RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Carterusm with Spoons

1,761 to 1,780 of 5,131 messages
17/04/2013 at 22:03

Carl - sounds like you are having a grand old time to yourself - enjoy! Hard to beat the Irish weather eh?!

Blowing a gale here tonite also with heavy showers so my planned 8mls of MP took place on the treadmill..... in the sunroom, with the central heating on full blast. (Mrs RW likes her heat)... I am treating it as a heat acclimatization run in case Limerick Is having a heatwave on 5th May. I can safely say I have never sweated so much in my life - for the last 20 mins of the run I could feel the sweat running down my legs into my socks and was able to ring my towel out by the finish!

68 mins for the 8 mls so 8.30pace - felt ok though despite sweating buckets!

Carter - don't envy you in the gym. Maybe a good opportunity though to put in some core strengthening work though which will protect the knees in the future.

18/04/2013 at 07:03

Oirish - tough times, very sad

Carter - basically I did as much cross training as possible of as many different varieties to give me a more rounded fitness and strength. When I started running again, I only did easy running at first, only 3 times a week, and a literally started at 15 minutes. I added 15 minutes per week to the length of the runs. After a few weeks I introduced a 4th run. I did no speedwork at all until I was up to 2 hours and felt strong. As I was running much less I kept up with the cross training (and still do now). I intend to keep up with the gym as much as possible moving forward. It all sounds really long winded but I hope to come back much stronger for it. This week I have a 2:45 LSR and have done 12x400s and am doing a hilly tempo run tonight. 

My cross training was a mixture of swimming, cycling, ellyptical, step, rower, weights, core, yoga, pilates and walking. Walking up in the Peaks where you are is great ultra training. Get some 20 mile walks in up and down the biggest hills and you'll have great endurance. 

18/04/2013 at 07:47

Spoons - as boring as the gym is I will keep it up. I'm now wondering about my race plans for the next few months. Assuming that my knee is ok in 6 weeks time that will take me up to the end of May. I have Lake Coniston trail marathon on 7th July which I have no intention of racing but I would like to run it if possible (I've booked this one in a bid to get Mrs Carter on my side with this running malarky by promising her a week in the Lakes). That would leave me with about 5/6 weeks from when I start running again up until Conistion. Is this going to give me enough time to build up a sufficient endurance to be able to complete this marathon or will I have lost too much whilst being injured and have to build it back up over a longer period of time ? I appreciate it is difficult to put time scales on this following an injury and people react differently and people have different levels of fitness before their injuries, but I wondered, with you being an experienced runner, how long it will take me to get into condition where I could complete a marathon after my injury ?

Cheerful Dave    pirate
18/04/2013 at 08:54

Carter, people do react differently but I can put my own perspective on it - a few years ago I didn't run for around 8 weeks through Jan and Feb with ITB issues, but I did cycle etc.  Started running again in March and ran a pb in London in April about 6 weeks later.  Although to be fair I had run an autumn marathon beforehand so I wasn't starting totally from scratch.

6 weeks would be plenty to run at Coniston as you won't lose all the benefits of your training so far if you can keep ticking over with some other exercise.  It might not be the quickest possible, but as long as you run it sensibly it'll be fine.

18/04/2013 at 09:03

Cheers Dave, that's good to hear.

18/04/2013 at 10:02

Hi all,

Thanks for all your kind words. I did run last night, one of Mrs Oirish's friends came around with a bottle of wine so I made myself scarce and boy did it feel good 

I didn't have much of an idea of I wanted to do so just wandered out and ended up doing 10 miles @ 7:59 average. It all came together in the last couple of miles, mile 9 was 6:36 and it felt like I left a lot out there and came home in a much better state mentally and physically.

On the plus side of all this is that my race is just 3 weeks away on Sunday which has crept up on me a little bit, so the excitement and madness can start creeping in now.

Carter - My intsincts tell me that you would be better off aiming for an early autumn marathon and taking a slower and more methodical cross training approach to building to a marathon. There are lots of quirky and interesting events throughout the summer to keep you sharp running wise and the benefits of your time in the gym would be considerable.

Also I think this is an opportunity to keep your training varied and entertaining whilst building a great level of all around fitness before heading before your 26.2. If you go for Coniston will you really be able to enjoy the build up fully with all the potential injury doubts and race against time to get fully fit?

I suppose it comes down to what you want out of the race, I'm just thinking of it from my perspective and what I would do in your trainers.

