RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

15,961 to 15,980 of 36,989 messages
08/05/2012 at 20:02

Ah right I've worked it out. Anyone else having problems inserting links? Type text (as above), highlight it and this activates the 'link' icon.   Sorted.

Now get your times filled in on da sheet.

08/05/2012 at 20:16

Shaggy - my main target will be the GNR in September where I will try and get sub 1:30 .  My thoughts are a half in July to see where I'm at and a back up one after GNR in case it goes tits up.  Maybe even Norwich.   Over the summer I'll do some 5ks and some 10ks .  I definitely intend doing the TM but not as a main target.... unless it works out that I can fit that in too!    

I've also got a 20m hill walk in July with 2 climbs of over 2000ft and a cycling weekend in Arran in September, which includes a run up a 3000ft hill I'm told. 

I've got a horrendous month in June with stuff on every weekend and 3 mid week concerts - Coldplay, Springsteen and Jessie J and a Ball.  I don't know how I'll get time to train!

08/05/2012 at 20:31
Freemers - come back queen!! You are doing so well and I am sure you will surprise yourself on Sunday.

Daren - let me get this right....17 miles for fun? Or secret TM training

Minni - does sub 1:30 get you on the champ start?

I nee to enter TM and gotta sort out accommodation for Saturday night
08/05/2012 at 20:41

I've stayed here before and its quite reasonable. There's others that are a bit more expensive but I assume we're going cheap and cheerful?  There's a 24hr secure car park very close, I've left my car there before and its been fine. (I think some are driving up?)   Its also close to both the nightlife  and the marathon.

08/05/2012 at 20:48
Just for fun AA!
Minni, I'm going to see Coldplay next month too - I guess you're going to the Stadium of Light one? We're going to see them at the Emirates.
08/05/2012 at 21:18

Minni - That sounds like a busy schedule for you running and entertainment, but you always seem to find the time to get your training done.
I finally got around to listening to marathon talk for the first time ever and Nell`s interview, she came across very well and again as with most elite athletes played down her training volume, as you commented on earlier, you don`t just drop into 80+mile weeks unless you are already very fit or you build into it. But she did come across as very normal and quite a nice person, but with that steely determination to achieve her own goals.

AA - when do you start training for the jungfrauwhatsitcalledmarathon,............. brings back memories of us lot earlier in the year . Did you work out what type or training that you would do to conquer the climbs ?

08/05/2012 at 21:20
Minni- 14m with 10@ MP... Nice one. Sounds like you're back in full swing
Carrot- hope you're recovering well.
Freemers- good luck on Sunday.
I'm battling with a very annoying cold at the moment which is not really what I need but probably better now then next week. 8 miles today felt tough with a snotty nose and breathing problems. Felt like my heart rate was a bit up as well. Oh well... fingers crossed it clears soon.
08/05/2012 at 21:37

Thanks for all of the kind messages and positive words everyone   It's times like this that our virtual running club really makes a difference, as an 'unattached' runner it can be a bit like I'm on my own when stuff doesn't work out.  Parsnip is lovely but he doesn't really get how it feels when races don't go to plan as he always runs so fast!

Legs are feeling much better today, bit of an ouch moment getting out of bed this morning but not too bad now.  Got a toenail hanging off, just when I'd grown them all back too!  Does anyone else have really manky feet? I rarely have 10 toenails, usually have a blister or two, some lovely dry skin, some bits that are actually rock hard...

Tonights house tasks included cleaning, two loads of washing and priming yet more door frames and skirting boards.  I can't quite understand how there's any bare wood left in the house.  Can I run again yet so I don't have to do such things on a night?!

Enjoy the 5 miler MarkD, how is the recovery from 3 in 3 weeks going?

Weeble - I really think it knocked my confidence a bit knowing where I was in the field so early on. People only mean well and want to encourage you, which was brilliant at Blackpool HM in March, I knew I was second from about 5 miles, great in a half when you can push the pace a bit harder as there's not really that long left!  But in a full I'd rather not know

You're really coming back into your running Freemers, all of your patience last year is paying off.  Hope the half goes to plan on Sunday.

I'm wanting to get tickets for Coldplay Minni, we were skint when they went on sale.  Hoping someone we know will be looking to flogging a couple nearer the time   Enjoy the 14 tomorrow, is this done at your new MP?

Simon the lady who won Sunderland was V40. 

Feel better soon Brolish, gives you a more enforced taper I guess!

Nice to know others have had the dreaded foot cramp! It's horrible, I used to get it alot when I started learning to swim (aged 18 ) - my instructor told me it was due to lack of salt. 

I'll be driving to TM on the Sunday morning but I'm planning on staying overnight Sunday so I can get sloshed post-run  Day off work already booked for Monday.

