RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Carterusm with Spoons

1,361 to 1,380 of 5,190 messages
21/03/2013 at 00:24

Hi all

Sounds like everybody has been in the wars a little bit these last few days, fingers crossed a bit of rest or physio will set you straight.

Well after the weekends HM efforts I have had two runs and apart from a little niggle in the calf that was playing up last week I am back into the swing of things. My first run was a little test of the water on Tuesday, I am a Run Director for the Parkrun that we are starting this weekend in Colchester so I ran 4 miles to the commitee meeting and then the 4 miles back afterwards at avg 8:39 pace. Wednesday I did a sprint session in the company of Mrs O who has well and truly got the racing bug now after her HM effort so that was 7 miles, 2miles jog, 6x400m with 400 recovery and 2 miles @ 9:01.

Today is a 9 mile MLR before a rest day and then 18 on Saturday. Sunday is the Parkrun so I'll probably jog the mile or so there and back as a form of recovery run and that'll be another week done and dusted, 7 more to go.

21/03/2013 at 12:59

Good luck with the Parkrun Oirish

Not sure exactly on the difference between a sports massage and a physio. A physio will do massage but tends to do more looking at weaknesses, injury and giving you exercises etc. That said I have 2 sports massage people I see and they both advise on exercises etc too...

21/03/2013 at 13:09

Afternoon all!

Spoons - I really want to crack the sub 4 hour marathon so the next few weeks is really important.  As I managed 12M sunday I may attempt 15-16 this coming sunday, what do you think? (I was up to 14 before I got injured).  Although someone has told me that London is not the place for personal bests so I am open to a suggestion of booking in another marathon for after April that is smaller and will give me more time to fine tune.  How would you maintain marathon fitness after a race?

21/03/2013 at 13:12

I have got an appointment for a sports massage on Saturday morning. Will be resting today but might go for a gentle jog in the park (on grass) tomorrow.

21/03/2013 at 21:10

Good stuff Carter

PBs @ VLM mostly depend on where you are starting. Mind you the congestion will slow you down at the start which is probably a good thing. If you want to do another marathon as a PB attempt shortly after VLM you will need to take VLM very slowly. Aim for 5 hours. Walk bits. Enjoy the sights and the atmosphere.

21/03/2013 at 21:18

Dobster - sounds like a plan... VLM for the experience/enjoyment and a more PB conducive Marathon when you are in better shape a month or two later.

Well it appears my HM is in doubt for Saturday

We have received a red weather alert today for snow & blizzard conditions later tonight & all day tomorrow - 30 cms of snow predicted in some areas. Gale force winds also forecast and particularly bad in coastal areas. 10 miles of my HM route is on - you guessed it - a coast road.

The race director has a call to make on whether to cancel or not tomorrow on H&S grounds.

If it proceeds and is clear of snow the easterly winds coming in off the sea will be brutal and will rule out any PB possibilities I would imagine

Go away winter!

21/03/2013 at 22:49

Ricky - real shame if it is called off as you are in great shape and I was counting on you for a great race.

Carter - great to hear that you are seeing someone as a niggle in the knee is better sorted before you attempt the 26 miles. Personally I would see a physio but then I happen to know a very good one who understands sports injurie. 2 years ago when he was massaging my calf he told me that it was ok to scream if I was in pain. I think a physio will manipulate the damaged area better than a sports massage. But it is very much a personal thing ....

Dobster - great to see you back and going for it. VLM is a great experience. The crowds along the embankment during the last few miles are fantastic. It does however take quite a few miles at the start to get out of the crowds and get a rhythm going. Whatever happens enjoy it.

Oirish - Looks like you are going from strength with your training. And well done for getting so involved with the Parkrun. I have registered for my local one but was waiting until after marathon day to go along as the timing did not fit with the LSR's that I was doing.

Edited: 21/03/2013 at 22:50
21/03/2013 at 23:01

Still not in a good place. Taking antibiotics, vitamins, fruit, veg, probiotics, loads of fluid but only marginal change from Monday / Tuesday.

Beginning to wonder if this marathon is going to happen. I am not sure that I could go all that way to just plod around. And I know that there are plenty other marathons to do but at the moment that is little comfort ....

At the start of the week I had put today down as the day I needed to be running again. Now I am thinking Saturday or Sunday. I am trying not to think about it too much but it is hard ...

Spoons, what would you do if you were me ? (i know this is an unfair question)

22/03/2013 at 05:37
Ricky - snow here this morning too. The forecast us for more in most parts of the country today unfortunately. Lets hope it clears up as your are in good shape to go for a quick time.

