RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Carterusm with Spoons

1,581 to 1,600 of 5,458 messages
06/04/2013 at 09:09
Oirish - best of luck with the parkrun. Hopefully in your case it will only be 5k and not some random distance !!!!!!
06/04/2013 at 09:44
Yes, Paris is on Eurosport as are Boston, Amsterdam, Berlin and NYC. I googled it a few weeks ago

Carl - best of luck. It sounds like you've sorted your strategy so try and enjoy the occasion! I'm excited with all the Paris talk and I'm not even in it! As well as Carl, there is Emmy from the forums who I'm 'following' and I have a mate aiming for sub-3. I'll be watching on TV willing you all on!
06/04/2013 at 09:59
Enjoy yourself Carl. Try and post your number so we can look out for you.

I went out for a gentle few miles this morning. Got to 2.5 miles and had to call it a day as the knee still hurts. It's not looking too promising now.....
06/04/2013 at 10:02
Big G - thanks. It is getting a little exciting. Am sitting on the train waiting for it to leave. It is delayed by 30 mins. I am told by those already in Paris that it is a nice day. Am planning to meet the Paris treedies at the Arc tonight and go for a pasta meal with them.
06/04/2013 at 10:26
Running Number 20737.

About to cross the channel. No going back now !!!!
06/04/2013 at 12:09
Carter - I would not panic just yet if I were you. You have put on some miles over the last few months so when you are standing on the start line you will know that you can get round the 26.2 miles.

The important thing is to give yourself time to recover before stressing about whether you can run Manchester.

If running on hard ground is an issue, are you able to go to a gym ?

Maybe try running on the dreadmill as this will reduce the impact. To maintain fitness you could spend some time on the x trainer if the dreadmill is still causing pain.

It's all about maintaining fitness, reducing impact and giving yourself the best chance of recovery.

Maybe you need 2 sessions with the Physio next week to get the massager etc as this is what will help.

What do you think spoons ?
06/04/2013 at 12:34
At the outskirts of Paris. 10 minutes to the station. A bit grey here.

Advice from those who have done Paris before is that it will be cool and base layer and gloves needed but also sunglasses due to glare under the cloud cover.
06/04/2013 at 13:09

Woohooo Carl! I am loving the frequent upfdates!

Carter, not good, not good at all....but it's not over yet! Get stretching!!!

06/04/2013 at 14:02

Carter - get on your bike - get some XT in to maintain fitness.

Carl - great race no: the first two digits are your age "20" and the last three describe your speed as that of a jet airliner "737" .... must be a sign

06/04/2013 at 14:20
Ricky - if only that were the case.

About to enter the Expo. Dropped my stuff off at the hotel en route.

My weather app says it is sunny and 6 deg.

There is no sun and it is cloudy and cold but all depends on what wind is blowing.
06/04/2013 at 15:05
Running number got. Has my name and nationality on it. Nice touch.

Had another snack.

Have to say that carb loading is so boring. The idea of overloading with carbs which makes you feel really full so that you can run is a strange concept. Right at this moment I would collapse with all the food I have eaten.
06/04/2013 at 15:27
Liking the updates

I got the below text message from my mate who is in Paris:
Obsessed...a word used by the sane to describe those sat picking the grit from the soles of their running shoes the day before a race...I think this may be a step too far!
06/04/2013 at 20:12
Met up with the Paris thread group and had yes another bowl of pasta.

Have got all the clobber out and checked. Running number on. Gels attached to running bel.

It was cold out there tonight and I think it will be cold again in the morning with it warming up. Probably going to go with a base layer but no gloves.

Breakfast stuff lined up. Hot water coming at 6am for my porridge.

Going to get ready for bed now, watch some tv and get some rest and hopefully sleep.

Thanks for all the good wishes.

Next time you hear from me it will be all over.
06/04/2013 at 21:01

Carl - have a good one!

Carter - get some more massage, stretching and cross training in. You can't overdo it. You aren't doing enough yet!

07/04/2013 at 07:33
Well, I'm up and about to watch on Eurosport. It looks like good conditions.

I've had my porridge and done my pre-race stretches as if I was taking part, but I'm now sitting on the sofa having a coffee

For info, there is what looks to be a good app available where you can follow progress of runners.
07/04/2013 at 08:40
Urrrm, it looks a bit chaotic at the start. Some guy ran right into a cameraman and the elites had to dodge around a lady who was out for her Sunday morning run.

Carl's safely through though
07/04/2013 at 08:44

Oooooh it's finally arrived, our first thread race day how exciting is this?

I'll be off for my 20 mile LSR about 10ish so I'll have to catch up on everything after that, although with my sense of direction I might just pass Carl anyway and find out in person how it is going.

Best of luck Carl

07/04/2013 at 08:53
Carl is through 5km in 25:50
07/04/2013 at 08:56
That's just under 4 hours at the same pace for the rest of the race
07/04/2013 at 09:20
10k @ 51:39
1,581 to 1,600 of 5,458 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.