RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Carterusm with Spoons

801 to 820 of 5,050 messages
13/02/2013 at 20:58

Nice run Carter - manflu can't be that bad then.....

Hannah - you don't need to run a good half to run a good marathon although it's a nice confidence builder. You need to be able to though. I am also suffering with injuries and was finding the pressure of a spring marathon was making me make the wrong decisions hence I'm still injured. So I decided to forget about the marathon and concentrate on building fitness back slowly. If I'm magically marathon fit in April I'll do it but I doubt it. I've run loads of marathons so I don't have a burning desire to do this one badly if you know what I mean. 

13/02/2013 at 22:17

Good decision to rest tonight Carl.

Carter I ran two sessions with cold "above the neck" and then it moved to my chest... pretty sure those two sessions were responsible for causing it to move into my chest though. So take it easy! That said if I get another head cold will I stop running? Nope probably not ......

So tonights 4.5mile session was hills & a threshold mile on the way home:
1.2 mile warm up
1.2 miles hills (10 reps with jog down recovery)
0.7 mile recovery/9.30 mml pace
1 mile threshold @ 6.57
0.4 mile cool down/10 mml pace

First sub 7 mile I've seen on my watch since I last ran in 2006!

14/02/2013 at 09:07

Wow Ricky, well done you - that's a very fast last mile. I spent a while last night looking at all my times for the past few years. It was a bit depressing looking at how slow I've been the past two years, but provided a lot of food for thought and made me realise that, even when I am slow, I still love running!!

14/02/2013 at 09:52

That was quick Ricky

14/02/2013 at 10:10

Very speedy Ricky, well done. I'm normally quite fortunate in as much as when I have a cold it is normally only a head cold and doesnt spread to my chest. I tend to get wrapped up in plenty of layers when I run so hopefully this will allow me to get a 20 miler in on Saturday.

Hannah - with some speed sessions I'm sure you will get faster again (if an old fart like me can do it I'm sure anyone can !).

I'm due to do intervals tonight but as the man flu is lurking albeit it's not too bad, and I did a tempo run on Tuesday and a quick run yesterday, I think I will go for a gentle jog at lunchtime and take in a couple of the undulations around Nottingham.  The calves are a lot better today and overall I feel fully recovered from my efforts on Sunday. It feels like good progress is being made now

14/02/2013 at 12:25

Sounds sensible Carter and promising for your long run

14/02/2013 at 12:35

Hi all - sorry to hear you're not 100 pct yet Carter. I seem to have been harbouring the remnants of the grade lurgy I had a few weeks ago and that's making me damn tired still, or perhaps it's the training!  Anyway, did pilates class today and aftter that did a progressive tempo on the treadmill, though did have to encourage myself not to give up in mile 4!

w/u Mile 1 - 9.53

Mile 2 - 7.55

Mile 3 - 7.40

Mile 4 - 7.20

c/d Mile 4 10 mins

14/02/2013 at 13:47
Ricky - great last mile.

Carter - you must not have proper manful if you are able to get miles in at that pace.

Hannah - stay positive. Stick around with us and we will see you through.

I must admit to feeling a little better today but am not risking a run tonight. Head is still heavy with it but the good news is that the voice is getting stronger.

If things keep moving in the right direction then I might try a short run tomorrow to loosen the legs up for my big LSR on Saturday.
14/02/2013 at 14:15

Carl - I think you will find that I do actually have a 'proper manful' !!!! I have a bit of a cold as well !

Hannah - good session of mile reps there, and at a decent pace too !

I did 6 easy miles at lunchtime down by the Trent at an average pace of 9.35

14/02/2013 at 14:40

good work on the treadmill Hannah! I find the teradmill tough going at that sort of pace so can understand that 4th mile must have been a tough one!

14/02/2013 at 22:28

Lunchtime running is only a pipedream for me Carter - sounds like a nice relaxing run which you probably need right now.

Wonder how Carl is getting on with fighting off the manflu?

Here's a question to which I'm open to suggestions:
My thursday run is the 3rd consecutive run of the week coming on the back of speed sessions on tues & wed (tempo & hills respectively). It is in my Hal Higdon plan as a MLR but with no particular pace suggested. Friday is rest day then Sat is my 2nd MLR usually done at MP with Sun finishing the week with an LSR.
My question is what format/pace should my Thursday MLR take? Easy run, MP, Some tempo mixed in, intervals, fartlek?

I always go off on my 1st warm up mile with nothing really planned. For instance tonight I initially thought just a comfortable MP type steady run. Then with half the session done I decided I would run the last 4 progressively faster - a sort of very controlled tempo build up I suppose. Here were the splits etc:

8 miles - 1:07.16 (avg pace 8.25/avg HR 149)
Mile 1: 9.15    Mile 2: 8.39    Mile 3: 8.34  Mile 4: 8.21   Mile 5: 8.22   Mile 6:  8.13  
Mile 7: 8.08   Mile 8: 7.45

Don't want to be wasting a session with junk miles!

14/02/2013 at 22:40
Hi Ricky - if you have done two speed sessions on Tuesday and Wednesday then I think that the pace you ran at tonight is too quick, to the point where this is a speed session as well possibly. I have my speed sessions on Tuesdays and Thursdays with a MLR on Wednesday which I run at the same pace as my LSR i.e. 10:00mm. I think the thought is that if you do speed sessions on two consecutive days this is overdoing it and may have a knock on effect in your next run. Could you change your MLR and second speed session around ? Also, I see you are running two MLRs but no recovery run ? What pace, time and distance do you run these at.

Germs are currently running through our house with mrs carter suffering from flu, the proper type not the bit of a cough type. I've got my snotty as the day has gone by but fortunately I have a rest day tomorrow so hope to be fighting fit for my LSR on Saturday. There seems to be a lot of it about at the moment.

