RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Carterusm with Spoons

461 to 480 of 5,559 messages
22/01/2013 at 17:28
Carl - are you doing your tempo run at the track ? My track is shut so will have to run on the roads, subject to the conditions
22/01/2013 at 18:34
Normally do the tempo on road and intervals at the track. Expect the track to be covered in ice all week.

There is a chilling wind here so might be driven indoors.
22/01/2013 at 19:30
The track was closed so attempted a tempo run outside. Both the pavements and roads were either ice, slush, snow or clear. It proved difficult to run at a consistent tempo pace as I was jumping from pavement to road all the time. So I took in a couple of hills and did a version of hill reps but without doing the downhill bits. On the flat I pushed it where I could. Ended up with 7.1 miles @ 9:15 so a decent session under the circumstances
22/01/2013 at 20:29

Decided that I will brave the conditions. Back later.

22/01/2013 at 21:39

Good luck. 

At the minute you just have to do what you can do. I found a hill that was clear so did some hill work. Hopefully all this nonsense will be over soon, but it could easily stay until March....

22/01/2013 at 22:19

Back in and no broken bones.

Foortpaths were still full of snow / ice / slush so took a slightly different route to get to my loop around Regents Park to do my speed section. Did the majority of this on the road and only time I nearly came a cropper was when I had to move onto the fotpath to avoid a car that came too close

Strong headwind in places particularly for a half mile section where it slowed me down as my breathing went missing and I was struggling but picked it back up again to run the speed section at a relatively consistent pace over 25 minutes.

Stats as follows :

Warm Up - 1.61 miles     9:02 min/mile

Pace -   3.39 miles    7:19 min/mile

Cool down - 2.12 miles   8:43 min/mile

Overall 7.14 miles at 8:08 min/mile.

Very pleased with that in the conditions and while somewhat slower than last week, I maintained the 25mins at pace and felt much stronger during the cool down. And after all it is a recovery week.

Looks like the running track is closed at the moment so I might have to improvise for my intervals later in the week.

Not sure if I am due any more snopw this week. The forecast earlier today was talking very very cold later in the week but now it is just very cold.

Easy 6 miler tomorrow night.

22/01/2013 at 22:40
Well done Carl, another good session.

I'm thinking of changing things around a bit this weekend. Saturday I will do a few easy miles, say 6-8. Sunday there is the Tigger Tor that I might enter. It's a 10 mile fell race up near me but if I do enter it I won't be racing, a target of 2 hours or so. That, of course, depends what the weather is like
23/01/2013 at 08:44

Good work Carl

Carter - why not race it?

23/01/2013 at 10:22
I've got liversedge HM 2 weeks after and am aiming to race that for a PB. I'm still new to ghis racing malarky so learning how my body copes with races. My only previous half took me 3 weeks to fully recover. Also, I've never done a fell race before. It includes a bit of navigation, of which i dont have any experience, and checkpoints. I know the area well, as i do some of my training runs up there, so should hooefully not get lost ! I think I would like to see how they work and get a bit of experience under my belt before racing one.
23/01/2013 at 12:28

Fair enough!

23/01/2013 at 13:08

That said, there is every possibility that my competitive nature will take over and I will run as hard as I can !

23/01/2013 at 21:25

23/01/2013 at 21:44
All the snow here has now frozen making any sort of speedwork difficult. So, as things are, for the next few days I think it will be regular shortish runs to keep the old legs turning over. I might even attempt a parkrun on Saturday !
What are conditions like were you are now Spoons/Carl ?
23/01/2013 at 22:25

A strange mixture of snow, ice, slush and mud

23/01/2013 at 23:45

It was bitterly cold here with rain at times tonight but did an easy 7 miles at 9:12 min/mile. Underfoot conditions are improving still slush of varying degrees in many places.

I am optimistic that the running track will be open tomorrow so I can get my interval session in. Nothing to base this on but if the thaw keeps going I am hopeful.

That said they are talking about more snow tonight  / tomorrow.

24/01/2013 at 06:51

Weather forecast for here is today 0, Friday 1, Saturday 2, Sunday 9 degrees

24/01/2013 at 08:31

Best get your sun tan lotion out !

5.4 miles this morning on the way in to work @ 8:42m/m. Still icy in places and carried my kit but pushed it a little bit were I could. 

24/01/2013 at 18:45
Return journey from work to car 5.4 @ 9:25. Schoolboy error by having to carry my laptop and my kit
24/01/2013 at 20:42
Spoons. wrote (see)

Weather forecast for here is today 0, Friday 1, Saturday 2, Sunday 9 degrees

Crickey - that's balmy weather! It's currently -6 here.

@Carterusm - I've made the same error a few times. I've found a decent backpack has really helped with the weight distribution and aches.

24/01/2013 at 20:55

I've run with a backpack loads (mine is an inov8 one) but never with anything as heavy as a laptop. Swap it for an iPad?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.