RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

16,581 to 16,600 of 37,114 messages
24/05/2012 at 17:13
Great report O4S!

23 degrees, lovely + sunny here, off out for a very slow jog now, becoming bored with the constant rollering/stretching + icing of the i.t band but needs must!
24/05/2012 at 17:18
Minni - running is so yesterday or maybe the day after the day after tomorrow!
24/05/2012 at 18:47
O4S- loved the video you're a star, what an amazing experience it must've been.
Minni- thanks for posting.
24/05/2012 at 21:40
Running club tonight. 8 mile XC hilly fartlek. My poor legs are smashed
24/05/2012 at 21:55

AA - You going to do your tandem skydive with me this year?

Edited: 24/05/2012 at 21:56
24/05/2012 at 22:01
5 slow miles for me tonight with 3 others including The Apprentice. I need to get back to proper training because I'm getting fat.
24/05/2012 at 23:23
Spoons - I've never done a tri, but what I've read is that everyone has to work most on their weakest leg. So as a runner, you'll get most benefit training on your bike and/or swimming, cus the running part will sort it's self out, cus you've done lots of running. Concentrating on your running, may make you a better runner, but not a better triathlete.

2old - Nothing planned in the near future. I thought I might try it to see if it helps my running and cycling, as it seems like an interesting idea.

Chick - Hope you had a nice anniversary.

Minni - I thought I was mad also, but it was ok in the end.
I think I'll do the commute probably on Sunday, as the weather forecast is good, traffic will be quiet, and I'm on day off on the Monday just incase
25/05/2012 at 08:16

This weekend - Bupa 10k & chocolate banana!  That's all.  Thanks & have a good one!

25/05/2012 at 08:52

Kiwi -  is the rolling and stretching working?  How does it feel now when you run?

Bro - How are you feeling now?

Spoons - ref your tri training.    I guess the distance you're training for will dictate the about of swimming/cycling/running you need to do.  If you're aiming for sprint that that should allow you to keep a higher running mileage and work at getting faster at the other two?  Its not like you need to do 100m rides for a short distance tri.

Another scorcher here today.

25/05/2012 at 09:08

Minni- thanks for asking.  I'm feeling ok.  Planning ahead for NY has helped a lot.  Thought I would be happy not to run for a week but I'm bored now and itching to get out. 

AA- hope you have a lovely time in Italy.

Hot hot hot again.  I am predicting vast amounts of sauvignon in the sun later today.  For once don't have to worry about running with a hangover

25/05/2012 at 09:12

Nice day for lying on the beach

Shame I'm a suit at work

25/05/2012 at 09:40

Kiwi  - if your ITB is really tight a trip to the physio might be needed, very painful to free it off  but does the trick.

Daren -  Impressive 10 miler

Did 6 miles yesterday morning at 6am due to daughter early morning swimming, good time of day to get out given our heatwave.

M.r Zuvai    pirate
25/05/2012 at 09:44
Spoons. wrote (see)

So in marathon training this year I was doing 6 x runs per week. However, one of them was usually something like "3 mile slow recovery run" and one was usually "3-6 miles / easy - steady pace" depending on what else was happening that week.

I'm trying to squeeze in some swimming and cycling but I don't want to compromise my running and in fact I want to improve my running. Therefore I am thinking about keeping the 4 key running sessions and adding 2 x swims + 2 x bike sessions. Sound sensible?

Mon - Swim - plus possible short run

Tue - Run

Wed - Bike

Thu - Run

Fri - Swim

Sat - Run

Sun - Run + Bike

as Minni said the distance you're aiming for will determine the exact ratio's

however, as a runner thats looking to vary it up and use tri to potentially improve your running then that looks spot on to me  - i know that when im cycling regularly my running improves significantly  

my spring marathon this year was based on a similar idea to what you've suggested

25/05/2012 at 10:00

O4S – what a great read that report was! As a nation we’re almost ashamed to be British, so it’s nice to see the Union Jacks and bunting out and people coming together every now and again.

Brolish – I had vast amounts of cabernet sauvignon last night which wasn’t ideal preparation for Sunday’s 10K. I popped over to one of those white collar boxing nights through a work freebie and had intended to be good. Instead I ended up scoffing my face whilst hoovering up endless amounts of red wine but on the bright side I didn’t fall asleep on the last train this time!

You wouldn’t get me in the ring for love nor money, but it was almost akin to watching the marathon. None of the fighters have stepped in the ring before, and they’ve all dedicated the past few months to training for that one moment. You can see just how much it means to them when it goes right (and wrong) so it was very enjoyable. 

Good luck for Sunday Cooks. I absolutely HATE running in hot weather, so it should be interesting...

Edited: 25/05/2012 at 10:01
25/05/2012 at 10:51

Great report O4S. Spoons - isn't your GF doing the torch bearing as well? When is it her slot?

Redwood - the vino taper technique - many a follower on this thread. Best of luck with the race on the weekend. Cooks - good luck to you as well. That sub 40 should be nailed on - as long as the weather doesn't get you.

I am knackered today after having to travel to Paris and back in a day yesterday - a 19 hour session including meeting. Have got some 1200m intervals to do today with a slight hangover, on little sleep and with the temperature over 20. Am I keen - nope. 

Cheers, ant

25/05/2012 at 10:55

Cooks-have fun in the sun on Sunday.

BarryB- its good to be able to fit a run around family jobs. Much better than running at 6am in December. Im thinking of a long run this afternoon but am wondering whether its  agood idea in this heat.

Bro-NY marathon-have you done it before?Loved it -apart from the Central Park hills

Brabecue tonight,races(horses) tomorrow and Aquathlon Sunday

Dubai Dave    pirate
25/05/2012 at 11:43

Spoons Your exactly where I was two years ago, a runner dabbling in Tri who doesn't want to compromise their running. Then a few Tri's down the road you realise that your a Tri Athlete who will probably get better at running because you cross train, I did and most folks do. Then lastly you let go of running cos you never enter any running races and its just something you do when you jump off a bike. As long as you keep the intervals, the tempo and the long run the other 3 runs a week don't matter if your cycling and swimming.

O4S sounds a great experience, I hadn't relaised how much interest there was in the UK on the Torch relay.

I was up and out the door by 0330 today, straight into the expected sand storm, 162K and 5 hours 15 mins later I got home with sand in every orifice!, That was one tough mother of a ride, shattered now and very hungry.

25/05/2012 at 12:04
O4S great video that looked awesome. One of the club ultra runners is doing it so will have to look out for it when nearby. Did you get loads of photos I assume?

Waves to Brol, keep drinking the wine.

Minni will I see you spectating at Edinburgh then? I know you're there somewhere. Mrs FRC will be at mile 10 somewhere the roundabout.
M.r Zuvai    pirate
25/05/2012 at 12:40

great to see you gearing up so well DD - look forward to seeing you in action at Outlaw! I feel like im married to my bike at the moment!  

M.r Zuvai    pirate
25/05/2012 at 12:44

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/481487/gallery/tapir-and-orangutan-swimming-400x222.jpg?width=350

I know we dont have any marathon hero's this weekend

but it didn't feel like the end of the week without a tapir - so here's one swimming, scaring the b-jesus out of a orangutan!

16,581 to 16,600 of 37,114 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.