RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

15,961 to 15,980 of 37,499 messages
08/05/2012 at 22:09
I'm flying home Sunday as we were due to be flying to Spain Monday morning. Not going til Tuesday now (angry face!) I will have to leave you all to party on. However as we start at 9 we will all be done by 12:30 and in the pub for 1 whoop whoop! Plenty of time
08/05/2012 at 22:10
Shaggy - my jungfrau marathon training started in January!
08/05/2012 at 22:47
Lol AA! When is the Jungfrau marathon?

My cousin phoned today to invite us over (to Switz) during the summer hols, I am wondering how many days to go for + how to best fit in my marathon training..(don't usually go on holiday during mara training...)

Minni - galleries/museums are all good
09/05/2012 at 08:21
I'm back from Germany. A few days on my feet at a trade fair, sleep depravation and alcohol poisioning. Perfect prep for Sunday's marathon

Freemers - looking forward to seeing you again on Sunday

Carrot - another fantastic report. I wasn't crying, I had something in my eye

Love the look of the one off Great Yarmouth marathon. Not sure I can turn it down. The week before TM though.... Kev - might be a good one for you? Or how about New Forest Marathon, that's a good one.

Minni - I loved the cow story. Most people on here don't know what you do for a living. She's a VET!
09/05/2012 at 08:26

Don't mention feet!!  I am known for the fact that when Mr O4S was persuaded to see my physio a few years ago he told the physio that his wife was one of the guy's clients.  Physio thinks for a minute then famously said 'Lovely lady, horrible feet!'  Mr O4S responded that at least they could agree on the latter.......................Currently I have two large bunions [running shoes width 4E to accommodate them], one black big toe nail, 4 nails completely missing and 3 in the process of attemting to grow back  If we want to clear a bit of space for ourselves after the TM we could all take our shoes and socks off..............

Have just heard that I have been allocated the 'glory leg' for our club team at the National Masters relays on Saturday, so hoping my legs are recovered from the weekend by then

Wine tasting last night - cycled to the place so we could enjoy it, feeling a little hungover this morning.   In retrospect a boiled egg was probably insufficient stomach lining

I am flying up to Newcastle Saturday and going back Monday afternoon - didn't think I would be fit for a 7.10am flight on Monday!!

Minni  you forgot Rotherham in your list of autumn events

09/05/2012 at 09:09

Yay! The King's Lynn results have been updated and my 39:46 is now an official PB I came 73rd out of 1347.

09/05/2012 at 09:37

shaggy t wrote (see)

Freemers - great to see you doing so well on your recovery and the half should be a good race out for you and I am looking forward to seeing how you train for a marathon as, we have not had that pleasure of observing your training for the big one yet.

shaggy - up until now I've really favoured the MIUAYGA schedule, which I seem to have done OK on  but I think if I am going to get to the next level (knocking on the door of 3.15 kinda level) I need to be a bit more serious about it.  Although in the past I've done the quality sessions, I've never really decided until each day exactly what I am going to do.  I'm hoping P&D will at least make me think more in advance about the right mix of paces, reps and recoveries.  Mind you, I have no 3.15 expectations about TM - I'm leaving that to VLM 2013 (fingers crossed!).

minni - that hotel would suit me fine! Should we just agree to each go ahead and book?

spoons - yes, it will be good to catch up.  I may be a little tired - just read the pre-race blurb and realised I will need to leave my house pretty early to make it to the registration on time, plus the pre-race compulsory briefing a whole hour before the start (at least it is an hour before the HM start).

09/05/2012 at 09:39

x-post with daren - yay, that is great news. Brilliant placing as well

09/05/2012 at 10:44

O4S-too much information about your feet-what would Minni prescribe if you were a cow? Just as a matter of interest how many miles have you logged so far this year?

Minni-you have an action packed few months coming up.Im seeing Bruce in Manchester. Will you get a good starting position at GNR to avoid the crowds?

