RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Carterusm with Spoons

1,041 to 1,060 of 5,187 messages
28/02/2013 at 10:51

Morning all, 

6 miles easy this morning which was the dull but nessacary run of the week. 9:02 average.

Spoons/Carter - how many MP miles is plenty? The wording in my plan from this website is slightly vaguer using words like "brisk" and "steady" etc. reading in-between the lines it is fairly easy to workout the pace they mean but I'm interested in your recommendations for mileage over the coming weeks.

My ex-wife is a ginger too, "Auburn" if we must. This isn't the reason we split, her being as mad as a bag of snakes probably had more to do with it. Anyone else know someone who has a strict order of cushions on the sofa from left to right at all  times?  and that was one of her more rational habits. Still as my daughter, Mrs. O jnr likes to sing to the Edwin Star tune "War"  "Gwah! What are they good for? Absolutely nothing. Say it again" her flamed haired step-sister finds this hil-a -ri-ous

Ricky - I agree with all of the above re your run, I have been admiring your stats and it has been a really  impressive few weeks from you just put it to bed and move on, we all have the odd disappointing run, if it were all easy and straightforward where would the challenge lie?

Hannah - Sign me up for the inaugural "Paddington push" it sounds like you have stumbled onto a themed event built around London train stations, presumably the water stations will also be serving a range of hot beverages, snacks and light refreshments, a variety of rolls and panninis aswell as crisps and will be located at the rear of the race?

We could be on to a winner here, weather permitting. 

28/02/2013 at 11:32

Oirish - MP miles. 4 of my remaining 8 LSR's contain MP: 3 of the others are over 20 miles so dont include any MP and the other is the weekend of my HM.

• I'm not including any MP in runs over 20 miles
  • I'm not running any more than 5 MP miles in one go; if the plan says run 8 @ MP I will split them into 2 x 4 miles e.g. 6, 4MP, 4, 4MP, 2 = 20 miles
  • The most MP miles I include in one run are 10
  • As I taper I reduce the amount of MP miles
28/02/2013 at 11:53

Cheers Carter I'll look to incorporate something similar in to my plan if it isn't already in there. 

28/02/2013 at 12:57

Oh Oirish, now your talking...

I can see it now: the Waterloo Waddle, the Kings Cross Canter, the Marylebone Mile, and the Euston Yomp, and what manner of gorgeous refreshments we'd have, and there'd even be an obstacle course feature if we hosted it at rush hour with the commuters - brilliant!

I'm pretty knackered after last night's work event and less sleep than I might have liked, or perhaps it was something to do with those intervals. Still, I did Pilates for an hour, which is always highly entertaining as I am almost half the average age of the class participants and almost half as bendy.

I rectified my inferiority complex by a run at HM pace on the treadmill, which would have been at HM pace if I had figured out what HM pace was. So did 5 min warm up, then 3 miles in 24.30,, with five mins more a tad slower and then a cool down.

Ok, off to think of more names for station runs!

28/02/2013 at 13:03

Carl - if you were making an effort to slow down it sounds like recovery it starting to happen. I would try the intervals tonight but be prepared to do less of them and cut the session short if you're struggling.

oirisheyes wrote (see)

My ex-wife is a ginger too, "Auburn" if we must. This isn't the reason we split, her being as mad as a bag of snakes probably had more to do with it.

I know exactly what you mean!

oirisheyes wrote (see)

Spoons/Carter - how many MP miles is plenty?

OK - I keep going on about 80% or so of mileage should be at a slow, easy pace. This is to build a really strong aerobic engine. The remaining 20% should be either MP or speedwork. The MP is best to do during long runs, preferably in the 2nd half. You don't need to do that much. I would say 4 long runs with MP is fine plus MP stuff during the taper to really get you used to running MP. Running too much at MP is probably the most common marathon training issue. You're in the grey zone, not getting much bang for your buck and building loads of fatigue.

28/02/2013 at 14:24

I went out for a little jog at lunchtime with no intention of running a set number of miles or to a certain pace; it ended up as 2.9 miles @ 8:49. It made a pleasant change to just go out and run, I must do it again soon. As such, I've knocked today's track session on the head because a) I'm a bit tired from the extra MP miles yesterday (which I have taken out of my plan for the future) and b) it's Mrs CarterUSM's birthday today so I think we are going for a couple of shandies to celebrate (Spoons - I've now lost 1 stone during my training campaign and I've a planned rest day tomorrow so I dont think a couple will do any harm ). Fortunately, she does not have ginger hair. Unfortunately, she does possess the ginger trait of being as mad as a box of frogs.

28/02/2013 at 17:04

Crikey Carter! well done on the weight loss!! Impressive! Enjoy your evening!!

28/02/2013 at 20:02
On the ginger theme - I have a hint of it going on in the old beard growth . Two daughters who are undeniably strawberry blonde, third daughter is blonde and only son is also blonde. It appears then the strawberry blonde gene is my fault as my wife is dark - under certain lights my hair colour has been known to be compared to that of Andre Villas Boas ...

