RW Forum Six - Sub 5.30

Iron Min v Soup Dragon

3,921 to 3,927 of 3,927 messages
06/02/2012 at 23:02
Oh Helen - I'm terrible with nerves too but 10 weeks is ages.  Some nerves help you get the best out of the day so they are not all bad.  Just try and have confidence in the plan. You've already done some good distances and 10 weeks left - some people only do a 12 week plan!  Loads of time yet........ 
07/02/2012 at 14:49

Are you in it to win it Helen!?

Chill and enjoy it

which is why i've run my maras with other people and we've had a chat & a laugh and a good swear .....(well I have)

I do get a bit nervous the night before, but I just think about the finish  and how much I'm looking forward to seeing everybody and having a laugh....

perhaps I'm not taking this seriously enough !!  

08/02/2012 at 11:08

Hello

I may be an imposter.  I may be a 6 hour person in a sub 5.30 hour forum.  But you, and I, won't know that until D day.  So I'm staying!

First marathon - London, 10 1/2 weeks to go. So far my training has consisted of:  Injury, better, injury reoccured as pretended I was better when I knew I wasn't, told off my phsyio on a weekly basis, now getting better and unfortunately doing all my running in the pool for now (hope to start land running again - carefully - on sunday).  But - feeling confident despite it all!  Want to start, want to finish, want to not hit the wall!

Any advice is helpful!

08/02/2012 at 17:31

Hiya kaffeeg - not an imposter at all, I would be a 6 hourer if I was to do a marathon now. You are more than welcome to join this little gang here and we'll help all we can but you might also want to (or instead of, I won't flounce) check out Len and Bridgets just get round thread.  We are still bimbling along from last year and Min has since been released of her mentoring duties (we unlocked the thread and let her out).  She pops her head in sometimes for sage words.

Sorry to hear about your injury. Be careful not to start back too quick too soon or try and catch up on lost sessions. You might want to try run/walk to get you round, something like run 5 mins/walk 1 min. Just take it slowly. London will always have a big chunk of slow runners and people who walk the whole way, the atmosphere is electric so you won't be on your own.

08/02/2012 at 17:36

I forgot to mention that I have run - 2 days in a row!   I've come away to Devon for a short break and there is a 2-mile quiet seafront stretch just a short hop and jump from the hotel which is so fab and asks to be run down and back.  4.5 miles in 1 hour each day (well 61.5 mins yesterday, 61 mins today). 13.5min/miles. Slow but consistent.

09/02/2012 at 12:54

Spence - that did make me laugh! No, highly unlikely to win it! But pre-anything nerves is just one of those things I do, sort of regardless. Performance anxiety, I suppose, even if it's only against myself that performance will be measured. When I was at school I used to sing in the chior and I'd be looking as white as asheet until ~ 10 minutes before we went on stage, when I'd be sick, then everything would go fine. Worried everyone the first occasion I wasn't sick - it had become a standard part of the pre-concert ritual for everyone esle as well as me! Nerves 10 weeks out is a bit of a record though, even for me.

Nice running Soups. I've not managed to get out much - I did an hour of the treadie this morning, during which my brain turned to cream cheese. However, it was probably safer than pounding the streets and falling arse over tit on an icy patch.

09/02/2012 at 17:59

ahh glad it made you laugh, thought after I'd written it you might take it the wrong way  sometimes things don't 'read'  as intended!!

I've run the last 2 days, having missed out 3 runs, including a LSR

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3,921 to 3,927 of 3,927 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.