RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Carterusm with Spoons

1,841 to 1,860 of 5,331 messages
23/04/2013 at 20:45
Cross trainer + stepper + rowing machine + bike + cross trainer again + a few weights + loads of stretches = gym = boring. Only another 3 weeks to go before I run again.
So with all the recent issues with this website it would take me ages to find who is racing next. I think it's Ricky @ limerick on 5/5 and Oirish @ halstead on ? and Carl 10k ? and spoons @ welsh trail marathon in June ?

Oirish - I bet mrs Oirish is having difficulty controlling herself with your bronzed body ??
23/04/2013 at 21:30

This is much for accurate:

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/training-calculators-improvedriegel.php

23/04/2013 at 21:54

Cheers Spoons that throws out 3:42 which is far more realistic.

Carter - You are right, she hasn't stopped giggling at me yet.

My Halstead & Essex Marathon is on May 12th.

23/04/2013 at 21:56

Spoons - my half was 1:42.31

Carter - yes myself on 5/5 and Oirish the following Sunday 12/5 I think?

Oirish - nice interval session. Strangely I did a very similar session this evening albeit on the treadmill. I hate treadmill running but have started using it for my weekly interval session which I find it useful for & the time seems to pass much more quickly than using it for a tempo run. Also it is in our Sunroom presently so is a very warm session and hopefully will give me some heat acclimatisation if Limerick is experiencing a heatwave on 5th May

So 6 miles tonight incorporating 6 x 0.5mls @ 7.00 pace with 0.25ml recoveries @ 9.30 pace

23/04/2013 at 22:04

Spoons just tried that predictor link you posted - much more realistic: (do I have time for a sex change before Limerick? Seems it's worth 20 secs a mile!)

A half marathon time of 1:42:31 gives a marathon time of 3h54m13s for men and 3h46m32s for women     
23/04/2013 at 22:30
I am being a marshall at the Sheffield HM on 12/5. It was too soon after Manchester so I thought I would marshall instead. In the 3 races I've run so far I have appreciated the support so thought it was time for me to give a bit back.

I've also been re-thinking my plans for the rest of the year. Originally, this incorporated a couple of ultras later in the year. With the ITB issue I've got I reckon i will end up missing about 3 months of good running so running ultras is going to be a big ask considering this is my first year of real running. So, my focus now is an autumn marathon, location to be determined. In the meantime, I need to build back up my endurance base and will probably follow Carl's idea of entering some 10k races. I also think I will take up the option of the half at lake Coniston rather than the full
23/04/2013 at 22:33

Having trawled back through the recent history, I reckon that going forward this year this thread is doing the following :

May 5th Limerick marathon - Ricky

May 12th Halstead & Essex marathon - Oirish

May 27th Bupa London 10k - Carl

June 22nd Wales Trail marathon - Spoons

July 7th Lake Coniston Trail marathon - Carter

August 10th Long Tour of Bradwell (53k 2300m climb) - Carter

September 22nd  Ladybower 20m - Carter (why not the 50miles ?)

October 6th Chester marathon - Carter

October 6th Royal Parks HM - Carl

October 28th Dublin marathon - Ricky, Bruno, Oirish and Carl

Big G - how are you getting on with things for your May 5th marathon. Last time you were on here things were looking a little better. Still the case ? and if you are I have forgotton which marathon you are doing (sorry).

If anyone has anything else to add at this stage just copy and paste.

We should probably keep a record of the PB's taht we are delivering as well just for fun.

23/04/2013 at 22:44
Spoons. wrote (see)

Carl - that plan looks good and 45 minutes sounds very achieveable. Make your tempo run pace your goal 10km pace. Make sure your intervals are faster than 10km pace (to make 10km pace feel easy).

Spoons - you are correct. My interval pace is meant to be similar to what I would run a mile race at so this is probably about 6:15mm pace.

Bit of a miscommunication in my house tonight. Was a bit later home from work tonight than planned and Mrs Carl greeted me to say that she was going to the gym. I thought I had booked my running slot but apparantly not !!!! So my 10k training has to start tomorrow night instead.

I will juggle this week and do the tempo run tomorrow with the intervals on Thursday, rest on Friday and then do Saturday and Sunday.

23/04/2013 at 22:47

Just realised that I missed one. List now amended.

May 5th Limerick marathon - Ricky

June 22nd Wales Trail marathon - Spoons

July 7th Lake Coniston Trail marathon - Carter

August 10th Long Tour of Bradwell (53k 2300m climb) - Carter

September 22nd  Ladybower 20m - Carter (why not the 50miles ?)

September 29th Robin Hood marathon - Spoons

October 6th Chester marathon - Carter

23/04/2013 at 22:54
carterusm wrote (see)

Carl - I'm going for you to run 41:59 in your 10k !!