Stay warm and healthy everyone
14/02/2013 at 23:12

14/02/2013 at 23:23
Oh dear Carl - bad to worse?

Yes Carter I could swap wed & thurs around so the first MLR is sandwiched btween the speed sessions - good thinking. Kinda like to get the two toughies outta the way early in the week though lol.
Recovery run - would be a mon after LSR on sun however until this week I usually had total rest on a Monday . Did 3 mls easy on treddie as my 1st recovery run on Monday past so will probably make it a regular mon thing from now on.

Carter it's Valentines night so if you are going near the wife make sure you don ur germ warfare suit
15/02/2013 at 07:36

Ricky - I'm always wearing it when I go near her !! Another thought about your plan. Might you also be better switching your Saturday and Sunday runs around and then resting on Mondays ? Would it be better goign into your LSR after a rest day rather than after a MLR ? If you have a hard MLR you might not feel, or be able to, have a good 20 miler the next day ? Spoons was being wined and dined last night so I guess he will be online later to give you some advice

Still full of cold today but a planned rest day.

Looks like Carl is still a bit under the weather too

15/02/2013 at 09:54

Hi all - feeling full of the joys of spring after an easy 3 miler, avg pace 9.13 in glorious sunshine. In fact, I had thought I was in danger of becoming a gremlin, having not seen the sun for so long. Nice to stretch the legs out after yesterday's treadmill session, but only thing that is slightly bothering me is that for last three runs, I've had a real pain on bone at top of arch when I start running, could also be the joint, which eases off after a mile or so....any thoughts?

15/02/2013 at 12:36

Ricky - there's no such thing as junk miles. Do the Thursday MLR slowly. Preferably, swap the Wednesday session with the Thursday MLR.

Hannah - you mean the arch under the foot?

Sun is shining here

15/02/2013 at 12:38

sorry i mean the top of my foot, above my arch...have very high arches!

15/02/2013 at 13:15

Well hello one all the sick and able alike.

Now I know this is going to jinx me but somehow despite all the bugs this year I have had not the slightest sniffle all winter. So wishing you al  well and a speedy recovery.

I held off posting until I'd done a couple of more runs and experimented with mixing up my runs so here are the scores from the Oirish jury.

Weds - Hill session.

Now this was "fun", a few things to consider here.

I love hills going up, hate them going down.

My timing system was paused for about a mile midway causing me to lose track of time and distance.

This was my first attempt at pacing myself.

I very easily get carried away.

The plan was good, two roads a mile long running parrelel connected by a series of side roads in a kind of grid all of which are hilly, perfect so I ran a mile trying to force myself to warm up and slow down before running up the first hill, back down and then along to the next junction and repeated up and down and along. In all 7 times out and 7 times back and then a warm down.

I mapped it out at a shade over 7.5 miles (see getting carried away) The whole shebang taking me 1:06:23. All of which I found fairly comfortable. The only problem was the continuous running up and down outside a primary school playground at lunchtime 8 times as the school is between two of these side roads.

Which brings me to this mornings little adventure. My first attempt really to pace myself and to get a feel what different paces feel like. Here are my splits:

Mile 1   8:37 I was trying for 10 and this felt slow so god knows what a 10 minute mile is.

Mile 2   7:36 Quickened up a little, to a pace I felt I was pushing at and included a sodding great hill I'd forgotten about

Mile 3  8:38 A recovery pace(?)

Mile 4  9:00 An even bigger sodding hill and country drivers trying to ram me into bushes I was concentrating on staying alive and was up and down banks which must be great cross training

Mile 5 06:43  Fully refreshed and safely on a bridlepath I opened up, this was tiring

Mile 6  09:16 A warm down and gentle canter home, well the paper shop.

To be honest I have no idea if these runs were good, bad, indifferent or pointless although the change was good and rather than switching off I found myself concentrating. It is going to take a while to get a hang of pacing different tempos but we can only try.

All feedback will be gratefully received.

Far more importantly I know you wanted to know how Me and Mrs.Oirish enjoted Valentine's. Well it went down a storm. Wednesday I walked to the posh jewellers on the corner and caught the bus to the out of town shopping village where I purchased Sports Direct's finest running shoes, a sports bra (looks like a stunt parachute but I was mistaken) and yards of pink lycra, yards and yards.

Well the look on her face when she opened it up was a joy to behold. You see I built the tension, first I handed her a small velvet box and to be honest I could of easily just got her that because her eyes lit up like bonfire night when I handed it to her but no there was more....... inside the box was a key, a mystery key. You could tell it was a mystery because she looked very confused when she openend it.

"Tis the shed key" I announced and I don't know if she'd been peeking but I swear I saw a tear welling in the corner of her eye. Together we went to the shed and retrieved her gift wrapped presents. Back indoors she opened her trainers first and boy oh boy was she overjoyed, in delight she took one in each hand and threw them in the air, so overcome with emotion was she that she couldn't bring herself to open the other presents and shot out of the room.

Several hours later after she had compose

15/02/2013 at 19:26

Getting very frustrated.

After putting so much effort into this training it is annoying not being able to run.

Voice still not great and yes I do not need my voice to run but my head does not feel as it should and if I was being honest it has gone below the nexk.

I have been dosing myself with every flu product known to man and have increased my intake of fruit.

I am so desperate to get out there tomorrow to do my LSR but do not want to put everythig at risk.

What does a week out of a schedule mean to overall performance ?

What impact will it have on my HM next weekend ?

I guess I will have to make that decision in the morning.

This blasted manflu just does not want to go way. I have not yet given up hope of doing my LSR tomorrow but need to wait to the morning to give my

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.