RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

15,841 to 15,860 of 37,338 messages
06/05/2012 at 11:45

Wahey Daren, you da man

And well done Becs!!

06/05/2012 at 11:49

Excellent Daren, knew you'd do it.

Well done Becs, and sorry you're disappointed - don't be. Didn't you say you were feeling your fittest for a few years?

Looking forward to your race reports.

06/05/2012 at 11:59
Brilliant both of you! You weren't shit!

Come on carrot - almost there!
06/05/2012 at 12:02
I'm off to Germany now on a work trip

Back Tuesday evening. I have no idea how much internet access I will have or how much running there will be. Will check in to see Carrot's sub 3:20 time shortly.
06/05/2012 at 12:02
Don't seem to be getting DarenF updates. How did he do ?????

Well done BecsA.
The theme continues. Carrot will be entering the section of pain right now. Fingers crossed.
06/05/2012 at 12:43

Carrot - thinking of you and waiting to hear how it went!

06/05/2012 at 12:57

Well done Becs and Daren!!! 

Not so well done chick . Well, actually the good news is: 1st lady.

The bad news: it was an XC race. And it wasn't 5k . Something like 5.45 or so. Note to self: next time read the race description before you sign up . Finish time 23:28 which I reckon is a PB over that distance in an XC race

First k started on grass, then hit a tarmacked cycle path and went by in 4:00 flat. It was a bit downhill, which helped. Then we hit a potholed, gravelly forest track with potholes so deep they would swallow a small car . Not many marshals about and I went the wrong way at one junction. Some Nordic Walker ladies kindly pointed out that I was possibly going in the wrong direction... so back I went and spotted a mahoosive signpost Not quite sure how I could have missed that on the way out. But I missed the next k markers, if there were any. It's a small field, just a dozen runners so there's no-one in front as the two fast boys have long gone and there's no-one behind either. As there isn't really any competition to spur me on I'm sticking in my comfort zone. Working hard ish but not uncomfortably so. Wish I had taken my XC shoes! As it were, I was running in my Fastwitches and they have VERY thin soles. Ouch . Wimp!!! Some stones are rather sharp and bore themselves uncomfortably into my feet. C'mon, wimp Finally hitting tarmac again. Oh, the relief! Now it's about 500m of incline back to where we started. Digging deep now - funny how hills always seem twice as steep when you have to run up but I want this horrible thing over now!!!  So much, that I forgot to stop my watch as I cross the finish line. Idiot! The MC confirms that I'm 1st lady home and I even win something for the trophy cabinet. I reckon I should be happy but I feel a bit short changed somehow as I really wanted to rock up and run a fast road 5k and possibly a PB. There's nothing around here for months now so that PB will have to wait. Onwards and upwards. Tomorrow will be day one of my official HM training plan. Bring it on!!!

Now routing for carrot. Go girl, go go go!!!

Edited: 06/05/2012 at 12:58
06/05/2012 at 13:02
Oh wow so many well done.
Daren - knew you would do it. Fantastic.
Becs - don't be disappointed you ran hard and trained well. Great effort.
Chick - amazing first lady. Well done. Great report.

Carrot - come in girl!!!
06/05/2012 at 13:03
1st lady wow !!!!!!!! And a 5.45k pb!!!!!!!
06/05/2012 at 13:12
Well done Chick, sounds like a tough event and a trophy is always nice!
Well done Becs too - don't be disappointed, like you say you're just getting back to full fitness and thats a great run considering.
Go Carrot!
06/05/2012 at 13:46

Go Carrot!

Daren, brilliant 10k well done.

Chick 1st lady is fantastic!  Shame the race wasn't quite what you wanted though.

06/05/2012 at 14:02

Thanks all for comments. I'd been hoping for around 1:50-1:52 which would be a bit slower than my PB, but didn't think breaking my PB was likely based on how the training had gone. I'm only a couple of minutes outside that, but did a 1:55.37 last year off very little training so a bit disappointed to not have improved by more. After the last few days not sure if I was at 100% but I don't think I was much off.

Planning now to have a couple of recovery weeks and hopefully do a bit of cycling. Need the mental break as much as anything! Then start P&D to build up to Chicago. I should have more fitness to come, and I still have got what I wanted out the half in some ways as I've usually started marathon training with very little fitness.

06/05/2012 at 14:18

So race report...

