RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Carterusm with Spoons

3,801 to 3,820 of 5,458 messages
22/12/2013 at 19:25

All, good to see that some are still braving the elements . It is a tad windy out there. Got back out this afternoon for my first run since last weekends HM and my incident on the stairs.

7.5 miles in and around Hampstead Heath. Very slippery underfoor conditions on the trails / paths in the woods.

Full report later when I have had a chance to read back .....

And I am running London in April ..........

22/12/2013 at 19:30

Andrew/Ali/Nell - this is a real tough time to get all those runs in. I doubt there are many people out there who can fully follow their training plan at this time of the year, I most definitely cant.

So, for the above reason, I am just going out for a run as and when I feel like it and do as much or as little as I want. Today, I thought I would mix it up a bit and do 2 mile warm up, 2 @ MP (8:30), 2 @ HMP (7:30), 2 @ MP and 2 miles cool down. Here are my splits.

Mile 1 - 9:36

Mile 2 - 9:41

Mile 3 - 8:40

Mile 4 - 8:43

Mile 5 - 7:20

Mile 6 - 7:16

Mile 7 - 8:07

Mile 8 - 8:16

Mile 9 - 9:30

Mile 10 - 9:35

Total distance was 10.2 @ 8:41. I didn't look at my watch once so was running on feel. I have been rubbish at judging my pace before but this was a lot better. Miles 6 - 8 were run into the wind up a slight incline so pretty difficult to judge. I felt really good on today's run, the best I have felt in months, the old legs felt really strong so I am very pleased with that. Total mileage for the week is 40.5, which again is the most I have done in months. 

22/12/2013 at 23:48

Carter - great mileage at this time of year.

23/12/2013 at 09:06

Ali, sorry to hear that you have been feeling down. Fingers crossed things pick up for you soon. I think you have the running attitude spot on, when your not feeling great about life, just running without any pressure is great just you and the road/trail. Hopefully will help to clear the mind at least for a short period.

Carter, good running, i like the mix of pacings, ,at give that a go sometime.

nell, bionic mountain goat is a very apt description of him!

wind here is horrible and raining, so just off for my delayed LSR of about 12 miles... Joy!

23/12/2013 at 09:12
I'm in Birmingham at the moment about to catch a train back to Devon. Hopefully the journey won't be too bad; there are no cancellations at the moment so I've got my fingers crossed!

Carl!! London??!?! How've you managed that?
23/12/2013 at 10:40

Ooh Carl, well done mate. How have you wangled that ??

23/12/2013 at 13:19

Those dodgy dealings are starting to pay off Carl? are you running a gold bond place.

Wind thankfully didn't pick up too badly until the last few miles.  my long run today had to become close to a LT run in the end as I was running out of time to be home by the time I had promised my wife. So although the first mlies were at a good steady pace, the last 4-5 were much quicker than I would have liked. Didn't feel too bad mind and I'll be resting tomorrow and quite possibly Xmas day also.

the splits today were: 9.41: 10.08: 10.16: 9.34: 9.27: 9:47: 9.05: 8.45: 8.10: 7.49: 7.44: 8.05

so was the wife right to insist on me being home by a certain point?? Of course she was... She is always right!

23/12/2013 at 22:58

Ali - nothing like a good hard run to sort your head out!

Carl- woop woop on London! Please tell us more?!

Carter good run there - and noooo I won't be doing Glencoe... although I do have a mountain marathon pencilled in for June!

Nell - I know what you mean on the treadmill - its just so boring which to me makes it feel much tougher than a proper outdoor run. The I-player does help though.

Ran the 10.5 ml "hills of Hell" route on Sunday morning with 7 others from the Sunday morning crew (was a hit last week so they wanted to do it again!). Very cold - 2 layers + running jacket ... a few us almost came a cropper on black ice too! Tough run - struggled on last 2 miles - avg pace 8.24 for the run.

Christmas Cracker team trail run on Saturday which should be fun

Edited: 23/12/2013 at 23:00
24/12/2013 at 07:44
We were in Birmingham and came back to Devon on the train yesterday. I was worried about getting back but we were lucky and arrived ok. There were speed restrictions on the line so there were some delays but that was fine. Some people were getting really angry with the train staff about the delays, as if they could do anything about the weather. I know it's stressful making train connections etc, but what could the staff do? The train companies had already said that tickets would be valid on any train so I'm not sure what else they could do in the circumstances.

My club had organised a 'Mince Pie Marathon' yesterday which is a 5ish mile run, going between 5 or 6 clubmate's houses for mince pies and port etc. Unfortunately it was canceled due to the weather which was the right decision, but I feel sorry for the hosts who probably got food and drink in for the event.

I got a 6-miler in along the seafront yesterday (I checked the tide before I went and it was out, so safe from that perspective). It was windy/rainy but I found it exhilarating!! I didn't look at my watch at all, but it was nice being out running for the first time in 3 days.

