RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

37,021 to 37,040 of 37,584 messages
08/08/2014 at 23:40

Hi o4s, Not meaning to sound like a grumpy old man, but that is all people do now, is no matter what event they are at, they spend all their time looking at their phone. I was at a Peter Gabriel concert at the Hydro in Glasgow last year and the couple next to me were either talking to each other or updating their facebook? I did feel like giving them a shake

Hi kfc, Enjoy the taper :0)

Hi DD, Ah running in the sun. Do a couple of miles for me!

Hi Freemers, Nice tempo, is it coming back now, sounds like it?

Newcastle won your vote then Minni, never mind ;0)

Hi Barry, Nice mix up of runs and nice HMP splits. How are you finding fitting everything in?

Hi Chick, Hopefully all those summer miles will be worth it when you get to Turin ;0)

Hi Pink, Bad luck on the bike, that is why I just stick to running, I find it hard enough to stay standing with both feet on the ground!

I have got the Haddington HM tomorrow at 14:00. Not the best prep tonight. Last night without the kids as they were away with their Grandparents this week and back tomorrow, Rest day, so I had the afternoon off and my wife and I went to see a show at the fringe in Edinburgh. Got out and it was peeing down, so we got the bus home after a coffee and I had the carbs in form of pasta , but then we sat down with the wine and chocolate  (my wife did remind me I had a HM the next day, as I started the second glass) Not sure how I will go tomorrow, not feeling like a PB in any way shape or form, might just enjoy the ride

09/08/2014 at 09:28

kfc - Well done on the 20, 110 miles on the bike is a very long way is it an organised event?

Nell - Good luck with HM today, I'm liking your prep. Making the most of it while the kids are away . No problem fitting all the training in our daughters are 15 and 19, and being a shift worker is sometimes a benefit training wise and of course Pink is very understanding/supportive.

Chick - Good pace on your run.

DD - I'm enjoying the challenge of swimming and the bike.  To be honest I'm not going to get any/much quicker at the marathon so good to have a new aim.  Good your mojo is back.

Freemers - looking good on your comeback.

15 miles yesterday afternoon, a bit warm, 10 slow then 5 at MP splits for effort miles 7:10,7:29,7:15,7:09,7:00 too quick on the last couple.  Woke up this morning and right achilles a bit sore, out on the bike for 35 miles all OK but could n't get out of the saddle on the hills as achilles grumbling.  Off to the pool this afternoon for swimming practice.

Edited: 09/08/2014 at 09:29
09/08/2014 at 10:21
Good luck Nell.

Oh yeah, people and their effing mobiles (angry face). They can't even get through dinner in a restaurant without checking Facebook every 5 mins. Why?? To read that one of their FB "friends" had a successful bowel movement????
Rant over

Trendy 5 for me this morn. Half a mile from home the heavens opened and I got completely drenched. At least it was warm rain
09/08/2014 at 10:22
Forgot to say: Nice tempo, Freemers
09/08/2014 at 10:26

Grüezi back from a visit to see my cousin in Switzerland.

Minni - great to see you back into it. i've now got my passport back, Mr Kiwi is still waiting (2 years on..!!) for his visa to be stamped in.

Barry - a nice 15 miles there

Nell - good luck for your half.

Freemers - great to see you back onto it too, hope the foot behaves!

D.D - sounds like you are having a blast in Spain.

Pink - hope your running mojo comes

09/08/2014 at 10:34

back soon!

K.F.C - good to get the 20 done, enjoy your taper.

Chick - back to monster miles, sounding good.

O4S - how annoying, some people!

so in betwern heading away for a few days i cycled to gym Mon, did Pilates, cycled home, intervals early Tues before flying out and managed 11.5 miles yesterday afternoon with 5 tempo miles in the middle. Tempo at the moment starts with an 8 for me, but was just happy to up the pace + not feel sore, hopefully heading in the right direction!

