RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

35,621 to 35,640 of 36,951 messages
30/03/2014 at 21:11

Chick/Nell/Minni/Daren - Nice lsr's.

O4S - Great taper race report.

2old - Hope the lsr is going ok, spurred on by Liverpool top of the league again.

So as may have gathered, the fact I've been lying low, Manchester Marathon next w/end is going to be a DNS. The achilles has been limiting my running, so I'm nowhere near race ready. This is the one time I wish they had been a HM run at the same time, as I could of just about managed that. I've been drowning my sorrows out on my bike. Another nice 31m ride today, in warm, hazy conditions and hit 44.9mph on one of the downhills. So no lingering psychological scars from my collarbone injury.

30/03/2014 at 21:57

Sorry to hear that simon, but sounds sensible for the achilles.  Biking at 45mph sounds a great way to drown the marathon sorrows.

Great half Col - looking good for VLM for you.

Likewise chick - thats a great last long run to have in the bag. Is that 11 20+'s? 

Sheesh Daren!

O4S - you just get faster everytime you run that race.  Nice one.

Fast stuff Nell - hope you avoid the DOMS

Glad you had a good run minni - guess as long as you go fast VLM will be fine!  Yep, I didnt feel good in the chandos last year.  Hope that gutter doesnt remember me this year...

20 done.  I find it so hard getting out the door to do these.  7 weeks since my last long run so I just wanted get in the 20 without having too much to recover from.  Hot day here in east London so went nice and slow, and took a route with lots of water fountains.  Ran first 7.5M with BH at 9.45's, then ran the rest gradually going from 8.45 - 8.15's, and made 5 stops for water and stretching.  So its done, body feels OK, but am starting to doubt the sense in my plan of going out at 3.20 pace for VLM when I'm clearly not in that shape.  

Edited: 30/03/2014 at 21:57
30/03/2014 at 23:48

Simon- pity about Manchester but as a fellow Achilles sufferer I can understand why you've made the decision to DNS. Plenty of time for marathons ,it's more important to recover. At last you can cycle and keep your fitness and get your thrills flying down the hills. Frighteningly fast! Getting nervous about Liverpool now. Great result today . 

KFC- you know you can do the marathon now so it's just a matter of surviving the pain. It was very warm in London today  Hope it's not like that in two weeks. 

back from London late so only just completed a 10k av 7.35 mm to bring up 61 miles for the week. 

Opened the post to find a nice little cup for my M55 victory at Liverpool HM last week and £25 of vouchers.  Nice way to finish the week end. 

31/03/2014 at 09:55

(((Simon))) - right decision though. Bigger picture and all that. I think you have recovered amazingly well from that brutal bike crash and have managed some decent running, basically starting from scratch. Time to let the achilles settle and then build up for an autumn marathon. Do you know what triggered it? Was it just an accumulation of high mileage or maybe a shoe/gait issue? 44.9 mph ?? I'm never brave enough on the downhills to see such numbers

Minni: I'm glad you had a good one. Let's hope that whatever bug you had in the system has hit the road. I'm sure the hip will settle during the taper.

2old: nice surprise from the postie there. Cotton wool time for us now, right? I will do more MP work too. The way I felt after those 1k reps last week scared me. I just about avoided disaster methinks. Rest day today

O4S: top racing! Especially running away from your imaginary rival Here's a tip for sub 37, a very simple one: just don't do a 20 and 30 miler with 7000 ft of ascent a few days prior

Excellent running, Daren. I also think you could do a cheeky spring mara in May ...

Nell: nice running . Running so slow felt strange at first but after a few miles I settled into a rhythm and let my low HR entertain me

31/03/2014 at 10:04
SImon - that's such a shame But sensible decision.

kfc - that's still a pretty quick YKW! Only another 7 and a bit of those and you'll have the marathon done

Minni - glad your hip stood up to the run. Now cotton wool time!

O4S - another barnstorming performance

Col - great HM

Chick - very strong 22 there...lots of confidence for the Boston Hills

Nice running Nell and Jack

AA - well done with the 2k reps....they hurt!

15 miles for me yesterday - gorgeous weather, just enough of a breeze to stop it feeling over warm. 6 easy this morning. 210 miles in March, a little down on the same month last year but I knew that would be the case.
31/03/2014 at 11:42

Simon - sorry to hear about the DNS - but you don't want to aggravate the achilles.

Minni - good to hear that you are feeling more positive.

And fine running from just about everyone!

Did 14 miles on Sunday with a nasty hangover to bring up the grand total of 227 for March, which I think is a record for me  Didn't do the race because I was worried about my foot niggle - I have been icing it  diligently and it seems to have hopefully sorted it out.

31/03/2014 at 13:05

Yes, I could do a spring marathon, but no, I'm not going to! I can't see how it could do anything but harm my chances of a good time in October.

Minni, great to hear you're back on track and looking promising for VLM.

Shame to hear you've had to pull out though Simon, but sounds a sensible decision.

Nice mileage Ant and great racing again O4S.

31/03/2014 at 13:06

Chick-too right..cottonwool from now on. 

Ant- longish runs work wonders for hangovers. Looks like you'll be 100% for London now the foot seems to be fixed 

free- nice longish run and March total. A few miles here or there won't matter. It was the few extra that did me in last year .

31/03/2014 at 13:14

300.52 miles for me    I bet Bro did more though

31/03/2014 at 14:52

Chick -gulp-epic-think the prize is yours-how many since Jan 1st? I havent finished the month yet but wont be anywhere near

Whats the view about adjusting the diet during the taper?Should I go for the small fries with my quarter pounder now?

Edited: 31/03/2014 at 15:16
31/03/2014 at 15:43

837.7    maybe I should go for a 2.3 mile jog tonight to make it 840??

