RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Carterusm with Spoons

1,381 to 1,400 of 5,557 messages
23/03/2013 at 07:44
Dropping in up see how Carter and Carl are doing.

Carter - are you injured? The last i heard you'd run a great HM. What's up?

Carl - you sound ill? As spoons says you've got loads of time. In 2010 when I was mentored for my sub 3:30 marathon I became ill in the week leading up to it with a really bad throat infection and was on antibiotics. Slept in the train down in the Friday, couldn't eat etc, went to registration but still unsure I'd be able to run. Saturday felt slightly better and decided to attempt it. The first 13 were the hardest and I felt unwell but carried on and finished 3:28. Felt 100 times better at the end. So don't give up!! In someways being ill might if helped because I was really rested.
23/03/2013 at 07:57

I remember one year I hit week one of the taper feeling rubbish. Not so much ill but exhausted and full of aches, pains and niggles. I had a full 7 days of no running. Taper week 2 was a normal training week and taper week 3 was a normal taper week 3. Marathon day I felt great. The week off got rid of all my fatigue.

23/03/2013 at 14:10
Went out this morning intending to run my 22ml LSR.

Was a last minute spur of the moment decision hastily arranged with my running bud by phone this morn so wasn't prepared as well as I might have been and had only a light breakfast.

The weather was brutal with high winds & snow flurries so it was a tough session. Pushed on to 18 mls and called it a day - avgd 9.11 mmls for the run. This felt tougher than last weeks 22mlr.

Lesson learned is dont underestimate the effect of the weather & proper fuelling does make a noticeable difference.

Any - a good enough session I think and gives me a day off/recovery run day tomorrow.
23/03/2013 at 15:00

It's truly horrible out there Ricky. That wind makes running really tough. 

23/03/2013 at 21:00
Minni wrote (see)

Carl - you sound ill? As spoons says you've got loads of time. In 2010 when I was mentored for my sub 3:30 marathon I became ill in the week leading up to it with a really bad throat infection and was on antibiotics. Slept in the train down in the Friday, couldn't eat etc, went to registration but still unsure I'd be able to run. Saturday felt slightly better and decided to attempt it. The first 13 were the hardest and I felt unwell but carried on and finished 3:28. Felt 100 times better at the end. So don't give up!! In someways being ill might if helped because I was really rested.

Minni - thanks for dropping in. Yesterday I was cautiously oprimistic that I might go for a run on Sunday. Today I am giving up on that idea. Partly due to the weather as if not 100% right this wearther is not going to help. But being honest I have felt wretched today. Worst day of the week really. OH is away so I have been running around after my 3. So yesterday I thought I ws on the mend. Today I am not so sure. It would be wrong of me to say that I am not concerned, I am. This is unknown territory. I have learned alot from this forum and trained really hard. I was feeling confident of a good race. I hear you all say that it will be ok but I still worry that it will all fall apart. I know that first I have to get better. Then I can try and work out what running I need to get in before the marathon.  Am trying to keep everything in perspective. Going to bed hoping that a good nights sleep will get me back to where I thought I was 24 hours ago.

Carter - Important you see someone. You have time to get some treatment and be in good shape for your marathon. Unlike Steve on the Asics 26.2 who has torn cartilage in his knee but is still determined to run Paris and get it fixed after.

23/03/2013 at 21:56

Carl- looking after 3 youngsters is bound to set ypu back a bit! Hope you sleep well tonight and wake up feeling loads better tomorrow!

24/03/2013 at 14:38

Hi all.  I hope everyone is doing well, and Carl I hope you recovery quickly for the race.  I'm no expert, but I'd just repeat what you've said in your own post that you need to concentrate on getting better first.

I mentioned a few pages ago that I was doing a 10K today and it went really well I'm pleased to say.  I did 6mins quicker that my previous PB, but it is a bit dubious as the first 2K was down hill with the rest being pancake flat, but with 2 or 3 twisty/slow bits.  Still, I finished strongly and got around in 43:40 so even if it's not a "true" PB due to the course profile, it shows I'm making progress.  You should be able to see the profile etc here.

The mile splits are below and this averages 07:04 min/mile overall, but I think this is probably more like 45 or 46mins on a "normal" course.  It was a good event though (it was Exeter "wrap up and run" 10K) and I think I'd do it again as it got some good support.

