RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

35,641 to 35,660 of 37,584 messages
01/04/2014 at 09:37

Wow Barry, smokin‘ miles there yesterday. How’s
the calf these days? Hope it settled.

2old: that’s a lot of miles too, in fact, only 2 trendy 5s less than I did.
And no, I didn’t go out yesterday. I’m just so effing glad my body coped with
those miles and a rest day was more than overdue.

carrot: brilliant 5 miler. Your speed is just mindboggling, especially so soon after Barca. I doubt I could go much under 35 mins right now and I’m at peak marathon fitness
Boston pace. Hm. All my MP runs in the past 2-3 weeks were around 7:24 pace. And as much as I would love to go sub 3:15 I don’t think I’m quite there yet. I’m also very respectful of the Boston course. Last Sunday’s MP run over the hills gave me some confidence but it was only 7 miles :-/. It’s so difficult to get this right. I’m probably going to keep my pace somewhere between 7:30 and 7:35.

Oh hell, Oomps. That doesn’t sound good. Did they give you the all clear to run
yet or was it just your own stubbornness that made you go out and try some
running?

pink: your running is really coming along nicely. Sub 2 HM in the autumn maybe?

Nell: LOL re. grunters. They can be quite entertaining

FRC: sorry to hear about your tonsillitis. Freemers is right. Better rest up for a bit. You don't want to jeopardise Comrades.

Minni: glad you are back on track for London. I was getting a little worried...

01/04/2014 at 09:39

LONDON:
Green Start:

Minni - 28513   A- 3:12; B- sub 3:15, C- to finish
Freemers - 28451 (I think, need to double check)  A-3.12; B-3.14.59, C-3.16.19 (a one second PB).  No pressure!

BOSTON:
2Old- 7976 wave1/8  A- 3.10; B-3.15; C-3.20 (all just under)
Chick - 13636 wave2/5 A: as close to 3:15 as possible; B sub 3:20; C: sub 3:24:36 (PB)

01/04/2014 at 11:06
Great running everyone! My right calf (old injury) is still a bit sore from Sunday's run. I'm trying to think if it's any more sore than usual after a LSR, or if it's just taper mind games/paranoia.

LONDON:
Green Start:
Minni - 28513 A- 3:12; B- sub 3:15, C- to finish
Freemers - 28451 (I think, need to double check) A-3.12; B-3.14.59, C-3.16.19 (a one second PB). No pressure!

Blue Start:
Jack - 6798 A- 3:29:59 B- 3:40 C- Finish (still a PB)

BOSTON:
2Old- 7976 wave1/8 A- 3.10; B-3.15; C-3.20 (all just under)
Chick - 13636 wave2/5 A: as close to 3:15 as possible; B sub 3:20; C: sub 3:24:36 (PB)
Edited: 01/04/2014 at 11:11
01/04/2014 at 11:09

FRC-I guess your immune system must be low post marathons(is it 3 ? !!!!)  as any sane person would expect. Look at the long game and recover 100% and think very carefully before giving in to the temptation of Manchester

Chick-excellent targets for Boston.Yes the (up)hills have to be respected but as you know,the course is nett down hill and as long as the quads are ready for a hammering the combination of ups and downs can produce pleasing results. Looking at your wave and corral its starngeto think I may have started 45 mins or so before you

O4S- tris will rehabilitate me from running OCD.Man V Horse? Bogs and rain in Wales-just a normal day out for you then?

Nell-there are a few of those in my gym and I have to smile when they photograph each others swollen muscles in the changing room after each session

Daren-FRC may be right about going stale- maybe use the first as a marker so that in your ' A' marathon you nail it 100%. Remember the guys here will be pretty unforgiving if you dont go easily sub3 -no pressure. Im feeling the pressure Mo must be under-his first marathon in a very impressive field.

01/04/2014 at 12:18

it's because you are so much faster, 2old

Believe it or not, I can feel my quads from Sunday's run. But despite feeling strong, I know I went way too hard. I'm hoping that my slighlty easier target pace range will see me through.

