RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Carterusm with Spoons

1,461 to 1,480 of 5,043 messages
29/03/2013 at 11:02
Mrs Oirish is a lucky woman to have you
29/03/2013 at 12:51
Spoons. wrote (see)

In all honesty I would do the 2 marathons. But I would take the first one really slowly so I get the training benefit without the fatigue. The key is running slowly though. If you're the type of guy that couldn't possibly run paris in 5 hours then it won't work....

Spoons- I am probably the guy who would struggle with running it in 5 hours. That is about 11:30 pace. Not much slower than walking it.

But I am getting interested in the 2 marathons idea.

29/03/2013 at 12:58
I've got a physio session booked in for Tuesday. It's the earliest one I could get at short notice and with it being Easter
29/03/2013 at 13:16

Carter - I am booked on the eurostar which is non refundable but it is insured. So if I do not go I just need to persuade my doctor to give me a letter and no doubt that will be another £20 to go along with the £20 for giving me the medical cert that I was fit to run .... As long as I notify hotel by Thursday I wil not be charged. Race fee is only refundable if I took out specific insurance when I entered and I do not think I did. Cannot defer like you can with VLM.

I still want to go and if I do I am just going to do my best not necesisarily go after a sub 3:45 PB.

I think I need to run later today to loosen up and then go for a proper run either tomorrow or Sunday and test myself a little in this with a few miles of MP.

I will have a better understanding then of what I am capable of.

Milton Keynes is on Bank Holiday Monday (as is Limerick I hear Rickly say).

Cork is on the Irish bank holiday at the beginning of June. If I go to Paris and run it but not race at the MP that I used be capable of doing, then Cork is probably in a better timeframe to recover, train hard and taper to race for the PB. But it is not flat.

29/03/2013 at 13:20

Ricky - best of luck with the HM tomorrow. You will do very well as your training has been perfect.

Edited: 29/03/2013 at 13:24
29/03/2013 at 13:26
oirisheyes wrote (see)

All- Any recomendations for an overseas marathon either late summer or autumn? Dublin and Valencia look enticing for various reasons but as in all things in life I am open to suggestion

I am going to be doing Dublin this year. It was a bit of a toss up with New York and Dublin won !!!!!

29/03/2013 at 13:31

Carter - great to hear that you have a physio session booked. Are you going to wait until that before running on road again ? This must be really tough for you. Hang in there as you have a great endurance base built up.

Early morning sunshine has dissapeared. I will be venturing out when the OH comes back from doing the weekend food shopping. It is still chilly out there so I will be wrapping up with gloves and hat for the run.

29/03/2013 at 16:48
I'm tempted to try running in the park on the grass over the weekend. I figure it can't make it any worse but I suspect Spoons would advise me to err on the side of caution, which I think I probably will do. It's starting to feel like I'm losing some of my fitness now so hopefully a few more days rest and a physio session should sort it.
How did your run go ?
29/03/2013 at 19:36

Carter - if you cannot get to a gym to do work on a cross trainer I would forgt it. You will still be hurting the knee even if it is grass and with a knee injury it is better to be safe than sorry. Rest it, have some physio, Do as you are told to make sure you recover in time for Manchester.

So I went out there and did 7 miles today. The legs were a little heavy but that was to be expected. I ran the first easy, increased pace for the second, ran the next 3 reasonably consistently and then eased off for the final 2 miles.

This was a tough session particularly from a breathing point of view and overall it felt hard even if the intensity was not as high as previous. Splits as follows :

Mile 1 - 8:40

Mile 2 - 8:24

Mile 3 - 8:17

Mile 4 - 8:15

Mile 5 - 8:14

Mile 6 - 8:42

Mile 7 - 8:49

Overall 7 miles at 8:29 mm pace.

So its great to have got back out there. But this felt hard which I suppose it was always going to and I need a bit more recovery time to get my breathing working as it should. Not sure if this will happen in time for next weekend. Suddenly 26.2 miles is seeming an awful long way !!

I do not feel overly tired a few hours after doing this. I do know I have been exerting myself.

I guess the next run is going to hold the key to what I do.

Spoons- what would you do next ? I am assuming a LSR on Sunday (rather than tomorrow) ? Would 10 miles be too much ? And should I throw some MP miles into it ?

