RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Carterusm with Spoons

2,261 to 2,280 of 5,430 messages
19/05/2013 at 09:35

Big G - I think the lowest mileage plan being 55 miles might be why I have not gone there before. Everytime I heard about it, the mileage seemed well beyond me. But as Spoons says probably worth a read so I will order it from Amazon so that I can keep up with you all.

Taking my litttle boy to the footie this afternoon so talk later.

19/05/2013 at 13:58

Hi all

Wella after a weekof rest and recuperation sponsored by Guinness I tentatively went out for my first run this morning since last weekend and as a member of this thread was fully expecting to spontaneously combust or get hit by a meteorite to keep up the level of luck we all seem to enjoy.

The good news is neither of these events occurred to me,in fact it was fairly event free, a nice 7.5 miles @ 8:15 avg. It all felt pretty good with no noticeable discomfort orprotest from any parts.

So next up is the Southend HM in 3 weeks 

19/05/2013 at 15:21

Hi folks,

Good running Oirish. Guinness is underrated as a race preparation supplement!

Just back from the Sudbury Athletics club 10 km race, near Wembley in North west London. Like I said I havent done a lot since the marathon so was good to get out in a race, which I find always drives me on. It was a very small friendly race, charge of a tenner, which was goo dvalue for what they laid on. There were approx 100 runners, although I think only around 75 did the 10 k. I managed it fairly comfortably in 49 minutes, which I was happy with and I have found has got my buzz going again to start training properly again. Next up for me is the hampstead mid summer 10 k race on 23rd of June. Should be a good one if a little hilly.

All the best to everyone

19/05/2013 at 20:34

Bruno - really good running from you today considering that you have not been focussed on it since the marathon.

You are right. The Hampstead midsummer 10k is a hilly one indeed. It is my local and I will also be doing this. It is 3 laps of the heath extension adjacent Hampstead Garden Suburb. There is a climb of about 1km in length after the first half km. I reckon it will be a killer on the third lap. I drive part of the route on a regular basis as I use it as a  cut through but have never run it. 

Will use this during June and report back.

Edited: 19/05/2013 at 20:37
19/05/2013 at 20:45

Oirish - well done you for dodging the meteorite on your run today.  After last week must have been good to have an uneventful run.  Also looks like you are not suffering any I'll effects so that bodes well for your HM.

19/05/2013 at 20:59

Oirish/Bruno - good running from you boys and nice to see no further injuries gained. 

Carl - hope the ankle is improving and you can focus on your 10k training. 

I went out today and as the sun was shining I thought I would hit the trails in the peaks. I managed just under 2 miles and had to turn back as it was murder on my legs due to the rocks and bogs and the fact i havent run on the trails for ages. So I hit some country lanes and it was a glorious day and really enjoyed it. The good news - I managed a total of 8 miles and it was 7.5 miles before the knee started playing up. This is an improvement of 2 miles on my previous run. The bad news - the knee is still hurting a bit now. Previously I was only getting the pain when I was actually running so not sure what's occurring with the post run pain as well. 

19/05/2013 at 21:11

Well done Bruno - good running.

Oirish - no lasting damage from your bambi on ice moment which is great!

I have only run 3 times in the last 2 weeks now cos of this groin strain and am hating it! Spent today giving car a thorough post-winter valet including de-tar and polish followed by a tense 90 mins watching the Gunners do just enough to secure CL football for next season

A gentle run scheduled in for tomorrow evening to assess the groin niggle... Keep insisting with Mrs RickyW that a massage in the affected area will work wonders but she's not having it!

So Carl - am I right in thinking you are next up for racing duty? How's the ankle today?

19/05/2013 at 21:33

Ricky - on the train back to London after watching Carragher play his last game. Something my little fella will remember for a long time. 

Ankle is giving me no trouble doing normal things. 3 hours gardening yesterday. Walked from Anfield back to the train station tonight. 

However there is one spot on the ankle bone and it is still sensitive and every so often I get shooting pains from this spot. I am heading to Madrid first thing tomorrow with work back Tuesday night. I am hoping it will have eased by then and will then try an easy run on Wednesday night. I might have to invest in an ankle support for the race as a precaution. 

19/05/2013 at 21:45

Carter - good to see the mileage increasing. Maybe it was the first mile or so on the trail  where the underfoot conditions were probably too much for the `old` joints..

