RW Forum Six – Sub 2.50 Kier with Parkrunfan

401 to 420 of 981 messages
20/01/2013 at 12:41

Good stuff MM. I ran similar. Yaktrax's fitted and left the house into the falling snow after only a pint of water for breakfast (secretly cursing PRF!). I removed the yaktrax after 1 1/2 miles when I realised the snow was so soft and fresh, despite being icy underneith, trail shoes were fine, so the yaktrax has a nice 18.5m carry in my hand! I decided that pace wasn't going to happen, I might as well go exploring and went along some new trails along the North Downs way and managed to follow my sense of direction to get back onto familiar lanes later on. Felt quite like narnia out there running through pine forests, although the only animal of note was a hare (I had forgetten how large they can be). Felt a bit hungary around the 11 - 12m mark, but that could be due to a sudden stomach emptying at mile 9 (more gingerbread house than gingerbreadman!) I had to take it really slowly along some very rutted and frozen trails where the snow covered the uneven surface for fear of twisting an ankle. 2.50m/m consistently for the first 2 hours, but somehow this dropped to 2.42m/m ave by the time I got home. Originally had 18.7 on the garmin, so ran up and down a bit to make it 20 especially to please YD

Legs tired, as normal after 20m, but no adverse effects from the unfuelled thing. Perhaps there is something in it? 

63m for the week.

20/01/2013 at 12:59

Mine was unfuelled too. Huge dinner last night though of pasta, garlic bread, salad, red wine and a magnum!! Just a cup of tea this morning though until 13 miles when I decided a gel would be good as I felt a bit low. I do this every week though as so nice now kids are bigger they are sleep in. All awake at 8am today, so only had 10 mins for quick cuppa before I had to head out to meet the others. Just had massive bowl of cereal and beans on toast and about to cook beef stew for dinner .

Some more core work this afternoon as got to help clear the paths and car park at school in the hope that they will be in tom!

2.50 miling Keir!!!? 8.50s or 7.50s?

20/01/2013 at 14:28
parkrunfan wrote (see)

No Brass Monkey tomorrow and no rearrangement either, just a straight cancellation. If nothing else it at least saves YD from taking another beating

Fighting talk, lets see how cocky you are after the Dewsbury 10k in a couple of weeks….

Excellent work on the 20 miler MM, nice weekly mileage total as well.

You couldn’t resist rounding up could you Keir? I did a lap round a football pitch to round my run up to 20 today! Not that we are OCD or anything.
All good miles today, not sure I want to be hearing about your toilet habits though!
Have you got one more week before the magic/big/hard/hideous/special 8?

After finding out that BM was cancelled I went out for an extra run last night and that was a struggle. So unsurprisingly the 20miles in the hills this morning  was hard work. Not an easy route to be fair and running in the snow takes a bit more out of you (in my experience), so all good toughening up miles in the end.

A lovely route though, I will use it again. At one point a random dog came bounding out after us and just followed us. We couldn’t get it to go back home, so in the end the dog dig 9 miles and got a ride home in the back of my mates car  The owner was chuffed, as we saved him the bother of having to walk the dog in the snow!

20/01/2013 at 14:34

Me trying to control our new companion!

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/596241/gallery/20130120_113159.jpg?width=350

20/01/2013 at 15:15

Only a light dusting of snow up north, so no need for yaktrax or even trail shoes, as suguested by Keir my long run today consisted of 8 miles easy, with 4 at perceived HMP, WOW! what a tough workout, I'm slowly recovering watching the footie on the telly.

Stats for run

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/696098/gallery/20jan.jpg?width=350

the HMP pace was actually quicker than I thought it should be, and I'm not sure I could maintain that pace for 13.1.  I'm happy i've tried this type of run it does give me some confidence that my training is progressing along nicely, but not quite sure what I should concentrate on over the next 8 weeks.

20/01/2013 at 17:41

I was thinking of you and your husband on my run MM. How on the earth do you fit so much in? How old are your kids. On the one hand, a young family is a lot of work (mine are 6, 4 and 11mths) but as they get older they need trips out and sports / activity clubs. How many hours do you both fit in training per week at the moment and do you have a live in baby-sitter?

Well done on doing the HMP work SC. I was a cold day which always make pacey work hard and looking round the threads a lot of people abandoned their MP work in their LSR today. Come race day, when warmer, have other competitors and are in racing gear I am sure you should be able to hold that pace for mch longer. How did the HR compare to your usual HM HR?

YD, we have plenty of dogs down our way but they usually take a bit more persuasion to come home on a Saturday evening. Looks like you have something which smells very appealing to that dog in the picture. Have you been stuffing sauages down your tights for padding?

20/01/2013 at 18:02

Yes, it was a Wall's

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/596241/gallery/walls_sausages.jpg?width=350

20/01/2013 at 18:38
I've only ran one, avgHR 167(88%) @9:30mm, so I'm quicker for around the same effort, which is a pleasant surprise, I'm going to introduce a tempo/progressive run into the schedule probably on a Wednesday, and another couple of slow runs with some HMP.
20/01/2013 at 18:38

A lot of understanding Keir between us, both been running at a high-ish level since we were teenagers, met at uni in the cross country club, so we totally get it. Hubbie cycles about 100-125 miles per week but he cycles to and from work one way or both ways, he runs about 4 times per week 20-30 miles and swims once a week.

I run at 5.30-6am most mornings and then go out when he gets in. I run 50 miles a week when ticking over and 80+ when mara training. I also do core stuff for about 2 hours a week. If we both need to run one of us runs on the treadmill. He also travels a bit which scuppers me, but the main reason we bought the treadmill as well as this damn ice! We don't have a live in sitter. Ha!! I wish! I do some runs when wee girl at nursery and boys at school mainly on weds, but not had that luxury until now so was another early doors run and I do have to work the other days she is in nursery.