I'm going to do some more hill stuff over the next few weeks, but nothing long. Was thinking of mile reps @ MP, trying to ease off on the uphills and hit the gas on the downhills.

01/04/2014 at 13:17

Minni - and most importantly the harriers vest is much nice than wooler's

Foot appears to be fine, just paranoid about colds at the moment. Keep thinking I have a sore throat coming on. Hopefully just my imagination.

Will add to list later when fully decided, but thinking 3:19 as A target

01/04/2014 at 15:04

Chick-I didnt feel fast last night. The same last training run options keep going around in my head .Trouble is the end of this week looks very busy for me and Im wondering how to fit the runs in.All I do know is that apart from a couple of runs from next week on its taper big time-this old body needs a rest

Ant-no reason to have a sore throat-the sun is shining and winter is over. Cant we prod you into a slightly faster A target and 3.19 as your B target?Youve definately got it in you.

01/04/2014 at 15:18

The Wooler one is easier to spot in a race but the Harrier's one is cooler, Ant.

Btw, has anyone tried those clip-things as advertised on FB to replace pins?  A friend has them and they are really good.  Thought I might pick some up at the Expo if there's any about.  Also going to visit the saucony stand and see if I need a different shoe in light of my recent niggles.  I've been wearing the same model for about 3-4 years so might need a bit of adjustment.

I'll be doing expo on Friday PM.

01/04/2014 at 15:21
Leave Daren alone you guys - I think he is doing the right thing. His mind is on October and he will nail it then

Last hard tempo done - 7 miles with 4 @ MP-10secs. Just one interval set left on Friday - going to do 400m reps to get some leg speed going.
01/04/2014 at 15:23

Agree, 2old - Ant's target is too soft . I wouldn't worry about fitting the runs in - do them when you have time and if not, so be it. The hard work is done. I'm pretty relaxed about the next 3 weeks. Today I should have done 8 with strides but only did 6 and no strides. Didn't feel like it. Maybe tomorrow.

Minni: nooo shooos sound like a good idea, just don't try anything new on race day

01/04/2014 at 15:24

xpost Freemers: nice one

01/04/2014 at 16:13

Thanks Freemers and Minni, at least a couple of you on here talk sense

Seriously though, I'm (hopefully) nowhere near peaking yet - although I've put in a couple of big weeks, my mileage so far this year is only 450-ish, which works out at about 35 on average, and is not even in the same ballpark as some of you (Chick - how the hell do you fit all that in?!). Plan is to get that up to a consistent 50mpw for the next few months - mainly base training, apart from club sessions - and then I'll be ready for a marathon schedule to peak for the last few months. I know I run the risk of getting injured before then or something, and wasting the fitness I've got at the moment, but that's a risk I'm happy to take if it means I have more chance of running my best in October.

Anyway, exciting times with everyone setting their targets for VLM etc. I'm going to be there watching so will cheer you as you go past and hopefully meet up for a drink after. One of my OH's mates' boyfriends is running too, so will be supporting him too. I have a feeling he might need the support...his longest run so far is 8 miles

Nice 5-miler btw Carrot!

01/04/2014 at 16:24

we are only teasing, Daren   it's good fun. As for finding the time: just get up at stupid o'clock and it's no problem

A marathon off a long run of 8 miles???   Ouch, but he's going to ride the hurt train pretty damn hard

01/04/2014 at 17:02

Nell - How long have you got??? I will summarise... Both knees are buggered and had left knee patella reshaped and arthroscopy last September, and the same to the right knee in Jan with the added extra of nerve damage and a torn cartilage to be going on with... Well you asked!

Minni - You'd better change your avatar... Turncoat! I'm trying to get of something that the OH has arranged, so that i can get up to London, so hopefully will see you all in Chandos.

Simon - No, i think they've run out of things to do! Sorry to hear the saucy carbon no. had to go back.

FRC - That's one hell of an ibuprofen if it lasts until now!!!

Free - Only a 4 minute window between A & C target? As you state, no pressure!