19/05/2013 at 22:23

Good man Carl - you'll be grand. I hear Carragher had a 35 yd rasper hit the post! Looking forward to last MOTD of the season in a few mins time!

Carter - the mileage is increasing so that's a good thing. Seems to be a slow recovery though which is bound to be frustrating

19/05/2013 at 22:28

Indeed Ricky/Carl - I'm due to start my P&D for Chester the first week of June but not sure if I will have enough miles in the legs by then. Yes, very frustrating indeed !

20/05/2013 at 09:01

right after reading all the comments about P&D i have to see what all the fuss is about so ordered my copy to arrive sometime this week!

my youngest son's christening over the weekend so did my longer run on sat morn, nice steady 9miles at just under 8min/mile pace. tempo tonight, gonna aim for 1mile warm up then 3-4miles at little under 7.00min/mile pace. First 10k of the season on Sunday so fingers crossed for a sub 45min time! (current PB is 45.12 but Im hoping for a sub 43 by my last 10k this summer)

20/05/2013 at 19:45

Tempo went well, warmed up with a 8min mile then 4 miles at 6.55, 6.51, 7.03, 6.57. Was struggling at the end but kept pushing.

something I have had problems with lately is that my garmin and my mapmyrun ap on my iPhone don't agree on the distance I am running! I've been using mapmyrun to record my workouts but have recenstar gone back to using my garmin also as its much easier to keep track of my pace. But my garmin consistently shows less distance covered (and therefore slower mile splits) than my  phone ap.  

20/05/2013 at 20:06

Andrew - I use my garmin and strava and they are fairly similar regarding distance, not so much with elevation and calories but that's not as important to me. I tend to think that as we pay so much for our garmin equipment, and they are meant to be the experts in this field, that the measurements on garmin are more accurate than any free aps. That's my thoughts anyway

20/05/2013 at 20:15

Spoons (and anyone else who has an opinion feel free to add your two penneth) - as you know I'm currently building back up my base in preperation for my next marathon training. I have a couple of options for the next few weeks but am not sure which way to go. They are:

1) continue increasing my runs by 0.5 miles each time. This doesn't exceed the 10% guideline. I'm currently up to 8 miles

2) do all my runs at 5 or 6 miles and one long run at the weekend which I would increase by 2 miles. 

The weekly mileage is similar but I'm not sure which option would benefit me most before I start the structured training plan ?

I've also got it in my mind not to start doing any speedwork til my long run is 14 miles; at this stage I think I could say, with a reasonable amount of confidence, that I am over my injury. 

Your advice on this would, as usual, be appreciated. 

Cheers

Edited: 20/05/2013 at 20:19
20/05/2013 at 23:13

Andrew - great tempo run from you tonight. Based on that you should easily manage a sub 43 mins on Sunday. Regarding the garmin. All I know is that mine measured my February HM spot on but was measuring short for my marathon in Paris which apparently is normal. I would agree with Carter it is probably the most accurate but depending on local conditions msu sometimes measure different to other devices. 

20/05/2013 at 23:17

Carter - I would have thought that increasing your long run should be the focus with the other runs during the week being about building a base. I would tend to agree with you on the speedwork. Interesting to hear what Spoons has to say.

20/05/2013 at 23:53

impressive pace there Andrew! I used to use runkeeper app and similarly the garmin always measured shorter. The garmin is more accurate for the simple reason it records your position much more frequently than the free apps i.e. over 100m the app might only work out speed and distance over 3 reference points recorded whereas the garmin will take maybe 10 reference points of your position along the same distance. Therefore by nature of it collecting data more often it has to be more accurate. If that makes sense?!

Carter - I would agree .. build the mileage on your long run.

Mental monday at work today so didnt get running until after 10pm tonight. Ran a gentle 5 miles @ 9mml pace on the treadmill. Groin felt further improved but not completely gone. Proving a slow one to resolve

21/05/2013 at 05:37

Carl/Ricky - thanks, that's what I thought too but...I can only run 7.5 miles before the knee pain kicks in. That means I would be running a few miles with pain on my long runs which may slow down my recovery ? Whereas by increasing each run by 0.5 miles i would be running with pain for less time each run but on a more regular basis. 

21/05/2013 at 08:55

Carter - yep - go for number 2. You could build in some light speedwork. Just not eyeballs out. Just chuck in the odd 5 minutes in the HMP-MP range. That shouldn't aggravate things too much.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.