RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

161 to 180 of 37,112 messages
09/01/2011 at 22:18
Minni wrote (see)

Hi BecsA!  BecsA and others - I've tried to sort my HR out so I could use it for this training but I just could't find my max. By formulas is seems it should be around 179 however, when I tried I could only get it to about 172 at the most.  But, quite a few times my data would show at the end of a run that I had hit up to 194 during a session.  These were usually achieved when I was running a particularly fast bit of a training run.  I doubt whether these were correct readings and just got fed up trying!  My average HR for my recent marathon was 157 with the mas being 168 reached in the final full mile. 

AA I hope you feel better soon.  A trip to the Dr might be worth it...?

I did the 2x 3 mins max effort to try to find my max HR. That gave me about 195, but I thought it was probably a bit higher so used 200 to calculate the zones to train in as I wasn't too worried if they were a bit out. Redoing the test recently I got 197 so think that's about right.

I also get occasional v high readings in sessions. Usually means that the HR strap has been moving around. They still annoy me, but after using the HR monitor for a bit I've got a better idea of when to trust the watch and when it's probably playing up.

AA I've got the same thing and it's very frustrating. I'm trying to rest until I'm over it. Hope you get better soon. 

Dubai Dave    pirate
10/01/2011 at 06:47

Minni; Your training partner is clearly nuts wearing shorts in those conditions, nice place to run though. I used to run on Dartmoor looks very similar if not so cold.

AA: Get well before you run, I ran a marathon a couple of years ago with what i thought was a mild cold, turned out I had pneumonia, and there was me wondering why I had run 3-40 when I thought I was in 3-30 shape. In the week after I thought I was going to die, so moral is don't chance it.

Lake: Put Comrades on your to do list.

I have a club 8 mile run tonight which is always fast, hours swim at lunchtime.

10/01/2011 at 09:12

It looks very bleak on those pics but the area is really quite pretty. 

DD   Is your swim in the pool or open water?  I've been having front lessons but have had to put them on hold until this marathon training is out the way. Its a 55 mile round trip to the pool and can't really justify the time at the moment.  I'll be glad when the nights get a bit lighter and I can get back out on the bike too.  

Comrades looks brilliant - has that been your favourite event to date?

My favourite and least favourite event is the same one!  Its a mountain marathon type (but only 25 miles I think) which takes in 11 peaks of over 2000ft.  I've done it twice and each time I've thought I've been going to die en route only to finish on a high and in tears both times!  The last time I did it I was bordering on hypothermia and if it hadn't been for my team mates recognising the signs I think I would have curled up and died!  

Dubai Dave    pirate
10/01/2011 at 10:33

Minni: Weekdays I swim in the pool, its downstairs from my office! Weekends I swim in the sea, this is one of the advantages of living in Dubai. Do you have triathlon aspirations as well? I switched over a) because I had been thinking about it for a long time. b) I started cycling seriously during the first 3 months of 2010 whilst I was out with a torn calf muscle c) I'm getting too old for the constant impact of running.  I enjoy the mixture and feel a lot less tired training more hours than when I just ran.

Favourite races have been Comrades & Boston, greatest achievement Ridgeway. I also love Beachy Head marathon.  I think that our favourite events are often the toughest, its the sense of achievement that makes them so memorable,

10/01/2011 at 10:36

Lovely photos, Minni. Well done.

I tried a run on the treadmill this morning and managed 3 miles  chest felt like it was in a vice, I was sweating profusely and was running really slowly, and my legs were dead. So I gave up and did some core work instead. But I am finding it so frustrating now - I was doing really well over Christmas and New Year.

Hope you get better soon too Becs

10/01/2011 at 10:41
I want to do an Ironman some day but not sure if I'll ever master the swimming!  I've been part of a duathlon team for the past two years on an event around Lochness.  Run a leg and cycle a leg.  I'm thinking about entering to do the whole thing solo this year.  That would be run 25 miles, a mixture of on and off road, followed by about 50 on the bike, which is mostly road. 
10/01/2011 at 10:43
AA Are you taking night nurse?  I swear by it - even when I'm feeling ok!  Just remember your fitness is still there and once you're well again you'll be straight back into it.
Dubai Dave    pirate
10/01/2011 at 12:21

AA: Take it easy until you feel Ok, it really isn't worth making in worse, you won't lose that much fitness, i rane my first sub 3-30 marathon 7 weeks after being given the all clear for Pneumonia, the rest might have even helped me, the Dr told me to return to training as if I hadn't trained for 1 year, so I ran a 1/2 Marathon the next week!

Minni: Everyone can master swimming its all technique and practice, a coach is essential, I have a olympic tri on Friday on the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix circuit, should be good other than I have to rack my bike 3 hours before the start, I hate waiting around. Give the duathlon a go its not going to do you any harm ( be careful with asking me this sort of question as I will race almost anything!).

10/01/2011 at 12:49
Minni - why do you take Night Nurse "even when you're OK"? Do you like the taste?
10/01/2011 at 19:13
I was on night nurse all last week. I love it - it's like a drug  Hope i can get straight back into it soon, I really feel like I'm slipping behind.
10/01/2011 at 19:38
Awesome photos Mini, would be great to do off road runs like that, you're very lucky!

Just back fron an easy 4 miles at 9 min miling. Any opinions on pace of recovery runs? Usually i don't bother to wear my watch, noticed the runners world schedule online says you should do easy Monday runs at 8:45 m/m - do recovery miles turn into junk miles if run too slowly?
10/01/2011 at 22:04
Recovery runs are slow enough that at the end you should feel warned up but LESS tired than before you started, hence the terrm recovery. Nearly everyone runs them too fast. If you run them too fast they become junk miles because they serve no real training purpose and they tire you out so other runs in the week are less effective.
10/01/2011 at 22:11

Recovery runs ... mine have been very slow, between 9.30 and 10.30 m/m.  They didn't used to be that slow but I'm learning that they should not interfere with the important sessions.  By running them so slow I am totally ready for a harder session the next day.

Kiwi - I know I am lucky but sometimes (actually quite often)  yearn for a long flat road!  

Watched my son in his area x-country today.  He didn't qualify for the next stage and had a nasty fall on the ice but finished happy in the first half of the field.  Proud mum! 

10/01/2011 at 22:12
Oh, and night nurse.... there's nothing like a swig if you're having trouble sleeping!
10/01/2011 at 22:19
Aah, sleeping. I don't have any problem with that. Staying awake is my problem!
10/01/2011 at 22:20
Day Nurse for that!
10/01/2011 at 22:41
Do you have a cure for everything Dr Minni?
10/01/2011 at 22:51

Night and day nurse, ibuprofen, caffeine - a cure for everything!

How did the 8 mile club run go DD? 

10/01/2011 at 22:52
Yeah, i was surprised to see the r.w schedule suggesting 8:45 m/m for a recovery run, i usually leave my watch at home + do a leisurely 4 mile route.
Dubai Dave    pirate
11/01/2011 at 04:58

Morning All

recovery runs should be slooooow, a wise old man once told me you should feel better at the end of a recovery run than you did at the start, they also shouldn't be too long. I have one to do today.

161 to 180 of 37,112 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.