RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

35,401 to 35,420 of 37,190 messages
21/03/2014 at 13:53

Barry- no pacers ,might need a pacemaker after it 

21/03/2014 at 14:02

Pinklady - my half marathon is tomorrow. Quite a few half marathons are on a Saturday in N. Ireland.

AA - that's still a decent run at a good pace

Chickadee - my conversion last year was 2 x HM plus 17mins. I think you could be on for a very good time on Sunday

2old - once that race number is on you will nail those splits for sub 90. I struggle to do 5m at HMP in training and yet in race it just seems to happen.

I can't see me doing a sub 90. Its going to be windy and the course is on the coast so is very exposed. 

Good luck to all other racers and any one doing their long runs for upcoming marathons.

21/03/2014 at 14:10
Those are great photos Barry
21/03/2014 at 14:29

Hi 2old, Yes it is obviously a good bit of marketing!

Hi kfc, thanks for the welcome, yes I am really hoping this wind goes away. It has been around for ages now and yes, if it is a windy day on the East coast it can be awful ;0(

When I was out yesterday morning and it was absolutely brutal, character building they call it ;0) 

21/03/2014 at 15:21

Col:  where is the HM??  I think I will try timing my visits to take in some NI races in the future.  Weather was pretty rubbish yesterday and I had to weat semi-respectable gear as I had a couple of business meetings as well as family visiting.

Slow run with BA this afternoon coming up, then we will have a final attempt to do 20 in a race on Sunday - it will be the first one this campaign that hasn't been part of an ultra 

Think my plan is to start slow and get slower.......................

21/03/2014 at 15:30

Barry: Great pics

2old/DD: time to get emotional   link

Dubai Dave    pirate
21/03/2014 at 15:48

2Old: the guys on the barge thought I was nuts running on the heli deck. My one and only 20 if I get that far will be next week

Barry; was thinking about Neolithic at Stonehenge is only 20 mins away but too soon after Boston. As to getting competitive again after winning AG races a year ago, the truth is that I don't have the rivalries here that I had in Dubai so cant be bothered to drive on.

Back home last night, 8.5 miles this morning at about 8-30 pace which felt easy enough. For sure running on tarmac is much easier on my niggle / injury than running on steel and b) running in the lanes is much easier than running around a heli deck  c) its colder here!

21/03/2014 at 15:56

Great photos Barry!

21/03/2014 at 23:39

Chick- it's going to be more than just a marathon ! A privilege to be part of the occasion. 

DD- after seeing that link no way will any of us be a DNS at Boston so you will do that 20. 

Barry- you don't look tired at all in those pics..did you try hard enough  I'm trying to be confident but my bottle is going. 

col- what is it about putting on a race number ?

Nell- all training this time of the year seems brutal. Global warming no doubt

O4S - you were getting faster and faster not so long ago

did a 5 m TM session earlier with 1 mile at MP and 1 at HMP. Tried psychology by constantly telling myself how easy it was. My body shouted I was a liar ! Resting tomorrow. 

22/03/2014 at 05:19

Col - Good luck for today.

2old - I think I was happy/relieved to have finished and the recovery powers of Guiness are very good.  The race photos and video tell a different story,  but I did manage a smile across the finish line. Maybe set off at 6:5x's tomorrow and push on later if the pace feels OK.

22/03/2014 at 07:39

Good luck today Col

Hope the ultra goes well tomorrow O4S

2Old Yes I may seriously consider running Barcelona Marathon next year. Especially as we walked the equivalent of a Marathon. The relief of sitting down is on my face in that photo!

Managed to bag a free 14 day gym pass for myself & Barry so will make use of the pool today. Rest today as HM tomorrow

Good luck to anyone else racing this weekend

22/03/2014 at 07:52

Barry/pink/carrot - great photos. 

Col/KFC - good luck in your halfs today. 

2old/chick/pink - good luck in your halfs tomorrow. 

Im looking forward to race reports! 

Freemers - it's all looking very good for you. 

DD - welcome home. 

Didnt sleep well last night so have ditched the RR today (for now.) Time to start listening to the body again and resting when required. Legs were aching during the night!

22/03/2014 at 10:29

first race report in from me - and its a big fat DNS!  Woke up feeling crap, I'm full of cold.  No HM for me, looks like a weekend in bed instead. Hope our other racers manage to get to the start line!

22/03/2014 at 12:17
Poor you kfc

AA: hope the rest helps.

2old: I tried something similar. 1k at the slower end of my HMP range and 1 at the faster. Both felt incredibly hard. Very windy too and it will be like that tomorrow as well. Bah...

DD: welcome back on terra firma

Hope you have a good one col
22/03/2014 at 14:24

great reports + nice photos Barry + Carrot.

Minni - has the rolkering etc helped?

just popping in to wish all the racers good luck, Col hope your hm went well today, good luck for tmrw Pink, Daren, Chick + 2old.

kfc hope you are feeling better soon!

22/03/2014 at 14:55

Hi everyone. I'm back from my hols... A lot to catch up on.

Carrot- excellent run in Barcelona considering the conditions. I would've died in that heat. Doesn't sound like the conditions were right for a pb but like you say you know you did everything right and it will simply take another go to break (and probably completely smash) 3.15.

Barry- very happy to hear that the calf held up. Considering the heat and the problems you had in a run up it was always going to be a tough one so glad that you're happy with the outcome. There were some super speedy miles there...

KFC- hope you feel better!

Hope Col had a good one today!

Good luck to all the racers tomorrow.

I got back this morning. Managed to do quite a bit of running when in Thailand- some of it on the beach where even at 6.30am it felt like running with someone sitting on my chest... so not very far or fast! Some of it on a hotel treadmill in the second week. I hope it helped to limit the damage caused by all the cocktails and curries...

Can't wait to get back into proper training now.

Dubai Dave    pirate
22/03/2014 at 15:22

Bro: welcome back but suspect you'd rather still be on holiday.

kfc: so be it.

A laboured 6 miles this morning, didn't want to do it and no oomph, leg hurting. Lets hope tomorrow is better!

Cheered up immensely by watching Chelsea! 

22/03/2014 at 15:54

Bro- sounds like a tough holiday. Bet you're looking forward to work 

Chick- It was a tough session for such a short one 

KFC- better to get over the cold - VLM is your target 

DD-your legs will fix after a few successive days of runs . Arsenal couldn't have been any worse 

AA-hope a bit of rest will put you back on track

Barry- I will see after 3-4 miles if that pace is sustainable 

weather here tomorrow looks as it's not going to be helpful - cold , wet and wind in wrong direction .... 

Im feeling all sorts of aches pains and niggles in the mini taper 

22/03/2014 at 17:20
KFC - hope you get over the cold soon

Barry - great photos

O4S - today was the Larne Half Marathon. Good luck in your 20m race tomorrow

I managed to achieve my sub 90 target today. My finish time on my garmin was 1:29:03. The weather wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. It was windy but being an out and back course it works both ways. At mile 12 I thought I was on for a 1:28:xx but the last mile seemed to measure long by 100m. Kept a fairly even pace throughout except on the 1m uphill section where the pace was 7:30 but the next mile was 6:03 on the downhill. I had gone into the race feeling tired after 2 weeks at about 50m so am happy with my time.

Good luck to 2old, Chickadee, Pinklady and Daren in their halfs tomorrow.
22/03/2014 at 17:30

col - well done, cracking time

kfc - hope you recover soon

Best of luck to the rest of the racers. I have mainly been suffering from the mother of all hangovers today. Does marathon training make hangovers worse?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.