RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Carterusm with Spoons

941 to 960 of 5,452 messages
22/02/2013 at 22:32

I am trying SIS gels in my HM on Sunday.

I have tried High 5 in the past but did not fancy them. I once tried the lucozade gel but that was the worst.

22/02/2013 at 23:16
Thanks guys. I don't think I could carb load to the extent that Ruth mckean suggests Carl. How is the man flu now ? Do you think you will be up to 100% for Sunday ?
23/02/2013 at 07:16
My high5 pack of 4:1 drink & isogels arrived yesterday ... Will try them out on tomorrows LSR (isogels aren't as bulky as I feared)
Good luck with your long un today Carter.
23/02/2013 at 07:56

Ricky - I ordered my 4:1 drink yesterday and I'm going to pop out today and pick up a selection of gels from the local Runnersworld store and begin experimenting with them on my LSR tomorrow.

Carl and Carter - Good luck with your runs guys. 

Spoons- I'm doing a 13 tomorrow. Gel wise would you say one about halfway is about right?

23/02/2013 at 08:42

Carter - it is a difficult one that. Not sure that I am 100% fighting fit. But lets see what another day of rest does to that.

Going to go and get my race number today and have a look at the course. Want to get a feel for the first few miles to work out what my starting pace should be.

23/02/2013 at 09:28
The white stuff is coming down and is getting heavier.
23/02/2013 at 10:29

Carl - each to their own but that sounds like a lot of food. I thought I ate a lot. I don't like racing feeling bloated and full. 

Oirish - I take a gel halfway round. I've seen people carrying 10 gels on a half!

23/02/2013 at 12:23

Hi all

Having a nightmare this week   Did my 14M sunday hungover, don;t think I warmed up properly and my calf was twinging (where the calf and shin bone meet near the front).  Played netball Monday and it was fine but hurt afterwards.  Rested Tuesday but then did some sprints Wednesday and 8 M thursday and now it's sore.

I have iced it and rested yesterday and today.  Any advice on how long to rest it for and what do I do about missing my 16M run tomorrow?  Do I run when I feel ready and do the run my plan tells me to or do I try and get a 16M in this week when I am fit again?  Am a little worried, just need someone to say it's ok and that resting it will be fine and I won;t lose all my fitness!!!!!

23/02/2013 at 14:28

Rest it. Massage it. Stretch it. Ice it. If in doubt, go and see a sports masseur or a physio. Cross train (non impact like elyptical or bike) to keep fitness up. 

Carter - how did you get on?

23/02/2013 at 15:09

Should I use a roller on it?  Thanks for the advice!

23/02/2013 at 15:24
Spoons - agree it seems a bit much so will just be doing my own thing.

It is going to be freezing tomorrow struggling to get above -1 C. Would you wear an extra layer and maybe a running cap ? It will take miles to warm up if ever.
23/02/2013 at 16:05
Carl good luck tomorrow - look forward to reading all about it!

Oirish - just watch gel types .. Some need to be taken with water only in order to be absorbed. Hi5 isogels are ok though to take with a sports drink.

Dobster - rotten luck... Rest up for a few days & cross train if it makes it easier to mentally cope without running!

Hope Carter didn't get lost on his LSR today!

Just took an easy paced 8 miles this afternoon in prep for another 20 miler in the morning. Pace worked out @ 8.53 today with a nice low HR of 146 which is close to my LSR HR (20 mls last sun avg HR was 143). Based on the HRs I appear to moving in the right direction
23/02/2013 at 16:28

Carl, good luck tomorrow.

Dobster, hope you're feeling better.

I'm having to miss my LSR this weekend (or at least cut it massively short) as I can't get out for long enough with nobody to look after my little one. Still, my wonderful friend has just watched mine plus her two kids whilst I escaped the house. Three kids under 6 years old for 24 hours and it's no surprise I ran a bit fast on my 30 min steady run.

It ended up being a 4 and a bit miles at 8.54, 8.27, 8.26, 8.08 , so 8.30 average.

I'm going to try and get out early tomorrow for 10-12 miles, but might be a bit tricky.

Still, I feel a lot better after today's exercise.

Hope you're feeling okay ahead of tomorrow Carl and all those doing LSRs tomorrow are ok

H

23/02/2013 at 17:31

Dobster - yes - foam roller calves, shins, hams, quads and glutes. Search on YouTube for advice.

Carl - re: the cold, I'm not the right person to ask as I would wear shorts and vest. Not because I'm hard but because I'm always too hot after a couple of miles anyway. Best of luck for tomorrow. How are you feeling now? Better?

Carter either got lost or took the slow running idea a bit far....

23/02/2013 at 18:16

Maybe I will bump into Carter tomorrow when I am runninga round in the middle of nowhere .....

Have picked up my race number and had a drive around the course or at least those bits I could drive on.

There is absolutely no way I will get a PB on this course and may even struggle to get close to my PB.

It starts rising from the start and immediately goes onto a narrow gravel path that can probably take 2 /3 side by side that climbs up to get over the motorway. It rejoins a road (narrow and they will be open to traffic) after about a mile. It then has two hills over the next 2/3 miles. Only good thing here is that what goes up must come back down.

It then climbs up into another village and there is a short downhill stretch before going across a field. Once back on the road it climbs again and then plateaus out for a few niles through another village but this is where there is about a 1km stretch in woodland and loads of sharp bends on the road.

There was frozen water on the sides of teh roads in this area. This is the furthest point out on the course and it turns back for home.

Back through the village and then a different route back that descends for a good distance but is twisty and then comes to a T junction and just starts to climb and climb (this is around 10 miles). This will be brutal as there has just been so much hilly stuff before you even get here.

Then down / up / down / up over the hills from the early few miles and then back down to the start / finish via the narrow gravelly path.

So it is going to be a really tough one and a very cold one.

I think this is going to be as much mental as physical as it will not allow consistent miling. I think I am going to have to try and use the downhills to make up time but without going crazy and use the flat sections to recover.

If I can get to the climb at 10 miles in reasonable shape I can then begin to pick up the pace to strike out for the finish. But to get to 10 miles in good shape....

Spoons- re your question on how I feel. The manflu is not 100% gone. Its tail seems to be taking a while to depart.

Now completely confused on pacing strategy. Hopefully a good nights sleep will get me in the right frame of mind.

23/02/2013 at 18:33

Hope so. Run on feel rather than being a slave to the garmin. Whatever your time it's a good training run for the marathon which is the main goal.

23/02/2013 at 18:57
Thanks Spoons. Seems like that is the only sensible strategy.
23/02/2013 at 20:13

Oirish - hope you have a good run tomorrow.

Dobster - take it easy and get recovered as soon as you can.

Ricky - the HR  must tell you your fitness is improving.

Hannah - well done for getting in a cheeky little run.

23/02/2013 at 20:15

Carl - you never know mate, you might have a really good day and get a new PB. Never say never eh. What's your current PB ?

Good luck anyway, not that I think you will need it as you were running strong before the man flu so hopefully youre back to near full fitness.

23/02/2013 at 20:16

Spoons - how's the drinking in London town going ?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.