1 06:40.0

2 07:00.9

3 07:00.6

4 07:21.3

5 07:19.0

6 07:06.4

7 01:15.7

24/03/2013 at 15:14

Well done Big-G. A 6 minute PB is brilliant

24/03/2013 at 15:20
Yes indeed,a great run, well done big_g.

Carl - did you manage to get out today ?

Orish/Ricky - how have your weekends gone ?

Spoons - how are you progressing with your running after your injury ?
24/03/2013 at 15:24

1:45 today. All going well. Slowly but surely. No rush!

24/03/2013 at 15:25
Hi Minni - yes, I had a great PB at the South Yorkshire half last week - 1:38:04.
My knee is giving me some grief at the moment and I think it's ITB related. I've been using a foam roller but it hasn't cured the problem. It only hurts when I run but is fine when I'm sitting or walking.

I'm going to try a few easy miles in the park later and run on the snow covered grass. I reckon we've got about a foot of snow up here so that should make the run a bit harder but without to much pressure or impact on the knee.

I'm now booked in for a sports massage on Tuesday lunchtime so that will hopefully sort the problem out.
24/03/2013 at 15:32

Carter - just out of bed. Running is out of the question for the next few days unless I want to end up in hospital. This bug must have caught me on a bad day and is refusing to budge depite all the medication, fruit, veg etc. I am trying not to put pressure on myself by setting a date for a run. Obviously the longer this goes on then it has got to take an edge pff my race pace but lets worry about this in 10 days or so.

Big G - a great run from you. Well done.

Spoons - good to see you back out building slowly.

24/03/2013 at 16:43

Carter- fingers crossed that your knee issues are sorted to some degree this week.

Carl, get well soon! I need to see you two smash your marathon goals!!! 

24/03/2013 at 18:53
Big G - great 10k time there, you were really motoring. Well done!

Carter - 18ml LSR in the storms yesterday morning to replace my cancelled race ... Might run a treadmill recovery run this evening.
24/03/2013 at 20:22

Where has Oirish gone ? Lost in a snowdrift somewhere ?

24/03/2013 at 20:25

Rachel - spent most of the day in bed. Dosed myself with everything I could lay my hands on. Am feeling a little bit better than I did yesterday so that is a positive. Just as well they do not do any doping tests at these marathons as any test on me would reveal that the only thing holding me together is medication

24/03/2013 at 20:35
Carl - you're taking this tapering business very seriously ! The legs will be fully refreshed come race day.

Oirish must still be celebrating paddies day !

Ricky - another good run in the bank. Running on days like that definitely makes you mentally stronger.

No run for me today in the end. Took the mutt for a walk in the peaks but could only get so far as the snow had drifted and blocked the road. We got out at this stage and walked in 2 feet of snow. The mutt kept disappearing in the deep snow ! Anyway I think I'm going to rest until I've had the massage and see how I feel then.
25/03/2013 at 13:15

Morning all. I think some form of injury madness is starting to set in. As well as feeling that my 41 miles in the last two weeks isnt enough I'm now starting to worry about what I may be able to do in the next couple of weeks. My sports massage is tomorrow and I'm hoping I am told I can start running straight away. Is this likely or will I be told to rest up some more ? My thoughts at the moment are that I still need to get another couple of LSR's in which would mean that my taper will be 2 weeks rather than 3 so I'm currently in a state of uncertainity.

25/03/2013 at 13:29

Carter - are you still thinking of changing your running shoes if you get the go ahead after your massage?  Personally, I wouldn't do that this close to your event, especially if you have been having niggles recently.  There are lots of stories of people changing shoes or getting inserts made and then getting another (possibly worse) injury.

25/03/2013 at 13:51

Big_G - I've run in the new shoes and inserts once and didnt have any issues, at least it didnt feel like it at the time. I ran on Friday in my old shoes but still had the knee pain, although the damage may already have been done if it was actually the new shoes causing this (I dont think it is but I couldn't say for sure).

However, you raise a good point. My 'old' trainers will probably be ok to use in Manchester as, with my reduced mileage of late, they will probably still be ok to race in. Decision made, run Manchester in my older trainers. Good shout as it never crossed my mind that the new ones could have caused this !

1,381 to 1,400 of 5,557 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.