, thats makes it easier). Better to plank alternate arm or leg up to mimic stresses of running.
Side leg raises fine but to your hip limit. Will post the recommended exercises.

Work still keeping me busy, but Yes have entered Comrades, was a long term aim after 2 friends did it 2012.
14 day plan going well. have managed 3 strength sessions, 3 circuits, 3 speed sessions, one extra each. Thursday, another session with speedy local athlete, 7 x 1km at under 10k pace off 90 secs recovery, and windy too, v tough but all 3m 45-50s.

UKAA coaching course today, Sunday was going to a free Salomon test shoes trail event in Keswick (Simon/ 2old any use to you? ) but wife busy now so means have to do League Race.

Good luck Ant, Red, O4S. Anyone else.
Edited: 16/11/2013 at 07:13
16/11/2013 at 16:32

hi guys, lots to read back on sorry if I miss anybody out!!

sorry for your loss Barry + Pink, sending you virtual hugs.

kfc - congrats on the new job.

hope the back clinic is helping Chick!

aa, 6 miles is fab, yay.

16/11/2013 at 16:35

Simon, that sux that it is taking so long heal 7 miles at sub 9 mm is good so soon on your comeback!

2old - how are things now?

Spoons yoy must have a 6 pack by now!

Frc you've got a good regime going.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.