RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

16,421 to 16,440 of 36,134 messages
21/05/2012 at 07:06
Will definitely log on to see the trousers on Wednesday morning.

Carrot - yes! Get in the Guinness Book for bride and groom. I don't think you have to wear full wedding dress, just something that looks like one. Us gfa ladies could be bridesmaids!!

Erm, that's a speedy 10 miles for someone coming back from injury, Barry.

AA - physics exam today?
21/05/2012 at 07:30
Bro sorry it didn't go to plan. Had a quick read of Gazelle's thread and looks like tough conditions out there.
21/05/2012 at 08:35

Bro - oh no that is such a shame for you....the one thing you just can't control is the weather, and the sun was unfortunately shining too much yesterday. It's a real bu**er, but you know you'll put this behind you and come back all guns blazing next time.

Carrot - great news about setting a date....all very exciting now then

10 miles for me yesterday. I was metronomic - all 10 miles were within 2 seconds of each other - 8.48-8.50, so nice, slow and steady was the aim of the day. 

I'm feeling a bit Nell-like (aka bloated) at the moment - my diet has been shot to pieces since I went to NY a few weeks ago. Day 1 of healthy eating starting today....

21/05/2012 at 08:48

Bro - accursed weather! Not much you can do about heat really. Even Geoffrey Mutai dropped out of Boston because of it this year.

My 10K was more fortuitous and actually had 1 second taken off in the official results. 44.09  Feel terrible today after tying it on at the asparagus festival yesterday. Far far too much wine.

21/05/2012 at 09:08

Barry - you can buy the torch for £200

AA - I need taping and lots of it

O4S is running the entire torch relay on her own!

21/05/2012 at 09:11

Bro - really sorry to hear that the weather wreaked havoc. It is absolutely gutting to have something out of your control take it out of your hands. Well done for toughing it out until the end.

Ant - well done on another PB. You must be getting used to PBs by now, and definitely doing it the sensible way of shaving bits of here and there so as to still leave room for further improvement!

Carrot - congrats on choosing a date. It can be a nightmare scheduling it in around sport, took us ages to find a date where I knew that most people could attend.

Don't know why but I couldn't get the site to work on my phone all weekend so assumed it was down - obviously not!

I got struck by the CNBA fairy on Friday instead of doing intervals. Train was cancelled and put me in a bad mood so ended up jacking in the short run I tried to do instead. Played cricket Saturday (a defeat, and an annoying 12 where I felt great and then missed a straight one...) and had a family day yesterday.

Not sure that it's a bad thing I haven't trained for a few days as I've got a couple of niggles - the second toe on my right foot is killing me when putting pressure on it and my knee, the one that curtailed a bit of my VLM training, hasn't felt right either. Think I'm going to try intervals tomorrow then take is easy for the rest of the week ahead of Sunday's 10K.   

Edited: 21/05/2012 at 09:12
21/05/2012 at 09:14
Apparently someone has sold their torch already on eBay for ??150k!!!
21/05/2012 at 10:32

I'm reckoning she'll drop it and it will roll under the wheels of the following coach - value about the same as my trousers!!  She hasn't even run with it yet.........I won't be selling mine as Mr O4S has promised to pay for it and wants the proceeds if I subsequently sell it!

Spoons  Giro helmets: I have a red one and Mr O4S has a blue one, not sure what other colours they come in 

21/05/2012 at 10:44

Minni -  Only running 3 times a week, ramp up has gone 2,4,6(first week) 4,6,8(second week) and  6,8,10(week just gone), so I am just going out enjoying the running and due to reduced number of runs feel I can push the pace a little.  Yesterday felt comfortably hard and as the course was a little lumpy was pleased with pace.  This week is cutback week, 4,6,8 then increase mileage in subsequent weeks.  Going back to see Physio tomorrow I think to work on drills to increase muscle power from legs.

Sounds like there's profit to be made from these torches buy one for £200 then sell for £150K

21/05/2012 at 11:44
Commiserations Brolish, that's such a shame but as others have said there's nothing you can do about it in heat like that - far too hot for hitting time targets so don't beat yourself up about it.
Well done on another PB Ant! Two in a week!
This morning was my last HADD test before I put the HR monitor away for a bit and focus on some speed work - yet again the results were incredible. Quick recap - these are 5 x 1.5 mile reps with 90 secs recovery, 1st rep at 140bpm, then 150, 160, 170 & 180. Results of this & previous tests for comparison (times are average pace rather than rep time) are as follows:

31/12. 21/2. 1/4. Today

140bpm. 10:16. 10:12. 9:39. 9:27
150bpm. 9:19. 9:02. 8:36. 8:19
160bpm. 8:21. 8:07. 7:42. 7:25
170bpm. 7:43. 7:23. 7:07. 6:55
180bpm. 6:54. 6:48. 6:36. 6:24

So I'm now a whole 10bpm better than I was when I started was very encouraged by how comfortable the mile and a half at 6:24 felt at the end of that session too - was dreading it but it felt more like a tempo than a balls-out rep. Tempted to just keep on with HADD as it's working so well & I'm still progressing but I think I'll come back to it in a few months as I really want to see what I can do with some speed work on top of the base now.
21/05/2012 at 12:11

