RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

16,421 to 16,440 of 37,331 messages
21/05/2012 at 12:17

Thats very Impressive Daren. Very. Do you have a target race? It would be a shame not to use that improvement for a PB?

Nice running Baryy. 3 Times a Week seems to be working for you at the moment !!

Congratulations Carrot on the wedding date etc

Ant P - A PB is a PB.....good work !!

Redwood, sometimes a CNBA is your body telling you to rest. Sounds like you listened

Freemers, good solid running than. For that to feel slow then you must be in good condition !!

10 Miles for me this morning. Nothing spectacular ( slower than Freemers effort ) but a good solid run ( 9MM) !!

21/05/2012 at 12:19

Daren - that's incredible progression

Unfortunately my heart rate chest strap didn't work yesterday. Probably run out of batteries.

21/05/2012 at 12:43
2old, it's very easy. Just do a max HR test - I did 2 x 800m with a 2-min jogged interval and then really went for it towards the end of the 2nd rep (this is horrible by the way!) - then just run as much as you can/ want at your max - 50bpm. You can let it drift up 5-10bpm on hills but try to bring it back down asap afterwards and average max-50 or less for the run. The only time you run any quicker is once a week do what HADD calls an initial lactate threshold run. Start off at say 10-15bpm higher than your easy HR and do about 8-10 miles at this pace. When you're seeing no cardiac drift at that HR you can move it up by 5bpm. These should still be below your lactate threshold so shouldn't feel tough. And that's it really!
AGF, no races planned till end of July, a 5k and then a 10k - hopefully I'll still have the benefits of the improved aerobic fitness plus some speed work on top by then!
21/05/2012 at 13:15

Daren - why not do a YKW this weekend so that you can measure the benefit of the block of speedwork you are doing. 

21/05/2012 at 13:34
I have thought about it Ant, but all depends on whether I'm out for beers on Friday night! If I'm not, I probably will.
21/05/2012 at 13:37

Daren - I've been reading all of your HADD stuff with interest. I'm inherently lazy so it is the type of training that definitely appeals! I'm not sure when I can fit it in, but I might try to give it a go at some point in the next year. How long do you need to stick at it to reap the benefits? I notice from your times above that you've been doing it for 5 months now...

I think I'm going to aim for 43 mins for Sunday's 10K. That would be a 1 min PB and is in the middle of what my most recent 5K and HM times say I should be capable of.

O4S - which bit of Bristol are you carrying the torch through? I shall definitely try to have a watch online on Wednesday, as it goes through my home town too.

21/05/2012 at 13:48

Minni - biology this morning and Spanish listening this afternoon - hard when you're pretty deaf and need lip reading!!

Daren - you have shown real commitment to the HR training - long mileage weeks - so its great to see the benefit.

Ant - not sure if I congratulated you on your new pb - but well done.

Freemers/AGF - nice 10 milers done.

2Old - I've yet to hit the lake for OW swimming. It was @15 degrees last week so getting warmer...

3 days of no running for me. Off to Italy on Thursday, so will call this a "recovery week/CNBA week" and get back into it next week to sweat out the indulgences!

21/05/2012 at 13:50
Daren that is amazing. I bet you're glad you stuck to it now. I wonder who your speed phase will go. It's looking like sub 1:30 would be within your reach now never mind the autumn.
21/05/2012 at 14:25

Didnt get spinning- the road to the gym was blocked and I couldnt be bothered with the diversion.I will have to make it up some other time.

DarenF-thanks for that-now i will have to organise when I can give it a go.

AGF-thanks for the Liverpool Marathon tunnel video-its a steep climb out like the Wallasey Tunnel but the drums will pull anyone flagging out no problem. Is it a local race for you?I have run a lot of the route in the past.Its probably my nearest Marathon.Whats your next race?

AA- 15c? Thats 3.5c warmer than  9days ago. Wonder what it will be tonight after all this sun-might have to ditch the wet suit like some of the (crazy)others who never wear one.I like recovery weeks. Exam periods are a pain.Ive got three about to do different ones including university finals .

Spoons -congrats to you both..Do you need the batteries for your heart or the strap?

21/05/2012 at 14:35
Just physics for us today and from the texts received it hasn't gone well. I knew she was too confident thus morning. Who understands physics anyway.
21/05/2012 at 14:57

That's brilliant progression with the Hadd stuff Daren  It would be good to see what you'd do for a YKW on the back of that lot! Talking of which, my 9 year old nephew blasted out a 21.42 at the weekend - that's almost as quick as my PB

Much as I'd like to think if I was lucky enough to be a torch bearer I'd never sell it, I think for £150k I'd be mad not to!

21/05/2012 at 15:04
2old, I think you got the wrong person? Never been to Liverpool...
21/05/2012 at 15:04
Redwood, it took about 6 weeks to start seeing any real improvement so it was so hard to persevere with it initially but since then the improvements have kept coming.
21/05/2012 at 15:07
Oh, and Redwood, yes it is the perfect plan for lazy runners - I've barely broken a sweat for 5 months!
21:42 from a 9-year-old!!!!! That is very impressive Freemers.
21/05/2012 at 15:49

Poor Bro . Marathons in the heat are horrid - all that training and then one warm day and BANG your PB dreams are shattered.

Daren: amazing progress indeed.

Freemers: blimey, that's a speedy nephew! Mind you, I got overtaken by a 12 year old boy on the XC . Or perhaps it was someone like Daren/Mr. Z that look like they are 12

21/05/2012 at 16:01
Freemers has fast genes in her family
21/05/2012 at 16:03

Minni actually I do [understand physics] - its real life that seems to defeat me

21/05/2012 at 16:17

I'm off to swimming club again tonight. What does HADD think about X training?

21/05/2012 at 16:34

AGF-yes it was Fit Running Cat who said it. Clearly my brain cells are declining with my running ability.

Freemers -  thats a great time for your nephew -I am reisgned to plodding on

21/05/2012 at 16:50

What does HADD think about red wine?

16,421 to 16,440 of 37,331 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.