RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

16,021 to 16,040 of 37,357 messages
10/05/2012 at 13:55

AA, what are you thinking of?! Have you actually watched that video of the course?!?! Mountains are for skiing down, not running up!

10/05/2012 at 15:59
Minni wrote (see)

I'm jealous of all these black toe nails.  It doesn't look like I'm going to lose any.  I love pulling them off so if anyone needs assistance.....

Having said that I've started to pull the scab off me knee. And that's a lot of fun . It itches like hell

Daren: Love my Fastwitches but like you use them in shorter races only. I wore them in a 10 miler and my feet almost killed me. I guess up to 10k is alright.

O4S: what a nightmare!! If the sizes are as ill fitting as you describe loads of people will be in the same boat and there will probably already be a deluge of phone calls to the organisers. They can't just say you can't exchange it if they don't provide something that fits! It's an image thing too - surely they will want smart-looking torch bearers and not a bunch of people that look like the Sally Army dressed them

Shaggy has a forum pic again. Glad to see you are on the comeback trail. Go and blast some super races this summer

AA:   HIking is OK, but running up mountains is insane! Can you book a 3-weeks holiday somewhere in the peak district soon to practice your fell running

Edited: 10/05/2012 at 16:00
10/05/2012 at 16:16

Yes a new pic to try and bring some sunshine into everybodies lives, as we don`t seem to be getting much sunshine this year ................................so far.

AA- that is a long way up c2000mt, the air gets pretty thin up there, strong legs and back needed and try some high altitude training and possibly a hperbaric chamber installed at home could be what you need.

Simon - I am afraid I got some new Bianchi branded cycling gear the other week, it sort of gave me the justifaction to get the bike to match the gear .....err! sort of.

Edited: 10/05/2012 at 16:18
10/05/2012 at 16:42

I'm thinking about going back on the F**man in a month or so...

I'm considering maybe spending two or three months on it over the summer, then going back to Hadd in September for a three-month build-up to the Norwich HM.

The logic behind it is:
1) Now I've built a better base, I'm tempted to see what times I can get by reverting to a speedwork-based schedule - a guy on another thread I was reading said he got his sub-40 10k after months of aerobic work in the build-up to a marathon, but got it down by almost two more minutes by then doing six weeks of intensive speedwork! Not saying I can do that of course but it got me thinking.
2) At the moment I work shifts and tend to do most of my running during the day when I'm working lates as there's not a lot else to do so I haven't minded clocking up 50+ mile weeks. However, during June I'm going to be working mostly days and after that, as my OH is a teacher, she'll be off during the summer, which will mean I probably won't want to spend 8 hours a week running - life balance and all that!
3) My HR will probably be higher during the summer because of the temperature, which will make HR training frustrating and slow.
4) Interestingly, Hadd says that, rather than peaking for key races, FT runners like me should go back to base training for a month or two after speedwork to top the aerobic base back up. As Norwich is my main goal race of the year, I think a summer of speedwork followed by more Hadd stuff in the autumn could work quite well.
5) I enjoyed the F**man last summer, got some great results on it and Sunday's 10k has given me an appetite to run fast again!

Any thoughts anyone? Good idea? Bad idea? I'm thinking if I started feeling less fit/getting slower on the F**man, I could easily switch back to the Hadd training. I am also thinking of tweaking the F**rman stuff a bit and throwing in the odd easy run/week, as well as some long, easy work on the bike to keep the aerobic base topped up as much as possible over the summer, and also still doing my Hadd tests to check I'm not eroding the aerobic base too much.

10/05/2012 at 16:52

AA - that race looks insane. There's another one around there that goes up Zermatt I think. Crazy business.

My feet are completely fine bizarrely. I don't know whether it is my shoes or my running style or what, but I have no black nails or anything. 

Have finished my planning for next week. Race 10K tuesday, off wed, 4mi recovery on thu & fri, off sat, race 10K sunday. And as a treat after the race on Sunday it's round to a friend's for his annual Asparagus Festival. Way-hey

Off diving this weekend, so running will have to take a back seat.

cheers, Ant

10/05/2012 at 18:07

Ah thanks for bringing some sunshine into our wet day Shaggy.  Things are starting to look up for you?

Ant - enjoy the dive!  Not something I've ever fancied.   Where do you go and what do you see when you're down there?

Simon - how is the PF now?

Freemers -  you should have packed Mr Freemers off as soon as he sniffed.  Have you got your pup yet?

