RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Carterusm with Spoons

141 to 160 of 5,575 messages
29/12/2012 at 18:54
Ouch! You've made a good start with your training plan, and you appear to be enjoying the experience. What do you find to be the hardest part of the training so far and is there anything you're not looking forward too

By the way I think the garmin link is private
29/12/2012 at 19:50
Thanks SC, I will get that sorted later.
The hardest thing so far is actually understanding more about each type of session and where the benefits are. Spoons has been great and answered my many questions in a way that I can understand.
What I'm not looking forward to are the speed sessions. I've never done any before and the pace at which Spoons needs me to run are, I think, going to be difficult to achieve. But I will certainly be giving them my best shot as I am a stubborn and competitive bugger !!
29/12/2012 at 22:11

Vaseline or body glide

Strava link instead?

Speedwork is fun. You'll love it. Honest! 

29/12/2012 at 22:34
I normally only Vaseline up when it's hot. I've never suffered due to the rain. Will post the strava link tomorrow.
Spoons - how did your parkrun go today ? Time ?
30/12/2012 at 00:24

Todays run on Srava - http://app.strava.com/activities/34552259

30/12/2012 at 00:27

Evening all. Been a busy day chez moi today. My OH is away due to family illness so I have been looking after my 3 wee ones. Took them to the cinema this morning and then made the foolish decision to take them into Sainsburys to get the shopping done before OH comes back. Quite stressful hour or so.

Managed to persuade a friend to come and house sit / babysit while I went out for my LSR. It was wet, actually very wet and cold and windy. Started a bit faster than planned but settled down on a long long hill (approx 1 mile long) that I hit after the first half mile, that rises about 350ft and then kept a reasonably steady and very comfortable pace for most of the 12.3 miles. It was dark and getting quite uncomfortable as the rain was coming down hard as I got to the last mile or so, so I speed up and covered this in 8m16s. My overall average was 9:25 mm but was 9:35 - 9:40 if I take out the fast finish.

Kids insisyed on staying up to watch Lord of the Rings on telly and that I sit with them so it is only now that I have got around to seeing what everyone has been up to today.

Feel pretty good considering that I adde a session this week. Plabnning 5 sessions next week and introducing some tempo and intervals so expect that this time next week I will be feeling a little tired. But as they say no pain no gain.

30/12/2012 at 00:43
Spoons. wrote (see)

The Hal Higden plan is quite good. From memory he does a lot of Saturday 10 miles and Sunday 20 miles I think? Doing long runs on tired legs.

Carl - 5 runs a week is fine, don't worry.

Spoons - 5 runs is about as much as I could fit in anyway. I was planning to tinker with the Hal H plan and combine the 2 shorter midweek easy runs into a longer easy run to remove one session. You are correct. He suggests a pace run on the Saturday building up to 10 miles and the a LSR on the Sunday building upto 20 miles with teh 10 and 20 milers being on teh same weekend. This seems a little daunting.

Most of what I have seen on RW forums would suggest a LSR on a Saturday incorporating a section of MP and then a recovery run on a Sunday.

I have to admit that I am leaning this way as again I think I can get up early on a Sunday before the family get moving and get an hour easy running in. Trying to fit 20 miles in on a Sunday could become a challenge.

So by the time I finish tinkering it is no longer a Hal H plan it is a Carl D plan.

Once I have settled the weekend sessions, the midweek ones fall into place.

Which combination of Saturday / Sunday would you recommend ?

For info, I have already got 197 miles in the tank from 31 runs and my weekly mileage this week was just ahead of the equivalent week 4 mileage in the HH plan.

30/12/2012 at 00:58
carterusm wrote (see)
Will send you my training plan when I'm next on my laptop. Most messages i send are from my phone

Many thanks for the plan.

Some spreadsheet !!

Need to study it properly tomorrow but a cursory glance suggests that you have gone through a very similar thought process to me in how you have structured your week.

Not sure that I was planning such a high weekly mileage. I am already well up on my weekly mileage from last year but someway behind what you are currently doing. I have done 33 miles this week.

Spoons, maybe you could comment on this as this might be key to achieveing my goal. Is their an optimum weekly milage at different stages and if you fall below this you just have not put enough miles in tyhe tank to achieve your target time. Might be a daft question.

30/12/2012 at 08:30

Carl - re: Saturday / Sunday long runs, the most important thing is what you can fit in around family life without pissing of the other half too much! Listen to the voice of experience on this one......

Optimum weekly mileage - it's different for everyone, but don't fall into the trap of too much too soon. Just keep doing what you are doing. It's fine. You'll end up hitting 40+ a week anyway.

30/12/2012 at 08:37

Park-run was just an easy jog round with the GF and her kids. 26 minutes. I have a 10km race tomorrow....

