RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Carterusm with Spoons

2,001 to 2,020 of 4,655 messages
03/05/2013 at 22:02

I went through a phase of taking a gel on the startline but stopped because I never really noticed any difference. Others swear by it though. I tend to sip a bottle of sport drink on the way to the race, and whilst hanging about at the start. I'm no expert but I always figure a sport drink is just a watered down gel anyway!

03/05/2013 at 22:26
Nell Blue wrote (see)

Hi Carl, I have found when performing interval trainng that I am pushing more from the front foot and adapting more of a pose method of running. My feet tend to spend more time in the air but that seems to be taken care of by the power I am producing from the push off. when I am running longer distances I am falling back into the high turnover of feet and falling more on the mid foot. That make sense?

Hi Nell - I think it makes alot of sense as sprinting is all about power and power comes from pushing more from the front. Not that I am saying that I am sprinting 10k. Going from being conditioned for a marathon to trying to generate speed is quite a tough transition to make.

03/05/2013 at 23:36

Good job Carter - pain free again I assume

Forecast for Limerick is dry with sunny intervals, 14mph SW wind and 17 deg....... a bit on the warm side but I'd take that if it was guaranteed for Sun!

Had a family event to go to tonight which ran on and then an hours work to finish when I got back in after 10pm so have nothing organised! Plan to leave tomorrow morning around 11am - stop off for lunch @ halfway and arrive @ expo in Limerick mid/late afternoon.

Carl - romantic ?... with 2 hyperactive kids under 6 in tow?... no chance.

So I may not be online again until I get to the hotel tomorrow evening

04/05/2013 at 10:30

Guys a belated thanks for the 10k training advice, won't be able to manage quite the plan suggested, two kids an work mean four to five runns a week is prob my max. But gives me some ideas to work with. Bit annoying that my Achilles every now an then gets very tender during and after runs, but seems to be fine by the next moring. Think it's just from tight leg muscles so lots of stretching due!

ricky, good luck for Sunday 

04/05/2013 at 16:11

Andrew - you can only do what works for you. I also have a busy home liand with 3 kids and have been mad busy at Lately lately. So I am not following the plan slavishly more using this as a guide. 

04/05/2013 at 16:58

That's what I was thinking of doing Carl. I've got a few races entered but the last one is prob the flattest so that's the onoil target for a time. Current PB is just over 45mins so want to take as much off as possible. Think I'm capable of a sub 40 but prob not this time around.

04/05/2013 at 17:36

Best of luck tomorrow Ricky

04/05/2013 at 18:12

Jeez Louise this tapering malarkey is boring!! I have another week of this  

10 miles tomorrow and then a couple of sessions next week and then it is the big day.

Ricky - Good luck tomorrow it is going to be a huge double achievement for you; a great finishing time and surviving a weekend in stab city! That is two medals you deserve  I await your report with great anticipation. Enjoy it.

04/05/2013 at 18:35

Oirish - had been wondering where you were. Was hoping that you had not gone for one of your infamous runs

04/05/2013 at 19:34

Best of luck tomorrow Ricky! Have a good one. Don't go off too fast. 

04/05/2013 at 19:35

Andrew - 4 runs a week is fine for a 10km

04/05/2013 at 20:10

Arrived safely at Expo at about 3.30pm .... Limerick is buzzing with mayday weekend with loads of city centre markets, live music etc. great atmosphere... Billy Connolly is in town too for a free concert on Monday night.

lovely sunny anoon and saw 16 deg - quite windy though

just back from a great Italian restaurant and am topped up on pasta & gelato... Great views over River Shannon from hotel room as I type.

Weather has closed in now and sky is grey with a steady drizzle - still feckin windy though! (Oops startin to talk like a local already)

strange chip timing system - chip is attaced to back of race no.? Hope my number doesn't come off! (I've only ever used the shoe lace type chip)

goody bag - decent tech tshirt, a Gillette razor?!, granola bar, pen, sports drink tablet, almond & oat cereal, discount vouchers and the usual plethora of leaflets. Usual tat really. Also a little 'programme' type booklet for the event which is a nice touch.

04/05/2013 at 21:16

Ricky - fab that you are settled. Get as much rest as you can tonight and do not stress if you do not sleep through the whole night. The adrenaline will get you round tomorrow. The race chip on the race number is becoming the norm now. Paris had this and I know a few others have moved that way too.

As Spoons says, don't go off too fast. With only about 1000 runners in the full marathon event, you will not suffer the crowding effect that you get at most of the bog events over here.

The secret will be getting to 20 miles in good shape. Then you can go for it.

Best of luck. We are all rooting for you to nail that PB.

And just found this on the race website .....

Limerick man and previous winner of the Boston and Dublin marathons Neil Cusack will fire the gun to officially start this years Barringtons Hospital Great Limerick Run Marathon race. Following a blessing of all participants by Fr. Tom Mangan P.P. St Josephs Church, and a 1 minute silence in memory of those killed and injured in the Boston Marathon bombings Neil will set over 1,000 runners on their 26.2 mile journey around Limerick City & County at 9.00am from the historic Georgian Pery Square.

So enjoy the day and bring home the bacon.

04/05/2013 at 21:26

6 mile run from me today with 3 miles at near race pace. Legs were feeling quite heavy at the outset and I had to push very hard to get my pace miles going. There is no doubt that all this speed stuff is hard work.

But a decent effort all the same. 3 pace miles at 7:05, 7:01 and 7:03. Overall 7:38 min/mile average. Cadence on pace miles was 93 steps/min/foot.

Am thinking that my second 10k (late June) will probably be my PB attempt as i am not sure I will have cracked this in time for London at the end of this month. I could not have done anymore pace miles today.

Also found that I had not taken on enough fluid during the day. I guess you need to be more hydrated when racing  short distances and I am still adjusting after the long cold winter where I did not need as much as it would appear I need now.

04/05/2013 at 22:30

Stab city ? Sounds lovely !

Good to have you back Oirish, hope things are ok with you. 

Carl - do you feel that you can get quicker with a few more weeks of training ? Have you fully recovered from Paris yet do you think ?

Ricky - has modern technology reached stab city yet do we can track you at tomorrow's race ?

04/05/2013 at 22:32

Rest day for me today after my 1.2 and 1.5 miles this week 

04/05/2013 at 22:33

And rest day for Harvey too, of course

04/05/2013 at 22:38

Good sign of things to come for your 10k(s) Carl ... If u can build that 3 mile pace towards sustaining for twice that distance you are on for 43 something which would be amazing!

Yes I read the bit about Neil Cusack - nice touch & will be a poignant start to the race with Boston in our thoughts.

Well it's 10.30pm and we,ve only just got two very excited bambinos off to sleep! Just waiting for the sleep to deepen so I can sneak MOTD on.

Off to check the weather forecast in the meantime.... Again ....

04/05/2013 at 22:44

Riverfest on in Limerick so plenty going on ... just hope tithe same cant be said for stabbings!

tracking Carter?! U must be jokin...good wifi in the hotel though so u will have to await my report with bated breath! Race starts 9am so will get u all a quick update after 1pm (hopefully!)

05/05/2013 at 07:46

limerick has dawned sunny & windy - the odd shower is forecast!

Pre-race breakfast consumed and off to 'suit up' for going into battle 

Gettin a bit anxious now!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.