RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Carterusm with Spoons

2,021 to 2,040 of 4,648 messages
05/05/2013 at 07:52

Go for it Ricky! We expect you back on at 1pm

05/05/2013 at 09:24
carterusm wrote (see)

Stab city ? Sounds lovely !

Carter - when I was growing up Limerick was not the lively city that it is today (or has been in recent years). There were no ring roads and all the traffic had to go through the centre, it was grim, there was little industry left and the only thing that seemed to happen was stabbings. They made the news on a regular basis and hence the nickname. It has stuck eventhough the place has been cleaned up, had loads of investment and all that.

05/05/2013 at 09:25

Ricky should be nearly through 5k by now. That will keep him on track to report back at 1pm

05/05/2013 at 09:28
carterusm wrote (see)

Carl - do you feel that you can get quicker with a few more weeks of training ? Have you fully recovered from Paris yet do you think ?

Carter - Not sure about getting quicker for this 10k. Maybe the next one. I could not have done another mile, let alone half a mile at that pace yesterday. So over the next two weeks, I need to build on this to make sure I can hold something around this pace for longer.

05/05/2013 at 11:26

In Nottingham there is a place called St. Ann's. If you came across it on a map you might think it sounds like a lovely village. A couple of years ago it had the highest rate of gun crime in Europe. 

I think I will pop out later for a little trot in the park, about 1.8 miles should do the trick. 

Enjoy the lovely weather everyone

05/05/2013 at 11:29

Stay strong Ricky.

Going for an 8 mile trot a little later. Lovely day here too.

05/05/2013 at 12:55

Ricky - off out for my trot now. Hopefully it has gone as you hoped today.

05/05/2013 at 13:43

Hi Carl, No best not sprint it eh? We are crossing then I am going to the marathon and you are coming to the 10k's...

I too have found the transistion hard. Attbhe beginning I was not holding back enough and even now I am going in to week 14 of the 16 week plan I still have to keep an eye on the garmin and pull myself back on the long runs. I have started going out on a Wednesday morning with a pal who is just getting back in to running and that works well for my midweek slow/ recovery run. He is beating himself up at what he thinks are woeful times, but I am reassuring him he is really helping me...lol!

05/05/2013 at 13:54

Hi Guys, I have a question, if anyone can help please?

When you are all training for your marathons, do you run a route with or without elevation?

Up until now I have been running a varied route with hills ascending and descending and some flat stretches, but mainly either up or down. Last week I found things not a struggle but probably felt it a bit more of a challenge than recently. That was my 21 mile run. I was not sure whether it was also a culmination of the training in general. I have also been trying to get to the gym a couple of times a week and perform some strengthening exercises to make sure I keep the ITB problems at bay.

I decided this week to take things a bit easier through the week. Did my runs in the week but cut down on the conditioning exercises and my 20 mile run yesterday consited of 4.5 miles generally down hill and then ran 12 miles along the canal (so flat) and then the 4.5 miles which was then mainly uphilll. I felt better than the week before, legs ached a bit in bed but this morning I seem pretty fine.

The Edinburgh Marathon is pretty flat, and now I will be going into tapering I think I will keep my two long runs left on relatively flat runs. Not sure whether last week was just a culmination of the training over the weeks or maybe just giving myself too much of a challenge on the long route....

Any thoughts advice would be very welcome...

05/05/2013 at 13:55

Carl, great work on the race time miles, what are you looking for in your 10k? I'm hoping to get mine down from 45.12 to under 43 at first then eventually as close to sub 40 as possible

ricky, looking forward to hearing how it went today good luck!

im just home from my half today with a shiny new PB!  Ran 1:39:45 really had to push hard towards the end to get under 1:40 but two weeks after VLM I'm not gonna complain!

05/05/2013 at 14:15

Sorry for delay - shower, food etc.

quick update - very warm & windy. Ran 3:47 with 5min positive split so detonated a bit in 2nd half. Heat was a big factor for me.

full report later . ..

05/05/2013 at 14:33

Ricky - great result all the same. Looking forward to the full report. Just back in from my 8.5 mile trot. Am a little hot !!!!

05/05/2013 at 15:12

Well done Ricky, 5 min positive split still sounds pretty good to me!

05/05/2013 at 15:21

Great effort Ricky, well done mate 

05/05/2013 at 15:49

Well done Ricky, that's a great effort, we all look forward to the forensics later. Congratulations

05/05/2013 at 16:11

So, I've just taken to the streets rather than the park to assess how things are. I managed 1.86 miles @ 10:18. No pain so all is good so far. Previously, the knee pain would kick in between 2 and 2.5 miles so in my next couple of runs I will be running that far so will see how things are then. It's lovely to be running in some nice weather at last

05/05/2013 at 16:18

While we are waiting for the forensic report. 8.5 miles today which is thnil ingest run since the marathon. First two miles had an elevation gain of 300 + feet. Felt not too bad when I reached the summit. First mile was about 8:30 and the second was about 9:10. Them settled into 8 min milling for the next 3 miles. Next 2 miles were meant to be close to race pace so covered them in 7:16 dead for both. Mile 8 was circa 8:20. Overall 7:59 Min/mile. 

So 4 runs this week with about 25 miles covered. 

Feel much more positive after today as have struggled with the pace miles Up to today. Tomorrow is a rest day and am looking forward to giving the legs a break. 

05/05/2013 at 17:02

Ricky - 3:47 that's brilliant well done. 5 min positive split isn't exactly detonation. 1 hour 5 minutes would be!

Nell - I like to mix up my ling runs between flat, hilly, tarmac and trails as they all affect different muscles in different ways. I often find flat is harder than hills as you use the same muscles in the same way continuously. As you say - could also be the culmination of training. 

05/05/2013 at 18:56

Carl - sounds like you are starting to build back up nicely again. 

Where's Ricky ??

Just got back from taking Harvey for a walk at Monsall Head. He spent plenty of time in the bogs and swimming in the stream. He is doing more x-training than me !!

05/05/2013 at 19:13

Carter - have to admit that today wifely the best run since I got going again. The two pace miles whilst not meant to be as fast as race pace came much easier today. 

It has taken a little while to adjust to a training plan that has much more speed work in it. 

As I said I think I will just see what happens with the first 10k and then go after a time in the second one. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.