I too have decided to rest tonight - had a hill session planned but I have already just done two speed sessions on consecutive nights and am thinking i have two heavy weeks ahead and want to be a bit fresher going into them. Feeling a bit guilty - I really am taking the p**s out of this cutback week .... Mmmm maybe I should go out and do a short easy run..

Carter funny enough I have also lost almost a stone also since 1st Jan... 14'6 to currently 13'8.... Last to go is the beer gut though! This the lightest I have been in about 15 years - 12'7 I think is my bottom weight so a bit to go yet . What about you - are you at your fighting weight now?
28/02/2013 at 20:41
Not yet. At the beginning of last year I was 15st 4lbs and am now 12st 12lbs. Like you it's the lightest I've been in 20 odd years since 'retiring' from playing footy to focus on drinking beers and eating kebabs. Ideally I want to get down to 11st but the older I get (45 now) the more difficult it gets. I would be happy to get to 12st. After this marathon I've got lake Coniston trail marathon where I believe the first 15ish miles are uphill. In August I've got a 33 mile fell race thing and in September I've got a 50 mile ultra. So if I can't shift plenty of weight training for that lot I'm destined to look like Homer Simpson for the rest of my life !
28/02/2013 at 21:40

That's quite a schedule you have for this year Carter - fair play to you, ultra's are not even on my radar... 26.2 is plenty!  the weight should deffo continue to creep off as the year goes on then.

I was almost 17st  in March of last year - the weight just creeps on over the years with little physical activity. My weight never moved from 12'7 no matter how much beer & kebabs I consumed... until I got past my mid 20's and I guess my metabolism must have slowed and the weight gradually crept on. Started running in my mid 30's for a couple of years and got down to just under 14st again. Running stopped again in 2007 when I became self-employed and another baby arrived and the weight went back on again. So now I'm 42 and running again & much lighter & happier to boot! 

28/02/2013 at 22:15

Nice weight loss. I've done the opposite and put a stone on in the last year.... Gone from 11:8 to 12:8

Edited: 28/02/2013 at 22:15
28/02/2013 at 22:34

I thought this was a running forum not a weight watchers discussion  

28/02/2013 at 22:44

Oh my gosh Carter!! Are you really 45???? I thought I was older than you!!!? Hmm...that's means you are running very well for your age though....

28/02/2013 at 22:51

Listened to Spoons advice and decided that rather than go all out on the intervals tonight I would do some intervals and some mile at MP.

I normally cover about 3600m at inteval pace but after a 1.5m warmup, did 5x400m reps followed by 2 miles at MP.

I did not go full tilt on the interval reps. And the headwind down one side of the track was very strong. Almost a gale at times.

warmup at 8:20 min/mile

5x400m reps with 400m recovery in between.

1 - 6:25 min/mile

2 - 6:25 min/mile

3- 6:28 min/mile

4 - 6:31 min/mile

5 - 6:29 min/mile

Recoveries were 8:36 min/mile to 8:51 min/mile pace.

Followed this with 2 miles at MP of 8:15 min and 8:12 min.

Cool down 0.75 mile at 8:56 min/mile.

6 miles in total.

I think this was a good workout. I always find interval sessions a little more tiring than the other speed sessions so I don't think I am anymore tired than normal.

I think this was a good call from Spoons (thank you) as I might have had 1 or 2 more reps in me but not much else at that pace. The MP miles were easy after the intervals. It was almost a relief.

01/03/2013 at 09:27

Nice one, Carl! That looks like a great work out. I'm taking a couple of days off now before the HM. Probably a good thing as my right shin and foot are giving me a bit of grief, and I'm feeling pretty tired today.

01/03/2013 at 12:12

Good one Carl

01/03/2013 at 12:27

22 mile route planned for tomorrow, all on roads but hey thats what the marathon will be run on so it's got to be done. Food, water and fuel all ready. I have just entered the Long Tour of Bradwell fell race in August - 33 miles and 6300ft of ascent  

01/03/2013 at 13:31

Nice one Carl. Good stuff, I am starting a similar session next week and I fear that more than any distance!

Carter - Good luck tomorrow mate, I have a slightly more comfortable 16 tomorrow and have just picked up my gels so am now good to go. I got my new running shoes this morning from my local Runnersworld store -Zoot Ultra Kalani 3.0 so looking forward to giving them a bash.

As for weight loss I am 5'10" and 12.9 and eat like a horse. I was super skinny as a kid and I'm heavy for my build because apparently I have a skinny skeleton thanks to refusing milk of any description as a baby. It's always good to join a gym or have a physical as my bodyfat % and BMI are totally incompatible and watch them tapping their equipment and rechecking the charts. It took 15 years on building sites and gyms to get any shape or bulk at all.

Skinny, ginger and pale the Oirish family genes wouldn't fetch much at auction.

01/03/2013 at 13:47

Ooh err Oirish, you havent got much going for you have you !!

I'm 5ft 7" and 12st 12. I think I have Magners retention and can put weight on just looking at a kebab, therefore I just eat them. The beer gut has been with me for many a year and it will be a sad day when it finally disapperas. I could always get back in training for it to come back though.  

We had better not talk too much about weight or Carl might get upset again ! 

01/03/2013 at 13:48

I would tell you how much I weigh but a lady never tells

1,041 to 1,060 of 5,187 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.