RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Carterusm with Spoons

201 to 220 of 5,313 messages
03/01/2013 at 20:50
Carter - couple of questions: have you had pain in this area before? When did it come on? Does it hurt all the time? How bad was the pain when you were running today?
Sounds wise to rest now for a day or so and see how it feels then. How far has spoons got you running this Saturday?!
03/01/2013 at 21:01

Hi AA.

It's the first time I've had pain in this area before. On a scale of 1 - 10 I would say its about a 3 or 4 so not too bad at the moment, I wouldnt say that it was painful, more like a bit of discomfort. I started to notice it on Sunday; on Saturday I went on a 15 mile easy run and there was a section of about 2 miles that was a stoney, uneven surface. I went over slightly on more than one occassion but at the time it didnt cause me any discomfort or pain. The main area I can feel it is on the inside of the ankle towards the back between the protruding boney bit and achilles. I could feel it slightly to start off with tonight but I was aware of it all through the 5.5 easy miles. I am due for a 16 mile LSR on Saturday. I've also noticed that my trainers have had it so have ordered some new ones.

Many thanks

03/01/2013 at 21:28
Hi carter. It definitely sounds like a light sprain picked up last weekend then. I would suggest icing it for 6-8 minutes at a time a couple of times tonight and as often as you can manage tomorrow. You might have to delay your long run a day or so or maybe do less this weekend but we will chat again tomorrow to see what we can do.
Do you only have 1 pair of running trainers? Might be a good time to invest in a new pair, but don't throw out your old ones, keep them for shorter runs so you don't wear your new ones down too quick.
03/01/2013 at 21:33

Thanks AA

03/01/2013 at 21:33

Thanks AA

03/01/2013 at 22:11
Thanks AA, much appreciated.
I already have a pair of road/off road hybrid type trainers and there are plenty of trails round here I could run on. I have ordered some new road shoes as well that will be delivered in the next couple of days.
One question regarding something you said. You said to keep my old trainers for short runs. I thought that once your trainers were showing signs of wear then you should replace them. I didn't realise it was ok to use your old ones for short runs ?
Thanks
03/01/2013 at 22:24

Got to the running track tonight to find that the floodlights were off and park closed  so over the fence I went anyway ...

Only problem with running in the dark is that I could not use the backlight on my sportswatch to monitor my pace as I had set my watch to manual laps to capture the 800m intervals and tapping the watch for the backlight activated the manual lap time so I had to run blind.

Did 7 and a bit laps as a warm up at 9:52 mm pace, followed by :

Interval 1 (800m) 3:09 mins

Interval 2 (800m) 3:12 mins

Interval 3 (800m) 3:15 mins

Interval 4 (800m) 3:12 mins

These times equate to an average of 6:30 - 6:35 min/mile which is much quicker than I thought I could do.

I walked / jogged 400m in between each interval and finished off with about 4 laps to cool down in 9:549 mm pace.

The 400m recovery laps got a bit longer each time and certainly by interval 3 I knew I was pushing it but decided that I might as well finish strong.

I cannot say that I enjoyed it but did feel good afterwards when I realised how fast I went and how consistent I was too.

I need to think about how I build on from here. Should I repeat the 4 reps next week and then move to 5 reps the week after ?

03/01/2013 at 22:25

Carter - best to rest up for a few days to clear the niggle as it is too early in your schedule to risk making it worse. I had a calf problem a few weeks before my first marathon and had to keep going to the physio so that I could go back out and run ny LSR. In reality I should not have run the marathon but as I was doing it for charity I did.

03/01/2013 at 22:47

One other point about the running track. It is located at the bottom of a hill in one of the highest parts around where I live and the wind comes over the top and is always in your face as you come round the top b end and down the finishing straight. It is then calm as anything on the back straight. If you run the wrong way round it gets you in reverse so to speak.

Tonight was no exception and the wind was very strong going into the finishing straight.

Made pushing for the line a little tough.

Legs don't feel too bad at the moment. Interesting to see how they are in the morning.

04/01/2013 at 07:42
Rest day. How nice.

Was a bit tired when I got up first thing but feeling much better now that I have been moving about so to speak.

Enjoy the day.
04/01/2013 at 07:53
Carter- did you manage to get some icing done?
There's a lot of research into trainers going on for more miles than the suggested 500 miles so in my honest opinion I wouldn't worry doing shorter runs in old ones. Also ive heard It can take up to 48 hours for the cushioning to return to optimum in trainers so its always good to mix and match them and keep your newer ones for longer runs.
04/01/2013 at 08:40

Hi AA

I did some icing last night and am working from home today so will do it as often as I can.

Thanks for the info about the trainers.

Will kepp you posted

04/01/2013 at 08:57

Hi Carl

Excellent dedication to get into the track when it was locked up 

Do you find it easier/better doing intervals on a track ? I chose a fairly flatish route near me to do mine but I stil ldont think it's ideal; you've got cracked paving stones, tarmac that is raised or dips, stuff lying around, lamposts and bus stops to navigate etc. I can imagine it to be quite tricky when running flat out to focus totally on your running. I might try looking for a track near me 

04/01/2013 at 09:34
Definitely much easier to do it on a track as you say nothing to negotiate and it keeps you focused. Also you can see the finishing line so you know how far you have to go.

If there is a running track closeby it would be well worth giving it a go.

Another advantage is that it is a softer surface so the impact is less and that must be good to help prevent injuries.
04/01/2013 at 11:03

Carl - that's awesome well done mate

I would try mixing up the distances. e.g. - 400m reps x 12. These could be run a little bit faster pace than the 800s. Good to get your legs going even quicker. Or, 1200m reps x 4 or 5. These would be a little bit slower pace but being longer will make you stronger.

I would gradually build up over the next few months to around 20x400 or 10x800 or 6x1200 or 5x1600 or even 2 or 3 x 2400 (those are tough).....

04/01/2013 at 11:14

Carl - maybe we should consider doing 500 x 3600 intervals 

04/01/2013 at 11:16

I have located the Don Valley stadium in Sheffield I can use for my tempo and interval training runs

04/01/2013 at 12:01
carterusm wrote (see)

Carl - maybe we should consider doing 500 x 3600 intervals 

No doubt there is some Ultra event out there that would require such madness

Spoons - just what I was looking for in terms of where I should go with these type of sessions. Doing the same thing every week cannot drive the kind of performance improvement that is needed here.

Will build this mix of intervals into my schedule.

04/01/2013 at 19:01

Carter!!!! I venture back to your thread and you are asking if you should rest!!!!! Shocked is not the word!!

04/01/2013 at 19:54

I have a friend that runs 100 mile ultras for England...... On a 400m track

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.