Carl - there is still enough time for you to recover from being ill, do a few runs and get to the starting line in good shape. We keep getting told you won't lose any fitness in 2 weeks so try not to worry too much. Easy to give out such advice but not so easy to take it. Hang in there mate
22/03/2013 at 06:55

Carl - go to bed and wrap up warm. Keep up with the vitamins etc. And dont't panic! You've still got 2 weeks and 2 days. That's ages away. You've done the training. You got ill at the right place. The point of the taper is to get rid of your tiredness from the training and recharge your batteries. And enforced rest may be just what you need. 

22/03/2013 at 09:07

Ricky - I hope you get to race, you are my bet for a really good time, although I imagine even if it goes ahead the weather will make it challenging. Good character building stuff as I always say about things I don't have to do. 

Carl - Listen to Spoons he is dead right, all the miles are in the bank, you've trained well and now you can rest recuperate and hit the start line feeling fresh and rearing to go. Try not to worry too much, it'll be fine.....again easy for me to say.

Dobster - If I was in your shoes and I'm not a complete stranger to a stilletto I'd use VLM as a great day out, very hard course to overtake for long stretches and the field is full of runners in entirely the wrong places going at entirely the wrong pace but it is a fantastic experience with the crowds and support so drink it all in and then hit a more user friendly Marathon afterwards and push that PB.

As for me I have felt lethargic all week and had to push myself out of the door which is unusual for me, that said I've got my runs in and by all accounts here in the South East we are escaping the worst of the weather this weekend so my LSR shouldn't be too bad. 

On a different subject has anyone ever had a race photo of themselves they have actually liked? 

22/03/2013 at 09:15

Carter - thanks for the advice. You are right of course and I know it too but when it is you and not somebody else, the head begins to play mind games.

Spoons - this is where your experience comes in. 2 weeks and 2 days feels a short time to me. But I will hang in there.

22/03/2013 at 20:53

Well that's that then - tomorrows race off , decision just made by the organising club 30mins ago :

Larne Half Marathon 2013

Saturday 23rd March

RACE POSTPONED

Based on the current weather situation around the province we are regrettably having to follow the advice given by the PSNI and postpone the Larne Half Marathon to another date.

All entries remain valid and the new date will be advised in the coming days.

It is not a decision we have taken lightly, but you will understand that the situation is outside of our control.

Larne Athletic Club

22/03/2013 at 21:43

Ricky - gutted for you but with the kind of weather conditions the organisers were probablt between a rock and a hard place.

Are there any HM's in the next 2-3 weeks that you could enter as with your marathon in stab city being the first weekend of May you would still have enoug recovery time if you raced it.

Cold, wet and windy here but nothing like what others are getting.

I am cautiously optimistic that I will get out for a run on Sunday.

22/03/2013 at 21:44

What rubbish luck Ricky

22/03/2013 at 22:05

Yes Carl - I have just done a swift bit of juggling and have entered Omagh HM next Saturday (30th)... and also optimistic that the weather will improve here sufficiently to allow me to switch 22ml LSR due next Sunday to this Sunday.

Never run Omagh before so quite looking forward to it - not sure what the course is like in terms of PB potential.. must make a few enquiries!

22/03/2013 at 23:52
Ricky - that's bad luck mate. Lets hope Omagh is a PB route.

Carl - sounds like you are getting over your illness. A good weeks rest and a few runs to keep the legs turning over and you will be ready for Paris.

Oirish - I've viewed a photo of me online at my first half. It wasn't pretty I can assure you. Good that you've done all your runs but sounds like you weren't feeling your best.

So. We have had loads of snow here. I thought I would take to the paths in the woods and go round the park. I figured running on paths/grass would be ok on my knee. I ran in about 6 inches of snow on the golf course and it was hard going but i fekt good and strong abd was enjoying being out in the snow. I did 5 miles @ 10:30 and felt quite good. The knee however didn't agree and was quite painful when running but not too bad when walking. The roads round here are bad so I'm hoping I can get to have my massage tomorrow. In the meantime I have a nice bottle of Rioja keeping me company

Keep warm and safe everyone
22/03/2013 at 23:55
Oirish - that should have said you've got your runs in despite not feeling your best. Well done mate
23/03/2013 at 06:51

Best of luck with the massage Carter

it's grim outside. I'm staying indoors today...

23/03/2013 at 07:04
No massage for me today. This place has come to a standstill due to a foot of snow and no gritting done. We live in a hilly part of town and we can never get the cars out when it snows. Will need to rearrange a massage but in the meantime I will rest up.
1,361 to 1,380 of 5,190 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.