O4S - Whassa rolavator??? Sounds like some medieval torture implement... I'm liking the bells and pink ribbons thing, but may just go the whole hog and quit running for... Morris dancing!

Chick - What do you think? Ask me no questions and i'll tell you no lies!!

Carrot - Nice speedy trendy five.

01/04/2014 at 18:20

Hi 2old, That will be the posers with the cameras then ;0) and I hear what you say about the other Liverpool guys....

Hi Freemers, You sound in great shape, what is your target?

Hi Oompa, Ouch, yes I did ask. That sounds painful, very painful!

01/04/2014 at 18:24

Chick- guess your right to just go with the flow from now on

Daren- yes only joking. Best to do it when you feel ready as its always tough when you put everything into it

Oomp- you have been to hell and back and there again 

looks like everyone will be at Chandos running or not...next year!!! Without fail!

Just completed 8.6 miles at MP and as always seemed tough and I wonder how I will be able to make it last another 17+? Very warm too ,so hope it's cooler for you London runners and us in Boston .Either way it's a good idea to do some miles in the heat to prepare. 

Edited: 01/04/2014 at 18:26
01/04/2014 at 18:43
Beautiful warm day on the south coast today, and with the clocks going forward over the weekend the sun was still high in the sky when I got home from work at 4pm so I was straight out to enjoy it. The sun makes everything better!

I'd been thinking today that I haven't timed myself over 10k since November when I injured myself, so did exactly that instead of the planned 7m w/ strides, after a bit of a warm up. My previous best was 45:18 so I was pretty pleased to clock a 43:49 on a route that is far from flat. There can't be any harm in running some hard miles while tapering can there?
01/04/2014 at 21:22

Jack-it's when you do a training 10k and knock out a time like that you realise that marathon training actually works. Nice going.

only 11 days to VLM I believe. Getting nervous/excited?

01/04/2014 at 21:34

LONDON:
Green Start:
Minni - 28513 A- 3:12; B- sub 3:15, C- to finish
Freemers - 28451 (I think, need to double check) A-3.12; B-3.14.59, C-3.16.19 (a one second PB). No pressure!

O4S - 29786  A- 3.51 [post 60 PB] B-sub 4.00, C sub GFA

Blue Start:
Jack - 6798 A- 3:29:59 B- 3:40 C- Finish (still a PB)
Mr O4S  2406  A - sub 4.15, B sub 5.00 [GFA for 2016] C - survive

BOSTON:
2Old- 7976 wave1/8 A- 3.10; B-3.15; C-3.20 (all just under)

01/04/2014 at 21:39

The countdown is on! Targets are being set!  Anyone going mad yet?  Any dreams? Get stocked up on the antibacterial handwash!

Why a reserve for the relays Minni? I'm down for those too! Parsnip isn't going to be doing London, too much training missed and not enough guarantee that his ankle will make it round 26 miles! He's gone through the grieving process and is now at acceptance We're still going down for the weekend away.  I'm not running either!  Brave move re: clubs, but surely the right choice.  That profile picture might need updating...

Freemers - no pressure at all, trust your training. 

O4S nothing pedestrian at all about your time, 88%?!  I did enjoy the distance, have another 5M lined up for the summer.  Man V Horse sounds right up your street

Chick I'm sure you've ran under 35 mins for 5 miles in a training run... wait til the taper kicks in, fresh legs make a world of difference.

Great use of time while you were waiting for the passport DD. Much more interesting than a helideck too!

FRC you know you shouldn't be running a marathon this weekend, even if it is slow.  Rest up a bit and look after yourself, get rid of the lurgy, come back stronger.

Jack I like to get a 10K race in two weeks out from a marathon... nice time trial! I take it the calf was OK after that?

2old the grunters photographs their swollen muscles in the changing rooms after a session?! Crumbs!

Daren I agree, stick to your guns!  Your friend is in for a fun time a week on Sunday....

Return to the track tonight with speedy friend who ran sub-20 5K at the weekend.  We did 6 x 400m followed by 6 x 200m.  HARD WORK! 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.