Chick - how's the killer training going?

Daren - I'm not the one to advise but it sounds like a good plan to me.    I'm sure either way you're on course to break 1:30 in Norwich.

Brolish - how's the tapering going?

10/05/2012 at 18:12

Minni - down to Swanage - diving is great fun. I have a feeling I might not be seeing much this weekend with the terrible weather we've been having, but there are some great wrecks and reefs round the UK.

10/05/2012 at 18:20
They do a lot of diving up here around the Farne Islands and off St Abbs. I think there's a bid wreckage off St Abbs that is worth seeing.
10/05/2012 at 18:23

Oh yes - I've dived around your manor a few times. Eyemouth, St Abbs & the Farnes. I have experienced Saturday night out in Seahouses!

10/05/2012 at 18:26

Actually thinking about it - Saturday night out in Eyemouth was the most alarming!

10/05/2012 at 18:33

OMG I can imagine!!  I'm just inland from Seahouses.  I sometimes get dropped off there and run home for my long runs.

10/05/2012 at 19:52

Daren - A change of training to include more speedwork can only help with your shorter distances, as you've done Furman before sounds like you're not more injury prone when doing the quicker stuff.

10/05/2012 at 20:27
Daren- I think the approach of a mix of speed training plus top up aerobic is likely to be best but I doubt anything more than 16 miles is needed as the long run. I'm thinking of doing regular intervals ranging from 1k to 2miles ,6 - 8 mile tempo runs plus the LR at marathon pace less 30 secs. In addition I will try and squeeze 3 swims a week in plus some bike or spinning.
Ant p- I had a day skiing in March -where does the run go?
Simon- it's the Port Sunlight 10 k. If your looking for hills pop over to Ormskirk
Swam 72 lengths at lunchtime which obviously took more out om than I realised as when I did 6.2 miles tonight my HR hit 200 at one point with an average of 7.15 min miles.
10/05/2012 at 21:12

AA - I have just had agood look at the Jungfrau marathon and

A.A! wrote (see)

That didnt work! It starts at 566m and finishes 2100m with the highest bit at 40k being 2205m. Its all up! And no, no poles for me...cheating!! I think there is a few bits where walking is the only option. Having looked at the profile it doesn't look as bad as I thought.

I like the bit about where there is a few bits where walking is the only option.............yes that could well be the case................as the rest of it looks like you will be rope climbing attached to a carabena.

Is this the worlds longest post.

Edited: 10/05/2012 at 21:13
10/05/2012 at 21:16

Glad to hear we're all owners of manky feet! (Apart from Ant) We'll have to showcase them all in the pub after TM, there'll likely be a few extra blisters and blackened toenails to show off after that.  I've got a double room booked at the Travelodge but might be bringing Parsnip along! (He knows nothing of this yet, it's still a 9A marathon for me)

What's the plan of attack for the weekend Spoons? Shouldn't someone have posted a picture of a Tapir by now?!

O4S - don't forget the fake tan to go with the mini and stilettos.  Lay it on thick - you're looking for a radioactive effect!  You could always cut down the outside legs  and use a stash of safety pins on the tiny trousers,  go for the punk look?! Seriously though, hope you can get something sorted.  Would think they'd want everyone to look smart, which means clothes that actually fit.

Glad you're in the results Daren! Go for it with the Furman, I reckon it's done you alot of good.

AA I repeat, BONKERS! At least it's a nice little downhill bit for about 1000m to the finish. That won't hurt at all

10/05/2012 at 21:17

Minni - if you've 2 spare tickets we'll buy them  

10/05/2012 at 21:21

AA - I've been on a train up the Jungfrau, way up in the clouds - not sure I can see the appeal of running up it!  Sure looks tough.

Loving the sunshine profile piccie Shaggy.  Good to hear you are building back up slowly but surely with your

Freemers - hope the cold doesn't take hold, get your first defence out!

Rest day today, late one with parents' evening,have only managed 5 miles so far this week...!

10/05/2012 at 21:37
AA - thought my computer was on the blink thank you very much. You could enhance your training by finding a multi storey car park or high-rise building and run up stairs and get the lift down. I once did a football training session in a similar way.
Still think that all this feet talk is too much information.
10/05/2012 at 21:39
Shaggy you did that long post not AA that definately confused either me or the computer. Like the happy sun.
10/05/2012 at 21:42
Stupid new forum lost my post
16,021 to 16,040 of 37,357 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.