Bro-that was a tough Marathon and dont be downhearted .The experts say in very hot conditions expect to reduce the pace by 30secs to 1min per mile.I had a similar experience in Chicago 2007 when the temperature never went below 88f with high humidity to match and my time was coincidentally 3.54.Whilst it was my slowest ever it was probably up there with my best as it was so tough-for me .Bear in mind you ran that marathon when most people would expect to be lying on a beach.Dont underestimate how much it has taken out of you too. We may have a bit of that heatwave here this week

AntP-another great pb thats what we expect onthis thread.More importantly its the consistency .Looking forward to the next one.

Minni-great hilly run -probably need a good rest this week but knowing you thats not likelyHope the hot weather forecast for this week doesnt materialise

Barry-that was an impressive 10miler -i managed 8 at average pace of 7.36 and felt it .My heart rate went through the roof for the first miles and it took a while recovering. Its strange that whilst we dont have marathon pressurse on us the mileage soon ramps up.I managed 37 miles in 3 runs last week

DarenF-I think that this heart rate training is the key to improving my  10k time.How to I work out the relevant training heart rates to do this accurately?

O4s I am seeing the Olympic torch signs everywhere-it must be pretty exciting for you.How can ayone sell the torch?I would frame it and oput it in of pride of place at home.

Myplan today is to do 30k spinning this lunch time and 750m swim plus 5k run tonight.We will se if it happens that way.

21/05/2012 at 12:15
Minni wrote (see)
Apparently someone has sold their torch already on eBay for ??150k!!!

I'm selling my GF's for only £100k - bargain

21/05/2012 at 12:17

Thats very Impressive Daren. Very. Do you have a target race? It would be a shame not to use that improvement for a PB?

Nice running Baryy. 3 Times a Week seems to be working for you at the moment !!

Congratulations Carrot on the wedding date etc

Ant P - A PB is a PB.....good work !!

Redwood, sometimes a CNBA is your body telling you to rest. Sounds like you listened

Freemers, good solid running than. For that to feel slow then you must be in good condition !!

10 Miles for me this morning. Nothing spectacular ( slower than Freemers effort ) but a good solid run ( 9MM) !!

21/05/2012 at 12:19

Daren - that's incredible progression

Unfortunately my heart rate chest strap didn't work yesterday. Probably run out of batteries.

21/05/2012 at 12:43
2old, it's very easy. Just do a max HR test - I did 2 x 800m with a 2-min jogged interval and then really went for it towards the end of the 2nd rep (this is horrible by the way!) - then just run as much as you can/ want at your max - 50bpm. You can let it drift up 5-10bpm on hills but try to bring it back down asap afterwards and average max-50 or less for the run. The only time you run any quicker is once a week do what HADD calls an initial lactate threshold run. Start off at say 10-15bpm higher than your easy HR and do about 8-10 miles at this pace. When you're seeing no cardiac drift at that HR you can move it up by 5bpm. These should still be below your lactate threshold so shouldn't feel tough. And that's it really!
AGF, no races planned till end of July, a 5k and then a 10k - hopefully I'll still have the benefits of the improved aerobic fitness plus some speed work on top by then!
21/05/2012 at 13:15

Daren - why not do a YKW this weekend so that you can measure the benefit of the block of speedwork you are doing. 

21/05/2012 at 13:34
I have thought about it Ant, but all depends on whether I'm out for beers on Friday night! If I'm not, I probably will.
21/05/2012 at 13:37

Daren - I've been reading all of your HADD stuff with interest. I'm inherently lazy so it is the type of training that definitely appeals! I'm not sure when I can fit it in, but I might try to give it a go at some point in the next year. How long do you need to stick at it to reap the benefits? I notice from your times above that you've been doing it for 5 months now...

I think I'm going to aim for 43 mins for Sunday's 10K. That would be a 1 min PB and is in the middle of what my most recent 5K and HM times say I should be capable of.

O4S - which bit of Bristol are you carrying the torch through? I shall definitely try to have a watch online on Wednesday, as it goes through my home town too.

21/05/2012 at 13:48

Minni - biology this morning and Spanish listening this afternoon - hard when you're pretty deaf and need lip reading!!

Daren - you have shown real commitment to the HR training - long mileage weeks - so its great to see the benefit.

Ant - not sure if I congratulated you on your new pb - but well done.

Freemers/AGF - nice 10 milers done.

2Old - I've yet to hit the lake for OW swimming. It was @15 degrees last week so getting warmer...

3 days of no running for me. Off to Italy on Thursday, so will call this a "recovery week/CNBA week" and get back into it next week to sweat out the indulgences!

21/05/2012 at 13:50
Daren that is amazing. I bet you're glad you stuck to it now. I wonder who your speed phase will go. It's looking like sub 1:30 would be within your reach now never mind the autumn.
16,421 to 16,440 of 36,134 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.