09/08/2014 at 11:38

Morning All,

Have finally managed to string a few runs together without pain, so felt able to put my head above the parapet so to speak and (hopefully) feel like a runner again.

Haven't had time for a full read back, so don't know who's doing which races but it looks like there's still some serious mileage being accumulated.

Had a wry smile at Nell's 7.55 min/ml recovery run... I did 5 miles on Thursday with 800m intervals, and the "fast" bits were 7.45 min/ml!!!

At this rate i'll be back up to speed by London... 2020!   

09/08/2014 at 18:43

Hi Oonpa, Good to hear from you and glad to hear you are managing to run without any pain. I am sure it will not be long until the speed comes back. Really glad to hear it is coming together again though

Hi kiwi, Nice mix there, you certainly sound like you are in the right direction, not heading!

Hi Chick, I suppose that is the advantage of the warm weather, the rain is warm

Hi Barry, Nice 15, last 3 progressively fast which is good ?

Well I ran the Haddington HM today. Race did not start until 14:00 and sod's law it was the warmest day of the week. Into the 20's and in places a pretty strong breeze. Not that I can use that as any excuse, I was ill prepared for this run and getting into the fourth mile felt it. I was pretty much dehydrated throughout the run. After mile 4 just decided to not push as much as I really should have. It wasn't a bad run and I managed to get into a bit of rhythm with the pace in places. It is a bit up and down in places but some nice scenery and I actually managed to enjoy the scenery more than I did last year  Average pace 7:10, splits: 6:34,6:42,6:43,7:23,7:26,7:06,7:12,7:17,7:36,7:32,7:14,7:32,6:57,0:43. Unofficial time 1:34:02. That was one minute, fifteen seconds slower than last year... Well I have the Scottish HM next month so will look forward to that and try and prepare a bit better for that one. No wine and chocolates the night before

Funny how the chart makes it look not as bad!

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/754569/gallery/capture_0.png?width=350

Edited: 09/08/2014 at 18:45
10/08/2014 at 10:10
Great to see you, Oomps glad you are pain free.

Nice HM, Nell. 7:10 is my HM PB pace but I feel miles away from it at the mo. First 20 miler since Boston today. Feck, but 20 miles is a looooong way ....
10/08/2014 at 16:21

Oompa - welcome back, good to hear you are pain free, take it easy to start with and your speed will return.

Kiwi - Very good mixed training from you.

Nell - Good run over a lumpy course, racing long distance in the heat is no fun.

Chick - Not sure from your post if you had done the 20 or were going to go out. So either well done or how did it go?

Swimming went Ok yesterday, my Achilles is making me limp but no problems in the pool and back in the pool again today, managed 4 lengths continuous for the first time so first target for August ticked off but breathing to the left - not so good.

10/08/2014 at 18:55

Oompa - great to see you back

nice half in the heat Nell.

Barry - hope the achilles settles.

Chick - i hear you about the long runs! waited till the hail, strong winds, lightening + rain had passed (3pm) then ventured out for 17 slow miles. i actually felt like my legs were dieing in the last 4 miles, guess they still had Friday's 11 in them :-/

10/08/2014 at 20:26

O4S I'm supposed to be running Bristol HM as well - will see as not sure if I want to at the moment

Nell Congratulations on the HM

Oompa Welcome back, great to hear from you

Nice one Kiwi & Chick

Took KFC & Kiwi's advice & went for a run although did take the Garmin but only to see how many miles I would mange - 6 in total without stopping which was better than where I have been. Went for a swim yesterday afternoon & timed myself swimming 400 meters. Also had a couple of races with Barry, I reckoned 1 was a draw & I won one but he think's he beat me on one of the lengths!

Went swimming again today & practiced tumble turning. If I do a tri I need to sort out my turns. Came home & decided to go out on the bike & managed 6 miles on the road unclipping at junctions & didn't fall off once - yeaahhh!

10/08/2014 at 20:26
Edited: 10/08/2014 at 20:38
10/08/2014 at 23:22

Thanks for the comments guys.