31/12/2012 at 06:59

Quiet on here.... Where is everyone?......

31/12/2012 at 08:05
Sunday is a day of rest ?
31/12/2012 at 08:09
Tempo run later - 15 mins easy, 15 mins @ 7:45 (or as near that as possible), 15 mins easy
31/12/2012 at 12:07

Morning all. Busy day yesterday. Took the kids to visit Tower Bridge in the morning and meet their cousins who were in London for the day; took in the football match at Loftus Road in the afternoon and collected the OH from the airport last night.

Had to go into work this morning  but hoping to get away around lunchtime as have got friends coming round for dinner and New Year celebrations later (plus kids) so loads to do.

Spoons - good advice re balancing the running with what can fit around family life.I am settling on a schedule that does the following :

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - Tempo

Wednesday - Easy Run

Thursday - Intervals

Feiday - Rest

Saturday - LSR

Sunday - Easy / Recovery

The plan this week is to get going on this, starting tomorrow,. Tomorrows run will be about 40 / 45 mins.

Looking to cover about 36 -38 miles this week.

Best wishes for the New Year to everyone.

31/12/2012 at 12:18

Loftus Road ? Ouch !!

31/12/2012 at 12:19

The plan is looking good. What sort of times/distances do you intend to run for the different sessions ?

31/12/2012 at 14:26

I was in the away supporters end so came away happy for once !!

Just finalising my plan but what I am looking at is as follows :

Tempo runs will start at 45 mins and build up to 60 / 70 minutes. Looking to start and finish these easy with a build up to near 10k Pace (7:40) in the middle. Will probably try to start these around 8:00 mm and over a number of weeks get it down to 7:40 mm.

Midweek easy runs will rise to 10miles and stay there to the taper. (Have been doing 5 - 7.5 miles during the last few weeks).

Interval sessions will be based on 800 m at faster than MP and in line with the Yasso 800 principles. SO need to be doing these in 3:45 as that is my target marathon time. Will jog/walk for 400m between each repeat.

I am going to do the LSR on a Saturday building up from my current 12 miles to do 3 x 20 miles. The principle will be 3 weeks building up the mileage, a week stepback and then 3 weeks building up the milegae again. I probably will not do the 20 milers back to back but need to see how this pans out with Paris being on 7th April and with the HM that I have planned. I will do these at 9:30 - 10:00 pace depending on how I feel.

I will then do a 6 mile easy / recovery run on a Sunday and will aim to do these at 10:00 + pace.

Need to get all this into my spreadsheet and check that the miles build nicely.

Got friemds and their kids coming for dinner early evening and I am the chef for big meals like these so will be busy for the rest of today which should lead nicley into New Year.

I will be out there tomorrow come what may.

How did you get on with your tempo run today ?

31/12/2012 at 17:12
That's looking good Carl.
The missus is off to work shortly so I will be going out then. The tempo run will only be for 15 mins, surrounded by 15 warm up and 15 cool down, due to a) i felt a bit of pain in my knee and ankle after my run on saturday. Rested yesterday snd feels ok today b) I've never done a tempo run before so not really sure how I will react c) I can't recall the last time I ever ran at 7:45 if I ever have at all and d) I have recently consumed copious amounts of mince pies, kebabs and magners so anything could happen out there !!
Away end eh, only just slightly better than being in the home end at the moment Have a good evening and new year and enjoy your run tomorrow.
31/12/2012 at 18:28

Hope the tempo run goes OK. Knee and ankle pain - how bad is it?

Carl - schedule looks sensible and good.

Happy New Year!

31/12/2012 at 19:19

Well, I'll go to the bottom of our stairs.....

Spoons - how could I have ever doubted you. ? I split the run into warm up, tempo run and cool down sessions. The warm up split came in at 9:20 but that was quite a steep downhill so ok. The cool down came in at 9:48 which was up the warm up section so still too quick really. The tempo run came in at 7:53 over the 15 minute split. Bearing in mind that I didnt hear my watch change into the tempo split until about 1 minute into it and the last 2 minutes I struggled a bit I am rather happy with the speed of 7:53. The main consideration is how my body has been abused with food and drink the last couple of weeks so all in all a good start ? The links of the run are below. Can you confirm you can see the Garmin link now as I have changed my settings. The Strava link doesnt show my splits only by mile so if the Garmin one is ok I will post that from now on.

Garmin - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/256316260

Strava - http://app.strava.com/activities/34985711

The ankle feels fine now. I suspect I just twisted it slightly on an uneven surface on my Saturday run. I strapped my knee up and that also feel ok now so things are looking good

How was your 10k ?

141 to 160 of 5,575 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.