Boys have football on Sat am normally, so hubbie takes them there and takes wee lass too, so thats a good window for me!

Luckily after his mad challenge last week he has had a week off which has made this weekend easier! The kids totally understand too as they have grown up with one of us out doing something, watching races etc, so its just part of their lives too. They love going to watch races, good thing I guess!

Totally pooped now after yet more sledging with the kids. Somehow a bottle of red opened itself. Must be the stress of cooking dinner and eating it with the kids!

20/01/2013 at 18:48
Haha I'm on the red too. Something about snow makes you want red.

My babies are now 13 & 16 and life is so much easier. They still need taken a lot of places (especially since we live rural) but can also be left alone while I run if Mr Minni isn't home. It's tough when they're younger but I don't think you realise that until they are older and you look back. My daughter didn't sleep through the night till she was 13 (no kidding - that's why I drink!!) so I've had years of sleep deprivation, which is very useful for those early morning runs now!
Edited: 20/01/2013 at 18:49
20/01/2013 at 18:50

Some excellent long stuff being logged today:

Minni 17 Miles

Mitchie 20 Miles

YD 20 Miles with some added dog rustling

Keir 20 Miles on a glass of water (nice to be in your thoughts, Keir, even if it was part of a curse )

So, not a thread full of shirkers then, anyway!

I did my long run mid week with the 20 miles on Wednesday.........but thats no reason to miss out on the fun .

So today was 23.0 Miles in 3:18:21 (8:36/mile).

Again, it flowed well and felt strong enough at the end so very pleased.

And I've actually got round to blogging at last!

20/01/2013 at 18:59
PRF - you are a nutter!
20/01/2013 at 19:11
PRF, loving the blog and its got a cracking name, two 20 milers in a week, that's hard core!
20/01/2013 at 20:20

Normally I would be celebrating - school is shut tomorrow (fingers crossed that my son's school and other son's nursery is still open!). However having read that my mentor has run a 20 and a 23 within 5 days, I don't want to be a 'shirker'! 

Would 14m tomorrow be enough to keep me in your god books PRF

20/01/2013 at 20:40
Keir wrote (see)

Normally I would be celebrating - school is shut tomorrow (fingers crossed that my son's school and other son's nursery is still open!). However having read that my mentor has run a 20 and a 23 within 5 days, I don't want to be a 'shirker'! 

Would 14m tomorrow be enough to keep me in your god books PRF

You're a god? I'll remember to bow or courtsey on the VLM start line then or whatever it is you do when meeting gods!

The only prescription is that you keep it all relaxed and dont break anything but certainly more miles wont do any harm as long as you're not building up niggles/creakiness.

The reason that I'm getting plenty long ones in is that I had a fairly prolonged period of relatively low mileage, say 40-50 mpw, so it feels like my priority should be to get a big aerobic boost going leading into the 8 weeks. But all the same I'd be cutting them short if they were too much of a struggle.

I actually went out to do 22 today but added one on at the end.....just because it feels good to tell a distance that it hasnt beaten you

Stewart - Many thanks!

Minni - It has been said before But then again it is completely tame compared to those 3 marathons in a week that Njord did a couple of weeks ago.

And guess what he did today after finding out that BM was cancelled? He only went and ran the course of the new Yorkshire Marathon and then added a few miles on to make it up to 30.

Edited: 20/01/2013 at 20:46
20/01/2013 at 21:27

Now there is a nutter!! I wonder if he'll come up here and recce some routes for me while I sip wine at home.  

21/01/2013 at 15:25

I made the most of my day off by getting a lie-in, writing a bit more of my assignment, taking my middle child sledging and getting in a 16m run. First 4m with Yaktrax @ 8.20m/m - but this dropped to an average of 7.49m/m by the time I had got home as the final 12m were on clear tarmac. Legs tired. Not sure if that was because of the 20m yesterday or from running 16m in trail shoes on tarmac. Either way, all good strengthening stuff. 

21/01/2013 at 16:57

Keir - Very positive that 20 milers are being brushed off easily enough. That is the main thing that we're looking for at this stage, ie being comfortable enough with distance that you can still train normally the next day.

A good platform to build the meatier stuff on top of in the next few weeks.....

21/01/2013 at 20:43

This week (final preparation week before the magic8) training was going to look like this:

Mon - 5m easy
Tue - 8m inc strides
Wed - 14m inc 7m Mara effort
Thur - 5m easy
Fri - 10m inc final 4m @ 7:30, 6:40, 6:10, 5:50
Sat 8m XC
Sun 21m Hilly

However I felt a bit tired at the end of last week and was going to adjust this so I can start the following week fresh. Also, unexpectedly having today off work I got in 16m MLR. So I am thinking of this for the rest of the week:

Tue  - 5m easy
Wed - 14m inc 7m Mara effort
Thur - 5m easy / or rest
Fri- 5m inc strides
Sat 8m XC
Sun 21m Hilly

So essentially dropping the 10m progressive. As an alternative I could do this but drop the 7m @ Mara effort (85%bpm). What do you think PRF?

21/01/2013 at 21:18

YD, prf et al - I see the BM isn't going to be rescheduled or refunded (I didn't expect either of these) but I also see they are not going to give guarantee entry to next year.   I thought this would have been a nice gesture under the circumstances.  Not that I'm too bothered.

Keir - you got the cutest little baby face.   Sounds like a great day off for you.  Mine was the only school in the country open!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.