Carl - Your run sounds great. It is amazing how in certain circumstances conditions and weather that would be a massive no no are really good fun.

18/04/2013 at 10:31
Carter - looks like you are sorted them. We must pull together a list of all the races that folk are doing for the rest of this year.
18/04/2013 at 11:17

Carl - sounds like a great run.  I feel fortunate to live both very near the sea and also Dartmoor.  I occasionally go out purposefully when it's blowing a gale or there is thunder & lightening in the air to run near the sea (when and where it's safe to do so obviously!) as it is somehow inspiring and refreshing - I always come back buzzing after those runs, even if it's only 3 or 4 miles.  I tend to leave the Garmin at home on those days too, or at the very least cover it up so I'm not checking paces etc and am just running for pleasure.

18/04/2013 at 12:57

Carter - We must pull together a list of all the races that folk are doing for the rest of this year. Indeed, lets keep this updated as I keep losing track of who is running when

July - Lake Coniston trail marathon - Carter

August - Long Tour of Bradwell (50k) - Carter

September - Ladybower 20 - Carter

October - Chester marathon - Carter

18/04/2013 at 15:44

Carter - as Oirish says, an Autumn marathon would be better but, as CD says, 6 weeks is perfectly doable, the key being that you treat the marathon as a LSR.

June - Wales Trail Marathon - Spoons

July - Lake Coniston trail marathon - Carter

August - Long Tour of Bradwell (50k) - Carter

September - Ladybower 20 - Carter

October - Chester marathon - Carter

18/04/2013 at 18:12

I soooo want to do another race...but am sticking to my guns and waiting a while yet...I will still be hanging around here though, cos I'm not losing touch with you guys till I've beaten Carter- I need witnesses!

18/04/2013 at 20:14
Spoons - Chester is my 'A' race now. The other 3 will be,as you say, treated as LSRs. My training plan has now extended to October to include those races as such. Is the Wales marathon an undulating course or will you be looking for a PB ?

Rachel - are you definitely waiting til next year to do your next race then ?
18/04/2013 at 22:17

Who knows Carter..I desperately need a goal to motivate me to run consistently, but am going to wait a bit till I'm sure my alopecia is resolving. Every week is better, and I have another derm. appointment in a few weeks, so we'll see what he has to say!

18/04/2013 at 22:42

I haven't thought much beyond Limerick on 5th May other than my postponed Larne HM which has now been rescheduled to 8th June and probably Dublin as an Autumn Mara.

We have an HM series over here which is basically a championship of10 HM's with best 6 times to count (3 races must be pre 30th June & 3 races must be post 30th June).... so I might give that a go.

Rachel - I'm like you ... I enjoy training much more if it has an end goal such as a race.

Oirish - great run from you... cracking pace on mile 9!!

Did my first taper week LSR of 14 miles tonight (swapped it from Sunday as I'm doing the Titanic 10k instead).... windy & showery all the way - ran last 4 @ MP and averaged 8.57 pace for the run.

Encouragingly, whilst my right knee has ben gradually improving, this was the first run that I didn't feel it either during or after... so touch wood I think it has sorted itself out

19/04/2013 at 07:02

Carter - that's great and will build you a strong endurance base for Chester

Wales trail marathon will not be quick. It's all offroad running round Snowdon national park. I hear many of the inclines are walk only steep....

Good news re the knee Ricky

19/04/2013 at 20:02

Oirish - very sorry to hear about your difficult times.

Thanks to you and to everyone else for the advice head of VLM on Sunday.

I have decided to aim for 3:50 but if I don't make it, not the end of the world and will be happy to just get round on my first marathon. My running number is 38897 in case any of you are watching. Its a canary yellow 'Dog's Trust'  vest I will be wearing, the charity I am running for. The chest infection is 80% gone and still 36 hrs and a few more antibiotics to take so hopefully will be okay. Did a 5 k on Wednesday and Thursday and felt okay on each day. resting up now.

Thanks again to all and I will of course let you know how it goes

19/04/2013 at 20:14
Go on Bruno. Best of luck !
19/04/2013 at 21:03

Good luck Bruno!

19/04/2013 at 22:25
Bruno - best of luck on Sunday. First marathon. Enjoy the experience. Let the crowd on the embankment carry you home.
19/04/2013 at 22:26

Fantastic Bruno - very exciting  ..... will keep an eye out for you & keep tabs on your progress with the tracking app!

Best of luck, enjoy.

Looking forward to the race report!!

1,761 to 1,780 of 5,131 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.