RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Carterusm with Spoons

861 to 880 of 5,047 messages
18/02/2013 at 10:00

Morning all.

I am doing the Halstead & Essex marathon on May 12th. Well I see that in terms of events I have drawn the short straw, no bright lights or big cities for me just Essex countryside which may sound like some bucolic idyll but as far as I can tell from my training in reality means hedgerows for 26 miles and the scent of manured fields clogging up your nose.

God I miss living in London and feasting on the fumes of the Finchley road.

I will be going to watch the VLM so it might be an opportunity to meet a few of you in person and cheer you on. 

18/02/2013 at 12:19

Carter - no races planned for me at present....

Oirish - my GF is thinking about doing Halstead so I may see you there (in a supporting capacity). If I do go I'll be on my bike telling you to get a move on  

18/02/2013 at 12:29
Spoons - thanks for the advice for this week. I will follow that an see what happens. Am feeling much better so tomorrow should happen. Will also be trying out my new Garmin that has been sitting looking at me since last week.
18/02/2013 at 12:33
Hannah - I am doing the Baldock Beast HM. Going to be an up and down event narrow in places and some off road stuff so if I can get round in a decent time - need to decide what this might be later in the week - I will be pleased.
18/02/2013 at 12:36
Carter - was up in your neck of the woods this morning. Got off a train at Market Harborough at about 9am, went on a car trip to visit a facility at Old Dalby and now catching a train back to London from Loighborough.

The sun is shining and it is a beautiful spring day. !!!
18/02/2013 at 12:43

Hi all - managed 3 miles very slow at 10 min miling today. Bit concerned about my right foot, which is pretty sore at the top. Not sure what to do about that, so might need to rest it for a while.

18/02/2013 at 12:44
Oirish - the joys of the countryside. Manure, cows and hedgerows. The joys of London. Fumes. Traffic lights and people getting in the way.
18/02/2013 at 17:46

Park run saturday!  And also managed to do 14 miles yesterday SLOW!  In fact it was a little too slow.  But I was extremely hungover and ran the first 3 miles with a beginner at our new running club so was good to pace myself with her.

Spring is definitely in the air

18/02/2013 at 17:54

Forecast is for snow to return at the weekemd. Just in time for my HM. Nice.

18/02/2013 at 18:13
Southern softy !!!!!!
18/02/2013 at 18:55
Carl - how is the man flu now ? Will you get out for a couple of runs before your half or will you have to leave it til the race itself ?

Do you fancy living in the country rather than the city then ?
18/02/2013 at 19:14

Spoons - All support will be greatfully received, bring a loud hailer to make yourself heard above the sound of my breathing. No chance that bikes a tandem is there?

Bt all accounts it is a very well reviewed race, it'll be my first marathon in a few years and my first that isn't a big "event" race so I am really looking forward to the challenge.

Carl - What you don't get in London is pensioners in 4x4s coming at you at 40mph as you dive into a ditch as an emergency procedure. To be fair to her by the time she had finished wondering how a flourescent yellow cow had got on the road she was past me, that 4 wheel drive is vital to nip into the village on pension day.

I use to run home from work and would beat the traffic in London, it never moved fast enough to endanger me.

Snow is good, it get's my trainers clean 

18/02/2013 at 21:23

I lived in Lndon for 15 years. I don't miss it at all. I like living by the sea. Much nicer

18/02/2013 at 21:38
carterusm wrote (see)

I thought it would be useful to make a list of who is running which race. I've gone back a few pages to get the names of the recent contributors but I couldnt find which race everyone was running.  So, next time you post a comment add which you race you are running.

Pete - Manchester

Rachel - Manchester

Carl - Paris

Will - 

Ricky -  Belfast or Limerick

Hannah - London

Oirish -

Spoons - ??

Dobster - London

Big_G - 

Carter my race is either Belfast on 6th May or Limerick on 5th May.

I have ordered some 4:1 and isogels to experiment on long runs... If they don;t all fit in the bumbag on raceday i'll probably carry the extra couple and take them first. I always carry 500ml of water in my hand on the long runs so will just replace this with 500mls of 4:1.... might have to place someone strategically at the 18ish mile mark of the race though with a refill for me!

18/02/2013 at 21:48

3 mile slow recovery run in the treadmill this evening.

18/02/2013 at 22:19

Carter - I was on the phone home to my mum last night and doing my best to conceal that the fact that I had contracted the dreaded manflu but like all good mum's she worked it out and gave me all sorts of advice which I have dutifully ignored.

I have been able to talk today so I must be better or at least better enough to get back out.

I naturally have not fully recovered from the manflu as it is not something one recovers from that quickly.

I am planning on running tomorrow evening as I declare myself fit and well to don the running attire and get back out in the dark and cold. 

18/02/2013 at 22:21
So there is Spoons who has lived just about everywhere.

Oirish, who may or may not be Irish and lives down south (Dorset ?)

Ricky, who is entering either Belfast or Limerick, so I'm assuming is Irish, or at least lives in Ireland.

Carl who is from the emerald isles but lives in London.

I've from Nottingham but live in sheffield.

So, from what I can work out, not many of us on this thread appear to live in the place they were born ?
18/02/2013 at 22:23
oirisheyes wrote (see)

Carl - What you don't get in London is pensioners in 4x4s coming at you at 40mph as you dive into a ditch as an emergency procedure. To be fair to her by the time she had finished wondering how a flourescent yellow cow had got on the road she was past me, that 4 wheel drive is vital to nip into the village on pension day.

Oirish - but you do get gaggles of people who wander aimlessly in front of you even when they see you coming. Could be tourists but most likley students who have nothing better to do than take up the whole footpath.

18/02/2013 at 22:26
Ricky W wrote (see)
carterusm wrote (see)

Pete - Manchester

Rachel - Manchester

Carl - Paris and Dublin

Will - 

Ricky -  Belfast or Limerick

Hannah - London

Oirish -

Spoons - ??

Dobster - London

Big_G - 

18/02/2013 at 22:42
carterusm wrote (see)
Ricky, who is entering either Belfast or Limerick, so I'm assuming is Irish, or at least lives in Ireland.

Correct Sherlock - although I live in that small bit of Ireland at the top that can't agree about flags  and only live about 12 miles from where I was born... so that's that bit of your theory blown out of the water!
My sister has lived in Stoke-On-Trent for the last 17 years... so I do feel quite close to Robbie Williams - having the same initials and all that

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.