Mile 1 8:54 HR 176
Start was very congested and was virtually walking after the start line. Garmin showing over 12 min miles 0.1 miles in! It gradually got better but it was a bit of a shame as there was a downhill nearly straightaway and not the space to use it properly.

Mile 2 8:30 HR 176
Mile 3 8:33 HR 177
At this point around 8:30 felt easier than it had in the 8 mile race and like it was going to be fairly sustainable over the distance.

Mile 4 8:30 HR 178
Caught up with someone here who was really determined not to let me overtake them to the point of doing little sprints. They were breathing a lot harder than me though. It was really tempting to push on to finish them off  but not sensible for the half and knew I'd get them eventually. Finally on about the 5th or 6th time of overtaking them the move stuck!

Mile 5 8:36 HR 179
Mile 6 8:32 HR 178
Mile 7 8:34 HR 182
At around halfway I thought of Carrot, since at the 6 mile to go point she'd have done 20 miles. Pace is slipping a little but not too far off. Course gets quite narrow at one point though as it's just a cycle lane with traffic going past. Despite that some people were running 2 abreast which meant you had to do a bit of a death dash in traffic to overtake.

Cont...

06/05/2012 at 14:35

Mile 8 8:41 HR 181
Mile 9 8:46 HR 182
Mile 10 8:45 HR 182
Into a headwind at this point. Not that strong but noticeable and felt like it was affecting speed. However knew this bit of the course quite well and some of the landmarks which helped break it up.

Mile 11 8:45 HR 182
Mile 12 8:53 HR 184
Mile 13 8:39 HR 185
Final 0.15, 7:36pace HR 191
Hanging in there. Legs felt like jelly. Telling myself it's just a 5k, and I managed that terrible 5k when not feeling well and also just to keep it under 9 min mile pace (which I did - just!). Last mile felt a bit more shelter, and also tried to lift it a bit with half a mile to go but didn't get much more speed. Several corners before the finish, and then only a short straight on grass so difficult to manage much of a sprint.

So overall pacing not great, but okay given the conditions. I think it mentally made it harder to dig in and just be determined to maintain the pace given that the wind was slowing things down anyway. I don't think I could have raced much faster though if I'd paced it differently. I have felt worse in the second part of a half, which I hope is due to better pacing/fitness rather than that I didn't run it fast enough since it didn't feel like I had more in the legs.

Other than that course was good, pretty flat and an interesting route. Well organised - got my bag very quickly and there was somewhere to get changed and showered.

06/05/2012 at 14:40
Quick check in - all went a bit Pete Tong, I collapsed about 20 meters away from the 26 mile marker. Legs were completely shot, a group of lovely people had to haul me back up, I couldn't even stand up! What a nightmare. Hobbled to the finish with all the people who saw me go down cheering me on, time was 3:33:XX I think. Sorry to break the run of PBs team

Will do a race report tomorrow when I'm home, I'm still happy with my finish time and proud of myself for finishing

Massive well done to Daren, we all knew you had sub 40 in you.
06/05/2012 at 14:41

Excellent race report Becs, loved reading of your fight to overtake and shake off the other runner at mile 4, it is so annoying when someone constantly overtakes and then slows down!  Enjoy your well deserved recovery weeks.

Chick - awesome result, 1st lady whoop, whoop!  A shame the race wasn't what you expected but awesome running on what sounded to be a tough course!

06/05/2012 at 14:43

Cross post Carrot - oh no, you poor thing collasping!  Well done for getting back up and crossing the finish line in a very respectable time!  No go and take care of yourself - rest!

06/05/2012 at 14:44
Well done carrot. Hope your ok. 3.33 still am excellent time. Enjoy your well earnt rest and look forward to report
06/05/2012 at 14:54
14th female according to results which means 8 women overtook me when I was on the deck as I was 6th! I didn't cry and I didn't walk, just had a sit down for around 7-8 minutes. My last 1.2 miles averaged 15 minute miles! Currently sat in the pub watching the match, Parsnip is asking the barman if I can use the disabled toilet as I might get stuck upstairs if I go to the ladies
06/05/2012 at 15:02

Carrot what a nightmare, and only 20 metres to go. Still a time to be very happy with and top 20 in the inaugral Sunderland marathon. Hope your legs hold up OK, enjoy the pub.

Becs I love that someone thought it was a good idea to start battling it out for position with 9 miles to go.

15,841 to 15,860 of 37,338 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.