Yeah, the small fries sound sensible

31/03/2014 at 17:45

Chickadee - great 22m run by you. You held the marathon pace well on a tough hilly section

2old / AA - I am thinking 3:12 as a target for VLM. Try to go thtough half way in about 1:35 and hope not to fade too much in the 2nd half.

kfc -  nice parkrun and well done on getting the 20m run in

Daren - very fast last few miles in your 20.

Barry - I have gone slightly faster in a half marathon but my garmin only measured 13.05m then even though the course was certified as being accurately measured. Saturday's measured 13.21 so I am taking that as a honest pb.

Jack - good long run

O4S - well done on the PB

Minni -  that is great news!

Nell - excellent 18m run from you. I was a keen a footballer a few years back. I still miss it!

Simon - sorry to hear that, but it does sound like the right decision     

31/03/2014 at 18:36

Simon - Probably the right decision, aim for an autumn Mara, Chester? 

minni- Good news.

Chick - wow, monster mileage.

2old - NIce to get some bling, one for the trophy cabinet.

Daren - take it as a complement, we think you are capable of a good time now given your excellent form. 

First bit of quick running in  about 7 weeks for me this afternoon. 6 miles with middle 4 fast, v happy with 6:30,6:35,6:31,6:25 for effort miles.

31/03/2014 at 19:33

Chick- did you do the extra 2.3? Shame not to .

Barry- my cabinet is going to look pretty bare unless I borrow some of O4S 's overspill. Must feel good letting rip with that sort of speed. I felt very sluggish today 

col-I'd be tempted to try and get half way in 1.34 as it gives you just a little more leeway. I've done. 3.10xx and 3.11xx and on both occasions half was 1.34.

Finished March with a MLR at 7.41mm av. It was hard going for some reason . Total for month 291 and for the year 749... Chick maybe I should have done one extra tonight 

31/03/2014 at 20:14

Blimey, where to start...

Simon - Sorry to hear about the DNS, but definitely the right thing to do... I'd NEVER run a marathon injured! In all seriousness though, i haven't really run since London last year due to my own stupidity.

O4S - Nice sensible (for you) taper i see!

Col - Wow, great half.

Chick - Nice long run, and huge miles for the month.

Daren - Has hell frozen over and the sea's boiled since i've been away??? Are you doing a (whisper it) m-a-r-a-t-h-o-n this Autumn? Jeez... I must have been given more Morphine than i thought!

Minni - Not wishing to repeat myself, but as your hip eases off the faster you go, i would have thought that 7 min/miles was the obvious way to go at VLM!

DD - Don't let your creaks turn into snap, crackles or pops! Take it easy.

Apologies if i've missed anyone... There's so much good running going on!

Moving on from good running to bad running, i went out yesterday with the OH for a very gentle jog/walk. IT WAS HIDEOUS!

First mile was at about 10 min/mi pace (according to some delirious phone app that the OH swears by) and had to stop and walk for about 400 metres. Managed to get going again and did approx another 1.5 miles, but every impact felt like someone was driving a nail into my knee with a sledgehammer! 

Oh well, back on the bike and in the pool... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

31/03/2014 at 20:29

Oomp- chuckled when you said you'd never run injured. Some of us here still have a few memory cells left despite the alcohol. Best not to rush back and stick to the pool and bike. 

31/03/2014 at 20:35

Sorry to hear about the half Smon but it maybe wise.

Nice run there Free

Minni your sounding positive which is great 

Blimey Chick fantastic mileage

Congratulations 2old

Good to see you back Oompa

4 mile tempo run @ lunchtime today - that mm is starting to creep down. Disappointed that I had to go back to work as I was really enjoying the run.

31/03/2014 at 20:40

Hi Simon, Sorry to hear you have to pull out, but I suppose better than causing further injury....

Hi kfc, Hopefully after the taper you will feel better, to answer your question. I was up at 2am stretching....it caught up on me, knew it would!

Hi freemers, the breeze was warming me yesterday! It is amazing the weather difference..

Hi Minni, Glad to hear you have had a better run and are feeling better in yourself.

Hi Oompa, What was/is your injury?

Hi 2old, Unfortunately the form Mr Suarez is in, I can see him tearing England apart, which will upset all those fans who are wearing their £90 replica tops!

Easy recovery run for me this morning, 4 miles and later some S&C in the gym with the grunters

31/03/2014 at 20:53

Apologies Simon - sorry to hear about your Marathon.

31/03/2014 at 21:11

Go O4S! That's a brilliant result from your 5M race. Rival left eating your dust! Nothing like a bit of dry heaving at the end of a race.

Chick - get that hoodie bought! It's a souvenir Good work on the 22M, has that made your mind up for a target for Boston? 

Col that's some going in your half marathon only a week after racing the last one.  Easy now until London!

Nothing worse than getting bored on a 20M run Daren! Nice fast finish.

Sorry to hear you're deferring Simon but it's definitely the best plan.

Some good running from you at the weekend kfc, nothing like a bit of cramming! Are you tapering now?

Back on it Minni! Good stuff. The marathon is your distance, it would be such a shame to not race it.

You've recovered well by the sound of it Barry.  Stick at it with the swim training!

You're hilarious Oompa, I love how you describe your antics! Hope your knee is feeling a bit better after the hideous run...

The grunters in the gym are entertaining Nell!

5M race done yesterday in 33:59.  The pre-Barcelona target was sub-33, revised to sub-34 last week.  Only just made it!  Would love to have a good crack at that distance with fresh legs.  Anyway, it was nice to get a bit of quicker stuff done.  Going to get a bit of speedier stuff done this week, bring back the track!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.