Gul-welcome-I remember you from the 3.15 MM VLM thread in 2010 where you had your own nightmare.Judging by your 10k you are more than recovered.

Red-great confidence building HM. Luton sounds good

Carrot-glad to see all is ok after that shock.

Bro- dont worry now -the work is done rest and be ready for the marathon

Just discovered that my Windermere mile swim clashes with a school event so Im trying to reorganise it for the Saturday before.It would be a pity to see my tedious length swims going to waste. Did a 43minute 10k on the TM last night so it will be interesting to see what happens at the 10k race on Sunday.Now Im regretting the lack of speed and intervals during my VLM training.

DarenF- any tips for my 10k? I believe that once you go sub 40 its less difficult to do it again and knock more time off.But what do I know about that? You should be able to go sub 19 for 5k.

09/05/2012 at 11:06

Not sure really 2Old - don't worry too much about the lack of speedwork during VLM training though, as I've done none whatsoever for 4 months! (saying that, I always had more speed than endurance so depends what sort of runner you are I suppose)
Apart from that, pick a nice, flat course (what's yours like on Sunday?), be lucky with the weather, and just try to run as evenly paced race as possible, that way you should be picking people off in the second half which does wonders for your motivation when it's getting tough.
Apart from that, just keep pushing when it really hurts - the pain doesn't get that much worse after a certain point and it's amazing what pace you can maintain even when your body is yelling at you to stop!
Good luck with it - are you hoping for sub-40 then?

09/05/2012 at 11:26

Daren-Thanks for your advice-its a flat but winding course so may not be ideal. Think Im more of an endurance than speed runner .Interesting what you say about the  pain-I tend to back off after a while so maybe I will try running with it longer and see if I come out the other end.Sub 40 is almost certainly not on the cards this time but I will see if I can get there by August.

09/05/2012 at 11:38

My feet are pretty gross

Kiwi - Jungfrau is 17 weeks on Saturday  September 8th.

I did 5 miles on the tready today. 4m@4% and 1m@5%  all @9 min/mile. Not sure if that's what  I need to be doing or not!

09/05/2012 at 12:13
DarenF wrote (see)

Apart from that, just keep pushing when it really hurts - the pain doesn't get that much worse after a certain point and it's amazing what pace you can maintain even when your body is yelling at you to stop!

I'm not sure I agree with you there Daren....!

AA - what about going to a multistory car park and running up the ramps?

14 with 10 @ MP today, avg 7:25.   It never seems to get any easier. 

09/05/2012 at 12:33

I'm pleased to report the cow has now gone.  Died rather than revived I would think.    Today's dead animals included a baby rabbit, a young barn owl, a hare and a pheasant.  When I say pheasant it was actually only the foot and I thought, at least I can be sure that one is dead.  However, on my return journey I couldn't see it anywhere.... maybe it had walked off.

09/05/2012 at 12:38

Minni-that was a solid 14miler. Your catalogue of death sounds like the road kill I see on my drive to Oswestry.though you omitted the fox and badger.

AA- does that hilly marathon go down aswell? If so dont forget to work on down hill conditioning yourself.-its just as important--Ive read about people who to do thisand  prop the treadmill up at the back .

09/05/2012 at 12:41

You are slightly more obsessed with dead animals than is natural Minni! Nice MP run!

09/05/2012 at 12:55

Its the only company I have when I'm running on my own.  I only spoke to the baby bunny.

M.r Zuvai    pirate
09/05/2012 at 13:04

haha  - i had a stout run alongside me on Sunday carrying a rat that was bigger  than him! cute little bugger - the stout not the rat! 

09/05/2012 at 13:08

Do you mean a stoat?  Stout is beer!  Up here in the frozen north the stoats go white in the winter. 

M.r Zuvai    pirate
09/05/2012 at 13:12

erm - yes a stoat 

15,961 to 15,980 of 37,499 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.