In case I don't get back to the forums soon, Merry Christmas to everyone!
24/12/2013 at 09:54

Got up this morning and could hear the wind, mind you heard it through the night!

Decision, 5 miles in the howling wind or go down to the gym and run on the treadmill. the wind won!

Wasn't really as bad as I thought it would be although near took my head off in places :0) Glad I chose to go outside though, felt better for it. Funny as that was one of the most satisfying runs for a while....odd as not particularly super fast as the wind was bashing me around, (finished in 37:50 mins) but it did feel quite an experience running uphill against the wind.... I suppose to coin a phrase from Big_G it was quite exhilirating!

Happy Christmas folks!

24/12/2013 at 11:42

Good running boys. Mrs C is at work this evening so I will go out for a trot later. It's blowing a gale here as well. 

Have a good Christmas everyone, see you on the other side

24/12/2013 at 20:40

Have been having a mad week but when do I not these days.

The weather has been wild so for those who have done some running well done.

London .... yes .....

I was not convinced about Milton Keynes so was looking around ....

By chance I came across a small childrens charity who were looking for runners for London and they were prepared to negotiate on the guaranteed minimum level of sponsorship. So I thought .. opportunity... London is my home marathon ... It is not the usual level for a gold bond place, which are tough at these times , so why not.

Training starts proper next week. This is serious now.

Anyone else doing a parkrun tomorrow.... I have got a pass .... Amazing ... I have never run on Christmas Day before .....

Happy Christmas everyone. Enjoy ......

25/12/2013 at 11:38

Good morning and Happy Christmas everyone.

And what a nice day it is here. Hard to imagine that not far away some people are flooded and without power ....

I was awoken early this morning to a whirlwind of energy rushing through the house and rushing back pstairs to tell us that Sant had come and there were presents. Dragging myslef out of bed, I settled down i a chair to watch the presents be opened in a mad feeding like frenzy ....

Then I realised that there was only 15 minutes to get dressed, out the door and cover the 3/4 mile to teh start of the parkrun... I am lucky being close ...

Left the house with 4 mins to the off. Normally it starts a few minutes after 9 but today with less runners I knew I was pushing it. Got to the start area as the introduction talk was finishing and the runners were all heading for the start line so I tagged onto the back  ....

I have never run on Christmas Day before and it was great to get out. Cold but the sun was coming out ...

I reckon there were 70 + runners in total so not a bad turnout.

I gave it a good go. It was tough. I spent a large part of the race passing people out, particularly on the hills. It was very slippy underfoot in the wooded sections and I nearly lost it on one corner when I had no grip whatsoever.

A strong finish got me over the line in 23:19. I reckon I finished in the top half of the field.

9 parkruns for me this year so far.

Now back to work. Need to start preparing the dinner as I do the cooking on Christmas Day in our house. I think I am now entitled to indulge ever so slightly ....

25/12/2013 at 11:38

Merry Xmas all.  I just got a cheeky 6-miler in so I an eat more mince pies later 

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/465898/gallery/img_0213_0.jpg?width=350

25/12/2013 at 12:24

Good stuff Carl & Big_G getting out today. I did my 11 miles last night while Mrs C was at work. Went up into the peaks with my head torch and it was blowing a right old gale and was icey under foot right at the top. 

I too am cooking dinner today. The duck is just about done and the pork is well on the way so I should hit my 2:00 target ! The bottle of Rioja is calling me so I'd better get there. Have a good 'un everyone

25/12/2013 at 23:38

Merry Christmas all! Hope you have all survived the constant barrage of food & drink!

Off out in the morning to run off some today's indulgences....

26/12/2013 at 23:27

Merry Christmas everyone!  Hope you had a lovely day.

Well done to those who went running!

I did a Xmas parkrun with my mum, conditions were terrible (very windy) and I had drunk a tad much wine the night before with my friends, but I still managed round in 23:38 which I thought was respectable given the circumstances 

I had got in a run on Monday night too followed by a short gym workout, then Tuesday and today off (working sadly) but I am a day off tomorrow and will go running again.

I got a garmin for Xmas, anyone else get any exciting running gifts?

27/12/2013 at 05:33
No running yesterday but we got our usual long Boxing Day walk in, between pubs We walked just under 10-miles and I won't tell you how many drinks I had

My club have a planned run at 10:30 this morning (10 miles), which I'm going along to. Then, it's a trot around a parkrun on Saturday and a possible 10K race on Sunday, which could be 'interesting'.

It's blowing a gale down here in Devon too.
27/12/2013 at 09:12

Morning all. I have eaten and drunk far too much and feel rubbish today. I think a day off the juice is in order and some sort of run. Tis rather windy up here too

27/12/2013 at 13:06

8 muddy xc miles done. It hurt a lot........

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.