RW Forum Six – Sub 2.50 Kier with Parkrunfan

21 to 40 of 981 messages
22/12/2012 at 19:57

I see we're making the same old mistake, thinking that mileage is more important than McFlurries

22/12/2012 at 20:09

Given this is the target I have in mind for London next spring I'll be keeping an eye on this thread

Hoping to get my half time down from 1.18.56 to a 1.17.xx by Bath in early march.

22/12/2012 at 20:18

Congrats Keir, look forward to seeing how this all develops!

22/12/2012 at 20:39

So thats Keir, YD, RS78 and myself all aiming for sub 2:50 in April - I think your journey is going to be closely followed Keir

Edited: 22/12/2012 at 20:39
22/12/2012 at 20:56

Congrats Keir  

22/12/2012 at 21:11

I'm probably going to be doing mine off lower mileage than in previous years (so as not to be too knackered for Uni) but focussing on more quality. It'll be a more relaxed approach generally but I'll be interested to see how the key sessions on here compare with my own.

22/12/2012 at 21:12
Nice one Keir BUT. .....we all really need to spell his name right guys;-)

Good luck with this. I have a feeling you can do it
22/12/2012 at 22:24

Nice one Keir, will be following the thread but not the training schedule. I hoping for a 3.05 so I guess there will be some nuggets (Not Mcflurries) of training info that will be useful.

23/12/2012 at 08:49

Oh, wow! Thanks guys. I'm a bit stunned!

I thought the decision was going to be announced on Xmas eve, so wasn't going to check till then. I've been a bit busy in the meantime working on producing my 51st child Minni! Mind you, isn't it tradition for one of the winners to do a bunk and not post for several days on the sister competition? 

Welcome guys / followers / future critics.  Hopefully this and the other threads will all give us some extra motivation to get out the door and hit our 2013 targets, as well as an opportunity fr some banter.

Special welcome to the other forumsix entrants and also PRF. Let's all look and learn and share advice with each other.

I'm typing with 1 hand, baby in other whilst shoutring at the 2 older boys who are rearranging the dining room into an assault course. I'll be dodging puddles on a 15miler later, but will post a lot more details f my proposed training plan later, especially miles for YD. I do agree with BR - the more the better generally - but we all have a limit before we breakdown and lifestyle limits as well.

23/12/2012 at 08:56
Barnsley Runner wrote (see)

I note that Keir ran 16:06 for 5000m back in 2000, so clearly has the potential to extrapolate that to a sub 2:50 marathon, all other factors dependent.

Sorry to disappoint BR - bt that is a Po10 error. But I didn't inform them as I quite liked the look of it 

23/12/2012 at 09:49
At last keir! So pleased you got this.
23/12/2012 at 09:52

Yippee! Well done Keir!

23/12/2012 at 10:59

You ought to email Pof10.  I once did that.  I'm sure your mentor will be able to tell the story...

23/12/2012 at 11:14

I'm still interested to know whether the P&D plan will be used as a basis for training, or whether the approach will now change?

23/12/2012 at 11:19

Keir - seeing as you've already run a 2:54 marathon, you've obviously been doing something right, so why do you think having someone like PRF, who is after a similar time to you will help you achieve faster?

23/12/2012 at 11:26

congrats Keir! Very happy you got through

TR
23/12/2012 at 11:50

It will be interesting to see if the pupil can beat the mentor.

23/12/2012 at 13:50

Probably a bit early for PRF and myself to get into any sort of smack down talk Hilly and TR. Neither PRF or I have net nor talked previously so I don't know how it will be with us both going for the same goal. However I sent this PM to a couple of people who questioned my reasons for entering the competition:

"I don't want to take up the thread discussing the mentor / mentee debate. Lets face it, a 2.30 marathon runner would be a good mentor for a sub 2.50 attempt just as a 4hr marathon runner could be good for a sub 5 attempt. If sub 2.50 is too fast for coaching / mentoring then what is the point of all the UKA coaches?

My endurance knowledge is good, but I am not an expert and am learning all the time from experience and also through these threads. Sometimes from faster, sometimes from slower runners.   

What I am after is a sounding board. I was really impressed by how Gobi mentored Martin a few years ago and would like someone who could not impose their theory / practice onto me, but would advise regarding which sessions to do when. I do get a bit stuck trying to incorportate too many different approaches to my training and some guidance to steer me through that maze for the best possible outcomes would be really useful.

I wouldn't enter the Asics competition. Way too public and to much pressure to do exactly what you are told to do. But I would value the learning process through being mentored.

My only concern is in the past (over 20 yrs ago now) I found that I would feel guilty if I missed a coaches session and actually prefered to coach myself and seek advce from others. However having a 'critical frend' is always useful in keeping you focused on the bigger picture."

I will post more details on my training as promised later today PRF.

23/12/2012 at 14:04
Great post Keir.
Cheerful Dave    pirate
23/12/2012 at 14:19
And if all else fails, you could pace each other round. Everyone's a winner!
21 to 40 of 981 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.