29/03/2013 at 20:16
Fantastic Carl that you are back running again! How did the last couple of miles feel as they were nearly @ 3.45 MP.?
Bear in mind - you will feel more comfortable over the next few runs so don't panic if today felt harder than it should. Another couple of runs before making a decision I reckon?

Drinks made up & Resting tonight ... Aaaargh the pressure with all Oirish's money riding on me!

So tomorrow .... Flat out & hang on or the thinking man's race. Which is it to be?? Will decide on after the gun goes off... but I think I know the answer!
29/03/2013 at 21:18

Ricky - overall the run was hard. Mile 1 was probably the easiest as there was not time for my breathing to go haywire. Last two mies were ok considering I had just put in 3 faster miles.

I am not going to put too much pressure on myself just yet. Need another few runs without overdoing it to try and ease myself back in. I can then think about race MP but like you I have a feeling that it will very much depend on how I feel when I stand on the start line on race day.

Go get em tomorrow. Do not let Oirish's wager stop you from going for it. Best of luck. Good running.

29/03/2013 at 22:16

Carl - glad to hear you're running again. Are you over the illness? The breathing issues suggest not but it could just be the shock to the system after not running for nearly 2 weeks. Assuming you are better I would normally suggest 8 miles but as you have had so much rest (enforced) I think 10 might be beneficial. With 4 @ MP. To be honest I'm really not sure what a sensible MP is for you now. I would see how your goal MP feels and adjust if necessary. 

30/03/2013 at 09:02

Yeah we have Carl bac.k!!  

I bet that first run was a bit of a shock to the system? The pace was good from you so hopefully once you've cleared out the cobwebs you'll be more or less back on track. I suspect your options will become a little clearer once you have done your second run.

Ricky - Good luck today, i can't wait to hear all about it. No pressure, I accept all major credit cards, postal orders or bankers drafts.

30/03/2013 at 09:44
Ouish - indeed it is good to be back.

Woke up this morning and I knew I had been out for a hard run yesterday. But it is a good feeling.

Next run tomorrow is going to be important. Hopefully as you say it will narrow down the options.

Go Ricky Go. .
30/03/2013 at 10:04
Best of luck Ricky.

Well done Carl, good to see you back in action
30/03/2013 at 11:46
Spoons. wrote (see)

Carl - glad to hear you're running again. Are you over the illness? The breathing issues suggest not but it could just be the shock to the system after not running for nearly 2 weeks. Assuming you are better I would normally suggest 8 miles but as you have had so much rest (enforced) I think 10 might be beneficial. With 4 @ MP. To be honest I'm really not sure what a sensible MP is for you now. I would see how your goal MP feels and adjust if necessary. 

Spoons - lets run with this .... yesterday was a shock to the system. Being a couch potato for the last 10/12 days was never going to make yesterday a stroll in the park. I think I am over the illneee, obviously I have not recovered from it fully which are two different things. Lets run with what you suggest and it will tell me a whole lot about where I really am.

30/03/2013 at 13:31
Ricky should be getting ready for his final push to the finish line.

Go for it. .
30/03/2013 at 15:37

Rocky - did you get lost ?

I am hoping that you owe Oirish that 50p !!!!!!

30/03/2013 at 16:55
Wonder what Ricky has been up to today . Race was on at noon so he must be done by now. Maybe there is no phone reception in Omagh ....
30/03/2013 at 17:26
Well guys I made it.

Oirish get your hand in your pocket - I ran close to my PB but no cigar. Finished with a chip time 1:42.34 - just 35 seconds slower than 7 years ago although Omagh was quite an undulating course with some long drags. My PB was set on a much flatter course so I am happy.

I also surprised myself with my discipline in pacing and ran a very even race. Start was a nightmare - 5k runners including kids & walkers all starting ahead of me near the 1.30 pacer combined with narrow streets for first two miles made it difficult to get into my stride.

Windy on an exposed section miles 9 & 10 followed by a hilly 12th mile and then a steep uphill finish made it tough.

Splits:

7.50; 7.53; 7.41; 7.57; 7.39; 7.40; 7.44; 8.01; 7.44; 7.46; 7.43; 8.05; 7.42; (0.1 6.55 pace)
1,461 to 1,480 of 5,043 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.