Carter - no pressure on me then. There was me trying to do expectation management and blown out of the water already.

Sub 42 is sub 6:45 min/mile pace. That is lightening fast. 

Am going to have to put some 'speed' into my trotters to get close to that.

I could burst my hamstrings at that pace .....................

23/04/2013 at 22:56
carterusm wrote (see)

Happy St George's Day to our Irish contingent out there. I shall be celebrating this evening with some Magners 

Carter - Hope you enjoyed that Magners.

Only been over here for 22 years and I can never remember St Georges Day. Hope you all had a good one.

23/04/2013 at 22:57

Carter - just realised you posted while I have been writing a few essays on here. Will update the list tomorrow.

23/04/2013 at 23:01
carterusm wrote (see)

I was just looking at the 3:30 thread and they have all been posting on there for a few years. With them sharing their knowledge and experiences, and with the ongoing encouragement they give each other, most of them got PBs at VLM and a lot of them have improved there marathon times significantly over the last few years. Hopefully, we will have the same results here if we keep this thread going.

Well said. Fully intend to hang about. So far we have supported each other to PB's in HM's, the full 9 yards (i.e. 26.2 miles) and of course Ricky's 10k.

23/04/2013 at 23:24
oirisheyes wrote (see)
Carl D wrote (see)

Bruno - great work yesterday and great report.

So we are having a party in Dublin in October then. All we need to do now is convince Oirish to join us and we can have a right old knees up.

"Convince me"? Dublin has all been part of my sinister plan for you all for weeks. I have my eye on a 100k in September so it may well be the gentlest of jogs followed by an "end of season" day or two on the lash. Or three.

Oirsih - 100k  

23/04/2013 at 23:25

I have a couple more halfs that I will be doing - updated list:

June 8th Larne Half - Ricky

June 19th Lisburn Half - Ricky

July 7th Lake Coniston Trail marathon - Carter

August 10th Long Tour of Bradwell (53k 2300m climb) - Carter

September 22nd  Ladybower 20m - Carter (why not the 50miles ?)

September 29th Robin Hood marathon - Spoons

October 6th Chester marathon - Carter

Edited: 23/04/2013 at 23:25
23/04/2013 at 23:26

Ricky - as you are next up are you sure you have no niggles that you want to share with us. Cannot have you going off spoiling what has been a great wheeze in taper madness on this thread .......

24/04/2013 at 07:06

Ricky - so you're comfortably aiming for sub 4 then, is that the plan? 3:54 pace?

24/04/2013 at 08:55

Carl - I am really tempted by the whole challenge of 100k, I know it is a very big step up but my workload this summer should give me a lot of time to invest in to my training and it may be the ideal opportunity to take the plunge.

I'm never going to beat my marathon PB and have always been a good endurance athlete rather than particularly pacy so it is preoccupying my thoughts more and more. I think after Halstead I will be looking to go further rather than faster or shorter.

I have always been fascinated by the psychological aspect of running and whilst having the utmost respect for the Marathon and harbouring no illusions how hard it is and the importance of training and preparing correctly I honestly believe the majority of us are capable of more if we were to harness our mental strength. 

Sir Ranulph Fiennes always says that when he is struggling he imagines that he is being chased by guards with dogs whilst escaping a gulag, similarly I have always said that all these people who say they "couldn't run a mile" would knock one out at a moderate pace if a gun was held to their head everytime.

I'm not advocating that as a training technique  but in certain circumstances we find the ability to go beyond what we feel we are capable of, mothers lifting cars off of babies, that kind of thing, so that ability is locked in there somewhere but it is how we access it that I have always been interested in.

As Henry Ford said: "If you think you can, or think you can't do a thing you are probably right"

As for my Marathon pacing strategy? Simple. See what time  Ricky posts the week before and lob off 30 secs for my target time 

24/04/2013 at 09:02

Oirish - what is your marathon PB and when did you run it ? And what is your target for Halstead ? And how old are you now ?

24/04/2013 at 09:05

June 8th Larne Half - Ricky

June 19th Lisburn Half - Ricky

July 7th Lake Coniston Trail 'HALF' marathon - Carter

September 22nd  Ladybower 20m - Carter (why not the 50miles ?) - originally down to run the 50 but missing Manchester means my A race is now an autumn marathon so LB50 would be too close

September 29th Robin Hood marathon - Spoons, possibly Carter (or Chester)

October 6th Chester marathon - possibly Carter (or RH)

October 28th Dublin marathon - Ricky, Bruno, Oirish and Carl - Carter is on his jollies in the Algarve or would be here too

1,841 to 1,860 of 5,331 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.