I'm not completely pain free yet but it is getting better and i've put in a lot of hard graft at the gym to strengthen my quads (specifically my vmo), so as to stabilise the knees which seems to be doing the trick, but it still takes a good 1.5 - 2 miles for the little sod hammering my knee caps to bugger off and then i'm pain free. 

Just back from a lovely head torch 10 miler @ 9.11, which is the the first time into double digits since VLM'13. No swelling to report, so very pleased.

Barry - How's the Tri training coming along? Have you crossed over to the dark side yet and actually done one?

Chick - What race are you training for?

Kiwi - Are you completely injury free now (instantly regrets asking the question, so crosses fingers and hopes he hasn't unleashed the curse of Oompa)?

10/08/2014 at 23:29

Forgot to say... Nice half Nell. 

Hill at 3 miles looks tough and if you didn't feel "race ready", i'd say that 1.34 is a very respectable time.

What's your half pb?

11/08/2014 at 08:42
Great to see you back Oompa

kfc - enjoy the taper

Chick - hope the 20 miler went well

Nell - that's a good time in the heat. 3 seconds quicker than my PB anyway!

Pink - sounds like you're putting together some good training. Have you got a tri in mind?

Kiwi - well done on the long run

So Saturday I ventured to the gym for a treddie interval session. Managed 6 x 800 @ 6.57 pace, and they felt really tough, but hopefully the speed will come back. Yesterday was 11 miles, pretty windy and a few heavy showers along the way, but glad to get it done.
11/08/2014 at 09:32

Barry: By the time I posted I'd already done the 20 miler, hence my comment . I've done a few 17.5 mile runs which felt OK, but those extra 2.5 were tough yesterday. It had warmed up considerably in the final hour. But hey, it's miles in the bank, albeit very slow miles. Hope your achilles settles.

Oompa: I'm toying with the idea of the Turin marathon in November.

Good running there kiwi and Freemers.

pink: seems the idea of running "naked" helped

11/08/2014 at 10:55
Hi Chick, nice 20, Turin sounds a nice idea ;0)
Hi Barry, Prob best to ease off the pace on the running this week with the archilles eh? A chance for a bit more swimming?
Nice 17 kiwi, sound as though you are well and truly back on track ;0)
Hi Pink, Well done on getting out. Good that you are pushing out of you comfort zone inspirational stuff ;0) I went out with my wife last Thursday and ran the first 6 with her. She toughed it out and felt good for it after. she had lost the mojo a bit. Then She went and stubbed her toe on a shopping trolley!
Hi Oompa, my HM PB is 1:30:32, yes I got the result I deserved really ....wise advise from Barry, slowly does it ;0)
Hi Freemers, nice interval and 11 mile sessions. The speed seems to be creeping back in and I am sure it will not be long until you are back to normal ..
Yesterday and today easy to moderate 4 mes from me. Bit of a progressive run this morning, 8:00,7:50,7:40,7:30. Slightly faster than prescribed, but I just felt like playing ;0)
11/08/2014 at 12:27

Chick - Not heard much about Turin. Flat/hilly? The carb loading will be a doddle!

Free - Nice intervals. I've turned my previous hatred of dreadmills into unmitigated love, as they...

a) Are much softer/better on ze joints

b) Don't have have potholes, rabbit holes, horse sh*t etc. on them

c) They're really interesting  to run on... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 

My calves are on fire this morning as a consequence of a change in running gait, changing to Kinvaras and yesterday's 10! 

11/08/2014 at 13:14

Kinvaras rule, Oompa

Oompa wrote (see)

Chick - Not heard much about Turin. Flat/hilly? The carb loading will be a doddle!

The carb loading factor played an important part in my choice. And the course is pancake flat, I think even with a slightly downhill start. Most importantly though: it will not be hot
Right now it's just an idea though. Haven't signed up as I wanted to see how my back will cope with increased mileage.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.