08/05/2012 at 21:44
Carrot- my feet are usually in a state- dry skin, blisters and bunions to top it off... Lol not very lady like. I've given up on pedicures, it's a waste of money
08/05/2012 at 21:44

Carrot - I might have 2 spare tickets.  I have 6 and 2 look like they may pull out.  I'll let you know.

Brolish - don't be frightened to miss a session if you're not feeling 100%.  It wont make any difference on marathon day.

08/05/2012 at 21:49

SD - well done on your sub 3:30

Freemers - awesome running from you at the moment, good luck for your half this weekend!

Carrot - good to hear your legs are feeling much better, I know what you mean about rarely having 10 toenails, hate when it comes to summer and wearing birkenstocks!

Have had 2 days rest here, hip feeling ok but will miss club tomorrow night to have a gentle jog at home instead of pushing too hard.

Think I am bucking the trend by bringing the other half to T.M? He can be the one man support club, cheering everyone on as we go past 5 times....  Perfect timing for me, as the race falls at the start of a week's half term, so planning to drive up and stay 3 nights Sat-Mon, getting sloshed post run Sunday sounds like a plan!  Was going to set aside Monday for some touristy stuff (if there is touristy stuff in Newcastle....?!)

08/05/2012 at 21:57

Kiwi - so long as I don't have to bring mine!  lol!  Yes, there's some stuff to do on the Monday.  Do you like galleries? 

08/05/2012 at 22:09
I'm flying home Sunday as we were due to be flying to Spain Monday morning. Not going til Tuesday now (angry face!) I will have to leave you all to party on. However as we start at 9 we will all be done by 12:30 and in the pub for 1 whoop whoop! Plenty of time
08/05/2012 at 22:10
Shaggy - my jungfrau marathon training started in January!
08/05/2012 at 22:47
Lol AA! When is the Jungfrau marathon?

My cousin phoned today to invite us over (to Switz) during the summer hols, I am wondering how many days to go for + how to best fit in my marathon training..(don't usually go on holiday during mara training...)

Minni - galleries/museums are all good
09/05/2012 at 08:21
I'm back from Germany. A few days on my feet at a trade fair, sleep depravation and alcohol poisioning. Perfect prep for Sunday's marathon

Freemers - looking forward to seeing you again on Sunday

Carrot - another fantastic report. I wasn't crying, I had something in my eye

Love the look of the one off Great Yarmouth marathon. Not sure I can turn it down. The week before TM though.... Kev - might be a good one for you? Or how about New Forest Marathon, that's a good one.

Minni - I loved the cow story. Most people on here don't know what you do for a living. She's a VET!
09/05/2012 at 08:26

Don't mention feet!!  I am known for the fact that when Mr O4S was persuaded to see my physio a few years ago he told the physio that his wife was one of the guy's clients.  Physio thinks for a minute then famously said 'Lovely lady, horrible feet!'  Mr O4S responded that at least they could agree on the latter.......................Currently I have two large bunions [running shoes width 4E to accommodate them], one black big toe nail, 4 nails completely missing and 3 in the process of attemting to grow back  If we want to clear a bit of space for ourselves after the TM we could all take our shoes and socks off..............

Have just heard that I have been allocated the 'glory leg' for our club team at the National Masters relays on Saturday, so hoping my legs are recovered from the weekend by then

Wine tasting last night - cycled to the place so we could enjoy it, feeling a little hungover this morning.   In retrospect a boiled egg was probably insufficient stomach lining

I am flying up to Newcastle Saturday and going back Monday afternoon - didn't think I would be fit for a 7.10am flight on Monday!!

Minni  you forgot Rotherham in your list of autumn events

09/05/2012 at 09:09

Yay! The King's Lynn results have been updated and my 39:46 is now an official PB I came 73rd out of 1347.

09/05/2012 at 09:37

shaggy t wrote (see)

Freemers - great to see you doing so well on your recovery and the half should be a good race out for you and I am looking forward to seeing how you train for a marathon as, we have not had that pleasure of observing your training for the big one yet.

shaggy - up until now I've really favoured the MIUAYGA schedule, which I seem to have done OK on  but I think if I am going to get to the next level (knocking on the door of 3.15 kinda level) I need to be a bit more serious about it.  Although in the past I've done the quality sessions, I've never really decided until each day exactly what I am going to do.  I'm hoping P&D will at least make me think more in advance about the right mix of paces, reps and recoveries.  Mind you, I have no 3.15 expectations about TM - I'm leaving that to VLM 2013 (fingers crossed!).

minni - that hotel would suit me fine! Should we just agree to each go ahead and book?

spoons - yes, it will be good to catch up.  I may be a little tired - just read the pre-race blurb and realised I will need to leave my house pretty early to make it to the registration on time, plus the pre-race compulsory briefing a whole hour before the start (at least it is an hour before the HM start).

09/05/2012 at 09:39

x-post with daren - yay, that is great news. Brilliant placing as well

15,961 to 15,980 of 36,989 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.